Code of Conduct

Default M7 Fresh - Summer fragrances that work best in the winter

M7 Fresh is supposed to be a summer version of M7, but does anyone else find M7 fresh too sweet and sticky for summer? Summer here is quite humid, and M7 Fresh ends up smelling like sugar. In summer the main comments I are "it's kind of sweet, don't you think?" I actually prefer regular M7 in the summer.

Meanwhile in late winter/early spring when there's still snow everywhere, but the temperatures are more moderate I find it's the perfect scent, light and crisp, and gets plenty of notice and compliments.

Any other summer fragrances that people like best when it isn't summer?

I just noticed this because of the "What will be Your Number One Come Summer" thread http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=193994
    People are listing M7 Fresh, but spring and summer is when I put that one away, except for cool nights.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 25th March 2007 at 07:43 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Default Re: M7 Fresh - Summer fragrances that work best in the winter

I agree. I think it's the drydown in M7 Fresh that makes it more of a cool weather scent for me. Just seems so dark even with the sticky fruity topnotes.
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

Smile Re: M7 Fresh - Summer fragrances that work best in the winter

I know some people won't agree with me, but that's fine, but I live in Florida. The weather is everchanging, true, it is cooler in the winter than summers here, but I still wear basically what I always wear. I don't change my fragrances by the temperature. I never did a Winter/Spring/Summer fragrance thing, even when I lived in N.Y. Sorry, that I'm no help.

I would think the summery fragrance, for most guys, that would work in the winter? Something citrusy, but has some spice, like Eau de Cartier, or Declaration. Maybe some CK fragrances that are unisex.
    Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 25th March 2007 at 08:10 PM.

If M7 Fresh is too sweet for summer, then any aquatic fragrance is, too. I don't get anything sweet out of it, just a burst of grapefruit-like citrus that fades into a subdued M7 base. Out of my wardrobe, it is the least sweet scent together with Benetton Sport, and definitely only works in warm weather.

That's funny - to me it smells like Fruit Loops and barely has any resemblence to M7 at all. Maybe we have different batches or something?
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

The fruit loops comparison is most apt for M7 Fresh, but there is a hint of M7 in the drydown, except it's erm... fresher.

I've been wearing it during our cold snap, and there's one girl at work who's been going absolutely bonkers over it. Mind you, she did last summer as well :-/ I think perhaps because you're not so sweaty and hot, the notes take longer to develop and thus it appears to be a bit longer lasting and as fresh, if not more, than during warm weather?

I have both M7 and M7 Fresh and to me, the only difference is the fruity top notes in M7 Fresh. They are so similar that I don't think I need bottles of both. In fact, I rarely wear M7 Fresh. The fruitiness makes it seem more trendy...more accessible to the general public (meaning teen guys). I think that regular M7 is breathtaking and sure to be a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    That's funny - to me it smells like Fruit Loops and barely has any resemblence to M7 at all. Maybe we have different batches or something?
    Yeah, to me it smells like grapefruit effervescent powder - I think it's called sherbet? That stuff that gets all foamy. Well it smells like this and has at the same time the typical M7 smell. Nothing sweet nonetheless. Don't know about the batches, but old fragrances are said to lose the top notes first, but M7 Fresh was only introduced in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    I have both M7 and M7 Fresh and to me, the only difference is the fruity top notes in M7 Fresh. They are so similar that I don't think I need bottles of both. In fact, I rarely wear M7 Fresh. The fruitiness makes it seem more trendy...more accessible to the general public (meaning teen guys). I think that regular M7 is breathtaking and sure to be a classic.
    Yes, I also think they are rather similar, and I will probably replace my M7 Fresh bottle with a regular one as soon as it is finished. Although you are also right about the accessibleness (does this word exist?), the regular M7 has more of that leathery sharpness, which I need to test more to find out if I really want to go from M7 Fresh to M7.

To my nose I would never consider M7 Fresh a fruity sweetness. It's more candy sweet to me. I get zero fruity out of this one.

Talking Re: M7 Fresh - Summer fragrances that work best in the winter

for me, Terré d´Hermés works the best in the winter (and summer) :-)

I`ve tried both & i think i prefer the original M7 in summer rather than the M7 Fresh.The Fresh is too sweet at the start.Drydown similar to original.Might be fine on cool evenings.

I have tried M7 fresh in the spring but not the orignal M7. Fresh can be sweet and cloying and I prefer the M7 orginal over M7 Fresh wheter it be spring summer or winter.

