Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Ma Griffe: Longevity?

I have only read about this, and never smelled it, though I hope to soon. I have read on some website or other, however, that the longevity is not so good, something like one to four hours. I'm hoping this isn't true for most people.

Can you ladies enlighten me about this? What are your experiences with it? How long is it likely to last on you? Also, I would love to hear your overall impression of it. From the descriptions I've read of the notes, it sounds like a killer chypre!

Thanks in advance for your kindness in responding.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Default Re: Ma Griffe: Longevity?

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I have only read about this, and never smelled it, though I hope to soon. I have read on some website or other, however, that the longevity is not so good, something like one to four hours. I'm hoping this isn't true for most people.

Can you ladies enlighten me about this? What are your experiences with it? How long is it likely to last on you? Also, I would love to hear your overall impression of it. From the descriptions I've read of the notes, it sounds like a killer chypre!

Thanks in advance for your kindness in responding.
    Ma Griffe is one of the great greens (not just my opinion) created by the same wonderful guy (Jean Carles) who gave us Tabu.

I haven't worn it in years - it was a great favorite of mine in the 60s. I wore the parfum and the longevity was in terms of days, not hours. I can still smell it as though it was this morning - very green with ylang ylang notes and some aldehydes (to which my chemistry responds very well) fresh and invigorating and unforgettable.

Can't speak to today's versions - would suggest you try some decants of various versions before making a decision.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Ma Griffe is one of the great greens (not just my opinion) created by the same wonderful guy (Jean Carles) who gave us Tabu.

I haven't worn it in years - it was a great favorite of mine in the 60s. I wore the parfum and the longevity was in terms of days, not hours. I can still smell it as though it was this morning - very green with ylang ylang notes and some aldehydes (to which my chemistry responds very well) fresh and invigorating and unforgettable.

Can't speak to today's versions - would suggest you try some decants of various versions before making a decision.

Thank you very much for your help. I've arranged to have a smell at a local perfume shop this afternoon.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

I wore Ma Griffe through most of the 70's and I've retried it recently. Even the edt lasts better than most on me, but it does start off with a rather searing aldehyde blast and a lot of sillage. I rather like the effect, but it does mean you might want to go easy on it. I like it best in the parfum. In all versions it is very green and doesn't have the furry effect I find in most chypres.

Hope you post a reaction! Would love to know how The Lady has held up!! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I did try it... in the Parfum de Toilette form. The people at the shop say it's an EdP strength. Is that right? I'd never heard of Parfum de Toilette before.

I see what you're saying about the initial blast. On my skin, it calmed down rather quickly. It's really very beautiful, fresh and green, as you both said, and with an initial dominance of white florals. Afterwards, I think the clary sage and oakmoss sort of take over. The best way I can describe it is as a 'soft chypre'.

Personally, I think I'd have to apply it about half an hour before going out, or it would seem rather too feminine, but after the initial impression begins to fade, I would find it perfectly acceptable.

Thanks for your help. I really do emjoy it, and look forward to wearing it this spring. It seems like a perfect springtime scent.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Thanks for the update Jaime! I may have another affair with Ma Griffe - am looking for a "go to" chypre for Spring/Summer.

We be smelling go-o-o-o-o-o-d on both coasts! :bounce: