Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Madini Oils - An Unusual, Delightful Departure from Western Perfumery

For a radical departure from French perfumery, featuring unusual dry, woody scents, unique spicy, fruity, florals, and some goregous amber, the Madini oils offer strongly-fragrant, reasonably-priced line of fragrances. These are all-natural, yet they are complex, skillful compositions, not simple essential oils. Edit: Later, with the help of a perfumer, I determined that these are NOT ALL NATURAL, despite the claims by the distributors. Some of them may have high percentages of natural substances. Otherwise, they do contain synthetics.

Time to challenge your nose? This review takes you from the easiest to the most unusual scents...

The beautiful, sweet, vanillic amber scents of Sahara, Olive Flowers, and Alma di Alma are closest to the European ideal of Orientals. Olive Flowers is "Mr. Madini's answer to Shalimar" with its amber-citrus-frankincense-opoponax composition, being resinous and vanillic--and utterly gorgeous. Alma di Alma forgoes the woodiness of the resin to create an amber-citrus-musk that is absolutely delicious. My favorite, Sahara, is similar with its amber-citrus-myrrh, comparatively dry/sweet and very aromatic. There is a fascinating note, perhaps the type of citrus, or an unlisted floral.

A step away from the Western tradition are the spicy-fruity-florals. Azahar is an orange blossom fragrance, but it incorporates an unusual herbal aroma to create an almost dry, soapy, clean presentation. The best part is a musty, resinous base note that elevates this fragrance beyond the typical sweetness that dominates most orange-blossom scents. This note is commonplace in Eastern fragrance/cuisine, yet it will impress us as bold and unique. Don't be mislead by the name of Henna. It is the henna flower that is featured, not the powdered leaves used for dye. This is a highly likeable, fruity (apple/mango), sweet, honeyed flower similar in some ways to Nag Champa. Salma is described as an ancient Saudi blend of spices and amber. The best part is an amazing spicy peach or melon in the base. Autumn is the sweetest of the category, described as Arabian spices but coming off as tangy, fruity, almost candylike and youthful. All were enjoyable.

Emerging into the un-sweet Madinis, we are introduced to more surpirsing fragrances that are every bit as enjoyable. Soulimane is a complex mix of sunny, dry, lemony, fresh ingredients that impress me as clean, soapy, and spicy, similar to the esteemed Etro Shaal Nur, which recalls the freshness of a man's shaving kit. The list of ingredients is long, including artemesia, coriander, citron, cinnamon, jasmine, clove, carnation, amber, and vanilla. Mokhalate Malaki is listed as an oud-chypre-rose-saffron fragrance, but it defies this description. There is a bitter, herbal, woody opening from the oud, followed by a green, fresh rush of rain, tangy rose, and watery lotus, and perhaps a pungent flower like lilac. Both of these must be tried on the skin to appreciate their truly unique beauty.

Form here we move into the most unusual, exotic scents--those which offer little or no sweetness. I cannot overemphasixe how interesting and different these fragrances are. They are in the Arabian tradition. Please do not expect sweet perfume. Open your mind and be rewarded.

Maderas de Orient is a great cedar fragrance, bittersweet, deep, well-blended, soft and woody. The notes feature Atlas cecdar, Oriental woods, and Moroccan blossoms with hardly a touch of sweetness and very rewarding on the skin. Hanane smells like nothing you have ever smelled before. The dark, reddish liquid is strong, pungent, deep, salty, mossy, complex, bittersweet, redolent of dried leaves, and very woody. It is described as a Balsamic composition with a long list of ingredients including, galbanum, tuberose, red rose, jasmine, clove, sandalwood, patchouli, amber, and musk. It smells like none of these ingredients. The development is clever, and it becomes more attractive as you wear it, ending up smelling very outdoorsy, natural, and compelling. Chypre comes out of the bottle dark green-black in color. It is sharp, tangy, clean, dry, warm, very earthy, and somewhat green. To me, it smells nothing like its description as a woody, musky, floral; rather more like green twigs and spruce needles. Again, it needs time on the skin to develop. Santal Blanc was the most unexpected fragrance in the group. Billed as sandalwood "nothing more, nothing less" it is light, dry, pungent, non-sweet, and earthy. If this is what real sandalwood smells like, I have received an education.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 2nd February 2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Correct: Not all-natural perfume.

Default Re: Madini Oils - An Unusual, Delightful Departure from Western Perfumery

What an informative and lovely post. These oils sound so beautiful, esp. the spicy ones. I will definitely have a look at the site, and thanks for the great info!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Default Re: Madini Oils - An Unusual, Delightful Departure from Western Perfumery

Fantastic post... Fingers crossed that they will post to Australia! I"m off to do a goggle search on Madini Oils. Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Great post, Beautiful Bird!!

