Code of Conduct

Default Hermes Eau des Merveilles

I am loving this but it fades on me incredibly fast. Any suggestions of things that I can layer it with that may keep it a little longer?

I know that traditionally you should buy the shower gel, oil etc but as I like to chop and change my scents all the time this works out a tad expensive! Is there anything cheaper (body shop?) that i can buy that would work well?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hermes Eau des Merveilles

Like you I love EdM and have had the same problem with it and other lighter scents. So - at the suggestion of Ayala on this thread (her frags are "light" - and lovely!) - I slather on jojoba oil which almost triples the longevity (for me) And I carry a decant to refresh.

If you have trouble finding the pure jojoba oil, PM me and I can give you a good online source!! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Oh thanks! I will look into the Jojoba in the Uk. Do you put on to wet or dry skin? (the oil I mean!)

Must get decanting too. If you carry a couple around, what's the best way to label them?

Smile Re: Hermes Eau des Merveilles

Personally, I think the scent is too light for the money, and smells basically like the beach, (which I can get for free, since I don't live far from it) Any, scentless body lotion would do. An oil would be yucky, IMO.

The scent has a light orange smell, so if you wanted to kick it up, I'm sure you could find something at B&BW, their good at selling fruity lotions & creams.

For me, Elixir des Merveilles is a stronger, more intense version, so I start the day with the Elixir and then carry the Eau for refreshing the scent later on. Yes, I love this scent so much that I have both. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quos View Post
    Oh thanks! I will look into the Jojoba in the Uk. Do you put on to wet or dry skin? (the oil I mean!)

Must get decanting too. If you carry a couple around, what's the best way to label them?
    I put the Jojoba on moist skin, toweled down after showering. I started applying only where I intended to dab or spritz, but it is such a good emollient I started using it all over as a body moisturizer.:bounce: It's lightweight and has no odor.

To identify decants, use those small self adhering labels!

Have never experienced the Elixir - but after MHarvey's suggestion, may have to look into it! Thanks.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Smile Re: Hermes Eau des Merveilles

I don't know why, but I really tried to get into either or both of the Merveilles, but I just don't see what the fuss is about? I know everyone has different tastes, and that's fine with me, but I just don't get the love for these two, except that their pleasant. Not powerful enough for me, the Elixir, initially smelled like orange soda. and then drydown was the beach. Was disappointed, because I liked the bottles. For a pefume house like Hermes, didn't think that these two lived up to the reputation. Oh well, to each their own, once again...

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny, I can still smell this one on me the next morning. No big sillage, but that is how I prefer things anyway, and my skin still is still lightly scented when I go to bed if I wear it all day. So no suggestions for prolonging the wear, I'm sorry!

I like Eau des Merveilles for a simple, upbeat, fresh scent when it gets too warm or muggy, or when I just don't feel like a complex and amazing fragrance. It fills a role in my scent wardrobe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mharvey816 View Post
    For me, Elixir des Merveilles is a stronger, more intense version, so I start the day with the Elixir and then carry the Eau for refreshing the scent later on. Yes, I love this scent so much that I have both. LOL
    me TOO! AND the parfum (decant only, thank you). this is as close to an HG for me as i can get for now.
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

Talking Re: Hermes Eau des Merveilles

Think I need to get me the Elixir then.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I liked this a little when I first tried it, but when I actually found a great deal on a bottle of it, and tried it again, wow! It's an unusual, peppery, wood-resin scent on me, with that salty beach smell underneath. I love it because I am usually far far from my beloved beach, and it reminds me of a nicer climate than the one I live in....
    Anyway, I find it is quite long-lasting, though very close-to-the-skin. You can try spraying your clothes with it, too. The Elixir is great but too strong for me. You should get a sample, though, it's very lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by kasae View Post
    It's funny, I can still smell this one on me the next morning. No big sillage, but that is how I prefer things anyway, and my skin still is still lightly scented when I go to bed if I wear it all day. So no suggestions for prolonging the wear, I'm sorry!

I like Eau des Merveilles for a simple, upbeat, fresh scent when it gets too warm or muggy, or when I just don't feel like a complex and amazing fragrance. It fills a role in my scent wardrobe.
    I agree, that it is a simple fresh scent, absolutely. I always want something like that in my wardrobe, when I'm not feeling well, (which is most of the time lately) but when I wear something like that, I just don't feel "it's enough", maybe because I'm used to the potent scents, that I've worn all my life. Like I said a few times already, I guess because I live in Florida, it reminds me too much of the beach, and I'm definitely played out with the beach. Lived here for 27 years, and haven't been there in about 10 years. Lost that loving feeling, I guess.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

quos, be warned - the Elixir des Merveilles (one of my favorites) has a kind of 'gourmad'-y opening that I have said before reminds me of chocolate covered candied orange peel. Not too sweet...almost semi-sweet. It then in about an hour transitions into the Eau des Merveilles you know and love. Just so you know.

As someone also mentioned, if you can get the parfum, you might enjoy that as well - but a few here on BN have agreed that Hermes kicked up the patchouli on it and it strongly differs from Eau des Merveilles, almost not resembling it at all (unlike the Elixir, which does).

One more thing - when I wear EdM, I almost always stop smelling in on my own skin, while others still smell it on me (and give me compliments on it). Have you asked others to check and see if they can smell the EdM on you, when you can't?

I am wearing it now so I'll give that a go!