Code of Conduct

Question what to wear to a debutante ball

Hi all.I would like some opinions on what to wear to my daughters debutante ball.Its coming up in june..... winter in australia and is at night.I would prefer to use something from my wardrobe but if need be could get something else. My thoughts were Allure, PE or Code.What do u think...Thanks
    ~~Penniless but smell Fantastic~~

Default Re: what to wear to a debutante ball

Ralph Lauren Romance, perhaps?

You do want something with a bit of gravitas to it, given the occasion. But as you are 17? 18? 19? I wouldn't go with an older powerhouse fragrance like Shalimar or the ilk......before I sound hoary and old on you I'm 26 and still don't have it to carry some of those off. Allure is also a good choice. I would stay away from things like Curve or Ralph Hot/Cool, etc, essentially the "fresh" fragrances so heavily marketed to our age group. Above all, wear what makes you feel like the princess you will be that night. have a wonderful time, and cherish your memories.

I agree with your choices. I would narrow it down to Platnum Egoiste and Allure. Those are my two top picks for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Justaroma View Post
    Hi all. I would like some opinions on what to wear to my daughters debutante ball. Its coming up in june..... winter in australia and is at night.I would prefer to use something from my wardrobe but if need be could get something else. My thoughts were Allure, PE or Code.What do u think...Thanks
    Congratulations on your daughter's debut

If you prefer to stick with what you've already got, go with whichever fragrance seems "most appropriate"; only you can determine this, of course, though feedback from others can help.
    Since this sort of event is so bound to tradition, I'd also recommend selecting something that wears close to the skin/NOT splashing it on with abandon, as strong sillage may be viewed as inappropriate or worse, under the circumstances.

If you are up for trying something new, I'd suggest giving Frank Los Angeles (low-key, elegant) a go, but do NOT blind-buy something for so important an event. Try it first: If no accessible shops sell it (or something else you want to test) try luckyscents.com, or the like.
    Last edited by mysteriousmongoose; 1st April 2007 at 11:50 AM.

I agree with the Mysterious Mongoose on this; definitely try before you buy and stick with something that sits close to the skin and doesn't leave a huge wake of sillage. And choose something that makes you feel good about yourself and confident. But if you're using your daughter's debutante ball as an excuse to treat yourself to a new perfume, what about trying some of the classics? It's a good excuse to trawl through the BN database here too! There's a good range of Guerlains that are quite widely available from high-end department stores and they have some quiet beauties like L'Heure Bleue and Apres L'Ondee or even Luca Turin's favourite, Chamade. What about some of the less well-known Chanels or some of Hermes' lovely things?

Go through a few descriptions on the database and see if you can find some perfumes that sound nice and have notes that you like and make a shortish list of things you fancy. Then hit the nearest city's perfume counters for a full-on sniffathon. It's huge fun!

But back to your perfume for the ball. Like I say, go for something you really feel happy and confident wearing. And if that's Shalimar or Mitsouko, good for you. (Just go light on the application.)

[added later in edit]
    Oh pants! I really should have looked properly at your signature and realised you're a bloke. Sorry, my suggestions were for a laydee. But let's not be sexist here, if you can carry off Shalimar, go for it. Perhaps not for your daughter's deb ball though. Something quietly gentlemanly and debonair would seem to be in order. Still doesn't stop you exploring the gents' classics if you were looking for an excuse. I have no idea what it smells like, but I love the name of Mouchoir de Monsieur (Gent's Hanky is just not as appetising).
    Last edited by Wordbird; 14th May 2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: doh!