My samples arrived today and - having the day off tomorrow - I am going to start the day with a shower and a layer of jojoba oil and dive in....if I can wait that long.

The names of the fragrances in their match-book style cards are hand-lettered!! :bounce: Don't you love it!

For those wanting to know more you can go right to http://www.madini.com.

See you tomorrow! Think we're in for a treat!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Thank you purplebird7 for that enlightening write-up. I had not even heard of Madini Oils, but they do sound wonderful.:wave:

Madini perfumes are amazingly powerful. Probably four to six times more powerful than an alcohol based perfume.

I have Azahar (beautiful, clean and simple), Ambergris (definitely not real ambergris, but an interesting amber-ish scent nonetheless - extremely potent), Almhakoutab (strongly herbal and masculine, reminds me of an old cologne I can't put my finger on), and Sahara (a beautiful, dry blend of Amber, Myrrh and Citron - my favourite by far). The last two are probably better for men, but I could see a women pulling off Sahara if it's lightly applied or layered with something else.

Post Thanks / Like

Purplebird, what a great post you wrote. Thanks!

You've made me quite interested, so I'm off to the website.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You're a national treasure, purple, poetic bird.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Post Thanks / Like

Well, of course I couldn't wait and went to bed in Mango and great hopes. (Love mango!)

First whiff is fresh and green, quickly a flowery fruit appears - but it isn't mango, it's more like a citrusy apricot! And very subtle. With that lovely "Arabian Nights" undertone that I identify as - maybe - frankincense?

This is a really pretty fragrance, not especially long lasting and not ever mango.

This morning Shadow on one arm - and Sun on the other! Love Shadow - almost a true fougere with a slight hint of smoke. The site says leather as well - on me it takes a few hours to put in an appearance. Sun has lots of herbs and lavender over woods and reminds me of de Nicolai's Provence only more anchored. I will definitely invest in this one.

These Madinis are a real find for me - they have the "solidity" and luxe of the old timey frags. Many many thanks to The Purple Bird!!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 24th March 2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Leather showed up!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arvydas View Post
    ...I could see a women pulling off Sahara if it's lightly applied or layered with something else.
    Sahara is my favorite. I own it and wear it by itself.
    My first tester came in a swap, and I didn't even know it was from Madini's men's section. It's an amber fragrance, and the Madini ambers are vanilla-like, so I think it is more feminine than masculine!
    And yes, all of these need to be applied lightly because they are strong. They are fairly priced, considering their strength.
    --------------------------------------
    All of you, thank you for your kind words.
    I am happy that my reviews are of value to you.
    What is discovery without disclosure?
    What is enjoyment without sharing?

Here's my idea:

I am sending these on to Tao Lady. Please PM her if you want the Madini Oils, and she will mail them to the next person who asks.

In the package, she will put the list of people who want the samples.
    Everyone who gets them, cross her name off and PM the next person for her address. Send it on.
    We will keep going until the samples run out.
    If you want to replenish the samples or try different ones, order some more samples and put them in the mailing envelope before you pass it on.

Just use a little of each.
    Let's see how long it can go.
    Let's see how many Madini reviews we can put into the directory.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 24th March 2007 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

These sound really interesting! Thanks for the very informative post - I may just jump in and order a few samples myself! Do you find that jojoba oil helps with longevity?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezeweasel View Post
    These sound really interesting! Thanks for the very informative post - I may just jump in and order a few samples myself! Do you find that jojoba oil helps with longevity?
    Oh do!! Jump! Jump!! :bounce:

For me - Anglo-Saxon of North European extraction with fair dry skin and approaching eighty and living at the beach - the jojoba certainly helps in releasing the frag and, I would say, with longevity. As I may have said, a suggestion from Ayala who knows a thing or two.

Another suggestion - take a look at the samples already ordered and if you're jumping all the way in choose something different and keep it going. I'm dying to try Sahara 'cause it's gotten such raves. Was thinking I'd invest in de Nicolai's Provence but think that Shadow may be the better choice!!
    --------------------------------------
    Finished the day with the remaining two of my five Madini Samples: Four Seasons and Ambar Gris.

Four Seasons is a mellifluous blend of "every lily of the valley" but much more than a white floral. Deeply sensuous it takes time to develop after opening on a honeyed note. It is sweet without being sugary and is terribly female. Not feminine - female......

Ambar Gris is said to be of naturally harvested pure ambergris (although a BN reviewer claims it is not - I wouldn't know) and is wonderfully strange. It is a viscous brown liquid and for at least an hour after application smells like the medicine echinacea. But it slowly develops into the most wonderfully smoky, incensed amber that smolders and incites. I must have this frag for the winter!

