Code of Conduct

Exclamation Your Fragrance Of Choice When Travelling?

What do you like to wear while traveling on an airplane or a train?

Default Re: Your Fragrance Of Choice When Travelling?

For long haul trips, Thierry Mugler 'Cologne' in a travel sized spray.
    Bvlgari Parfumée Vert Extrême oshiboris, and Hermés Eau d'Orange Verte wipes.

Its a green/citrus revolution!

I wore Dior Fahrenheit on the last plane trip i took...was a 1h15min flight hehehe
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Often, I won't wear any fragrance at all, or if I do, it's something VERY light. Unless flying first class, where you've got enough space to stretch out (which when flying back and forth from Japan costs about as much as a decent used car, so needless to say I NEVER get to do it unless the airline screws up and puts me in the wrong seat), you are in such close proximity to the next person that I feel it's pretty rude to be projecting onto them the whole time, regardless of how "classy" you feel your fragrance to be. On a 15 hour flight, towards the end you are going to be sick of that person no matter how great the juice is.

So, I agree with the earlier mention of Eau d'orange verte. Jil Sander Pure, Helmut Lang EdC, Bulgari eau Thé Blanc and Keiko Mecheri Musc are some others I sometimes wear, though again usually I'll just wear a light body creme of some kind (the Bulgari The Blanc creme is especially light and nice as well). When I get OFF the plane, though... then it's game time and the spritzing begins.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 23rd March 2007 at 06:38 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post
    Often, I won't wear any fragrance at all, or if I do, it's something VERY light.
    That's exactly what I do also. I don't mind overspraying in situations where people can walk away if they don't like what I'm wearing. But sitting elbow to elbow to someone who might not feel the same way about a scent that I do ... with nowhere to go ... is just something I wouldn't do. My last few plane rides have been Bvlgari Black because not only does it stay close to the skin on me, but it doesn't smell like a cologne. A very good choice for traveling.

i agree... chew some gum... 15 hour flights back and forth to japan I couldn't even imagine the boredom

Quote Originally Posted by theissue View Post
    i agree... chew some gum... 15 hour flights back and forth to japan I couldn't even imagine the boredom
    It's close to torture, to tell the truth. Even if you manage to get an entire night's sleep on the plane (which I usually do thanks to heavy barbituates)... you've still got 7 more hours! And, trust me, you can only watch the lame in-flight movies so many times. The worst trip I had was about three years ago when they had an error with the projection system and all we could watch was Jackie Chan's "The Tuxedo" in a continual loop. I no longer fear hell now, knowing it couldn't possibly be worse than that.

Blog Entries

I agree w/ TM Cologne. I also wear Clinique Happy a lot when I'm out of town. Heck, I wear Clinique Happy a lot when I'm anywhere!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Basenotes Institution

Jo Malone fragrances are perfect for traveling on a plane, her smaller size bottles are perfect for traveling and the scents have really low longevity and sillage, but you can still smell them on yourself when you apply them.

The downside, they're so friggin' expensive

Question Re: Your Fragrance Of Choice When Travelling?

Often, I won't wear any fragrance at all, or if I do, it's something VERY light. Unless flying first class, where you've got enough space to stretch out (which when flying back and forth from Japan costs about as much as a decent used car, so needless to say I NEVER get to do it unless the airline screws up and puts me in the wrong seat), you are in such close proximity to the next person that I feel it's pretty rude to be projecting onto them the whole time, regardless of how "classy" you feel your fragrance to be. On a 15 hour flight, towards the end you are going to be sick of that person no matter how great the juice is.

So, I agree with the earlier mention of Eau d'orange verte. Jil Sander Pure, Helmut Lang EdC, Bulgari eau Thé Blanc and Keiko Mecheri Musc are some others I sometimes wear, though again usually I'll just wear a light body creme of some kind (the Bulgari The Blanc creme is especially light and nice as well). When I get OFF the plane, though... then it's game time and the spritzing begins.
    I'm flying to Japan, in coach, next week. The air in airplane cabins is always very dry, so my experience is that fragrances don't last long during a flight. I like the idea of wearing a body lotion as smelling something familiar on my arm is always comforting while flying. I need to buy one for the trip. What's the fragrance culture like in Japan? Is it ok to wear a fragrance to a restaurant? Are they discreet or blatant with their "spritzing"?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I'm flying to Japan, in coach, next week. The air in airplane cabins is always very dry, so my experience is that fragrances don't last long during a flight. I like the idea of wearing a body lotion as smelling something familiar on my arm is always comforting while flying. I need to buy one for the trip. What's the fragrance culture like in Japan? Is it ok to wear a fragrance to a restaurant? Are they discreet or blatant with their "spritzing"?
    It's quite discreet and tends more towards the aquatic. Heavy scents like Gucci PH, Hermes Belami, etc. don't go over well (the heavy, woody character will remind many Japanese of the smell of "senkou" or buddhist altar incense and they'll sometimes ask you why you'd want to smell like that). No matter what you wear, though, definitely don't overspray; subtlety and non-projection is key.

