Code of Conduct
    smeller

Default Paco Rabanne pour homme

I was pretty satisfied with my wardrobe, getting inexpected compliments, thought I didn't need anything else.

But I had this little sample of Paco Rabanne pour homme, which never was able to persuade me, and some days ago, I gave it a more serious try. The result is I'm in love with this stuff.

I've considered Azzaro PH as my favourite fougére, but now the power and simplicity of Paco Rabanne seems to surpass even the Azzaro.

What do you think about it? I've seen someone at Basenotes refer to it as "eurotrash" - which I think it's quite offensive - and I worry about the reactions I can get when wearing this now unusual scent (considering the contemporary trends).

And, last but not least: do some one gets compliments from women wearing this? My girlfriend enjoys my XS's and Envy's, but I'm not sure she's ready to my Paco Rabanne...

Peace

Default Re: Paco Rabanne pour homme

Many years ago you could smell Paco everywhere. It was very popular, probably because a lot of people liked the scent. Maybe now it's viewed as "yesterday's news" in the world of fragrance. It's still a nice scent though in my opinion.

I love it as an uncomplicated 'soapy' scent. Works best sprayed in moderation.

I consider Paco Rabanne a very sexy soapy scent which i do wear when im in the house alone..

I have yet to pluck the courage up to wear this on a night out!!

It's really nice, but on me it's way too sharp for some reason. It cuts the nose. On my father it smells like it's supposed to, classy and manly, sweet but clean.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

I just received a couple sample vials from Scentmonkey. It's a nice scent but not all that powerful on a card. I wonder if I should get a small bottle for a more convincing trial.

It's great stuff, but I agree that one should be light on the trigger. Works better on cooler days. As far as your girlfriend liking it, who knows? Would you only wear it if she liked it? Only you know the answer to that question.

smeller

Now I see that this scent is somewhat familiar, seems like I must have smelled it when I was a child.

In fact I do not worry so much about my girlfriend, I just woould like to know if women in general appreciate it, because I want to create a good image to myself. I do not want to smell too outdated to others, even if I like it. If I realize it's really outdated, perhaps I will make it a house scent, as someone said.

I sort of understand your reservations, Smeller, but I've got to chime in and praise the scent. I think it's one of the safest you can wear out into the world--soapy is right, and it will always do one credit to smell so clean and good.

I don't have a bottle but I've been thinking of getting one too. I used to think it was boring, and when I wore samples of it I was tired of it by midday and wished I had chosen something interesting. But every time I smell it from the bottle and spray onto the wrist I really go for it. It keeps me smelling the spot for a long time.

So I can't make up my mind entirely either. I think it's certainly retro-cool to wear it, if not for the direct good quality of the scent. I don't think the "Euro-trash" comment, claim, or observation is justified at all. It's a great scent from when Paco Rabanne was cool. I love Rabanne's Ténéré too, and expecially.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

My opinion: if you don't tell anyone it's an old scent, they will not know any better 95% of the time. Especially with Paco Rabanne.

It smells good to you, so wear it. Honestly, I don't even find it that far off of todays trends. The opening might be unexpected, but as it dries it becomes (on me) rather ordinarily green and soapy. You should be safe; people will like it...or at least not mind it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    In fact I do not worry so much about my girlfriend, I just woould like to know if women in general appreciate it
    Oh now I see...

smeller

DustB and Live Jazz, now I'm convinced to get a bottle (just a little one this time). Your arguments are strong.

D4, don't get me wrong... my workplace has much more women than men, so that's why female's opinion are so important to me. Hmm... ok, I have to admit, it's not just that.

Great choice, Smeller. I have to agree with everything Live Jazz said too. Live Jazz, by the way, is a man of impecable fragrance taste. I find he and I agree on many scents and in many threads.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I love it too, simple soapy scent but there is something macho about it. Not too sharp or too sweet but gets a bit powdery on me.

The Fragrance Foundation has put it into their Hall Of Fame in 1998. A rare honour which Kouros has been denied so far !
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Although I like it, in the late seventies and early eighties you couldn't go anywhere without smelling it....

It's like the ''I will survive'' track; It's good, but I've just heard it to often...
    Current Favourites: Touaregh -Il Profumo/ Le Vainqueur- Rue Rance/ Versus Uomo -Versace/ Sculpture -Nikos/ Acier Aluminium - Creed/ Santal Noble - MPG

Do you think it smells classy, or "cheap" ?

Definitely classy, maybe old to some people but not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    What do you think about it?
    I love it.

Bought this last Fall, i was only 17 and i loved it !. This fall i'm going to try azzaro !

Paco Rabanne PH is one of the most simple yet stylish "classic" type of fragrances

I don't find it difficult to wear at all, unlike some of the posts here. Even wear it to the office, though have to be a little lighter on the trigger. Sharp mix at the start but to me it doesn't take that long to settle. Classy, distinguished, rather serious, familiar but not too old old. I'd rather wear distinguished gentleman old rather than smells-like-granny's-linen-closet-old any day.

This was my father´s favorite cologne and remember as a kid stealing some of it to impress the girls back in the day, lol. He recently passed away but you have brought me to memory lane! Such is the power of a fragrance. RIP my "tata"
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

The difference between the current formulation and the original is significant and well worth the extra expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartlebooth View Post
    The difference between the current formulation and the original is significant and well worth the extra expense.
    The Metal Prestige Edition is verrrrrrrrrry close to the Original. I just bought a bottle.
    Last edited by neal; 14th August 2011 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    The Metal Prestige Edition is verrrrrrrrrry close to the Origina. I just bought a bottle.
    Thanks for the tip, I will check it out

This is pretty much the only place you'll find it. It is where I got my bottle. It is amazing!
    http://www.amazon.com/Paco-Rabanne-T...352595&sr=8-13

I snagged a new old stock spray bottle from the 80's a few weeks ago on eBay. The older formulation has a good dose of oakmoss in it. One wearing and I was reaquainted with an old friend. Vintage PRPH has terrific longevity.

Martin

Everything that needs to be said about PRpH below:

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    The Fragrance Foundation has put it into their Hall Of Fame in 1998. A rare honour which Kouros has been denied so far !
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I love it.