Attached is the painting by John Singer Sargent (of whom I am a most ardent admirer!) that it is said to have inspired. Enjoy it all! :bounce:
    Last edited by TaoLady; 24th March 2007 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Some of these are good, to be sure, but as for "all natural"? definitely not- they seem to contain any number of synthetic ingreds as far as I can tell

I love natural scents wich is a plus for me but as long as it 's refined and can be compared to traditional perfumery in terms of execution and quality.
    I haven 't tried this line but I tested Sage Machado last year which concept "seems" rather similar. I wasn 't thrilled at all, it felt "thick", very linear and not very subtle.
    To me the most beautiful natural perfume line is the sadly discontinued and hard to find Gobin Daude; Seve Exquise, Sous le Buis, Biche dans l 'absinthe and Nuit au Desert are pure gems that have reached cult status, contemplative scents with a certain poetic sensibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin de Grasse View Post
    To me the most beautiful natural perfume line is the sadly discontinued and hard to find Gobin Daude
    What a shame that these are discontinued.
    I'm always looking for a good, natural fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by slave2love View Post
    Some of these are good, to be sure, but as for "all natural"? definitely not- they seem to contain any number of synthetic ingreds as far as I can tell
    That is surprising. Talisman assured me that they were natural. Here is a quote from their e-mail:
    "...no synthetics-for those oils that are very expensive, or difficult to acquire (jasmine, gardenia, rose), Mr. Madini has used different essentials to mimic those notes and not synthetics."

Post Thanks / Like

Finally re-testing the four samples I got and getting my thoughts and words together.

Kamary -- they introduce it as roses and sandalwood. Not on my skin! The closest smell I can think of is a blend of Hugo (a flask in a green box) and Amarige, although more on a masculine side. Starts with lemon, herbs and greens. Develops into the note I do not find partularly attractive: tropical white and yellow florals mixed with damp woods, but still very Hugo-ey. Drydown: yellow roses and bleached woods, not your usual glorious sandal.

Mist -- upon initial application, I get a smell of a household cleaning product, and I cannot tell you which one right off the bat. But is grows on me, and probably is the favorite out of the four. Middle notes: powder of Cashmere Mist plus a heavy dose of heliothrope, a hint of insence, acacia flowers. Drydown: darker musk and delicoius amber. Reminds me of the older Jacques Faths. Interesting!

Tajalli -- it is all about neroli! Nice blend, with a dense wall of citrus blossoms, unpenetrable and proud, with a hint of smokey insence and soft woods.

Water -- transparent in the beginning with vanilla and persimmon, champaca flowers, lush gardenia. In the middle stages I get cranberry, osmanthus and plum all on the "eraser" background -- sweet rubbery and woody note, but not quite sweet to be playdough-y. Not a single aquatic note: this is the smell of the fountain water at night, in the courtyard of a shakh's palace surrounded by the majestic fruit trees.
    Last edited by Twolf; 15th April 2007 at 05:13 PM.

Here are some reviews. I will be passing my samples on to Purplebird when I am done.

I have rated the samples from the one I like the most to the one I like the least. For reference, I am a fan of No. 5 and Mitsouko. Fruit notes generally do not work on my chemistry.

Four Seasons: It smells like a chypre, a very familiar chypre but I can't identify a specific perfume name. It's floral, green, a little woody and soapy. I love this and wish it lasted longer.

Shadow: It smells like a man's cologne, very green and fresh - maybe a bit of lavender? I like this one too and wish it lasted longer on my skin.

Ambergris: It's extremely smoky; a pure amber scent with a lot of smoke. One of the best ambers I have tried except it's extremely potent and I would only wear this diluted. It doesn't last long though. If I dab it on my wrists and later wash my hands the scent is gone.

Sun: To me this smells like white musk or extremely light Egyptian musk. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy this but I think it's approachable and inoffensive. It's also a little floral.

Mango: It smells like shampoo - L'Oreal Fructis shampoo. I am not a fan of this type of scent but I know that many people will like it. It's not overly sweet, which is a good thing.

Hope my reviews were helpful!
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

These reviews are very helpful especially in the process of elimination.

Some I'm thinking of trying; Bouquet, Burberry, Incense, Spring, Nile, Moon, Reihan, Paradise, Violet
    I'm probably ordering 6ml of Alma di Alma and Maderas d'Orient

Tao Lady, Thanks for the lovely picture. Sargent rocks!
    Last edited by kumquat; 16th April 2007 at 04:22 PM. Reason: add comment

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful post! (As always )

I'm on my second bottle of Alma de Alma! I just love the stuff. I've ordered more samples (mine got passed onto to another Basenoter as well) and I've ordered White Musk, unsniffed, with fingers crossed. I've found that some of the Madini's really don't work for me, but when they do work, they're exceptional. Of the samples I've tried, I enjoyed Kamary (rose & woods), Azahar (orange blossom), Honeysuckle, Mandarine, Coco (coconut) and Reihan (green tea, floral).

