Code of Conduct

Default Narciso Rodriguez bottle confusion

Hello everyone, I'm new here, so please be gentle with me. I'm an absolute NUT for perfume, and I recently bought a bottle of Narciso Rodriguez for Her (the pink bottle). It took me a while to settle into it, because the orange blossom notes bothered me, but they soon dry down, and then the perfume has a spiciness to it that I love.

I've been reading a bit on the web about this fragrance, and it appears there's another Narciso Rodriguez perfume in a black bottle called Musc for Her. From the descriptions, it sounds like it contains all the same ingredients, but with more musk. When I tested it in the shop, I definitely tested the black bottle version, and loved it. Then I was disappointed when I got home with the pink bottle and thought I'd accidentally bought the wrong one.

So here's the question (after all that waffle): Are they two different fragrances, or it is the same fragrance in two different coloured bottles, or is one of them just more oil based and concentrated than the other? Because they smelled essentially the same to me, except for the orange blossom sharpness of the pink bottle version. Also the pink bottle version doesn't last very long.

I'm hoping one of you wonderful experts can clarify this for me, because I have a feeling I'm going to have to go and get the black bottle pretty soon...

Thanks,
    Clemmie

Default Re: Narciso Rodriguez bottle confusion

The scent in the pink bottle is the eau de parfum whereas the black bottle is the E.D.T. I like the E.D.T. much better. I have heard many people say the E.D.P. is muc more floral than the EDT and i agree with them.
    Awesomeguy

Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3 View Post
    The scent in the pink bottle is the eau de parfum whereas the black bottle is the E.D.T. I like the E.D.T. much better. I have heard many people say the E.D.P. is muc more floral than the EDT and i agree with them.
    How strange that the E.D.T should be stronger and longer lasting than the E.D.P! Well, you live and learn! I think it's more floral too...and I'm thinking that my memory of the one I tested in the shop was much heavier, longer-lasting, and muskier. I may have to go and try it out again.

Thanks for the reply, it at least confirms that I'm not crazy! My nose is sensitive, but I'm no connoisseure. I think I need educating, which is partly why I'm here.

Clemmie

Well, I've just learned something new here myself. I had the pink sample and didn't like the big sweet floral note in it at all, so decided to give the frag a pass. I will definitely try the black now, as it may be more suited to my tastes.

Thanks rosbergs3 for making that distinction for us! :wave:
    Last edited by spicegirl; 27th March 2007 at 03:50 PM.
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

From my conversation with an SA about this fragrance a couple of months ago, more people prefer and will purchase the EDT over the EDP. Personally I like and prefer the EDP version.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    From my conversation with an SA about this fragrance a couple of months ago, more people prefer and will purchase the EDT over the EDP. Personally I like and prefer the EDP version.
    Right, that's it. I have to go back and try the other one now. I like the EDP, and it's really grown on me, but it's not what I remember from what I tested. So I've got to try the EDT (and WHY do they smell different? I've never known that before...usually it's just a difference in strength and longevity, not an actual difference in how the stuff actually smells).

Well, ya live and learn eh?

I'm loving that there's actually a community of people who are as freaky about perfumes as I am. I thought I was a one-off (yes, I know, how very arrogant of me!).

I want to be a perfumier, but it's all too hard. Degree in chemistry, go to France, study in Versailles for years...I just want some clever bonce to teach me how to make fabulous fragrances. I think I've been far too influenced by reading that spectacular book, Perfume.

Sorry. Tangent. I do that kind of thing. Lovely to 'meet' you all by the way.

Clemmie

Clemmie, I used to work with NR fragrance in Australia.

Just to clarify:

NR has been released in 4 bottles: (black, pale pink, white and star-speckled) and in 3 concentrations. (EDP, EDT and Parfum Oil).

The black "Musc for Her" bottle you refer to is in fact the Parfum Musc OIL. It is NOT the same scent as the fragrance - it is in fact a 'celebration' of the precious egyptian musk base of the original scent. Nothing else.
    It costs approximately 3 times the retail price of the 100ml EDP, due to its high oil concentration.

I purchased this Musc Oil for my wife as she adores the scent.
    BE WARNED however if you intend to buy... apparently few people actually have musk receptors in their nose that are fully able to detect certain musk scents, and as it turns out - we had a damn hard time smelling anything! We felt she may as well be wearing baby oil! For the price I shelled out, I contacted the local distributor and managed to obtain a full refund.

Clearly "try before you buy" is next to impossible, as there are no Parfum Oil testers offered to sample in stores. If you do wish to invest just do some homework first, and get some more feedback on this product from fellow basenoters!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Clemmie, I used to work with NR fragrance in Australia.

