Code of Conduct

Red face Need expert help and opinions please!!!!!

Woo Hoo!!!!!!! At last a place to share a passion of old.

Just joined today so I have plenty of questions and need all your expert help.

I have always chosen perfume in the same way .....spray it... smell it... like it...buy it..and then never given a second thought about why I liked it. But now I am looking for a new perfume and want to know more.

I have already looked at nearly all of the perfumes I know and love and have been for a few days in various places and I have been amazed to discover how other websites and basenotes have correctly suggested what other fragrances I would like if I like this particular one. Wow how clever. Also how everything I like has basenotes of patchouli........even cleverer! (Loved it since I was 13 and bought a tiny bottle of Hippy oil with my wages from my weekend job at the Wimpy bar).

Now I've already sussed that I really am a complete virgin as to what aromas hit you through the different notes of a fragrance but I am keen to learn. At the moment it seems a bit like the way wine tasters describe wines.... but to me wine just tastes like wine, although once I did detect a hint of smoked bacon in a bottle of South Australlian Merlot , but like I say it was only the once.

What I want to ask is can I have suggestions for something which is really heavy on patcholli. I also like coconut (and vanilla but not too much). I probably like other things as well but if I do I can't define them in a perfume.

So here is a list of what I like in no particular order of favorites.......

1 Presence d'une femme by Mont Blanc - A new discovery and I adore it.
    2 Casmir by Chopard (which my daughter always says smells of Washing up liquid).
    3 Kingdom
    4 Ghost Deep Night
    5 Eurphoria - Want -don't have
    6 Patrick cox - High - Discontinued..Sob
    7 Venetzia by Laura Biagiotti - Discontinued...even more sobs
    8 Jungle L'elephant - Want - don't have
    9 Angel - Want - don't have
    10 Jean Paul Gaultier Classique

All ideas welcome but feel like treading the less used path as I am getting older so I wouldn't mind obscure suggestions too.

Default Re: Need expert help and opinions please!!!!!

I don't have any idea how easy (or difficult) it will be to find where you are, but you might try Chinatown by Bond No.9. It is quite an original smell, and on me at least, the patchouli is very pronounced in the drydown.

Blog Entries

Not all patchoulis are created the same and just to prove my point I recommend that you try to obtain samples of the following scents / perfumes:

TBS (The Body Shop) Patchouli perfume oil
    TBS Woody Sandalwood perfume oil
    LUSH Karma EDT
    Chanel Allure Sensuelle
    Chanel Coco Mademoiselle
    Badgley Mischka by Badgley Mischka
    Estee Lauder Cinnabar
    Dana Tabu EDT
    Michael Kors Michael For Men - great if you truly love patchouli
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Prada / Prada Tendre by Prada
    Vikto & Rolf Flowerbomb / Flowerbomb Extreme
    Sonia Rykiel by Sonia Rykiel
    Chopard Wish
    Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon EDP
    Dior Dioressence
    Guerlain AA Pamplelune
    L'Artisan Patchouli Patch
    Montale Patchouli Leaves
    Nemat Patchouli

Good Luck & Happy Sniffing!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Smile Re: Need expert help and opinions please!!!!!

Hi

Thanks to Gail s and Moondeva for taking the time to reply. I am now busy researching your suggestions and seeing what, if any of them are on offer on ebay.

As a complete newbie can I ask what are decants and how does it work exactly......and Moondeva do you really mix your fragrances as your crazy combos suggests.

Out of curiosity what is your favorite fragrance at the moment.

Cheers
    daisycom

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daisycom View Post
    Thanks to Gail s and Moondeva for taking the time to reply. I am now busy researching your suggestions and seeing what, if any of them are on offer on ebay.
    You are most welcome!

As a complete newbie can I ask what are decants and how does it work exactly......
    decants = 5 -15ml samples of perfumes 'decanted' like wine from the original full size manufacturers bottle. Decants are made by pouring into a funnel, spritzed or by using a pipette to transfer the jus from the larger bottle to the smaller decant bottle. Decant bottles can be roll on or spray, and sometimes are splash.

......and Moondeva do you really mix your fragrances as your crazy combos suggests.
    Yes, daisy.com, yes I do. And I have found quite a few delicious combos that continue to work for me...

