Code of Conduct

Default Testing (Mare Creative Universe and CdG Sequoia)

Got a chance to try these out this week and thought I might share my opinions. These are about as far apart as two scents can be and yet they have one thing in common - they both basically have only one note.

From what I can tell Mare is a purely oceanic scent. There is a hint of flowers involved, but it essentially tries to capture what an undisturbed beach should smell like. I've been very impressed with the longetivity (4-5 hours), and it truly does a great job of capturing the aroma of the sea. The only downside is that it veers dangerously close to 'bath soap' territory, if it were slightly less soapy it would be absolutely perfect. On the bright side, the lack of any hint of suntan lotion is a welcome departure from most so-called 'beach' scents.

On a related note, is this for real? http://cgi.ebay.com/Mare-Cologne-Cre...QQcmdZViewItem

Sequoia by Comme des Garcons is another single-note wonder that transports me directly to a redwood forest. Unfortunately now that I'm here I realize that I don't actually want to smell like one. That said, some credit needs to be given to CdG for accurately bottling the essence of a mighty sequoia and selling it in fragrance form. I am very impressed with both the longetivity and sillage (someone walking by me at the mall stopped and asked me what I was wearing - it was maybe 1/6 of a sample vial), and if the scent itself appealed to me a little more I would immediately purchase a bottle. This has convinced me that I should check out the rest of the CdG: Series 2 line of fragrances.

Anyone else try either of these linear wonders?

Default Re: Testing (Mare Creative Universe and CdG Sequoia)

Quote Originally Posted by Domer04 View Post
    On a related note, is this for real? http://cgi.ebay.com/Mare-Cologne-Cre...QQcmdZViewItem
    I'm skeptical, partly from a "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true" angle, and partly because the bottle looks different in this image at Beth Terry's own site: http://www.bethterryfragrances.com/fragrances.htm -- note in particular the dark type on white label. Doesn't prove anything, since Creative Universe may have changed its packaging, but still, I'm skeptical.
    Last edited by PaulSC; 29th March 2007 at 05:36 AM.
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by Domer04 View Post
    They both basically have only one note. Sequoia by Comme des Garcons is another single-note wonder
    I don't know about Mare...but Sequioa really isn't a single note wonder IMO....you have to smell it until the end.

their "Sarah Schwarts" instead of "Sarah Horowitz" is pretty funny.

I wore sequoia today for the first time in a full application! I actually found it winning me over. Even though it's the smell of a cigar box. Eventually I felt that yes it's nice to smell that way. I still prefer palisander which is a more complicated fragrance and very magical.

You might find Bulgari Aqua to be a cheaper alternative to Mare (its a tad less varied but shares the same "soiled diaper" note as Mare).
    -

Mare reminded me too much of Aqua Motu by CSP.

Sequoia rocks, in my opinion. Definitely not linear, at least not for me. Starts off spicy red, then it evens out into a nice redwood aroma. One would think they don't want to smell like a tree, but its worked wonders for me. The women love it and I always get compliments when I wear it.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Domer, for what it's worth, I too get a different drydown scent than the initial blast of a new cedar fence. My original sampling was a small dab on vial. The bottle I bought delivers a very fine and wide spray. Maybe application affects this one more than most. In the end it still smells like wood...a good thing for me.

Best regards...

Basenotes Institution

I have not sniffed Creative Universe.

The first time I sniffed Sequoia I was honestly a little underwhelmed - I didn't get strong tree bark notes. I also did not find it linear...it kind of transitioned once or twice while I had it on. I remember something really spicy and herbal about the smell, but NOT a powdery herbal but a more clean herbal smell (witch hazel?) I really had high hopes for Sequoia, but I think I like Carnation better...

I'm a big fan of Sequoia myself. I feel very powerful when I wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    You might find Bulgari Aqua to be a cheaper alternative to Mare (its a tad less varied but shares the same "soiled diaper" note as Mare).
    Thankfully I haven't encountered that note quite yet. I did give Mare another shot tonight and found myself less enchanted than earlier this week. Sometimes I think one sample vial isn't enough to truly make a solid decision.

Sequoia on the other hand is growing on me. This may be partially due to the fact that the two females that complimented me today on the scent were stunningly beautiful... ok, thats pretty much the only reason. But it's a damn good reason. I still don't sense any evolution though, it starts like a refined version of the inside of my humidor and seems to end that way as well. Maybe it is the way I'm applying the sample, or perhaps my nose just isn't refined enough to detect its subtleties.

On an somewhat unrelated note, I'm quite excited about CdG's Incense series, Kyoto in particular, which has proven to be surprisingly more wearable than I was expecting.

the only scent which has grabbed compliments for me is............sequoia