Code of Conduct

Wink What scent out there, would you have created for yourself, it's so good ...

There's some nice scents out there, we have in our collections, but what one scent that you own, "was the one" that best describes you? Something you would have designed for yourself, if you could, that when you smelled it, you said, "now this really is me".

When FENDI came out, my first sniff almost made me, weak in the knees. I couldn't believe someone made something, that was finally me. UNFORTUNATELY, they have tweaked it, and it no longer, is the same incredible juice that I so fondly remember. I still wear it, but it's lost something. Nothing has come along since, except Kenzo Jungle is my stand in sometimes.

Default Re: What scent out there, would you have created for yourself, it's so good ...

Dior Homme!

Default Re: What scent out there, would you have created for yourself, it's so good ...

neroli sauvage
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I've had a few fragrance experiences that I would describe as transcendent. The top would be:

- Santos Concentrée (1982) by Cartier

Some that are almost as good for me are:

- Givenchy Gentleman (1974) by Givenchy
    - Cumming (2004) by Alan Cumming
    - Yatagan (1976) by Caron
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Still looking for it....

D&G PH or RIVE GAUCHE

The closest Ive found so far would have been Penhaligon's LPNo.9 For Men.

It embodies many things I consider traits of my own... its bold, sharp and commanding; and yet, more than a little bit unsettling.

Post Re: What scent out there, would you have created for yourself, it's so good ...

L'Homme de Coeur by Divine

Believe it or not, Caswell Massey's Tricorn.

"Whats your signature scent ?"

Its Millesime Imperial by Creed.
    -

Macassar and M7
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Without question, Cacharel pour L'Homme, my favorite fragrance of them all. And then I would not discontinue it...
    You are not your perfume.

Cool Re: What scent out there, would you have created for yourself, it's so good ...

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    "Whats your signature scent ?"

Its Millesime Imperial by Creed.
    I'm not sure if I'm saying signature scent in a roundabout way, but there are scents that I wear all of the time, and like alot, but I don't know if I would have created those particular ones for myself or not. I only found that the original FENDI was one of the only ones, that I would have designed note for note, just for me. If you want to call it "signature", okay!

Post Re: What scent out there, would you have created for yourself, it's so good ...

I kind of agree with Dolly Dagger. I'd consider LV Uomo to be my signature scent, if I had to choose - yet my answer here was L'Homme de Coeur. Uomo is not 'me', it's just plain brilliant all-around scent .

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly Dagger View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm saying signature scent in a roundabout way, but there are scents that I wear all of the time, and like alot, but I don't know if I would have created those particular ones for myself or not. I only found that the original FENDI was one of the only ones, that I would have designed note for note, just for me. If you want to call it "signature", okay!

I always equated "signature scents" with "bespoke" fragrances - like as in here: http://www.perfumersapprentice.com/createyour.html

Maybe there are multiple definitions of the term.
    -

Had an SA at Neiman's a few months ago trying to recommend a new frag to me insist that I give her my "one" scent... and it was J.L. Scherrer's 2.

That being said, there are several fragrances that really resonate with me (still trying to get ahold of a sample of Tom Ford's Black Orchid, for example!), and I have been advised recently by more than one person (incuding an SA at Barneys New York, Boston branch) that I need to scope out the Neil Morris fragrance line. He's a local Boston perfumer, has historically done customs, but I have heard he's launching a retail line... And I've already got a call in. Will keep everone posted!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Chanel Pour Monsieur, but I am enthralled with C&S #88.

For me it is Opium pour Homme. But will always hope I can find the one to take it's place.

Ah, what a good question!

Although my favorite fragrance is Bois du Portugal, I see myself creating The Dreamer more. What a unique and elegant fragrance The Dreamer is. Especially with that floral opening and that intoxicating pipe tobacco base. mmmm.... pipe tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I always equated "signature scents" with "bespoke" fragrances - like as in here: http://www.perfumersapprentice.com/createyour.html

Maybe there are multiple definitions of the term.
    Ya know what? It doesn't really matter how you word it, you get the idea, that's all that's important, and that's the name of that tune...

Versailles pour homme
    Jean Desprez

Terre d'Hermes or Rose 31. Both have notes and accords that resemble my natural scent.
    Last edited by Sloan; 25th March 2007 at 04:03 PM.

I see what Dolly Dagger means, and very much agree : I mostly wear Daim Blond (Serge Lutens) and Vetiver Extraordinaire (Frédéric Malle) depending on my moods, yet the one fragrance I feel intimately related to is Derby (Guerlain.) I actually have a vintage bottle coming my way that I got on eBay last week and I already know I am not going to be wearing it very often, but still I figure if there is one fragrance out there I wish I had created, Derby would be it.

And I guess that is very much why I don't want to wear it very often : it is so much me that I don't want anybody and everybody to figure me out straight away ! It would be a sort of rape-through-fragrance situation (I'm not sure that makes any sense, by the way !!!)

I had that reaction with both Third Man and Jicky which interestingly I sampled for the first time on the same day!
    My current top 10: Richard James; Clive Christian No. 1 for Men; L'Artisan Voleur de Roses; Creed Aventus, Erolfa, Santal Imperial, Virgin Island Water, and Windsor; Serge Lutens Chergui and Gris Clair

"It is never to late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    neroli sauvage
    I'm getting closer and closer to your opinion...

JHL....Aramis
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Update: Aramis 900 OR Oscar for men

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Terre d'Hermes or Rose 31. Both have notes and accords that resemble my natural scent.
    Yeah, it's important to match a fragrance with your natural scent.

The first time I smelled Annick Goutal's Sables, I was floored. It's the closest I've come to being "knocked over" by how good I thought a scent was. But I don't think I've truly come across a fragrance that truly seemed "like me", or that I would have made for myself. Pure Indian sandalwood oil comes the closest... nature did a good job designing those trees.

My girlfriend tells me (and I have to agree) that I smell naturally sandalwoody (speaking of Rose 31, it's her favourite fragrance on me... even though I don't think it contains sandalwood). Fragrances with pronounced sandalwood notes seem to work the best on me, and I feel the most comfortable in them.

Feuille Verte!

My eyes roll back into my head and I get weak in the knees. Smile, and 'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!"

I wouldn't change a thing!

I think if I were to create a small line, there would be fragrances similar in nature to FV, Dunhill (34/03), 80's Lancome stuff, Penhaligon's (trio of Racquets, Endymion, and Douro), Selection Verte, and maybe some exotic leather stuff.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah