Code of Conduct

Thread: D'Orsay Arome 3

Default D'Orsay Arome 3

Any info/opinions on this one lately?

Also, I see that there is a Arome 3 traditional as well....Is the green boxed one the lavender scent? I have researched on the web but it seems most places have the description for Arome 3 as the Arome 3 traditional.
    The D'Orsay website has the green boxed one listed but not the other...anyways, any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

Default Re: D'Orsay Arome 3

Arome 3 is a Aromatic Fougère that starts of somewhat strongly with a sharp lavender accord but which dries down to probably one of a handful of the most smooth, heavenly musky, and slighty woody lavender accords one is ever likely to find in. In short, it is absolutely exquisite.

Arome 3 Tradition differs significantly from Arome 3 to be considered an entirely different fragrance. Whereas, Arome 3 is an Aromatic Fougère, Arome 3 Tradition is more of an Oriental Fougère with a balsamic chypre base. The lavender on top and throughout the drydown is even sharper than it is in Arome 3 and is blended with citrus with a slight touch of fruitiness (the latter two elements are not present in Arome 3’s top notes). The middle notes are a spicy floral blend (no spice in Arome 3), and the basenotes are vetiver, gaiac wood, amber, and melded with that characteristic D’Orsay balsamic chypre accord. Arome 3 Tradition is definitely not musky in the drydown, and overall it has a higher, sharper aromatic pitch than Arome 3 and is, of course, given the chypre element, more on the powdery side in the drydown. Like all D’Orsays it is masterfully blended, and, like all D’Orsays, this one also gives one a sense that it’s a fragrance from a bygone era of grand perfumery despite the fact that it was created in 1998.

Finally, the pyramid for Arome 3 in the Basenotes directory is incorrect; it's really the pyramid for Arome 3 Tradition.

I hope this helps.

scentemental

P.S.
    On a personal note: It's pretty appalling to see how little interest the D'Orsay line gets. It's understandable though given how persistently gah gah and provincial many people are with their complacency over the established niche brands but regrettable, nevertheless. The truth of this last statement will be confirmed by the small number of views and replies this thread will actually receive.

Last edited by scentemental; 29th March 2007 at 01:57 AM.

Thumbs up Re: D'Orsay Arome 3

I don't have Arome 3, but I have tried the Tilleul (beautiful) and have Etiquette Bleue and Le Dandy as full bottles. The description of the Arome 3 sounds very nice, especially the musky dry down.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    P.S. On a personal note: It's pretty appalling to see how little interest the D'Orsay line gets. It's understandable though given how persistently gah gah and provincial many people are with their complacency over the established niche brands but regrettable, nevertheless. The truth of this last statement will be confirmed by the small number of views and replies this thread will actually receive.
    I am a big fan of Parfums d'Orsay, and is why I am pretty consistent about naming it during the occasional "undervalued" or "underappreciated" threads. I think that part of the reason is the rare retail availability of the line, at least in the States. I've only seen the line in-person in one shop in the country: Parfumerie Nasreen in Seattle. Le Dandy is my favorite of the line, but all of them are of outstanding quality and an intriguing blend of old and new.

Jeff

Well, scentemental, I take that as a challenge. I agree with Jeff that a large problem for D'Orsay is its lack of distribution. It can be found at Bergdorf's as well, but that hardly makes it readily available. My favorites in the line are Le Dandy, Etiquette Bleu and Chevalier, in that order (all of which I own), and I will certainly check out Arome 3 next time I'm in New York. But I agree that it is a superb line.

Everything I've tried from d'Orsay reeks of style and a certain effortless nonchalance. Where your average designer scent these days is just a bland abomination (e.g. Joop! Go Away), many niches, especially the more recent ones, seem like gimmicky one-trick ponies (sort of like a lot of contemporary art) created for people with 30-second attention spans. In that respect d'Orsay is indeed from another world. These reformulations are great examples of careful modernization (of course, I don't know the old fragrances) in that they are in no way awkwardly oldfashioned, yet exude a sense of quality construction and ingredients. Etiquette Bleue is my favorite light EdT, neroli heaven Arome 3 is a lavender wonderland, and even Le Dandy is in no way over the top.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani View Post
    . . . I think that part of the reason is the rare retail availability of the line, at least in the States . . .

Jeff
    Jeff,

They are and have been readily available for years at Perfumebay.com Fourseasonsproducts.com, and at Beautycafe.com.

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    Jeff,

They are and have been readily available for years at Perfumebay.com Fourseasonsproducts.com, and at Beautycafe.com.

scentemental
    Yes, and thanks for reminding me of this. I was actually referring to brick-and-mortar stores with my comment about retail availability. I should have been more clear.

I crave all D'Orsay products except Blue which does not work for me. Arome 3 (trois not three) is a great fragrance, I mean truly great and worthy of placement in the pantheon of great mens' fragrances. I need not go into elements, which have been brilliantly stated previously by my Frater Scentemental. Arome 3 Trad is excellent too, and I do like sharp presentations, but I have not passed from my exploration of the beauty of Arome 3 as yet.

My personal favorite in daily use, however, is Chevalier D'Orsay. It has a hint of the opening of Arome 3, but goes in another fine direction, and suits me and my lifestyle. Chevalier D'Orsay has been well appreciated by an excellent review on this website by Tobbe, whose lyrical evocation of all that this fragrance represents was totally on the mark.

D'Orsay is a great house, and to fail to experience its masterpieces is a great lack in ones full enjoyment of this hobby.

I wish that English was my mother language. If it was I would wordily praise the whole line. It seems that here on the board Le Dandy caught all the attention ( like Ney York regarding the Parfums de Nicolai line). Arome 3, Chevalier, L Etiquette Bleue, Tilleul are pure poetry! French poetry. Mood fragrances....... It looks like the new owners of the company respected the heritage of the line..

Christian
    Last edited by costello; 29th March 2007 at 05:24 AM.
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

Quote Originally Posted by costello View Post
    It looks like the new owners of the company respected the heritage of the line..

Christian
    New owners? What can you tell us about the "new owners"?

Joe

I also notice that some scents come in 200ml atomizer bottles....
    Why not ship to USA

http://www.parfumsdorsay.co.uk/fragr...ragrances.html