Just to clarify:

NR has been released in 4 bottles: (black, pale pink, white and star-speckled) and in 3 concentrations. (EDP, EDT and Parfum Oil).

The black "Musc for Her" bottle you refer to is in fact the Parfum Musc OIL. It is NOT the same scent as the fragrance - it is in fact a 'celebration' of the precious egyptian musk base of the original scent. Nothing else.
    It costs approximately 3 times the retail price of the 100ml EDP, due to its high oil concentration.

I purchased this Musc Oil for my wife as she adores the scent.
    BE WARNED however if you intend to buy... apparently few people actually have musk receptors in their nose that are fully able to detect certain musk scents, and as it turns out - we had a damn hard time smelling anything! We felt she may as well be wearing baby oil! For the price I shelled out, I contacted the local distributor and managed to obtain a full refund.

Clearly "try before you buy" is next to impossible, as there are no Parfum Oil testers offered to sample in stores. If you do wish to invest just do some homework first, and get some more feedback on this product from fellow basenoters!

Good luck!
    Well, thanks again! I was just scouting round online and came across it listed as a MUSC OIL. In the UK, it's priced at £99 and I think I paid £60 for my pink bottle of EDP. I love musk based fragrances, so I'm still tempted to go and check it out next time I'm able (they don't sell it where I live, I have to drive about 40 miles to the nearest decent department store that sells the high-end perfumes like Serge Lutens and Creed etc).

So I'm not going mad, the two fragrances are distinctly different, and it would appear I was able to try the black one in the shop (the assistant sprayed it on me), and ended up buying the pink bottle. I thought it smelled lighter, and the orange notes in it drove me mad at first - though I am used to them now. I presume the oil lasts considerably longer as well. I find the EDP wears off very quickly. It has brought many comments though, and as time has gone one, it has become one of my favourites.

The descriptions I've read online vary so much, I was getting so confused over the black/pink bottles, because I thought it was a packaging thing, but was sure what I had sampled and later bought had distinct differences (though not that much...just the lighter orangey aspect).

So to some extent, I'm still a bit confused, and I'm going to have to smell the MUSC OIL again to sort myself out. Perfumes are a bit like songs you can't remember the title of, aren't they? They get into your brain and cause an itch!

Thanks so much for the info.

Clemmie

Hi again,

Forgive my blunder - but I forgot to point out something in my last post that will help you in your search...

As pointed out by other basenoters above,...
    The EDT is in the black bottle (atomizer)
    The EDP is in the pale pink bottle (also with additional rose notes - atomizer)
    The Roll-on Parfum is a small glass rectangle with roll ball in the end.

The Musc oil is in a black bottle too, but is a DAB.

Therefore, if you remember spraying from a black bottle then its the EDT spray you sampled. And indeed it is very different to the EDP spray.

The musc oil is not demonstrated with a tester as it is a dab-on, and the contents will contaminate rapidly if used in a department store setting.

For some great illustrations of the bottles and sizes, visit: www.narcisorodriguez.com and click on 'For Her'.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Hi again,

Forgive my blunder - but I forgot to point out something in my last post that will help you in your search...

As pointed out by other basenoters above,...
    The EDT is in the black bottle (atomizer)
    The EDP is in the pale pink bottle (also with additional rose notes - atomizer)
    The Roll-on Parfum is a small glass rectangle with roll ball in the end.

The Musc oil is in a black bottle too, but is a DAB.

Therefore, if you remember spraying from a black bottle then its the EDT spray you sampled. And indeed it is very different to the EDP spray.

The musc oil is not demonstrated with a tester as it is a dab-on, and the contents will contaminate rapidly if used in a department store setting.

For some great illustrations of the bottles and sizes, visit: www.narcisorodriguez.com and click on 'For Her'.

Hope this helps
    :-) Thanks again! I wonder if NR realise how much confusion they're causing with their packaging! That settles it. I had the EDT sprayed on me, and then was sold the EDP. It's just as well that I've really grown to love this fragrance, or all the confusion would make me give up on it! :-)

Clemmie

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    :-) Thanks again! I wonder if NR realise how much confusion they're causing with their packaging! That settles it. I had the EDT sprayed on me, and then was sold the EDP. It's just as well that I've really grown to love this fragrance, or all the confusion would make me give up on it! :-)

Clemmie
    Well Clemmie,
    Let me tell you, the same thing happened to me with Guerlain's L'Instant. I tested the EDP, but I mistakenly purchased the EDT. I got home opened the package and realized that I purchased the wrong one. Since it was opened and it was my mistake, in taking the wrong package off the shelf, I've learned to "love" this fragrance too.

