Code of Conduct

Default New Version Dior Homme-yee Ha!

Well, first, I went to Holt Renfrew in Ottawa, which really should have a better selection than it does and found out that there is a new version of Dior Homme hitting the stores June 1.

I saw the educational literature that the SA's receive and it states the fragrance is a 'cologne', stronger....the excitement caused me to blank out and faint in the store so I don't remember the note pyramid.

The bottle seems to be taller, no diversion from the current style of Dior homme.

Ain't that nice?
    Last edited by graffham; 24th March 2007 at 01:03 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: New Version Dior Homme-yee Ha!

LOL. Did you hit your head on the edge of the counter as you fainted?

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    LOL. Did you hit your head on the edge of the counter as you fainted?
    No, 'cause I immediately composed myself as I don't like to show retail emotion to the SA's.

OMG. Retail Emotion. I understand. Like falling in love with a car and not wanting the salesman to see that you are drooling.

Dior Homme was a super longevity and sillage monster on me, so I can't possibly bring myself to even imagine what a 'stronger' Dior Homme would be like. Surely they have tinkered a little bit with this new offering huh?

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    I saw the educational literature that the SA's recieve and it states the fragrance is a 'cologne', stronger....the excitement caused me to blank out ?
    Correct me if I'm wrong ... but Dior Homme is an edt. So if this new one is supposed to be a "cologne" ... wouldn't that make it weaker, not stronger???

One would think that a Cologne would be weaker than an EdT......A New Version.....Stronger...Wow.....That's interesting.....Gary

Cologne. I may be wrong but the literature did say it's 'stronger'. So, maybe not a cologne.
    Maybe an EAU DE PARFUM!

But that would be too much to ask for.

The confusion rest with the word "cologne" used as a substitute for "eau de cologne" which is definitely weaker than eau de toilette. The two, however, are not the same and many companies have always issued their lines as colognes. All of the fragrances in the Dior Homme line: Bois d'Argent, Cologne Blanche, and Eau Noire are designated as "colognes" and they are certainly closer to EDP strength than they are to EDT strength.

Another house which issues its fragrances as "colognes" is Czech & Speake. All of their colognes as definitely EDP strength, particularly the vintage versions made in Italy up to about late 2005 and early 2006, after which they shifted their production to England.
    Dior Homme at EDP strength; there is a perfume God after all, and He has heard our prayers.:bounce:

Regards,

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 22nd March 2007 at 08:31 PM.

I wonder if it will have any different notes or if it will just be more potent. Either way, I am very interested and ready to buy.

Maybe by cologne they meant more masculine? Lipstick, powder, and iris are hardly masculine. If that's the case, I'm not so excited, DH always smelled so natural to me, like I just woke up smelling like that today.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Graffham, are you sure it's a different variation of Dior Homme? Maybe she was talking about having the Dior Homme trio: Cologne Blanche, Eau Noire and Bois d'Argent in stores June 1st.

I just want to make sure cuz the Holt Renfrew store here in Vancouver had them available late summer last year. Maybe she was talking about them as they are labeled also as colognes. Thought a stronger Dior Homme would be nice.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 22nd March 2007 at 08:37 PM.

The Dior website updated with a Fahrenheit 32, but it still says the Dior Homme we know is the "new fragrance for men" Maybe it's what nsamadi said?

OH, no. It's a totally new version of Dior Homme. The promotional material showed the new taller bottle, still blockish, in keeping with the original Dior homme.

Again, as was noted, this is a cologne or an edp version like the high-end series cologne blanche, bois d'argent, and eau noire.

But what may be putting off the industry is North American men and their aversion to the term 'eau de parfum'. They know we like our juice strong so maybe this is how they'll do it. They'll get smart and just call them cologne, version extreme, testosterone, etc.
    Last edited by graffham; 22nd March 2007 at 09:17 PM. Reason: typo

Again, as was noted, this is a cologne or an edp version like the high-end series cologne blanche, bois d'argent, and eau noire.
    That sounds great! I'm on my second bottle of Bois d'Argent (this time, it's the 8.4 oz.) and I have to say honestly ... it lasts MUCH longer than most of my edt's, and some of my edp's. Definitely longer than Helmut Lang edp and Daim Blond edp. Even Eau Noire (I was in on that "bottle split" some time back) lasts forever.

North American men and their aversion to the term 'eau de parfum'. They know we like our juice strong so maybe this is how they'll do it. They'll get smart and just call them cologne, version extreme, testosterone, etc.
    So funny ... so true ...
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Yep, it's official.

