Code of Conduct

Thread: Antaeus Etc...

Default Antaeus Etc...

Yesterday I woke up with money burning a hole in my pocket and I went to a mall. There's a discount store that has Creeds and a bunch of really obscure stuff that most stores don't have.

I bought a bottle of Eau de Cartier (it smells very much like a gin and tonic/gin martini) and I wanted to get one other thing.

The store guy sprayed some Creed Original Santal on my arm and it was incredible! Granted it did smell very similar to Joop!, but whereas Joop! is kind of loud and cloying, the OS was really perfect. I would have bought a bottle of OS but he only had the 2.5 oz bottle, and I wanted to get the big bottle since I have the big bottle of Original Vetiver, and they'd look good together on the shelf.

As i was sniffing the OS, a few thug-types walked in and asked about Aqua di Gio. I looked up at the shelf behind the counter and saw a single bottle of Chanel Antaeus!!!

I had been trying to get a bottle of Antaeus for years. The first time I sampled it was when Allure came out and the store had all the Chanels and the SA made me smell all of them-- I though Antaeus was disgustingly bad--but I couldn't get it out of my head. Then over time I decided I liked it and wanted to get a bottle. By that time it was impossible to find in stores.

So I was really excited. I asked the price and he told me $80... damn, pretty high but WTF. I had to get it. Even though it's not something I can see myself wearing very often, it is a work of art.

But has the formula changed? Also the bottle looks different from some pics. On my bottle, the cap is squared and continues the lines from the bottle--weird because I think this makes it look like a giant lipstick tube!?! Whereas I've seen other pictures where the cap is small and round and basic. I prefer the look of the other bottle, I think.

And the smell is not as strong as I recall-- though in the old days anything that wasn't aquatic and fresh struck my nose as being too strong. It just seems that this scent is watered down a bit, which is both a good thing and a bad thing for me. Good, because this formulation is very wearable on me without being overpowering-- I don't think I could pull off the Antaeus I remember, but it's bad because I don't quite get that intense "hit" from sniffing it for "huffing" purposes.

And I'm wondering this, since we're on the subject of Antaeus-- Does anyone else find a similarity between Antaeus and Bandit? And do any of you DIY perfumers think Antaeus might also contain Iso Butyl Quinoline? I'm thinking it may.

I wish I would have been fortunate enough to have gotten Antaeus in winter instead of Spring, so I may have to wait for a good time to wear it.

Welcome to the 'drobe, Antaeus. We've been expecting you...

Default Re: Antaeus Etc...

Congrats. I love Antaeus. You can still find it easily at Bloomingdales.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I looked up at the shelf behind the counter and saw a single bottle of Chanel Antaeus!!!

I had been trying to get a bottle of Antaeus for years.
    But has the formula changed? .
    Yes, Antaeus, along with all the other, once brilliant, Chanel masculine fragrances, has been been dumbed down by the bottom line driven Wertheimer dynasty. A shame.

Talking Re: Antaeus Etc...

I just purchased a bottle of Antaeus from FragranceX two weeks ago. Sure, it may be the current 'lesser' version but it smells great and my wife loves it on me.

I think I paid about $40 - $45 (too lazy to go check)

Enjoy.
    Serendeep

Love Antaeus, and I have my bottle coming from a fellow Basenoter.

One question, it's pronounced "On-tay-us", right?
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/52/A0325266.html

This dictionary link includes a little sound thingie you can click to hear proper pronunciation.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Does anyone else find a similarity between Antaeus and Bandit?
    Damn good question. I'm going to play with both and get an answer for me.

It happens that I've always thought Bandit was a bit of Bel Ami with some flower stems in it (especially Bandit edp). Not to far to move between Bel Ami and Antaeus, time wise, so maybe the comparison will work really well.

Good idea, Indie.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I don't know if Antaeus has been toned down over time, but my relatively
    new bottle (maybe 2 years old, or so) is still plenty loud. I like it.

I don't think Chanel has been dumbing down their masculine frags, but
    some of you have more years of smelling than I. I still regard it as the
    best designer fragrance house, period.

I hadn't thought of Antaeus and Bandit as cousins, but maybe you're right.
    I have them both and will spray some to compare.

Nice to see you posting again, Indie.

Cool Re: Antaeus Etc...

Indie:
    AZ is right, I bought my Antaeus at Bloomingdale's as well. That was last year in April--when I tried it for the 2nd time.

The first time I was on 'frag overload.'
    I don't know about the rest of you, but 2 different juices on each arm + at least 15 min drydown is all I can handle to arrive at an intelligent buying decision--or at least one that doesn't leave me wondering I was smoking stuff I couldn't spell when I made the purchase.