For some scents, the difference between the EDP and EDT is just concentration, the scent is the same. For others, the notes could have slight variations and there are noticeable differences between the EDP and EDT. Confusing... YES. But I think that it is a marketing ploy for us to make both purchases, especially if we love the scent in all it's variations
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Clemmie, there's a couple of auctions running on eBay for samples of the oil, one of them right in the UK. You may want to check out those if you wish to test the Musc for Her oil.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

I really don't have anything to add,but just wanted to say that I love the edt.Not too fond of the edp.I find it a littlebit less interesting.More floral.The edt is a lot woodier on me

They have different ingredients. I didn't read all of this thread, but I have not heard one person that preferred the EDP or perfume in the pink bottle. Usually, I always go for the EDP, but in this case it was the black bottle all the way and my husband agreed. The EDT smells more musky and the EDP smells more like a floral. The pink one is supposed to be what is called one of the new pink chypres. Why? Goodness knows. Lovely is also supposed to be a pink chypre. And again, why? I don't know. I do like Lovely though. I wouldn't throw out the EDP, I just prefer the EDT with N.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Clemmie, there's a couple of auctions running on eBay for samples of the oil, one of them right in the UK. You may want to check out those if you wish to test the Musc for Her oil.
    Just bought them. Excellent! Thanks, I'm starting to really love it here! :-)

Clemmie
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    I really don't have anything to add,but just wanted to say that I love the edt.Not too fond of the edp.I find it a littlebit less interesting.More floral.The edt is a lot woodier on me
    It's the woodiness that I remember about it. And it had spice, and musk, and all kinds of warmth to it. Those are the fragrances I tend to be drawn to. It's odd, but I buy florals and chypres, and yet the fragrances I find myself always going back to are the ones that are a bit 'different' due to the wood notes.

Now that I've ordered a couple of samples of the oil (which I know is distinctly different now), I'll be able to comment on how different that one is too.

Clemmie
    Last edited by Clemmie; 27th March 2007 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

TDDanae, the additional note in the EDP is rose.
    I found it odd they chose ROSE to add to a scent which had no obvious hint of it in the 'original' EDT release. Not totally unpleasant, but I agree - the EDT is 200% my preference for the Mrs.

I am another one who loves the EDT and the Musk for Her (the bottle of that one doesn't have the thin clear edge the black bottle of the EDT has and is theefore completely opaque).
    I see the concentrations and packaging have been broken down nicely, so I won't elaborate.

If you want a sample of the musk oil, PM me with an addy:-)

I thought they added a peach note to the EdP for some reason, but I could be wrong.

While I generally go for EdP, I, too, much preferred the EdT. I have not tried the Musc For Her. For Her EdP has a roughness to it that reminded me of Lovely, although of the two For Her EdP is softer to my nose. For Her EdT was noticeably different, both nicer and easier to wear for me.

Quote Originally Posted by helg View Post
    I am another one who loves the EDT and the Musk for Her (the bottle of that one doesn't have the thin clear edge the black bottle of the EDT has and is theefore completely opaque).
    I see the concentrations and packaging have been broken down nicely, so I won't elaborate.

If you want a sample of the musk oil, PM me with an addy:-)
    Thank you so much for the offer (this site is wonderful, the people are so kind!), but I've ordered some from Ebay now...a couple of 1.5ml bottles...and I should have it soon. I'm excited to try it out now!

Clemmie

Another declared EdT-version lover here... enjoy your new finding...! ;-)
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/

Oh my goodness.
    I hate it when they use the same name for different perfumes.
    The EDT and EDP are two different perfumes.
    One has orange blossom and honey flower, the other has rose and peach.
    And the Musk is also a different perfume. It has only the musk.
    These are three different scents, or if you prefer to say it, three totally different variations on a single scent.

My teenage daughter loves the EDP.
    This fragrance has a peach and rose topnote. The reason they call it a "pink chypre" or "new chypre" is because it incorporates vetiver and/or patchouli to create a dry, chypre rose note.

I think it is unfair to compare them.
    The EDT is too quiet for some people.
    The EDP is too loud for some people.
    I have never smelled the musk.

Unhappy Re: Narciso Rodriguez bottle confusion

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Oh my goodness.
    I hate it when they use the same name for different perfumes.
    The EDT and EDP are two different perfumes.
    One has orange blossom and honey flower, the other has rose and peach.
    And the Musk is also a different perfume. It has only the musk.
    These are three different scents, or if you prefer to say it, three totally different variations on a single scent.