How Longlasting are M7 Fresh and Original M7 ?
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    How Longlasting are M7 Fresh and Original M7 ?
    I find M7 Fresh to be very short lived ... as opposed to the original M7, which lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    I find M7 Fresh to be very short lived ... as opposed to the original M7, which lasts forever.
    My thoughts exactly I can get 6-8 hours out of M7 but like 3-4 out of M7 fresh

WOW - I think some folks have switched their bottles of Original and Fresh. Fresh is sweet and cloying while Original works well in the heat of summer?!? A lot of things in fragrance are subjective, but I don't see how anyone can come to this conclusion. The bottles don't have their names on them, so you seriously might have them confused:

Original is in the dark bottle and is a sweet, candy, fruit loop bomb.

Fresh is in the clear bottle and is the lighter and easier to wear of the 2. The one with grapefruit (a fruit with almost no sweetness!!) in the top notes.

I'd go check and see if you have matched the right name to the right bottle.

As mentioned by others and to my nose as well, the basenotes of M7 and M7 Fresh are pretty much identical and the longevity not all that different. That is why I feel that M7Fresh can be abit overwhelming on hot summer days. IMO M7 Fresh, with its grapefruit and citrus notes, is just perfect on a rainy (summer) day.

Quote Originally Posted by FatTony View Post
    WOW - I think some folks have switched their bottles of Original and Fresh. Fresh is sweet and cloying while Original works well in the heat of summer?!? A lot of things in fragrance are subjective, but I don't see how anyone can come to this conclusion. The bottles don't have their names on them, so you seriously might have them confused:

Original is in the dark bottle and is a sweet, candy, fruit loop bomb.

Fresh is in the clear bottle and is the lighter and easier to wear of the 2. The one with grapefruit (a fruit with almost no sweetness!!) in the top notes.

I'd go check and see if you have matched the right name to the right bottle.

Yes, scent is very subjective. I've never owned the Original M7, but the Fresh version has the very sweet, candy-like topnotes. Grapefruit is not at all what comes through to my nose. When I think of grapefruit scents, I think of Aqua Di Roma, Metal Jeans, and Blue Label. Fresh has no resemblances to any of these scents.

So in short, M7 Fresh=Candy, not Fruity. With a dark dry-down.

anyone have M7 fresh for cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by c-men View Post
    As mentioned by others and to my nose as well, the basenotes of M7 and M7 Fresh are pretty much identical and the longevity not all that different.
    That's so strange - to me they're completely different scents. Regular M7 is loud with that agarwood/oud imitation as the main note, and M7 fresh barely even has that. They have something in common if I pay close attention, and they're both tart, but that's it.

And yes, I know the difference between M7 and M7 fresh!

I don't smell any grapefruit at all in M7 fresh, it just smells like froot loops.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 24th May 2007 at 04:04 AM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

That's so strange - to me they're completely different scents. Regular M7 is loud with that agarwood/oud imitation as the main note, and M7 fresh barely even has that. They have something in common if I pay close attention, and they're both tart, but that's it.

And yes, I know the difference between M7 and M7 fresh!

I don't smell any grapefruit at all in M7 fresh, it just smells like froot loops.
    Well, I guess olfactory impressions are quite subjective, but I had people approach me when I am wearing M7 Fresh just to ask if I am wearing M7. I think the drydown of both have alot in common and my experience is that both generate plenty of compliments.

That's so strange - to me they're completely different scents. Regular M7 is loud with that agarwood/oud imitation as the main note, and M7 fresh barely even has that.
    agarwood/oud imitation ? I am curious, how can you tell?
    Last edited by narcus; 24th May 2007 at 01:22 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

WHERE IS EVERYONE GETTING THEIR M7 FRESH FROM??!!! I've searched far and wide...

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Cool Re: M7 Fresh - Summer fragrances that work best in the winter

Good thread, Gaius. ( Even if it's turning into an M7 debate.)

Back to your original question: I believe the answer has to do as much with humidity as with heat.

Himalaya is, I think, good for both summer and winter. But if it's humid? Save it for the colder months.

Ditto Montana Parfum d'Homme (original) and Creed's Selection Verte.

On the other hand, Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet has a strong arid feel that makes it work either in a swamp or upon a snow capped mountain.

I wonder if the ' warm ' scents are really best for winter. e.g; Patou PH, Versailles PH, or SMN's Peau d'Espagne?

What do you gentlemen think?

Cheers,

Mario.
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 24th May 2007 at 06:45 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.