Anyway, it was in the exact container that you describe.

It's one of my all time favorites---THE most sophisticated romantic evening frag in the arsenal.

If it has been 'dumbed down' and there was a better original---LET ME KNOW WHERE TO GET IT!

Congratulations indeed!

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Yeah, my bottle looks like the one pictured in the Basenotes directory:
    an enormous lipstick capsule. This has been the style for a long while, I
    think.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Damn good question. I'm going to play with both and get an answer for me.

It happens that I've always thought Bandit was a bit of Bel Ami with some flower stems in it (especially Bandit edp). Not to far to move between Bel Ami and Antaeus, time wise, so maybe the comparison will work really well.

Good idea, Indie.
    --Chris
    I think I was right about Antaeus containing Iso Butyl Quinoline, which is a HUGE component of Bandit. (BTW, last week I had guests who wanted to sniff my aromachemicals-- a girl sniffed the Iso Butyl Quinoline and said, "Hey this smells like marijuana" -- so that's even more evidence of the whole Bandit/pot phenom. But actually Iso Butyl Quinoline is used often times to give the smell of leather to a composition, and since Antaeus is a leathery fragrance, it seems to make sense.

Aside from the technical side though, Antaeus is truly one of the finer things in life. I love that when you smell it you picture deep red, matte gray, and gloss black. Glad to see there are others who love it too!

this article from January in Business Week describes the new CEO's plan to make the brand more exclusive.

with a paragraph like this I wouldn't be surprised if Antaeus is soon never available at the discounters.

" The plan isn't without risk. Chanel could anger big accounts Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue. Nor do some shops want to sell Chanel: "Chanel is so last year," says Debi Greenberg, owner of swank independent Louis Boston."

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...brand+profiles

On the bottle issue - the EDT has a flush cap as you describe, whereas the after shave has the smaller cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante View Post
    On the bottle issue - the EDT has a flush cap as you describe, whereas the after shave has the smaller cap.
    Yes, thats the one I own (with the smaller cap) which is the aftershave splash. I've never owned the EDT.

I'm coming up for a renewal buy on this & unsure which one to get. Using the splash I get a lovely aura around me for a fair while, but I don't find it particularly strong & seem to get through quite alot of the stuff. I'd always presumed the EDT was stronger & was going to get that, but am wondering now as many people seem to be mentioning that the modern Antaeus is a bit watered down.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Yes, thats the one I own (with the smaller cap) which is the aftershave splash. I've never owned the EDT.

I'm coming up for a renewal buy on this & unsure which one to get. Using the splash I get a lovely aura around me for a fair while, but I don't find it particularly strong & seem to get through quite alot of the stuff. I'd always presumed the EDT was stronger & was going to get that, but am wondering now as many people seem to be mentioning that the modern Antaeus is a bit watered down.
    Ahh... so the aftershave has the smaller cap.

As far as Antaeus being watered down-- Right after I bought it, I stopped by my parents' house and showed my Antaeus to my mom and dad. My mom sprayed some on her arm and said, "Oh, that's really nice. And it smells really light."

"Light" is not how I'd typically describe Antaeus. Although last night before bed I sprayed some on my chest for the hell of it and I can still smell it loud and clear. Maybe Antaeus doesn't project all that much, but still has great longevity. That would be fine with me because I don't like fragrances that project more than two feet or so.

Another thing about scents like Antaeus being super masculine is this-- sometimes people find the scents that are super masculine to be super feminine. For instance, yesterday after thinking about Antaeus, I went to my perfumers' organ and made my first Chypre. It turned out really good, and it was really masculine. I took a sample to work and let some of the girls smell it. They really liked it and commented on how manly it was. Some of the older ladies really swooned over it. Well, I took the sample and ambushed this guy, Glenn, who is a waiter--and I dabbed some on his hand. "Oh No. What's this? I smell like a b*tch now." He was going on and on about how feminine his hand smelled. It was a weird reaction, because this guy is one of the most hairy chested, masculine types I know.

It's the same with Antaeus. I think it's about as masculine as they come, but some people probably find it girly because they associate fragrances that are complex with being feminine.

Btw, the "poor man's Antaeus" is, IMHO, easily found in 273 for Men by Fred Hayman.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 27th March 2007 at 04:43 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Chanel becoming more exclusive? More exclusive than "Vendors who do not reach a potential of $100,000 in Chanel sales annually will not continue to advertise our products." That's a lot in just perfume, but think about it... sunglasses vendors? Purse stores? No way are they doing $100,000 a year in just Chanel!
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.