DIOR HOMME COLOGNE that's what they're calling it. Just called the SA at Holt Renfrew to confirm the name and now you have the facts!

I wonder how it will be changed. I think someone once said that Dior Homme failed to appeal to the American market and that's why Nordstrom stopped carrying it. I hope the Dior Homme Cologne isn't more "friendly" or appealing to the mass market, i.e. typical change that would make average buyers more likely to buy.

Furthermore, if this change does go that way, I hope they don't stop producing the "vintage" version.

So many worries! But I still look forward to trying out the Dior Homme Cologne. Kinda rhymes, if i'm pronouncing the words correctly lol.

Why mess with a masterpiece?

Also, Sephora just started carrying it. Maybe they bought Nordies stock.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I don't know...how come there's no info on the site or anywhere...it's like 2 months before it's release date. I'm still uncertain cuz I never really trust what SA's say..I'll have to wait and see this for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    how come there's no info on the site or anywhere...I never really trust what SA's say..I'll have to wait and see this for myself.

Well, I have a great relationship with my SA and as the literature was there for me to see and read I find no reason to discount the material. It's too early for April Fool's day.

Just one question about Dior Homme: Has anyone been accused of 'messing around', by their girlfriend/wife, while wearing this?

Honestly, I initially thought that is what it was supposed to smell like: a man who has been with a woman. That is the only way the "make-up" notes made any sense to me.
    You are not your perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    Honestly, I initially thought that is what it was supposed to smell like: a man who has been with a woman. That is the only way the "make-up" notes made any sense to me.
    No not really...if you're familiar with Hedi Slimane's (the designer for Dior Homme) clothing designs...his stuff is really androgynous....even uses 6 foot male models that weight almost 120 pounds.

....even uses 6 foot male models that weight almost 120 pounds.
    6 foot MALE models ALMOST 120 pounds?!?!

You sure they're not Praying Mantis?

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    6 foot MALE models ALMOST 120 pounds?!?!

You sure they're not Praying Mantis?
    Well..they all are extremely thin guys...I think most of them are teen boys...not really males. Just go to vogue.co.uk or mens.style.com and see any present or past mens collection from Dior Homme. His choice of models are a little different then what most designers will use in a show.

His Dior Homme EDT wasn't really any surprise to me...something I would have expected from him.

Well..they all are extremely thin guys...I think most of them are teen boys...not really males. Just go to vogue.co.uk or mens.style.com and see any present or past mens collection from Dior Homme. His choice of models are a little different then what most designers will use in a show.

His Dior Homme EDT wasn't really any surprise to me...something I would have expected from him.
    Very interesting - is Dior Homme marketed to effeminate men ?
    -

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Unhappy Re: New Version Dior Homme-yee Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Just one question about Dior Homme: Has anyone been accused of 'messing around', by their girlfriend/wife, while wearing this?

I sprayed some on the other night just before going out for dinner, and I found it to be almost annoyingly feminine. I have worn it before but this time it got to me in a different way. I had to wet-wipe most of it off and still had a sillage that was almost too much female powder-like. I will give it another go in a week or so but this past wearing was not very pleasant for me. Too many better scents in my collection for me.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Very interesting - is Dior Homme marketed to effeminate men ?
    I don't really know....the way the clothes are represented in his runway shows are a lot different then the stuff actually hitting the stores. I frequent the forums at thefashionspot.com and everyone from guys with a 36 inch waist to girls there wear Dior Homme. I don't think there's really a target market.

I'm 6'2 220 pounds, far from effeminate. I spend a lot of time around beautiful women of various ages, temperaments, backgrounds, and lifestyles. They almost universally tend to love Dior Homme, want to know the name so they can buy it for their husbands, boyfriends etc. I've asked several of them if they think it's feminine. "Oh nooooo" is the general response.

Matter of fact, if I were looking to get laid (I've been with the same woman for many years and tend not to look anymore) Dior Homme would be something I'd wear. It's not my girlfriend's favorite, but she also doesn't find it feminine.

I've asked a lot of people what they think of certain fragrances. It invariably contradicts popular opinion here on Basenotes. One thing to keep in mind is the difference between the sillage perceived by others, and what you smell directly on your skin, etc The difference is often profound.

Besides my own body, my girlfriend's has been the testing ground for hundreds of fragrances. It's fun, and always provides a beneficial dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I'm 6'2 220 pounds, far from effeminate. I spend a lot of time around beautiful women of various ages, temperaments, backgrounds, and lifestyles. They almost universally tend to love Dior Homme, want to know the name so they can buy it for their husbands, boyfriends etc. I've asked several of them if they think it's feminine. "Oh nooooo" is the general response.

