Code of Conduct

Default My last few weeks sniffin ...

Time to run down my last few frantic weeks of fragrance sniffing hoping for that new "favorite" frag. It wasn't all that fruitful, but here's how it went:

Bloomie's,

Kiton Black - Better than the original, but considering I didn't like the original, not THAT much better to make it bottle worthy. I get a bit of Versace Black Jeans/Jean Pascal Quimbaya out of it. Even if I did like it though, the longevity was very bad on my skin and was gone without a trace in couple hours.

JPG Fleur du Male - I actually bought this that day. It had been so long since I smelled Le Male I guess I didn't realize the similarity between the two when the SA sprayed it on me. I know I really liked Le Male when I first sampled it but quickly grew tired of it. Needless to say, I returned FdM because it smells way too similar to Le Male. As someone pointed out in another thread, just a "dirtier" version of Le Male. I don't get the "orange blossom" that's supposed to be in there at all.

Prada Amber - This is what I exchanged Fleur de Male for. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but, for me, it has just the right amount of "soapiness" and freshness to use as an everyday or office frag. Longevity is average, but I overspray soo friggin' much, I force "all day" out of it. I don't get a true amber feel out of it like I do with Amber Preceiux or Amber Extreme, but it was still "bottle worthy" to me.

Baldessarini Amber - This is the one I went to Bloomie's to buy. Great scent, great longevity, good sillage. I don't get the "amber" in this one at all either. It's still good. But you know what ... it pisses me off that my body chemistry doesn't work well with it at all. Sadly, this is the only way to see how a fragrance will work is a full day's "all over" wearing. It was a much different frag after my skin got done with it. It's now on my sale list in that forum.

Michel Germain Sexual - Puke in a bottle. Period. Perhaps the most overpoweringly nasty scent I've ever experienced. The topnotes are tolerable ... but way downhill after that. The SA told me that Michel Germain guarantees you'll have a sexual experience wearing this frag. Without taking a breath, my immediate reaction was ... "WILL SOMEONE ELSE BE IN THE ROOM WITH ME?". She snickered and put the bottle back in the tray.

Lord & Taylors,

Burberry Summer - Someone's earlier post hit the nail right on the head. A great first "two minutes" ... but after that, just another mainstream, cloying, cologney ... what I like to call "turtle tank" drydown. Guaranteed you've smelled this a thousand times.

Nautica Voyage - Same as most of Nautica's releases. Not bad, but very common and definitely geared toward a younger crowd. Drydown was a bit cloying (not as bad as Burberry Summer), and longevity was as expected, poor.

Nautica Island Voyage - Actually, not that bad. As with Voyage, longevity was poor. But it reminded me of a variation of Aramis Bermuda Tonic. Nothing to run out and buy, but really not bad. May work in a very hot climate where body heat will prolong the scent.

Nordstrom's,

CK IN 2U Him - I hate to admit liking anything from CK, but this one really was nice. Very fresh, a bit soapy, and not cloying at all. Thankfully, the one thing that stopped me from buying it was the longevity wasn't poor ... it was abysmal. I literally wasn't out the door 5 minutes and couldn't smell a damn thing on my wrist. Nothing!

Gucci PH II - This was the second time I tried this on and I'm really trying to force myself to like it. I had such high hopes for this and it's really let me down. It's not a bad frag by any means as most have said already but I don't think it's anything groundbreaking. It's bugged me for a week now to figure out what I've smelled that's similar ... and it finally hit me. Not that it's the same, but Trafalgar from Truffet & Hill smells similar to me. And since I have that and rarely wear it, I doubt I will ever warm up to GPH II.

Neiman Marcus,

Creed Virgin Island Water - Forget it. Great scent, well made, VERY long lasting ... but spill a Pina Colada on yourself and you'll get the same effect. I'll wait for their next release.

There was a small silver lining in this mostly fruitless couple weeks of fragrance hunting. While I was in Bloomingdale's, I spotted a bottle of Michel Germain's Deauville. I asked the SA if that was new, and she said "no, it's been out since 1999". I wasn't expecting much after the "Sexual" nausea ... but I was personally blown away by it. Now I'm not telling everyone to run out and sample this, it's a personal choice. But I find it weird this one is hardly mentioned around here with all the boring mainstream frags being sometimes praised. Longevity isn't all that great, but a few spritzes on my clothes and I get all day out of it. A very "non-mainstream" pleasant fresh scent that I think would work in any situation. Went right into my current faves and is my new "office" scent.