Out of curiosity what is your favorite fragrance at the moment.

Cheers
    daisycom
    I find this a very hard question to answer as I have many favourite perfumes and tend to wear 2 or 3 different perfumes or combos everyday. This makes it pretty hard to even wear a perfume more than once in a while. Just check my wardrobe to see how many I have to choose from.

I am rather chuffed with my latest blind buy which is a narcissus perfume.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Talking Re: Need expert help and opinions please!!!!!

Hi Moondeva

I've just read the first couple of pages of your great layering challange and am up for a spot of that myself!!

Feel really excited actually..even rebellious.

Funny it had never crossed my mind to try a mixture but thinking about it its no more than perfume houses do when developing fragrances anyway though maybe not in such a pure form.

I realise I am going to have to increase my collection dramatically to do this and my bf is just going to have to understand........GOD ...IT'S LIKE A DRUG AND THIS SITE JUST FEEDS THE ADDICTION.

I am now currently jumping between here and ebay looking for mixed lots of samples.

Feel frenzied.

Hi moondeva and daisy!

monndeva, as I was reading your combos as well, i had to smile. i've been doing the layering thing myself for a while... although no where near as professionally as you. I have to agree..layer and combo away. There are the occasional days where one feels like being a purist, but that's it. Mixing is fun!!!!

you're right, TBS Neroli Jasmine and TBS Satsuma are wonderful together. I also do philosophy Amazing Grace and Vera Wang Princess together....even though I'm 26, I;m in the upper age range for that fragrance and while I love it, on me it needs a little bit of cutting on the cotton candy, frou frou aspect. Believe it or not, BBW Midnight Pomegranite and Boudoir do well on me, for me it yanks the "powder" aspect out of Boudoir that seems to develop on me. Demeter Honeysuckle and Burberry London plaid are great, but only if you're a big honeysuckle lover (on the other wrist, BBW's new Honeysuckle...BLECH!)

What I also do a lot is use all vanilla bath products with perfumes with a lot of vanilla in them, which is a good portion of the collection. I've also been trying TBS Sequin Sparkle and Cosy Cashmere under just about everything.

Most everything passes the hubby test. His thing, since he's in Iraq, is that he can't wait to smell me. He told me last night "Honey, it's been a long time since I've smelled beautiful" (which I think he lifted from The Chronicles of Riddick. Romantic none the less.

I'm so happy I found this forum. :-) Cheers!
    --------------------------------------
    If I may moondeva, i need to pick your brains.

I just acquired Roger & Gallet's Lavande Royale. Lots of lavendar, but a bit powdery, not sharpish, but lots of woods, with a little spice, that wend all the way through and comprise most of the drydown. Not complex enough on me and I'd like to whack the woods a little. Any suggestions on layering? I am into gourmands, and florals, not real big on musk or patchouli and hate freesia with a passion.

Any help is so appreciated. I'm stumped and I've sniffed and smelled my nose into oblivion today
    Last edited by bellarosa; 27th March 2007 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thumbs up Re: Need expert help and opinions please!!!!!

Just to say thank you to all who have given me suggestions. I have made a note of them and I am busy trying to acquire samples off ebay. Just need more money. A lottery win would come in very handy.

Cheers :-)

Smile Re: Need expert help and opinions please!!!!!

Intrigant Patchouli by Parfumerie Generale, a journey in the East of the Thousand and One Night!

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...4504&section=1

http://www.theperfumeshoppe.com/scri...?idproduct=534

Intrigant Patchouli takes you by the hand, puts a bejeweled scarf around your shoulders and leads you east to the land of A Thousand and One Nights…this is a many-hued patchouli that’s definitely not what you’re used to. Blazing ginger, spicy cinnamon and a musky patchouli open this perfume...it’s incredibly exotic, we could almost swear there was nag champa in it. Before we could make up our minds, a soft amber, benzoin and honeyed vanilla drifted into the mix on a bed of soft, satin-like powder. Very elegant and dark without being dangerous, this one reminds us of a perfect classic French perfume…its complexities unfold slowly, tantalizing at first with its fiery, earthy delights, then softly soothing with its seductive embrace.

Intrigant Patchouli notes
    patchouli, Mysore sandalwood, benzoin, citrus/hesperides, cinnamon, amber, musk, vanilla, honey