Code of Conduct

Default Trip to Neiman's Dallas

I went to my local Neiman Marcus and was really underwhelmed with the offerings there.

All the Ramon Monegal fragrances are very dull and basically skin scents.

I was not that impressed with MFK's Ouds and Lumiere Noir has been reformulated, smells quite watered down from the bottle I have.

Not impressed with the new TF offerings .

I only liked Lupin Dandy but it did now wow me.

Nothing really wowed me like Dior's prive collections did. I will just get a back up bottle for one of them.

Default Re: Trip to Neiman's Dallas

Had you already tried the Armani Prive collection? I think the Dallas Niemans is the only Nieman Marcus in the US that has them on hand in store, so I have been told. Otherwise, they have to be ordered through their website.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

I used to live in the building directly across the street from the Neiman's in downtown Dallas. I hadn't discovered the world of perfumes back then. Oh, what a shame! I had no idea what amazing things were available directly across the street!!!

Next time you go to there, you should see if they have Donna Karan Fuel. That stuff is superb. To the best of my knowledge, Neiman's is the only place in the U.S. where it's available. It may not be loud enough for your taste though. It's sort of like a nice leather than evolves into an Egoiste vibe. Really excellent.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I used to live in the building directly across the street from the Neiman's in downtown Dallas. I hadn't discovered the world of perfumes back then. Oh, what a shame! I had no idea what amazing things were available directly across the street!!!

Next time you go to there, you should see if they have Donna Karan Fuel. That stuff is superb. To the best of my knowledge, Neiman's is the only place in the U.S. where it's available. It may not be loud enough for your taste though. It's sort of like a nice leather than evolves into an Egoiste vibe. Really excellent.
    The original store downtown has a pathetic fragrance counter. Barely anything more than a Macys has. The Northpark store has EVERYTHING. NM in Houston has pretty much the same selection including the Armani Prive line.

OP I really would not trust your nose when testing all of those frags one after the other. The best thing to do is find an SA and call them next time you buy something. Ask for all the samples you can think of and have her send them with your order. Marjorie at Northpark is very, very generous with samples. I can send you her number and email if you would like. (Let her know that Jonathan referred you wink wink)
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer of a trip to Neiman's! Sometimes its a hard to place to browse, test and spend money. Lot's of distractions there.

Recently received superior online order service from Neimans in Dallas - I think it was the Northpark location that handled the order. Gracious service, with nice "free gifts" and a well-selected batch of samples. A great online ordering experience. Neimans does know what customer service means.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 28th February 2014 at 12:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had great experiences with both Neiman Marcus Northpark (my SA is Coco) and their website. Agree that their flagship store downtown pales in comparison to the Northpark store's offerings.

I just can't test fragrances in a store. I need samples to wear at home, not in an area where dozens of different things are always being sprayed.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Brückner - Aoud 1
    4. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    5. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    6. Dior - Vetiver
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    10. Creed - Royal English Leather

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    The original store downtown has a pathetic fragrance counter. Barely anything more than a Macys has.
    Good to know I wasn't missing much!

OP I really would not trust your nose when testing all of those frags one after the other.
    This is so true, and it's true for so many reasons. There are too many scents already in the air, and once you start testing, your sense of smell gets carried in one direction or another, and it can be hard to go from one scent to another. Think of it like taking a sip of wine, then a sip of milk, then a sip of beer, then a sip of coffee. It's easy to get overwhelmed - or, totally underwhelmed as you miss out on the nuances.

I do so much better of a job testing things at home.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Had you already tried the Armani Prive collection? I think the Dallas Niemans is the only Nieman Marcus in the US that has them on hand in store, so I have been told. Otherwise, they have to be ordered through their website.
    Yes, they had the new myrh one but it was ok nothing spectacular.

The original store downtown has a pathetic fragrance counter. Barely anything more than a Macys has. The Northpark store has EVERYTHING. NM in Houston has pretty much the same selection including the Armani Prive line.

OP I really would not trust your nose when testing all of those frags one after the other. The best thing to do is find an SA and call them next time you buy something. Ask for all the samples you can think of and have her send them with your order. Marjorie at Northpark is very, very generous with samples. I can send you her number and email if you would like. (Let her know that Jonathan referred you wink wink)
    Yes she is, is she the same Marjorie with the pony tail and has like this old school sophisticate vibe. She handles the Hermes counter at the Willow Bend Hermes and Guerlain at North Park. I will PM you for details.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Our Chicago store has the whole Armani Prive line. Also Nasomatto, Agonist, Thirdman, Atelier Cologne, etc.

OP did you mean that the Dallas Neimans has the Dior Prive collection?

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Our Chicago store has the whole Armani Prive line. Also Nasomatto, Agonist, Thirdman, Atelier Cologne, etc.

OP did you mean that the Dallas Neimans has the Dior Prive collection?
    No it does not, what I meant was none of them stacked up to it in particular ( Leather Oud, Oud Ispahan, Ambre Nuit )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    No it does not, what I meant was none of them stacked up to it in particular ( Leather Oud, Oud Ispahan, Ambre Nuit )
    Thats what i thought I was getting ready to make a phone call in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure Lumiere Noire has been reformulated? Any more input on that? (Sorry for the hijack)

Post Thanks / Like

I second that about not trusting your nose after sampling so much. I was just at the Northpark Neiman's picking up a Tom Ford split order and tried just about everything. My local Neiman's has about 1/4 the selection Northpark has. Even with the coffee breaks I knew I wasn't smelling straight. I did try the Armani Prive line again (sampled them one time before in Zurich Airport), but they were missing Rose D'Arabie for some reason. Creed SA let me spray on some Windsor he had behind the counter so I could try. Liked it, but longevity was below average for me.

Anyway Northpark location is great and I have had nothing but good experiences there. Also never heard or noticed a reformulation in MFK LN.
    Will spray some on again next time I'm there.
    Tom Ford Splits Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Quote Originally Posted by SilverJag View Post
    Are you sure Lumiere Noire has been reformulated? Any more input on that? (Sorry for the hijack)
    Yes its quite watered down in comparison to the 2011 bottle I have, I even went to seperate counters to make sure.