Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Are you a Full Bottle Queen or a Sample/Decant Princess?

Well, I have been a full-bottle-at-once Queen but I have learned my lesson. Sadly, a mere 1/32 oz. sample is hardly enough for me to judge fully if I love a scent or not, so decants are a great way to really test-drive a fragrance. If it is LOVE, then I am still going for the full bottle!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

I would say I'm both. I have a ton of samples lying around that I've picked up in order to determine if I like the scents enough to buy a full bottle. Sadly I suffer a bit from "fragrance ADD" and don't finish 90% of the bottles I buy. For this reason, picking up decants would absolutely be the more practical way to go. But I want the packaging of the real thing. What I would really love would be if more companies offered smaller sizes (1 oz, minis, etc). I can only dream.

I love bottles! So I have waaaayyy too many. Lately, I've been collecting more mini's, which satisfy the urge to have the bottle itself, as well as have the scent in a smaller size so I can see if I like it first.

Full bottle, mostly 3.4 oz EDP. I also love a collection of essential oils.

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    ...I am a COMBINATION Queen... I have a huge, ongoing number of sample vials, which I am constantly working through, that I try to rapidly translate (via the magic of Basenotes) to "tried that" or "wish list." From there, I need to decide if the ones on my "wishlist" are scents I MUST OWN IMMEDIATELY, in which case I check the discount perfumers...
    I think I'm the same...although I can't afford to buy samples, so I collect them from department stores I go through and try a sample a day (unless I am really in the mood for something I already own, or I need a scent that I know goes well on me, so it won't offend the people around me), and after I've tried one, I go through and rate it on my Basenotes wardrobe. Eventually, probably when the sample vial is finished, I move the scent either to my "tried" list or my "wishlist".

But I do own full bottles of a number of fragrances, and hopefully my collection of bottles will increase

I'm a Full Bottle King!

While I'm learning about fragrances, I'm a sample princess. Once I've finished sowing my fragrance oats, I predict full bottle queendom. Paying over $200 CAD for Bond No. 9 Gramercy Park was the beginning of my sample craze . . . . When I thought, "Pleasant fragrance, but I might have paid $10 for this on Ebay," instead I spent twenty times as much!

Talking Re: Are you a Full Bottle Queen or a Sample/Decant Princess?

I have gone from Full bottle Queen to Sample/Decant and Mini Princess. I was a full bottle buyer - but I just got too disinterested in the frags. I was going for the 'economical' 100ml which was $20.00 more than the 50ml etc and in the end I was giving them to my sisters or taking them to work for the communal toilet. My 75ml VCA First ended up there and my 50ml EDT Mitsouko.

I am now proudly a sample and decant Princess. But I am a bit like the others - I go through them too quick - and I won't admit to how many samples have accidently been spilled so half of the precious liquid is in the crook of my elbow or running like a river into my bra! But I LOVE minis! I get the lovely bottle, the new frag and they look SO CUTE!

I am so glad I bought my Caron's as a sample. They are definitely not a blind buy! Problem is - no one knows what frag I am talking about when I rave about Carons, Serge Lutens or Creed. Alas - the ever encompassing drugstore frags have taken over - and all the Sales Assist are like Zombies - 'Have you tried .....' insert J Lo, Britney, Paris and whoever else!

I'm both... I have full bottles of those I really like and on the step below that waits a bunch of decants to be promoted to the full bottle status. It's like the Idols. You suck, baby, go try impress my friend; you are good, but not good enough, so thank you for the pleasure of 5 ml and bye bye; and you won the battle for my heart, welcome in the high society
    And then there are the minis, of course... but that's more a collecting interest. Like getting all the Aqua Allegorias and all Riccis etc.

*Sigh*
    I had to set myself a limit on bottles--no more room in the drawer, too much money spent, not using them fast enough.
    (I can see how "The Colonel" reached the 500-bottle mark.)
    I'm stuck with what I've got until I use some up--and I'm trying, but I always buy the big bottles because the cost per oz./ml is higher on the small bottles!
    So, my sample collection is growing...
    I must complete more reviews...

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    I must complete more reviews...
    We will be the wealthier for that. Such eloquent descriptions!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I'm an avid fan of both bottles and samples. I insist on picking up samples in stores. I have a policy of 'no sample, no sale'. I am happy to spend money on bottles if I can afford it. However, I don't like to waste my hard-earned wages, so I don't make blind purchases (there are some historical exceptions).

I order samples online on a regular basis. Miller Harris is a particularly good one to order- they send you approx 19 vials in one box set, with the name printed on the vial so you needn't worry if it detaches from the card. My sample vials outnumber the full bottles now, but if I fall in love I must have the bottle immediately, and other times I grow to love a perfume gradually and will buy a bottle after some time.

The decants offered online are intriguing but I've never sent for any. I'm not sure how the system works on Basenotes so I ought to spend time reseraching the relevant threads. I have some bottles I'd be happy to decant for others if I thought I could do it properly. I decant some for my own use, carrying small vials and atomisers around in my bag or to keep at the office, but I'd be wary of doing this to post to anyone else in case my standards fell short. Some bottles are impossible to get at with their puckered metal fixtures (sorry, don't know the jargon for that) but others, such as Serge Lutens, are made for decanting.

At my local SL stockists the assistants are very generous with samples - they can't bear to see them languish in the drawers. I wish this were the case with all stores. Sometimes I feel as if I'm holding them at gunpoint to hand over the jewels. They are obviously not perfume lovers.

I am a full bottle girl...but if I am even remotely ambivalent about a fragrance, I WILL NOT BUY. If it's a fragrance I'm 'in like' with, like Fracas or some of the Bonds, I'll do decant or sample. My Fracas is actually a largish sample that's lasted me two years (but then, I only wear it a few times a year).