Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fragrance and Wardrobe: Questions

When people speak of "carrying" or "pulling" off a fragrance, what do they mean? Do they refer to, for example, a man wearing a fragrance that was designed for/marketed to women (or vice versa)? Or, do they refer to how well a fragrance smells on him/herself personally?

Pink on men is an example. Some men wouldn't be caught dead wearing pink. Some men think that they can get away with a pink necktie-- sometimes. And then some (like me) absolutely LOVE pink and wear everything that they can get their hands on that is pink (and I have even been known to dye my underwear and socks pink, too, but then again I'm gay and can get away with it!). Some men call "carry off" pink; others refuse even to attempt to do so.

I can see how a guy who's taking a chance and wearing a pink tie might not choose also to wear Shalimar or some other "women's" fragrance that same day. I, on the other hand, like Shalimar and LOVE pink and wouldn't hesitate to wear both at the same time.

Also, has anyone ever considered wearing a fragrance that matches the clothes that they happen to be wearing on a particular day (or vice versa)? Examples: wearing Joop! while wearing something pink; wearing a "green" fragrance (e.g., Paco Rabanne Pour Homme or Calvin Klein's Eternity) while wearing green, Guerlain's Habit Rouge while wearing red etc.). I have a lovely chartreuse tee-shirt, and I am trying to think of "green" fragrances that could accompany it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fragrance and Wardrobe: Questions

For me personally, no color is "too feminine" (or too masculine, young/old, casual/formal, ...) to feel comfortable on me. There are colors that don't work well with my skin tone, but that's another issue.

However, there are definitely cuts of clothing that I can't pull off. No matter what Jean Paul Gaultier might think, I'm not going to be sporting a skirt anytime soon. Here's a more extreme case: if you're a man, wearing a floor-length Valentino gown isn't "pulling it off," it's cross-dressing or drag.

Fragrance, in my opinion, falls in between these cases. Some fragrances marketed to women (e.g. Kingdom) would be as comfortable for me to wear as a pair of pink trousers. Others (e.g. Guerlain Cherry Blossom) are more like a pink tutu -- nice, maybe, but not for me. [Edit: Still, if I had to choose between spending a day at work wearing Cherry Blossom or a tutu, the fragrance would be an easy choice.]

I don't really feel compelled to match my fragrance to my clothing choices. In fact, I like to wear formal fragrances like Bois de Portugal with jeans and a t-shirt. I suppose on the rare occasions that I dress "formal," I'll skip my sportier colognes -- if I'm dressing up, it's for a special event, and I'll pick a fragrance that suits the event as well.
    Last edited by PaulSC; 29th March 2007 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Clarity
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Le Pew View Post
    When people speak of "carrying" or "pulling" off a fragrance, what do they mean?
    Can't speak for anyone else, but for me "not being able to pull some fragrance off" means that it's not my type, that it's too something for me to feel comfortable in, that as opposed to scents that are "me" it's not like second skin.

Creed's Vanisia is a good example of this: to me it's the fragrance equivalent of an ill-fitting shiny white evening gown made out of very stiff material.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Le Pew View Post
    When people speak of "carrying" or "pulling" off a fragrance, what do they mean? Do they refer to, for example, a man wearing a fragrance that was designed for/marketed to women (or vice versa)? Or, do they refer to how well a fragrance smells on him/herself personally?
    For me when I say I want to carry off or pull off wearing a scent, I mean I want to have some outlandish fragrance quality floating around me, but have people smell it, look at me, and say to themselves that it somehow "works." Pulling off a fragrance that is outlandish could mean wearing a women's marketed fragrance and having people think it works on me, but doesn't only mean that. It could mean any crazy scent, of which I have dozens compared to what the average passer by and cubicle buddy is aware of. Route du Vetiver is one, and maybe Odeur 53 is another. It depends on what others are used to. It could be any floral--of which there are many men's marketed scents. Some of them one might feel easy carrying off, some maybe not, it depends on you and your audience's understanding of you. Another to carry off might be something that smells very 19th Century, like Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet, sometimes carrying something off can mean the civet in Jicky's risk, which is more to carry off than the fact that Jicky is now marketed to women.

Pink on men is an example. Some men wouldn't be caught dead wearing pink. Some men think that they can get away with a pink necktie-- sometimes. And then some (like me) absolutely LOVE pink and wear everything that they can get their hands on that is pink (and I have even been known to dye my underwear and socks pink, too, but then again I'm gay and can get away with it!). Some men call "carry off" pink; others refuse even to attempt to do so.
    That's sort of it, sort of like carrying off a wild fragrance, but really the color comparison to scent is not right as I look at it. Fragrance is it's own thing and only occasionally do I get color associations from scents. But carrying off a goofy fragrance is not unlike being confident in some other edge pushing endeavor--doing it makes your confidence more interesting when other people perceive you and make their initial conclusions, say.

I can see how a guy who's taking a chance and wearing a pink tie might not choose also to wear Shalimar or some other "women's" fragrance that same day. I, on the other hand, like Shalimar and LOVE pink and wouldn't hesitate to wear both at the same time.

Also, has anyone ever considered wearing a fragrance that matches the clothes that they happen to be wearing on a particular day (or vice versa)? Examples: wearing Joop! while wearing something pink; wearing a "green" fragrance (e.g., Paco Rabanne Pour Homme or Calvin Klein's Eternity) while wearing green, Guerlain's Habit Rouge while wearing red etc.). I have a lovely chartreuse tee-shirt, and I am trying to think of "green" fragrances that could accompany it.
    I don't make any of my scent selections this way, and come to think of it I haven't made clothing choices to enhance or detract from "womanly" qualities that might be presented when I've worn fragrances targeted to women. I don't pick macho clothes, say, when I wear a floral. If Joop! Homme's bottle's and juice's colors are what you like and integrate into your fragrance choice, I'm not one to argue with you, but that isn't the way I've ever made choices--I pick based on my nose's liking the smell. I use the sense of smell.

Carrying off or pulling off extravagant fragrances is very fun. But it isn't only pulling off something, which from the way I've presented it sounds like it's making the scent fit you in a social setting, carrying off and pulling off a scent are also showing a different side of you, an added sense and dimension to you. I've got a boss who I would love to get wearing very high end classic scents because he's so bland and ice cube-like in personality I'd like him to smell such that people are made to wonder, wow, there's actually lots of depth to that guy, he must be a hidden aristocrat. That would be pulling off Ambre Precieux, Zizanie, or even Acqua di Parma.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.