Code of Conduct

Default How am I going to replace my Patou?

I've had this fragrance for years and I found out today that it has been discontinued.

It's Un Amour de Patou. I can't distinguish the basenote, but it's almost drug-like. I want to say that it reminds me of the smell of cannabis when it's picked up from outside a building where it's being smoked, but that would do the perfume a huge disservice. But it does somehow have that effect for me, and whenever I wear it, I wonder why I don't wear it more. I love it to bits, and wonder if any of you know this perfume, and if so, if you can recommend any others that may be similar.

I'm actually VERY annoyed that so many of my favourites have disappeared over the years. Maybe I just have lousy taste in perfume or something, but I'm starting to feel victimised...

Clemmie

Default Re: How am I going to replace my Patou?

Hi Clemmie

I notice you're in the UK - have you looked in BeautyBase in Whiteleys (the big shopping centre in Bayswater)? They carry a lot of discontinued perfumes - I think their business model is to buy all the stock from bankrupted shops and to sell it all at a discount. I've found things there that haven't been made for years.

I wasn't able to find any online UK sellers, but there seem to be some shops in the US which still sell it and will import. Meanwhile, there's always eBay! And if you want a really good, faithful cannabis note without doing the *whistles innocently* obvious, Demeter do a fragrance called Cannabis Flower which is pretty good; it's certainly a better interpretation of weed than Fresh's Cannabis Santal.

Not, of course, that I have any idea at all what such a thing might smell like.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezeweasel View Post
    Hi Clemmie

I notice you're in the UK - have you looked in BeautyBase in Whiteleys (the big shopping centre in Bayswater)? They carry a lot of discontinued perfumes - I think their business model is to buy all the stock from bankrupted shops and to sell it all at a discount. I've found things there that haven't been made for years.

I wasn't able to find any online UK sellers, but there seem to be some shops in the US which still sell it and will import. Meanwhile, there's always eBay! And if you want a really good, faithful cannabis note without doing the *whistles innocently* obvious, Demeter do a fragrance called Cannabis Flower which is pretty good; it's certainly a better interpretation of weed than Fresh's Cannabis Santal.

Not, of course, that I have any idea at all what such a thing might smell like.
    Thanks for the tip! Bayswater is a bit of a way for me, but I'll keep it in mind. I don't actually know that cannabis is the basenote for this fragrance, that's just want it smells like to me (and I'm odd!)...but I'll check those out too, I've never heard of them!

Cheers,
    Clemmie

According to Osmoz, the notes are as follows:

Top note : Bergamot, Aldehydes, Rosewood, Green Note

Middle note : Rose, Orris, Jasmine, Lily of the valley

Base note : Musk, Sandal

No cannabis or, as I'd expected, patchouli, which can have a bit of a marijuana vibe sometimes.

eBay may be useful in acquiring more of this scent.
    Or you might like to sample Piguet's Bandit, which has an almost marijuana-like quality at times (patchouli and leather).

Seems it's mostly rose (which I don't get at all, my nose is bent!)...but the patchouli makes more sense!

I've found several online places where I can get it (including Amazon.com for $59). At least it's not impossible to find any more, which was nearly the case with Monsoon (got a 30ml bottle of that now, which will last me ages). I feel like I'm being held to ransom by the perfume houses to go around buying up all my favourite smells just in case...

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    I feel like I'm being held to ransom by the perfume houses to go around buying up all my favourite smells just in case...
    Oh, don't get me started! I've a horrible and expensive obsession with stocking up on favourites which have been discontinued - when Guerlinade was meant to be limited to a release of one year I bought three of the presentation bottles. I've got about six bottles of Guerlain Meteorites for the same reason...