Yesterday I ordered more samples (Fleur de Nuit, Olive Flowers, Framboise, Moon, Nardo, Aicha Aicha, Gardenia, Violet, Vanille) & I will try them & pass them on.

Post Thanks / Like

Been hanging out on the other Madini thread - posting reviews there too - and only just caught up with this one!!

Many thanks to Tovah and Mystery Femme and TWolf for those great reviews. I am loving so many of these perfume oils that I have a suspicion I am going to end up ordering TONS of samples rather than FBs!! :bounce:

Meanwhile - here are two of the 13 samples launched by The Purple Bird which will shortly be on their way to Clemmie!! (One through eight are on the other thread.)

Henna - came out smelling citrusish and vaguely sharp and dusty. Settled into a haunting floral - lightweight peony with an amber undertone. Rully nice!!

Autumn - although the ingredient list is short - Arabian Spices - this is not really spicy at all on me (But I don't bring out spicy notes anyway - Bellodgia is quite tame on me) - rather a honeyed amber/musk with a hint of deep rose. Round and slumberous - autumnal without being somber!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Madini two thread is my fault. I didn't realize I should have posted my review on this thread. I'm sorry I have no clue how to merge them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    The Madini two thread is my fault. I didn't realize I should have posted my review on this thread. I'm sorry I have no clue how to merge them.
    Personally, I think it's great we've got two!! There are so many frags to cover and so many different ones being tried that only one thread might be unwieldy.

Way to go girl!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Purplebird! I have ordered my 5 samples!

I got the samples yesterday (thank you Taolady) and have so far tested 4 of them.

Sahara - so far my favourite. Richly intense, but with such depth to it...I couldn't stop sniffing this.

Henna - my daughter said this reminded her of Dove soap - which she loves. This is one she said she'd happily buy, for that clean soapy smell. I agreed, I loved it.

Chipre - yuck. I love chypre perfumes generally, but this one has a nasty basenote that I can't pin down. It may be just me, or my skin chemistry, but it smells rancid, and that basenote is so tenacious. I want to scrub it off, but it won't go.

Maderas de Oriente - woody and warm. My husband said "that one smells like you" - I have no idea what this means, other than it suits me. I did like it, and will probably go back to this and try it again.

So far, 3 get the thumbs up, and 1 gets a very strong thumbs down. Only 9 to go...
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like

My samples arrived yesterday. Since at the moment I am exploring florals that is where we are here. Last night I sampled Narciso. It doesnt exactly smell like narcissus,but I think that is a "ghost flower". It does have a similar heady sweet smell to it that was too much for me. Maybe this is a smell that works better as a flower. since I love the intensity of narcissus blooms. I read on the Madini site that the bottles come designed to use only a drop so maybe I overapplied? By 3am I had to get up and shower it off, it had morphed into a vampire bat pee smell, sour and overpowering and too much for the enclosed cave of my room.

I also sampled Nassim described as ginger rose and citrus, and I liked it quite a bit, but maybe because it was sampled against the strong Narciso I am retesting it now. It is definitely a ginger citrus scent I can't pick out rose yet though.

Post Thanks / Like

I got bottles of Henna and Alma di Alma. I'm impressed with both of them; this is really good quality for little money. Both remind me of frags I have smelled before; but I can't pinpoint them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you can compare 'Henna ' to Guerlain; 'Chamade'. I thought they were almost the same. 'Alma di Alma' was very close to 'Miss Dior'. Or was it halfway to 'Dioressence' with a bit of ambergris or patchouli thrown in?

Well, the samples are now winging their way to moonlight_flower, and I've made a note of the ones that made the biggest impression on me, and what I thought of the ones that didn't. These are not going to be in-depth reviews, because I don't have the talent for that yet (!), but here's what I thought overall:

Sahara - Although the notes are citrus, myrrh and amber, I got flowers all the way through this. Really strong, stunningly beautiful fragrance, and one I'll definitely buy. probably my favourite, but that's a toss up between this one and:

Henna: - My daughter likened it to Dove soap, and I got that completely. Again, one I'd have no trouble buying, and neither would she.

Maderas d'Orient: Spicy, very pleasant, and somehow I got violets after a while. My husband particularly liked this one on me.

Chipre: This was vile on my skin. It had a basenote that was just putrid. And it was so very strong, it was difficult to get rid of.

Olive flowers: Pungent, smoky, a burnt smell about this one. Not pleasant on my skin.

Santal Blanc - Woody fragrance, it smelled stale almost instantly.

Hanane: - Started out rather like EL Beautiful, but it had an 'off' smell. I think I picked up rather too much patchouli in this, but I couldn't be certain that was what it was.

