Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Miller Harris Cuir d'Oranger : orange-coated leather

Notes: Orange oil from Valencia, pettigrain, orange flowers from Tunisia, jasmin from Egypt, iris absolute, leather with birch tar, Spanish ciste, oak moss and patchouli.

Cuir D'Oranger (Cdo) is one of the more interesting "leather" scents that I have encountered recently, and surprisingly it may be one of my summer staples. Don a leather jacket, grab an orange, step out into searing heat and you are set to experience Cdo.

Cdo opens with a burst of bitter citrus which immediately piques the senses. Gradually the jasmin and iris heart, while being discreet, tame this intense opening. The floral heart is sandwiched between two intense notes set, and thus isnt explicit in its performance. The bitter orange accord is here to stay because it plays a starring role in Cdo. The base reveals a smorgasboard of notes: stinky birch tar, desiccant moss, and drafts of leather. Its dirty, raw, and alluring at the same time. The bitter orange swirls through this rich mossy base, providing a sharp contrast to the dry animalic show on display. The resulting accord smells like if a batch of raw oranges was left to decompose on a leather seat in a car in 100 degree heat...weird, but interesting. The moss-birch laden base reaches your nostrils filtered through a veil of orange oil.

CdO is definitely worth a try. Its more of an oakmoss-dominant fragrance than a leather one. In cooler weather, the moss base is more prominent (thus Cdo smells drier), while in warmer weather, the bitter orange top melds well with the moss-birch base to create enticing sillage.

Whats your take on Cuir d'Oranger ?

What other Miller Harris fragrances do you like ?
    -

Default Re: Miller Harris Cuir d'Oranger : orange-coated leather

While I have never sampled Cuir d'Oranger (sounds like I should), I have had the opportunity to try Citron Citron, Tangerine Vert, and Feuilles de Tabac.
    There seems to be a common oakmoss? theme in this line maybe. I especially like Tangerine Vert and don't experience the longevity issues many comment on with this scent. Feuilles de Tabac is a nice scent as well; I get lots of patchouli in this one and it is linear for the most part. I don't own any Miller Harris scents at the moment but not sure why that is. I like what I have tried, but have not fallen in love with any yet.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 22nd March 2007 at 01:35 PM.

Did you try the Cuir D'oranger from a spray or a vial? I'm curious about what the longevity and sillage are like from spraying as opposed to dabbing from a vial.

Quote Originally Posted by sdmilne View Post
    Did you try the Cuir D'oranger from a spray or a vial? I'm curious about what the longevity and sillage are like from spraying as opposed to dabbing from a vial.
    I have been using a 5ml euro dropper decant - there seem to be no issues with longevity and sillage here. Both are pretty good (an application lasts 7 hours on me)
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I have been using a 5ml euro dropper decant - there seem to be no issues with longevity and sillage here. Both are pretty good (an application lasts 7 hours on me)
    Where are there decants available? I've not had much luck finding any since my sample ran out.

Quote Originally Posted by sdmilne View Post
    Where are there decants available? I've not had much luck finding any since my sample ran out.
    Try the store "LuLu's Luxuries" on Ebay
    -