Code of Conduct

Default Chypres for summer

I have only been totaly addicted to perfumes for a little more than a year. My collection is very different today than it was a year ago, of course... In my collection today, I find quite many chypres, so this is a type of perfume I am really fond of. My "problem" is that there is not a very big difference between quite many of them, so I want to take some of them out of my collection. But I am not sure about wich of them who are takeing heat well, and wich don´t take heat. All of mine takes chill well, as I have owned them during winter. I will of course keep them all over next summer and try them, everyone. But I do really want to ask you well-experienced BN:s if you can recommend some chypres who also can be considerd summer-fragances. If you take the time and look in my wardrobe to see what chypres I own, I am most grateful, but I also am very grateful for getting suggestions of chypres for summer that I don´t own.
    Last edited by Margareta; 24th March 2007 at 03:43 PM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Default Re: Chypres for summer

Nice collection. You might want to sample Chypre Fruit by Montale. If you do please let me know what you think. It's unisex and to me I think it's one of those that can be worn by both men and women. Good luck...

Most people believe that Paloma Picasso is far too much of a heavy hitter for summer.
    However, if you wear just the powder, you will find that it's a very nice, low key, womanly chypre for any weather.

Or you can try Diorella and Cristalle, can't go wrong there. But surprisingly, considering its potency, I love Femme de Rochas EDP on a hot, rainy day.

One I'm looking forward to trying is the new Chance eau Fraiche. An old classic chypre that I like very much is Y (YSL), which in edt would be nice for summer. Probably have to purchase it online, though. In complete agreement with Cristalle and Diorella, too.

If you can wear Mitsouko it is lovely in summer.
    Halston Classic is woody and stands up well to heat.
    DONNA

Mitsouko, would also recommend Y and Femme.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Blog Entries

Hi Margareta

I am a fellow chypre devotee / lover like yourself and have quite a few summer favourites. Before I list then I must add that sometimes the formulation / strength can make a huge difference on whether a scent is wearable in different weather.

For example, I adore and prefer the Paloma Picasso EDP in autumn / winter, but enjoy the fresher, crisper more floral (less animalic) Mon Parfum EDT in summer heat.

Clinique Aromatics Elixir is a well loved autumn beauty but the body wash and lotion are staples for me in summer.

So, at the risk of encouraging you to buy more, I would recommend you try some of your favourites in a lighter formulation or in body products for use in warmer weather.

Back to the list.

From your wardrobe I would recommend:
    Chanel No.19 EDT
    Clarins Eau Dynamisante
    Guerlain L'Heure Bleue EDT - evenings only
    Guerlain Mitsouko EDT
    Laura Biagiotti Roma
    YSL Rive Gauche

Other personal summer chypres are:
    Carven Ma Griffe
    Carven Intrigue
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Dior Diorella
    Halston by Halston
    Paloma Picasso Mon Parfum EDT
    Revlon Charlie (vintage / Blue)
    Revlon Intimate
    La Perla by La Perla
    Guy Larouche Fidji
    Balmain Vent Vert
    O de Lancome
    Guerlain Chant d'Aromes
    Givenchy III
    JC Coriandre
    Ungaro Diva
    Jean Patou EN Joy
    Chanel Cristalle EDT
    Nina Ricci Deci Dela
    Montana Parfum D'Elle
    YSL Y
    YSL Champagne / Yvresse
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

It can be a bit hard to find, but if you can get hold of a bottle of Diorling, I think you'd love it. It's a very beautiful floral chypre, and it's glorious in summer - to my mind it's the best fragrance Christian Dior ever produced.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    ... Femme.
    I layered some Femme and Poupee midday and went outside to move concrete blocks (I remember this kind of labor being more fun in my youth ) and the Rochas scents held up nice under my first dripping sweat of the season.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Tiffany for Men by Jacques Polge. I am surprised more women don't wear this one.

It's such a perfect textbook chypre in every sense that it really defies gender categorization.

Also, it's an exquisite fragrance in and of itself and wears very well in summertime.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 24th March 2007 at 07:09 PM.

Smile Re: Chypres for summer

the hottest chypres for summer:

Sous le Vent by Guerlain (exclusive Guerlain)

Seve Exquise by Gobin Daude (hard to find)

31, rue Cambon "Les Exclusifs de Chanel"

Un Bois Sepia by Serge Lutens

classic chypres for summer:

N°19 de Chanel

Diorella

Cristalle

Eaux de Caron Fraîche
    (1997)

Top notes: Lemon, Mandarin, Bergamot, Grapefruit
    Middle notes: Basil, Jasmine
    Basnote: Oakmoss

Eau de Rochas (1970)
    Top notes: Verbena, Lime, Mandarin, Bergamot
    Middle notes: Wild Rose, Jasmine, Coriander, Carnation
    Basenotes: Oakmoss, Amber, Musk

Even though it is not, strictly speaking, a chypre - I would recommend Eau de Merveilles (Which I just noticed that I trashed in a review last year!! And that I now own!!) :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Mitsouko edt is nice when lightly applied on a warm summer evening!

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Even though it is not, strictly speaking, a chypre - I would recommend Eau de Merveilles (Which I just noticed that I trashed in a review last year!! And that I now own!!) :bounce:
    LOL! I think that is called coming full circle! I seem to find myself there a lot.

Thank you so much for all your answers! I have written them all up in my little pefume-note-book, and I will try everone of them that is possible for me to find! - Yes, most probably this thread will result in me getting some more bottles, as you have given me a lot of really great idéas here... But perhaps, in the end, it will lead to me owning less bottles, too!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.