Salma: Fruity, floral, not unpleasant, with spicy amber.

Soulimane: Complex. Difficult to pick out separate notes - this one smelled rather like a disinfectant on my skin (reminiscent of Dettol!).

Autumn: Rich, spicy, very warm, absolutely gorgeous. I would definitely buy this.

Mokhalate Malaki - No. Just no.

Alma di Alma - I got oranges, but it wasn't a clean fresh smell. It smelled a little decayed to me, and I didn't like it. I know this is popular, but it didn't work for me.

Azahar - Orange blossoms. Absolutely beautiful, and one of the more subtle fragrances, considering the strength of these oils. Another one I would definitely buy.

I hope this helps a bit, I know I'm not skilled and talented at writing reviews giving all the notes or describing what the different fragrances reminded me of etc, but at least I know what I liked and what I didn't.
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryFemme View Post
    Ambergris: It's extremely smoky; a pure amber scent with a lot of smoke. One of the best ambers I have tried except it's extremely potent and I would only wear this diluted. It doesn't last long though. If I dab it on my wrists and later wash my hands the scent is gone.
    Their ambergris is not ambergris at all. It's mostly choya nakh (toasted seashells, distilled) and some softer EOs. True ambergris is a modifier, has a soft scent, and if it was in this, would be overwhelmed. In other words, there's no room for true ambergris in this perfume. I have some of the Madini Ambergris I got in '85 or so and it's still as potent as the day I got it. Haven't worn it in years, but my memory is it lasts forever on me. YMMV, of course.
    Anya McCoy - http://anyasgarden.com/
    Best of the Best awards - Perfume: MoonDance, StarFlower, Amberess, Light, Royal Lotus and as
    Project Leader: Outlaw Perfume and Mystery of Musk
    Basic Perfumery Course with lifetime access to the websitehttp://perfumeclasses.com
    America's First Natural Perfume Line 1991
    First Artisan Perfumer Voted in as member of the American Society of Perfumery 2013

Smile Re: Madini Oils - An Unusual, Delightful Departure from Western Perfumery

I received the traveling Madini oils from Clemmie this morning (Thanks!) & here's my first 2 reviews.

SAHARA:- Wow, this smells exactly like Dune by Dior on my skin! Took me 15 minutes of continually sniffing my shoulder to realise what it reminded me of, the only difference is Dune gave me migraines, Sahara doesn't...I'm so pleased!!!! Love this unusual fragrance which I never thought I was going to be able to wear...Happy Dance, Happy Dance.

AUTUMN:- This is sweet, lightly candied fruit that has been tempered with spices. More summer fruits than autumn on my skin & don't expect the spices to dominate, the spices blend in with the fruit. I'd be happy to wear this in summer & early autumn. The only other fruit based fragrance I wear is Ava Luxe's Forbidden Fruits which is a Autumn / Winter (more spicy) fruit scent on my skin.

So far, I'm very impressed & love the quality of these oils.

Yay! moonlight_flower, I'm glad they got there safely (and quicker than I expected too!). I loved Sahara and Autumn as well. Those are on my 'to buy' list.
    Bill Cosby

Here's some more reviews. I've had to dilute some of these oils by applying jojoba oil over the fragrance application point on my skin. I use a nightly body cream that contains jojoba oil, coconut oil, mango butter, shea nut butter & cocoa butter as I used to suffer from extremely dry skin. Since using this cream, fragrance seems to be released to it's full power & I wasn't getting correct assessments of these oils when sampling at full strength.

SANTAL BLANC:- Extremely dry, sharp sandalwood. Didn't like this oil, I prefer the less dry, slightly creamy Sandalwood E.O. that I own. Would love to know where they source their sandalwood (curious).

OLIVE FLOWERS:- Tried this one full strength. Too medicinal, think it was the frankicense & opoponax combo, then after 5 hours I finally smelt the slightly creamy ambery vanilla note. This oil may smell nicer diluted on my skin???

ALMA DE ALMA:- First this one was a very musty citrus, then I diluted with jojoba oil on skin. Got more citrus, the strong musty smell turned into a more musky smell - much more pleasant! Might get a sample of this one for myself so I can experiment with different strengths.

HENNA:- Extremely strong, very soapy, powdery fizz. Diluting didn't work with this oil, ended up scrubbing off. After scrubbing twice, it became a soft soapy floral scent with a hint of powder (dusty). Very strong oil but not for me.

