Code of Conduct

Default Madini Oils - Unusual Woody, Dry Fragrances

I am covered in Madini oils and wafting in delight. There are some that I think would be of particular interest to men. These are perfumes in the Arabian tradision, including highly unusual aromas not found in Western perfumery. I will list these unusual, exotic scents--which offer little or no sweetness. I cannot overemphasize how interesting and different these fragrances are. Note: Please do not expect sweetness. Open your mind and be rewarded.

Soulimane is a complex mix of sunny, dry, lemony, fresh ingredients that impress me as clean, soapy, and spicy, similar to the esteemed Etro Shaal Nur, which recalls the freshness of a man's shaving kit. The list of ingredients is long, including artemesia, coriander, citron, cinnamon, jasmine, clove, carnation, amber, and vanilla.

Maderas de Orient is a great cedar fragrance, bittersweet, deep, well-blended, soft and woody. The notes feature Atlas cecdar, Oriental woods, and Moroccan blossoms with hardly a touch of sweetness and very rewarding on the skin.

Hanane smells like nothing you have ever smelled before. The dark, reddish liquid is strong, pungent, deep, salty, mossy, complex, bittersweet, redolent of dried leaves, and very woody. It is described as a Balsamic composition with a long list of ingredients including, galbanum, tuberose, red rose, jasmine, clove, sandalwood, patchouli, amber, and musk. It smells like none of these ingredients. The development is clever, and it becomes more attractive as you wear it, ending up smelling very outdoorsy, natural, and compelling.

Chypre comes out of the bottle dark green-black in color. It is sharp, tangy, clean, dry, warm, very earthy, and somewhat green. To me, it smells nothing like its description as a woody, musky, floral; rather more like green twigs and spruce needles. Again, it needs time on the skin to develop.

Santal Blanc was the most unexpected fragrance in the group. Billed as sandalwood "nothing more, nothing less" it is light, dry, pungent, non-sweet, and earthy. If this is what real sandalwood smells like, I have received an education.

Posted in the Women's Fragrance discussion is a comprehensive thread on Madini Oils, which includes the gorgeous sweet, vanillic amber fragrances and many unusual spicy, fruity florals as well as the above-mentioned woody scents. See the whole posting at:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=194494

Default Re: Madini Oils - Unusual Woody, Dry Fragrances

Thanks for your reviews, purplebird. Madini oils have been topics on the board on and off over time but haven't been discussed much lately. Of the ones you mentioned, I have Chypre and Maderas de Orient, both of which are excellent, but because my skin tends to sweeten many scents, neither is as dry as they apparently are for you. One that IS incredibly dry is Bouquet, which is a bouquet of woods, not flowers, and has a medicinal blast of oud. Not for the faint hearted.

Thanks for bringing up Madini again, as the company makes superior products.

Dependent

Purplebird,

Do you buy direct from Madini or are they available where you shop?

Sahara is another beautiful one (Amber, Myrrh and Citron), but very powerful. Too much of it can make my head spin a little (intense citron+amber accord).

Does anyone have experience with Madini Sahara? I think it smells very familiar to something I've smelled before. Maybe there's a cologne out there that it copied, or that copied it?

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    Purplebird,

Do you buy direct from Madini or are they available where you shop?
    I got mine from Talisman in Seattle on the Madini.com address.
    Other online vendors sell them, too, such as Tigerflag.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvydas View Post
    Does anyone have experience with Madini Sahara? I think it smells very familiar to something I've smelled before. Maybe there's a cologne out there that it copied, or that copied it?
    Sahara is my favorite.
    Are you thinking of one of the Serge Lutens scents? Maybe Ambre Sultan?
    Or is it an amber or vanilla composition from women's fragrances, like Shalimar or Samsara?

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    I got mine from Talisman in Seattle on the Madini.com address.
    Other online vendors sell them, too, such as Tigerflag.com.

Sahara is my favorite.
    Are you thinking of one of the Serge Lutens scents? Maybe Ambre Sultan?
    Or is it an amber or vanilla composition from women's fragrances, like Shalimar or Samsara?
    Not Ambre Sultan (I've tried that and I find Sahara more to my liking), and definitely not Shalimar.

Sahara kind of reminds me of an old school mens cologne, somehow. Isn't it crazy when a scent is so familiar but you can't put your finger on it?

IMO Sahara smells very similar to Dior's DUNE

Ah, I shall have to go compare.
    Yes, it drives me crazy when something smells similar to something else, and the more experience I get, the more that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by slave2love View Post
    IMO Sahara smells very similar to Dior's DUNE
    Thanks, I'll have to give that a test.