My teenage daughter loves the EDP.
    This fragrance has a peach and rose topnote. The reason they call it a "pink chypre" or "new chypre" is because it incorporates vetiver and/or patchouli to create a dry, chypre rose note.

I think it is unfair to compare them.
    The EDT is too quiet for some people.
    The EDP is too loud for some people.
    I have never smelled the musk.
    Purplebird is correct!

Here are the ingredients listed for Narciso Rodriguez EDP (pink bottle):

Pink Chypre, Pink Floral, Voluptuous Woods, Soft Amber, Sheer Chypre, Flower Honey, Tactile Woods, Amber Light.

Here are the ingredients listed for the EDT (black bottle):

Honey Flower, Solar Musk, Orange Blossom, Osmanthus, Amberlyn, Vanilla, Tactile Musk, Tactile Woods, Vetiver.

Interestingly enough, the product labeled "Musc for her" (also black) appears to have the same ingredients as the EDT:

Honey Flower, Solar Musk, Orange Blossom, Osmanthus, Amberlyn, Vanilla, Tactile Musk, Tactile Woods, Vetiver.

Does this help clear things up a bit?
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Purplebird is correct!

Here are the ingredients listed for Narciso Rodriguez EDP (pink bottle):

Pink Chypre, Pink Floral, Voluptuous Woods, Soft Amber, Sheer Chypre, Flower Honey, Tactile Woods, Amber Light.

Here are the ingredients listed for the EDT (black bottle):

Interestingly enough, the product labeled "Musc for her" (also black) appears to have the same ingredients as the EDT:

Does this help clear things up a bit?

It does. Thank you. I'm hoping my sample of the Musc for Her will arrive today, so I can try it out. What's weird is, the one I have doesn't have orange blossom listed, and yet that's what I get as a top note. Thankfully, it goes away, because I'm not that keen on it. So I wonder if I'll like the EDT if the orange blossom is a strong note. And I'm not keen on vanilla either. Hmm...

Verdict to follow! :-)

Clemmie
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Wink Re: Narciso Rodriguez bottle confusion

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    It does. Thank you. I'm hoping my sample of the Musc for Her will arrive today, so I can try it out. What's weird is, the one I have doesn't have orange blossom listed, and yet that's what I get as a top note. Thankfully, it goes away, because I'm not that keen on it. So I wonder if I'll like the EDT if the orange blossom is a strong note. And I'm not keen on vanilla either. Hmm...

Verdict to follow! :-)

Clemmie
    Orange Blossom could still be in there hiding somewhere. The ingredients list is vague in some spots... Pink Chypre, Pink Floral, Floral Honey... These aren't too specific as to what's actually in them. I would guess that the floral honey has some orange blossom floral honey in it. But that's just a guess. That must be what's bothering me in Narciso Rodriguez-- I didn't figure it out until just now-- must be the orange blossoms! I love orange blossom, personally, but 8 days out of 10, it gives me a frontal headache!

Glad to help.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Talking Re: Narciso Rodriguez bottle confusion

Agree with what the others said, thed pink bottle is a bit more floral and edp, the black bottle is the first one and I have finished at least four of them and adore the edt/black bottle. It is very lasting, very easy to wear, lots of compliments, you can get a tester at Scentiments.great price, not affiliated. That is a fragrance you can wear anyplace, enjoy>

I too am extremely upset that I went into Saks 5th Ave. in Tulsa, OK, wanting to purchase my favorite 'pink bottle' perfume and the saleswoman who had initially told me that they 'did not carry that line', sold me the pink 'box', but when I got it home it was the black bottle ETD in ta pink box. This was a $122 dollar purchase and the black bottle does not even smell similar to the pink. Saks was very unhelpful in addressing this issue and with ALL the NR boxes being the same color I am sure that this has happened numerous time to other perfume/EDT purchasers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cjccam View Post
    I too am extremely upset that I went into Saks 5th Ave. in Tulsa, OK, wanting to purchase my favorite 'pink bottle' perfume and the saleswoman who had initially told me that they 'did not carry that line', sold me the pink 'box', but when I got it home it was the black bottle ETD in ta pink box. This was a $122 dollar purchase and the black bottle does not even smell similar to the pink. Saks was very unhelpful in addressing this issue and with ALL the NR boxes being the same color I am sure that this has happened numerous time to other perfume/EDT purchasers.
    You can return it. Do so immediately. Make sure the box says "EDP".