So 2007 for me is starting out much like 2006 did. Many disappointments but at least I'll be saving some money for the ones I really want. I still expect to buy Anvers II when LuckyScent gets it in. And L'Artisan's Amber Extreme is a definite buy with the "basenotes" discount at BeautyCafe.

Guess I'll just keep searchin' ...
    Last edited by ziffy321; 23rd March 2007 at 12:36 AM.

Default Re: My last few weeks sniffin ...

ziffy321,
    I feel your pain. I am going to Dallas next weekend and there is really nothing that I really even want to try. I will walk through Barneys to sniff Le Labo Vetiver 46 and maybe sniff Zagorsk again. I am satisfied with my new finds Richard James and Kiton for now. I would like to sniff Bois d'Argent if they carry it at SAKS or Neiman Marcus also.

I have hope for Tom Ford's scent later this year, maybe the Bond no. 9 Brooklyn frag in the fall. Also I am curious for Andy Tauer's lavender scent coming in April. Beyond that, I will spend some money on golf and biking.

oh and I forgot to add..Anvers 2 is very nice...floral Santal Noble and Daim Blond kind of mix.

barry
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 23rd March 2007 at 12:55 AM.

JWS, you should have told me you were looking for Le Labo Vetiver 46, I could have saved you a trip to Dallas

I've actually been having much better luck with my latest samplings. I've given up on Macy's, but Saks and Nordstroms has been qite good. Hugh Parsons original $70 for 3.4, 99 Regent Street $37 (online), Jil Sander Man Pure $57 4.2 (deal of a lifetime) among others. Boucheron Jaipur EdP for $80 1.7 oz has been the only newer frag I've found at a local shop. Saks didn't even have Acqua di Parma Colonia in the 180 ml. limited edition flacon, so I had to buy that online too.

CJ,

Yep, you have been busy. All great buys by the way. Actually, I have never sniffed Vetiver 46, so will run through Barneys to try. I can't spend alot of time frag shopping there. My friends that I go to visit are not very patient with my frag sniffing.

ziffy321,
    I'd be interested to see...

Edit: Nevermind.
    Last edited by Shiver; 23rd March 2007 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CuyahogaJoe View Post
    JWS, you should have told me you were looking for Le Labo Vetiver 46, I could have saved you a trip to Dallas

I've actually been having much better luck with my latest samplings. I've given up on Macy's, but Saks and Nordstroms has been qite good. Hugh Parsons original $70 for 3.4, 99 Regent Street $37 (online), Jil Sander Man Pure $57 4.2 (deal of a lifetime) among others. Boucheron Jaipur EdP for $80 1.7 oz has been the only newer frag I've found at a local shop. Saks didn't even have Acqua di Parma Colonia in the 180 ml. limited edition flacon, so I had to buy that online too.
    Don,

Where did you find the Regent St for that price?

Thanks.

jim

It was a mis-labeled online auction from a new seller. I took a risk and won

I never expected much from the Guccis, Gaultiers, Burberry's or the Nautica's but 2007 is/will be exciting. (I didnt like Gucci I or any of the Gaultier scents)

The Chanel Exclusifs were launched last month. Although they didnt live up to the (frankly, unrealistic) hype, Chanel devotees will find a scent or two to add to their collection.

L'Artisan have launched their all organic line and a new fragrance based off on that (Jatamansi)

Tom Ford and Creed will also be releasing their exclusive collections later this year. (Tom Ford this summer)

YSL has Kouros:Tattoo Edition coming this summer.

Mugler released an interesting coffrent-scent collection.

Gendarme is going to release a new scent called "Sky", which promises to be interesting.

Caron will be releasing a new fragrance this year (summer?) called Caron L'Astrolabe.

Hermes will launch a new Hermesscence in November,

A new Versace scent for men will be launched this fall.

Kenzo will launch a new fragrance for men this september.

So, theres still a lot to look forward to this year despite your initial disappointment. The Chanels have got this year to a good start and I am quite pleased with VIW (summer staple)
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    The Chanel Exclusifs were launched last month. Although they didnt live up to the (frankly, unrealistic) hype, Chanel devotees will find a scent or two to add to their collection.
    It'll be at least five years until it's known whether they lived up to the hype.