When in doubt, remember the Japanese maxim, "The nail that sticks up gets pounded back down." This could be translated into basenotes as "The spritzer who projects makes no friends."

Smile Re: Your Fragrance Of Choice When Travelling?

It's quite discreet and tends more towards the aquatic. Heavy scents like Gucci PH, Hermes Belami, etc. don't go over well (the heavy, woody character will remind many Japanese of the smell of "senkou" or buddhist altar incense and they'll sometimes ask you why you'd want to smell like that). No matter what you wear, though, definitely don't overspray; subtlety and non-projection is key.

When in doubt, remember the Japanese maxim, "The nail that sticks up gets pounded back down." This could be translated into basenotes as "The spritzer who projects makes no friends."
    Funny you would say Gucci PH, I just ordered that for me, I hope i like it. I would be a horror on a long plane trip, thank goodness I don't travel at all anymore. I love my strong scents, and probably out of fear of flying, wouldn't change what I normally would wear, so I guess the people sitting next to me would be passed out. Which wouldn't be a bad idea on a long boring flight. My son has a fascination with someday traveling to Japan. I would like to go, but I wouldn't be able to fly that long. (Unless I was heavily sedated). Nothing more than 2 hrs tops. (I told you I didn't travel anymore!)

Kouros Extreme.
    You are not your perfume.

Having flown to Hong Kong, Sydney, and Frankfurt many times, I can safely say that subtle, close to the skin fragrances are much preferred by your seatmates, and by you. I do think its really nice to get cleaned up about an hour before landing. And that includes a couple of spritzes of something light like Paul Sebastian, or SMW. All of the flight time before that moment is just survival.

Quote Originally Posted by TricsMan View Post
    Having flown to Hong Kong, Sydney, and Frankfurt many times, I can safely say that subtle, close to the skin fragrances are much preferred by your seatmates, and by you. I do think its really nice to get cleaned up about an hour before landing. And that includes a couple of spritzes of something light like Paul Sebastian, or SMW. All of the flight time before that moment is just survival.
    You're right, John. As well, it seems to me that given the stress of getting through the airport, fighting crowds, lugging bags around then being squished into a seat, no matter what I end up smelling terribly and feeling really disgusting while in flight. I don't know if there is a "smell" to stressful exertion, but I never feel as nasty as I do when flying (even a short flight... after a marathon Japan run, I feel almost sub-human). So, like you, I like to go "Freshen up" before landing, but still whenever I get to my hotel or to my apartment I HAVE to take a bath.

L'Homme de Coeur by Divine, because it come in a small travel size flacon.

Burberry For Men

I wore it once on the train on one of my winter Canada snow picture vacations and it has now become a tradition for me to do so.

A light, close to the skin, inoffensive but nice fragrance lightly applied. When people are confined in close proximity it is just good form to show respect for their sensibilities.

Fragrances which I've used are:

- Yang (1999) by Jacques Fath
    - Cool Water (1988) by Davidoff
    - Aveda Pure-Fume Tonic for Men (1999)
    - Mugler Cologne (2001) by Thierry Mugler
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Guerlain Vetiver

On saturday I flew to Cape Town for the day, but I went with D & G.

It's close to torture, to tell the truth. Even if you manage to get an entire night's sleep on the plane (which I usually do thanks to heavy barbituates)... you've still got 7 more hours! And, trust me, you can only watch the lame in-flight movies so many times. The worst trip I had was about three years ago when they had an error with the projection system and all we could watch was Jackie Chan's "The Tuxedo" in a continual loop. I no longer fear hell now, knowing it couldn't possibly be worse than that.
    It's all about the Tylenol PM. Had a flight from Houston to Auckland once. I was wearing Bvlgari au the Vert, sprayed lightly.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I prefer not to wear anything, (the Kouros Extreme was a joke.) because I would not want to smell someone else's cologne for 3+ hours on a flight, regardless of what it was. Thus, I only wear some light deodorant, and usually the Polo stick. You can't really smell it, but just in case of BO--which is definitely not cool on a flight, it covers it up rather nicely.
    You are not your perfume.

An interesting question. I started a thread awhile ago regarding travelling and frags, but it didn't touch upon this.

Much as I love to wear juice, I'd wear little or nothing on a train or plane. IMHO, if your neighbors have the unmitigated audacity to not like the fine scent you're wearing, they are really going to have a lousy time, maybe for 12 hours, and I would feel that I was being quite self-centered to be impinging upon their space.

Just think about how lousy the air quality is on a plane to begin with. It's different in public, where people can get away from you.

I know many will disagree with me, and will just HAVE to wear something. We are addicts, after all. So please, take it easy on the trigger. Maybe spray on your chest so if you want a snort, you can just move your clothes and get a nice personal waft!

Just think... as soon as you get off that plane, and hit the Big City, that's the time to break out your decant of Exotic Scent and go nuts!!!! My current travel faves are Egoiste and Tam Dao, and these are a bit strong for close plane quarters.

Have a good trip!
    Last edited by Cognoscento; 26th March 2007 at 03:51 PM.

Same here. I only wear a very light deodorant. I usually keep a couple of fragrances in my handbag and apply on reaching the destination.