Matter of fact, if I were looking to get laid (I've been with the same woman for many years and tend not to look anymore) Dior Homme would be something I'd wear. It's not my girlfriend's favorite, but she also doesn't find it feminine.
    Yeah..for sure, the clothes aren't feminine at all....thought the clothes are very slim and in smaller sizes, I think a girl could pull off. I've seen one of the Olsen twins wearing a DH shirt to Kayne West wearing a DH jacket. Thought I think the clothes look better on a slimmer body frame...I think that's what they were meant for.

I'm 215 lbs. and have a 36 inch waist. My friends call me 2 looks. One look is I want to F*** you, the other is, I want to F*** you up. I guess you can say I'm effeminate...(see look #2), but I can't help the way I look...I was born this way

It's a matter of time and place. As much as I like DH, I wouldn't wear while playing football
    Last edited by CuyahogaJoe; 26th March 2007 at 05:30 AM.

are there any images for this new version? ..please!!!

Be careful what you wish for.

See Eau Sauvage Extreme.
    Last edited by MisterK; 26th March 2007 at 05:08 PM.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

After wearing DH for a while now, I can't understand those with a longevity problem. On me, it lasts for a very long time. I'd be interested in smelling the new DH cologne for comparison only. I'm happy with mine.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Oh, I LOVE Eau Sauvage Extreme!
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Hey everyone,

I was in a local department store in the UK (Debenhams) and the assistant at the Dior counter confirmed a 'Cologne' variant of Dior Homme. She said it was due out at the start of June and that it would come in larger sized flacons - sounded kinda like the one's of Bois d'Argent, etc.

I saw a very, very fleeting glimpse of the fact sheet over the assistant's shoulder and the fragrance seems to have additional notes (I assume top notes) such as Bergamote, perhaps even Orange Blossom? (aagh, I can't remember them all now) - but the sorts of notes which definitely seemed to be pushing the fragrance in a more traditional 'cologne' type direction. Hence the name I guess.

What I didn't ask: will it have the same exclusive availability as the other colognes (Eau Noire etc. - which are only available at the Dior counters, and you have to ask for them, they don't seem to make them too visible) or is it intended as a mainstream release. The size of the flacon almosts suggests the same kind of positioning as the previous trio of colognes.

Anyway, just thought I would add this into the mix.

P.S. the Dior assistant told me that her mother very much likes to wear Fahrenheit on herself

hope they have it in paris in a week...
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Anyone who has a problem with longevity with the original Dior Homme, do yourself a favor and when you arrive home for the evening, apply a massive dose. Perhaps up to 6 sprays and witness the most amzing transformation of almost any other cologne.

It truly is amazing after 6-8 hours...just try it. I'd suggest showering first however.

I hope this new introduction isn't a sign of yet another discontinued masterpiece.

Many thanks to TheReservist as I knew I wasn't hallucinating!
    Last edited by graffham; 31st March 2007 at 11:59 AM.

confirmed. Inside information.

Dior Homme, will have now three versions as the old Guerlain classics...
    EDP, EDT and EDC....I dont know if exactly these will be the names. They will have nothing to do with the three colognes line. THey just will be three simple different concentrations of Dior Homme!

cheers!

ugh, now the question is: to buy them all or not?

on another note, I heard that Hedi Slimane has left Dior Homme. Hopefully, the creations under him won't be 'phased out' a la Tom Ford's YSL.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Why mess with a masterpiece?
    Because some of us (obviously not too many people) think it's too thick, too powerful, too sweet or even too "irisy".

The longevity is really a personal chemistry thing, as always is with frags and on me, the DiorH notes stick to me like glue, they just will NOT go away.

I like the idea of a DiorHcologne, and i'm expecting it to be weaker, maybe i'll finally like it then.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post

, I heard that Hedi Slimane has left Dior Homme. .
    yes he had reached a dead end with LVMH & been replaced by his assistant KRIS VAN ASSCHE.

check the article from vogue:

[ KRIS VAN ASSCHE will succeed Hedi Slimane as creative director of Dior. The Belgian designer, who previously worked at the label before launching his own line in 2005, has been chosen by LVMH for his comprehensive knowledge of the company and reputation for fine tailoring. As reported yesterday, contract negotiations between Slimane and Dior had been proving difficult since last June - predominantly because Slimane was keen to start his own label, but reluctant to give up complete control of his trademark. Friction between both parties was said to be filtering down into the rest of the company, and Dior yesterday decided to cut all ties with the designer. According to WWD, the brand is looking to change the direction of its menswear but keen to keep a sense of heritage within future collections. The move, which is bound to shock many in the fashion industry, smacks of the surprising splits between Jil Sander and Helmut Lang, who both left their namesake houses in 2004 and 2005 respectively. (March 29 2007, AM)