Will report back later with the next round. Totally amazed with the concentrated strength of this brand. As others have said, excellent value for money!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Natural_Juice View Post
    Their ambergris is not ambergris at all. It's mostly choya nakh (toasted seashells, distilled) and some softer EOs. True ambergris is a modifier, has a soft scent, and if it was in this, would be overwhelmed. In other words, there's no room for true ambergris in this perfume. I have some of the Madini Ambergris I got in '85 or so and it's still as potent as the day I got it. Haven't worn it in years, but my memory is it lasts forever on me. YMMV, of course.
    Wow! Thanks for the info Anya - and welcome to our little group!! :bounce: (But YMMV?? Wha' dat??)

It's great to have the reviews continue to come in (and such diversity!) - hope you've been posting in the Directory as well.

We gotta keep this going so it will be here for Purplebird7 (who started the whole thing!!) when she gets back!!

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Wow! Thanks for the info Anya - and welcome to our little group!! :bounce: (But YMMV?? Wha' dat??)

It's great to have the reviews continue to come in (and such diversity!) - hope you've been posting in the Directory as well.

We gotta keep this going so it will be here for Purplebird7 (who started the whole thing!!) when she gets back!!

Taolady? YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary
    Bill Cosby

Didn't have much sampling success yesterday but still enjoying the sampling experience.

I also worked out what ALMA DE ALMA (diluted) reminded me of, the drydown stage of Malle's Musc Ravaguer, after all the very strong spices wear off. Not heaps of vanilla like some get in the drydown, but a gorgeous skin scent. Very full bottle worthy!

MOKALATE MALAKI:- Agarwood & my skin don't work, result stench - unable to review!

HANANE:- Dusky rose dominated spicey floral. Nice but not for me.

CHIPRE:- Extremely strong even diluted it's very strong. Pungent for a couple of hours then I got a musky floral type scent. Would love to sniff this on someone who wears chypres well!

SOULIMANE:- Reacted to the huge amount of spices in this one, immediate burning on skin, washed off. Got it off quickly & smothered my arm in cold cream, then later on applied aloe vera gel - no harm done, it's back to normal this morning. Just won't apply scent anywhere near that area today. Way too concentrated for my skin. Not much of a review...sorry.

Three more samples to go!

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight_flower View Post
    Didn't have much sampling success yesterday but still enjoying the sampling experience.

I also worked out what ALMA DE ALMA (diluted) reminded me of, the drydown stage of Malle's Musc Ravaguer, after all the very strong spices wear off. Not heaps of vanilla like some get in the drydown, but a gorgeous skin scent. Very full bottle worthy!

MOKALATE MALAKI:- Agarwood & my skin don't work, result stench - unable to review!

HANANE:- Dusky rose dominated spicey floral. Nice but not for me.

CHIPRE:- Extremely strong even diluted it's very strong. Pungent for a couple of hours then I got a musky floral type scent. Would love to sniff this on someone who wears chypres well!

SOULIMANE:- Reacted to the huge amount of spices in this one, immediate burning on skin, washed off. Got it off quickly & smothered my arm in cold cream, then later on applied aloe vera gel - no harm done, it's back to normal this morning. Just won't apply scent anywhere near that area today. Way too concentrated for my skin. Not much of a review...sorry.

Three more samples to go!
    It seems that apart from Henna (which I loved), we agree on all of these so far. I absolutely hated Mokalate Malaki. Horrible, it was. I'm interested to know what you think of the others...
    Bill Cosby

Here's the last 3 reviews, the oils are now being sent on to Squeezeweasel:

MADERAS DE ORIENTE:- A beautiful woody oriental with moroccan floral blooms. The cedar in this is the best I've smelt, no pencil shavings here that's for sure. The cedar is supported by other woody aromas & is offsetted beautifully by the exotic floral notes.

SALMA:- This fragrance is quite sweet, unusual & spicey. Citrus- mainly orange, amber, spices & a hint of musk combine to create a sweeter, slighty dirty version of Alma de Alma. It's very strong so I did dilute it with jojoba oil.

AZAHAR:- Undiluted this smells like strong bergamot & neroli combined together. Diluted it smells all neroli, just like neroli essential oil. If you want just orange blossom & nothing else in the blend to offset it, this would be perfect. I prefer orange blossom blended with other florals to sweeten & add extra depth to the scent, but I don't like a lot of sharp tang in my fragrances.

Well, that's the last of my reviews on the travelling Madini oil samples. A big thanks to Purplebird for her generosity in sending her samples on to other basenoters & to Taolady who kindly invited me to join in this experience. Hoping Purplebird will be back on the forums soon so she can read all these wonderful reviews!

Post Thanks / Like

Resurrecting this thread because last week I wandered into a little bookstore and they had wicker basket with a few Madinin oils in them. I sniffed and dabbed a few until they gave me a headache, but I chose the one that I thought was the one I liked. I wasn't sure because they were so strong I gave myself a headache.

It was Oud and I didn't put it on until tonight.

