Code of Conduct

Default Yatagan reformulated?

I am down to the dregs of a bottle of Yatagan I purchased several years ago- the bottle with the reddish brown lable. I just bought a new one before my old stock runs dry- the one with a white and red box and the white bottle lable. To me, it seems like the longevity is much shorter, and the formulation ever so slighty different.

Anyone else experience this?
    Last edited by Dayknight; 20th April 2007 at 05:13 AM.

Default Re: Yatagan reformulated?

I went back to Yatagan too, after several years. The longevity seems less on me also but I don't think the formula has changed. The last time I used it, it was splash and I'm sure I was simply wearing more. Also, my nose is much more educated about picking apart the notes so I'm noticing new things. That's what I really think it is.
    Caron has always re-packeaged their scents--and often--and I don't think they reformulate them every time.
    BTW, if you like Yatagan, try (if you haven't) Aramis Devin. Very similar but softer, gentler, kinder.
    Every once in a while, when I happen to wear either one at the right moment, with the right mood, weather, temp, humidity...they're magic. Of course, this applies to any scent as far as I'm concerned.
    RM

This is what happens when a bottle gets old. As the alcohol in the favorite scent starts to evaporate and the top notes in the bottle begin to change/disappear, the fragrance starts to change little by little. You probably don't notice any difference because it happens over time. Pretty soon the juice is stronger and the scent has slightly changed into something with mostly middle and base notes. You finish the bottle and throw it out. When you get your replacement bottle it seems lighter and brighter than your beloved scent. It isn't like you remembered at all! Although that can sometimes be the case, I don't remember Yatagan being reformulated but I know for a fact that the bottle has been updated. I have a fairly new bottle and it smells just like the old stuff to me. I will do some research though and see what I find out.

You know this doesn't happen to those with just a few bottle of scent. They can use it up before the changes start happening (this definitely wouldn't be me!).
    Last edited by paintrman; 20th April 2007 at 05:45 AM.

I don't want to suggest your nose judgment is off, Dayknight, but one thing I wonder about in these situations is what I think of as "new bottle phenomenon." I can never put my finger on it exactly, but it always seems to me that a new bottle takes a few wearings to get settled the right way inside the glass, so to speak. With one famous name high quality product that I love, I wondered if my new bottle was half water, but now that it's a tenth gone, it smells great and lasts like a previous bottle.

Of course this might not be what's up with your Yatagan, but I can't help but mention it as a possibility either now or for anyone else wondering at what seems to be bottle to bottle changes.
    --Chris
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    This is what happens when a bottle gets old. As the alcohol in the favorite scent starts to evaporate and the top notes in the bottle begin to change/disappear, the fragrance starts to change little by little. You probably don't notice any difference because it happens over time. Pretty soon the juice is stronger and the scent has slightly changed into something with mostly middle and base notes. You finish the bottle and throw it out. When you get your replacement bottle it seems lighter and brighter than your beloved scent. It isn't like you remembered at all! Although that can sometimes be the case, I don't remember Yatagan being reformulated but I know for a fact that the bottle has been updated. I have a fairly new bottle and it smells just like the old stuff to me. I will do some research though and see what I find out.

You know this doesn't happen to those with just a few bottle of scent. They can use it up before the changes start happening (this definitely wouldn't be me!).
    Blast! If I had only written my post three minutes earlier I wouldn't be second to Paintrman all over again.

Great post buddy!
    --Chris
    Last edited by DustB; 20th April 2007 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Definetely reformulated after the new packaging,longevity is too short and smells different.
    I am sure that only the first packaging (light brown color box with the yatagan through)is the original formulation,

The first time I hear about reformulation concerns with Carons, but it has been only three years that I smelled Yatagan for the first time. For the strength and age this cologne has I always found it a little short lived.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

If it's reformulated, it could only get better My first(and last) bottle nearly made me hurl!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Wink Re: Yatagan reformulated?

In the 1980's I wore Yatagan and I thought it smelled like patchouli and leather. Everyone around me hated it - I thought, next to Van Cleef and Arpels, it was the living end.
    When I recently tried it, the experience was more like a salty spice rub. Like Lutens Ambre Sultan without the honey. I didn't enjoy it.

I might have to put this one to a test and see if a "fresh old bottle" has more longevity than the "fresh new bottle."

I have a newer bottle of Third Man, and no longevity problems there. That is some severe stuff.

Yatagan is definitely a strange beast. It has grown on me more and more the more I wear it. It definitely reminds me most of New West, with that vegetal, muskiness thrown in.

A love it or really hate it scent, just like I seem to like them.