Louise Roe ]

I don't know much about Kris Van Assche, but I heard his style and inspiration was much different than Slimane's. I suspect Dior Homme will be heading in a new direction. New perfumes will surely be different, I just hope they don't discontinue the fragrances overlooked by Hedi.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    I don't know much about Kris Van Assche, but I heard his style and inspiration was much different than Slimane's. I suspect Dior Homme will be heading in a new direction. New perfumes will surely be different, I just hope they don't discontinue the fragrances overlooked by Hedi.
    As long as the EDP version smells a lot better than a make-up bag, I really couldn't care less about the internal politics. Period.

I just spoke with a Dior rep at Nordstroms. She said ALL of the Dior Homme had been recalled in December for "repackaging". I asked if the formula would be changed and she said "most of the time when a product is recalled, the formula is changed".

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    As long as the EDP version smells a lot better than a make-up bag, I really couldn't care less about the internal politics. Period.
    Iris has various scent patterns, and the "make-up" bag aroma is one of them. I would highly recommend Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist, which is composed of all iris scent molecules known to man (it also contains the make-up smell, but thankfully it doesnt linger long). There was an interview with Mauric Roucel, the perfumer, which stated this fact.

Another one to try is Hermes Hiris, which is sweeter, but not in the Dior Homme way. And ofcourse MPG Iris Bleu Gris, a raw rooty iris. All are superior to Dior Homme (Iris Silver Mist especially so - it smells like the sum of all aforementioned iris fragrances. Its a serious Iris scent).
    Last edited by zztopp; 31st March 2007 at 10:39 PM.
    -

. . . Another one to try is Hermes Hiris, which is sweeter, but not in the Dior Homme way. And ofcourse MPG Iris Bleu Gris, a raw rooty iris. All are superior to Dior Homme (Iris Silver Mist especially so - it smells like the sum of all aforementioned iris fragrances. Its a serious Iris scent).
    Hey zz. Is this "inferiority/superiority" thing a fact or an opinion?

You have a tendency not to make that distinction clear when talking about fragrances. With a note as complex and quirky as iris, not to mention the fact that as a note it elicits all kinds of idiosyncratic responses, such a tendency is misleading and not very useful, especially to those who haven't tried the fragrances you've tried or who aren't familiar with this protean note.

I actually prefer Dior Homme over all the the fragrances you mention, but that's my preference based on personal taste not on some abstract scale of superiority and inferiority, if, indeed, anything like that really exists in such a subjective thing as fragrance preference. I also tend to prefer Dior Homme over the other fragrances you mention because of what the fragrance does with iris, and I, personally, like and admire what Dior Homme does with iris. I happen to love the makeup bag note. I have no problem with it at all. I am kind of disappointed it doesn't last longer in Iris Silver Mist. I don't see how all those things make it "inferior" and the other fragrances superior and "more serious".

If I were offering iris suggestions, I would explain the characteristics of all the different fragrances and how the iris works within the context of the other notes, warn potential buyers that Iris Bleu Gris is a decidedly acquired taste--there's a lot more going on in that fragrance than just iris, in case you haven't noticed--and I would never couch things in terms of superior and inferior. That's just a little to black and white for me, but, hey, that's just me.

If the formulation does change, I am okay with that. I've got a enough back-up stock of Dior Homme to last a lifetime.

At the very least, even if one doesn't like Dior Homme, one should commend the creative talent behind it for its boldness in a industry which doesn't take many chances. I think if they do change the formulation to make it more generally acceptable, it will be a victory for Luca Turin's third rate accountants. You know, the one's he claims are behind the push toward the ubiquitous middle-of-the-road product that appeals to the many. It's the reality of the market, and I don't have necessarily have a problem with that as long as there are a few releases like Dior Hommes around to liven things up a little and challenge us to rethink things.

Watch Olivier Polge; he's a chip of the old block for sure. I wonder if they're going to let him make the modification?

scentemental

scentemental, LoL @ turins' third rate accountants, I meant to say superior to my nose - I just wrote up that fast because I didnt have time to list the subtle nuances of all the fragrances that I listed, and in what ways they differ (the concerned reader can always read the reviews in the basenotes directory)
    --------------------------------------
    Oh, and its not about Iris Silver Mist being a more "expensive" scent/"niche" - I am not a big Lutens or Turin fan, but ISM does excite me !
    Last edited by zztopp; 1st April 2007 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -

scentemental, LoL @ turins' third rate accountants, I meant to say superior to my nose - I just wrote up that fast because I didnt have time to list the subtle nuances of all the fragrances that I listed, and in what ways they differ (the concerned reader can always read the reviews in the basenotes directory)
    Oh, and its not about Iris Silver Mist being a more "expensive" scent/"niche" - I am not a big Lutens or Turin fan, but ISM does excite me !

