Code of Conduct

Default Ebay - real or fake colognes? Recommendations?

There are some CARON colognes on Ebay that seem pretty cheap. I tend to think that they are probably watered-down versions of the real thing.

Anybody know what to look for to spot real/fake in general? Anyone have recommended sellers?

I bought D&G 'By' off Ebay and it truly was a watered down version.

Let me know - thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ebay - real or fake colognes? Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by wheedler123 View Post
    There are some CARON colognes on Ebay that seem pretty cheap. I tend to think that they are probably watered-down versions of the real thing.

Anybody know what to look for to spot real/fake in general? Anyone have recommended sellers?

I bought D&G 'By' off Ebay and it truly was a watered down version.

Let me know - thanks!
    Best suggestion: don't shop on ebay. Go to scentiments or any of the half-dozen other recommended web retailers who will guarantee authenticity, have a decent returns policy, and have prices that are just as good (or sometimes better) than ebay.

With Caron, though, unless you are talking about the fountain fragrances, the prices are generally pretty low (I got PuH for less than $15, Yatagan and 3eme man for $20-25, etc.)

If you are determined to shop ebay, I'd search the archives here for a number of discussions with hints and suggestions.

Here is a link to a current discussion on this forum that has some info on fakes and feedback:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=194249
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 24th March 2007 at 12:22 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Post Thanks / Like

The more expensive and popular fragrances are the ones most likely to be counterfeit. Things like Creeds Green Irish Tweed. Things from Caron can be had relatively inexpensively so it just does not make sense to counterfeit them. I would be more concerned about damaged goods, fragrance pulled for freshness reasons and/or exposed to excessive heat.

There are a lot of reputable fragrance sellers on Ebay but as a general rule I would agree with John, any of the reputable on-line shops is preferable to Ebay and the price you pay will not be that different.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

I guess I have to jump in on this one,...why? Because I just started selling on EBay and ALL my fragrances are 100% REAL.
    But!.... I totally agree....there are crooks on EBay. I recently experienced a "watered down" GIT Flacon from a 100% rated seller. While going through this experience I contacted Creed USA and talked to one of the Directors of US sales and he told me he could only guarantee Creed purchased from Neiman Marcus or their twin company, which I forgot the name of.
    Oddly, he said he could 'not gaurantee any e-commerce sites'...could be Marketing though.

Mostly all here will testify including myself, legitimate Scentiment transactions. In fact, I will be auctioning a Bois Du Portugal in the next day or two which I bought there close to a year ago, and I gotta tell ya'....this stuff is amazing.But my wife...my wife..thinks it's too strong: (

Back to the story:
    So I gathered a counterfitting case and sent it to the EBay seller, arranged a refund, and promised to watch his transactions and "blow the whistle" on him if appeared deceptive in his auctions. I took this course of action because I could tell from phone conversations that I was dealing with a teenager.

My advice is ...if you know (through research here!) the cologne has a reputation of counterfitting, spend the extra bucks at the BIG HOUSE...there is VALUE IN SECURITY.

I second the idea to research the forum and find out who to stay away from, you'll do yourself some good. I have learned sooo much from this forum!

Also, pay attention to splash type delivery systems, as they are easy to dilute.

Hope this helps ; }
    Last edited by Bogeyman; 24th March 2007 at 04:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post

Also, pay attention to splash type delivery systems, as they are easy to dilute.
    Very good point about the fragrances with a splash delivery system.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Thank you all for the info!

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel is the most duplicated on eBay. Caron has been very cheap for several years. Staying away from Creeds and most other high end frags on eBay may be a good idea, but some very rare ones ones like Patou Pour Homme or Balenciaga Pour Homme are just too difficult to duplicate due to their unusual bottle designs and distinct smells.