Dependent

I shopped at tigerflag yesterday. I wanted them all, I ordered some samples of Indian attars and one Madini since Madini samples only come on paper strips.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    I shopped at tigerflag yesterday. I wanted them all, I ordered some samples of Indian attars and one Madini since Madini samples only come on paper strips.
    Oh no, fredericktoo.
    The Madinis will not smell correct on paper.
    Here is how I know:
    I do blind tests of my fragrance samples.
    I mix up the vials, don't look at the labels, and apply them to different parts of my arms.
    Then I write my impressions of what they smell like--the notes and their characteristics.
    Then I look to see which were which. Then I l cross-reference to the actual notes.
    On the Madinis, I forgot to line up the vials in the proper order AFTER I applied them. Naturally, I was mad as hell at myself because I didn't know which was which--and I had run out of arm space.
    So I put a little of each on paper to match them up. NO GO.
    I mean, I could NOT tell some of them apart.
    So I waited and re-applied them to my arms. Immediately I could match them up to my descriptions.
    Talisman, at madini.com, offers 1 ml vials, 5 for $10. I would recommend that. They do incredible things on the skin.

I agree, Purplebird, Madini oils *need* skin - more than an acohol based fragrance does. Even though they smell good right out of the bottle, they take on a sometimes completely different character on the skin.

Madini oils are also much more interactive with individual body chemistry than many alcohol-base fragrances are, which makes a skin test a necessity.

Speaking of Tigerflag, they're a great company. That's where I got my Madini oils from. The shipping was super fast and they included a generous sample of rus khus (traditionally distilled vetiver) as well - it's much different than normal vetiver. Free stuff = bonus points in my book, hehe.
    Last edited by Arvydas; 27th March 2007 at 02:14 AM.

Arvydas: they smell different on different people, too. And strong. Yesterday a friend and I both put on Santal Blanc. It was soft on her, harsh on me. I tried alot of "regular" perfumes on that day, and the one that lasted the longest was (guess what?) the Santal Blanc. No development, just plain wood, but hours later, still going strong. Tam Dao, gone. Diptiques, gone. Madini, still there.

Dependent

Oh no, fredericktoo.
    The Madinis will not smell correct on paper.
    Here is how I know:
    I do blind tests of my fragrance samples.
    I mix up the vials, don't look at the labels, and apply them to different parts of my arms.
    Then I write my impressions of what they smell like--the notes and their characteristics.
    Then I look to see which were which. Then I l cross-reference to the actual notes.
    On the Madinis, I forgot to line up the vials in the proper order AFTER I applied them. Naturally, I was mad as hell at myself because I didn't know which was which--and I had run out of arm space.
    So I put a little of each on paper to match them up. NO GO.
    I mean, I could NOT tell some of them apart.
    So I waited and re-applied them to my arms. Immediately I could match them up to my descriptions.
    Talisman, at madini.com, offers 1 ml vials, 5 for $10. I would recommend that. They do incredible things on the skin.

Thankyou so much purplebird,
    I think my writing was unclear. I wanted to say that I bought one bottle of Madini oil and I bought two sample vials of the Indian Attar oil that tigerflag was selling. I saw that they only gave paper strips as samples for the Madini's so I bought the bottle. But thank you for your concern.
    Much appreciated.
    it's on it's way and I will write here my impressions.

Arvydas: they smell different on different people, too. And strong. Yesterday a friend and I both put on Santal Blanc. It was soft on her, harsh on me. I tried alot of "regular" perfumes on that day, and the one that lasted the longest was (guess what?) the Santal Blanc. No development, just plain wood, but hours later, still going strong. Tam Dao, gone. Diptiques, gone. Madini, still there.
    Yeah, they can be very harsh depending on the person. I've played around with putting them on different people, and the variance is interesting.

I'm amazed with how long they can last. It really makes me wonder what's in them, because other "perfume oils" don't have the same longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvydas View Post
    Not Ambre Sultan (I've tried that and I find Sahara more to my liking), and definitely not Shalimar.

Sahara kind of reminds me of an old school mens cologne, somehow. Isn't it crazy when a scent is so familiar but you can't put your finger on it?
    Yeah, it has a tiny shade of mens cologne. But, to me it's very womanly and feminine. Like Marlena Dietrich wearing trousers. I would recommend it for women.

Shadow is a green gem smells like Stardust and a bit like Z-14. Love it. The others remind me of bazaars with clergy in the middle east. I despise clergy.

Cheers,
    Al