But OH MY GOODNESS THIS IS WONDERFUL!!!! :bounce:

I have no idea what "oud" is supposed to smell like, but on me it's soapy, clean, sweet, musky, ambery, spicy, natural, smooth, and slightly animal all at the same time! It's everything I've ever liked in perfumes all thrown together and it works!!!

I can't stop sniffing myself! I'm going crazy with how amazing it smells!!!

I can't wait to go back there on Monday to see if they have any left!!!

Just glanced up the thread, and realise I'd completely forgotten about this. There's bad news - unfortunately, I think the oils got lost somewhere between Purplebird and me; they never got here. I suspect there's a very good-smelling postman out there somewhere.

Grr.

Post Thanks / Like

My apologies to you, Squeezeweasel.
    I went off-line last spring/summer for three months and did not realize that I was to send the samples on to you next.
    I just revived this Madini thread to begin some new reviews, when I saw your post.

I will make it up to you. I have a shipment of new samples coming in this week.
    I will send a portion of each one to you as soon as I can.
    Please send me your address.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a recent December 2007 update to this thread:

I never heard back from Squeezeweasel, so I sent the Madinis on to Chayaruchama. (Did you get them yet?)

I also shared them with another trusted Basenotes member who stated some doubt as to their claim of being all-natural. Although they make use of lots of natural ingredients, some of them probably contain synthetics. I wish they would openly admit this or back up their claim on their label.

Therefore, it is with disappointment that I can no longer recommend them without any reservation (as I did at the beginning of this thread) in terms of health concerns, environmental and economic issues.

In terms of fragrance, yes, they are top-notch. In terms of price and longevity, absolutely, they're a bargain. The key is to try alot of samples. Some will appeal to you, some won't.
    My own favorites include:
    Musk Gazelle - A dark, delicious, sexy, "cruelty-free" musk, with notes of masala incense.
    Ambargris - A deep, all-encompasing, sensual, spicy, slightly smoky labdanum.
    Kamary - A delicate, pure, enchanting, long-lasting woody rose.
    Azahar - A bright, clean, lively orange blossom with a haunting Middle Eastern flavor.
    Ambre, Alma di Alma, Sahara, Olive Flowers - Excellent amber fragrances with dominant vanilla scent. Some are plain, some have citrus, incense, or florals.
    Hanane - Mysterious, unique floral, not too sweet, and so different from Western florals.
    Shadow - Nice, deep, basic fougere fragrance.
    Four Seasons, Tulipe and Narciso - Springlike, spicy, somewhat soapy or powdery florals with an "old-fashioned" but classic feel.
    Sun and Soulimane - Masculine combos of citrus/lavendar/herbs. One is light and natural, the other clean and soapy.
    Tajali, Salma, Henna, Autumn, Mango - Fruity floral fragrances, but different from the kind found in department stores.
    Maderas de Orient, Santal Blanc, Chipre - Woody, unusual. Can't explain.
    Anyway, that concludes my Madini testing for now. Of course, I probably won't be able to stop trying samples until I have covered the whole line... such is my perfume obsession.

Are these still going around? How do I get my name on the list?

Purplebird, you are a great sniffer, a poetic writer, and most importantly, a generous spirit.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you for that update, Purp. I think your Madini exploration is akin to my The Fragrance Shop experience. Others have chartered Nantucket Oils similarly.

I recommend our fellow sniffers investigate similar sidebars in their journey through sampling. Pick one source and get to know the company's style. As you indicated, P, some oils will absolutely sing, while others will exhibit dubious artistry. Especially valuable are the simplest blends which help me, at least, better understand individual notes and how they pair with other ones.

It should take a long time to grow bored with fragrance sampling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Can't wait till Christmas Eve - when DH will open his gift of Madini oils. I have had an unscented spouse for so long - it will be interesting to see how he likes them, and it will be fun not being the only one under the sheets who smells delicious.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like

Purplebird, I loved to read of your quest. The scents, the adventures, the glorious words--so much the olfactory saga. I must try. Excuse me, I am off to the Madini website!

Yesterday, I received an unsolicited love package from the Bird...
    She sent a variety of samples, and I wrote back before she saw it...
    Here's what I wrote:

You scented seraph, you...
    Just came.
    I never needed anything quite so much.
    Too excessive- for that, I bless you...

Jolie Madame- I love it. Started wearing it in 1972- and I still do.
    [It was a triumvirate- Mitsouko, Femme, JM]

ARP- smells SO much better than my Aedes sample. FBW, no ? [Aoud Roses Petals]
    Etro Sandalo- glorious.
    SMN Patch- nicely stinky. Me likey.
    MdM- so subtle; again, smells better than the other samples I've had...[Messe de Minuit]
    I'd passed it up for Palais Jamais- but maybe- if it's marked down.....must reconsider.