It's cool my friend. I am glad that Iris Silver Mist "excites" you. I much more prefer words like those, in case you or anyone else for that matter hasn't noticed.

BTW, I am very glad to hear you really like Iris Bleu Gris. It took me a long time to warm to it, but I finally did. It certainly is a very interesting use of iris to tie together so many disparate notes, including that rotten fruit top note that takes some getting used to it, but once one does, one is amazed and grateful how the whole composition holds together. It is a very distinctive fragrance; certainly on the dandyish side, perhaps even little anachronistic, but boy do I love it. It's my vermilion paisley silk scarf tied around my neck and dark crimson brown corduroy suit and light apricot orange shirt type of fragrance. Dior Homme on the other hand strikes me as a modish light gray slim fit suit with a light pink open neck shirt type of fragrance.

Long live iris-based fragrances is all I can say. I love them all and especially Chanel No. 19 EDT. I just hope they don't mess with the iris element in
    the new incarnation Dior Homme.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 1st April 2007 at 03:19 PM.

Iris has various scent patterns, and the "make-up" bag aroma is one of them. I would highly recommend Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist, which is composed of all iris scent molecules known to man (it also contains the make-up smell, but thankfully it doesnt linger long). There was an interview with Mauric Roucel, the perfumer, which stated this fact.

Another one to try is Hermes Hiris, which is sweeter, but not in the Dior Homme way. And ofcourse MPG Iris Bleu Gris, a raw rooty iris. All are superior to Dior Homme (Iris Silver Mist especially so - it smells like the sum of all aforementioned iris fragrances. Its a serious Iris scent).
    Well now, Silver Mist is an superb fragrance (I dig the smell - earthy, extremely chic) but it wears a little flat compared to Dior Homme, which evolves from the time you put it on until it goes way. For what it's worth, Dior Homme uses the same quality iris found in Chanel's Cuir de Russie, Iris Silver Mist, and Iris Poudre. I'm sure it was made available to Oliver Polge largely in part because of his father's influence. The fragrance is as serious and monomaniacally focused as it gets. There are few to match its quality and construction. I love the shit.

If the new Dior is supposed to hit the streets here in North America around
    1 June, then might it be released sooner in Europe?

Do any of our EU basenoters know if this is the case?

Grazie mille!
    Quote Originally Posted by CuyahogaJoe View Post
    I just spoke with a Dior rep at Nordstroms. She said ALL of the Dior Homme had been recalled in December for "repackaging". I asked if the formula would be changed and she said "most of the time when a product is recalled, the formula is changed".

Was this just for the US? It hasn't happened here in Canada. What about Europe?
    Last edited by graffham; 2nd April 2007 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Basenotes Institution

Any idea if Hedi Slimane had anything to do with the new up-and-coming Dior Homme(s), considering he's no longer at Dior?

I've heard that the new version may hit the shelves before June 1st.

Do any of our European basenoters know if this has been released yet?

There may not be a big ad campaign for this as my source said the Dior rep gave out he info on the new version only as the SAs were leaving the info session.

11 Days till Tuscany!

So..as discussed in this thread..there should be a EDP version of Dior Homme popping up in June...anyone get any info of this? I know there's a EDC with an orange blossom note...but what about the EDP that was promised.

So..as discussed in this thread..there should be a EDP version of Dior Homme popping up in June...
    We definitely need it. Those beautiful notes in DIOR HOMME surely need to project a lot more and for a longer time.

gupts
    Last edited by gupts; 30th May 2007 at 11:08 PM.

For those of you in the UK, the Debenhams department store now has the new Dior Homme Cologne on their shelves at the Dior boutiques.

I managed to try it yesterday. Unfortunately, for me, it is too similar to the original to warrant a purchase, i.e. I can't really tell the difference in terms of sillage and experience once it settles into the skin - however, I will admit that my olfactory skills are fairly basic.

I'm disappointed because I was hoping for a lighter more ethereal interpretation, taking it more in a traditional 'cologne' type direction. It did seem as strong as, if not slightly more so, than the original.

P.S. I noticed that the Lancome boutiques now have Hypnose Homme available.