OOH- Ambargris- reminds me of Kuumba Made- but a bit different. Awesome !
    [ and I abhor that word- so hackneyed !]
    Musk Gazelle- you mean, Eau de Harvard Square, circa 1970's ? Makes me laugh with pleasure.
    Vetyvert- for me and my boys, no lie.
    Soliflores- I like 'em.
    Maderes di Orient- yum.
    Ambre- by now, you've discerned that I love the stuff, no ?
    It must be a survival strategy...where's Karl Jung when you REALLY need him?

Hanane is the name of a sweet young thing from Maroc that I gave Miel de Bois to...[ it was lovely, after crawling out from under a rock for 4 hours... no one would go near me, LOL.]

Chris, this was a major mitzvah you did.
    After spying on JUST this years' craphaul, you can probably divine what I've got, SOOOOOOOO...
    Don't be shy.

May you and yours be blessed and healthy this year, and have real holidays without the unnecessary folderol that makes us meshuggah !

[That reminds me : packages and letters tomorrow to Lievje and Dee]

Kisses, from one who's a PROFESSIONAL busser !...]

[If this sounded nuts, it WAS. I'm still on day # 10 of migraine, so I had to correct every spelling- and I never lost a spelling bee in my life.]

Post Thanks / Like

Chloefpuff and Therese, you are too kind. I am much like everyone else here on Basenotes.

I regret to say this but, by the time I sent the samples to Chayaruchama, there was hardly any left, so I doubt they will make it past her. My previous round of Madini sampling (last March) was planned better.

Fear not, I will undoubtedly start a round-robin on another line. When I do, please jump right in and send me a PM, and I will compile a list of addresses for the next caravan of samples. It is my favorite way to sample things. When a bunch of us review the same things, we are as apt to agree as to disagree on whether they are good!

So far, I've done Madini, Montale, and Ayala Moriel on my own. I've done Guerlain and L'Artisan Perfumeur because of Twolf's generousity, and Tinkerbell gave me many lovely Caron samples. (Many thanks, my friends.)

Quarry, I hope people take you up on your suggestion. A great reason to test an entire line (besides the satisfaction that we obsessive/compulsive perfumistas receive) is that perfumers re-use the same ingredients in different ways. By testing a large number of samples, we learn to identify the "Guerlain" signature or the "Caron" signature. My daughter commented, "You smell like the stuff you've been wearing lately," and correctly identified the fact that I was testing the same line of fragrance--even though the individual scents, themselves, varied greatly from florals to woods to spices to ambers.

A good way way to determine if something is Full Bottle Worthy is to contrast it with perfumes from the same house. For example: If one applies six different samples from six different houses, it's easy to get carried away and think the "best" one should have a five-star rating. However, that same fragrance may pale in comparison if contrasted with others from the same house. For example, Chamade will stand out and wave at me compared to most other fragrances. However, Chamade vs Guerlinade is more of a level playing field. Indeed, it is startling to find that a number of fragrances seem to be relatives of one another.

For those of you who haven't been posting long, we at Basenotes often host an entire week of feasting on one fragrance line. Those are always fun and informative. Stick around. The fun has just begun.

Post Thanks / Like

Ooooh, I can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well DH loved the Madini oils - all three musks - Pierre, Gazelle and White, and spent time after dinner sniffing the paper strips Tiger Flag sent and is making a list of what he wants. My goddaughters husband got involved and now he wants some as well, and then his dad, who is 78 started sniffing too. Everyone at dinner got gifts of scent. My dining room smelled luverly - oils and coffee scents along with the apple pie. A great time was had by all.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like

Dee, that sounds marvellous.
    Really, a dream come true.
    Therese and Chloefpuff, please PM me your street addresses with the heading "Round-Robin Sample Testing"
    and I will notify you when I get another batch of samples from somewhere.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 25th December 2007 at 02:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Madini Oils - An Unusual, Delightful Departure from Western Perfumery

I thought I would bump this thread. Madinis are great fun & on sale now (%20 off). I noticed how beautiful Summer is. It is a dead-ringer for Quelques Fleurs. Creamy floral -- lovely!

Oh wow! I am swooning over these descriptions! I first heard of these on Make Up Alley and then just forgot to order some. The prices are so reasonable but there are so many I just didn't know where to start. Now I do! Summer sounds divine, as does Ambre Gris, Musc Gazelle, Santal Blanc, Henna and Sahara.

Thanks for bumping Kumquat! 20% is a great discount

This all sounds so fantastic! It's been a while since anyone has posted on this thread, but have any of you tried their other fragrances? I'm especially curious about Fez and Honeysuckle.

Can't wait until I can consider myself acquainted with all of you. I am so new to this.

Rachel