Code of Conduct

Exclamation Shalimar is Butch!

I've tried Jicky and I just can't get past that "baby vomit" top note. I'm a vanilla and lavender fanatic and I am freaking out over Shalimar. It is, that good. The current "gourmand" frags have a huge debt to this sublime creation. Mind you, I am not the biggest gourmand fan, but I think that these days, "sweet" equals modern. I realize that the original oak moss has been replaced, but this stuff is so, "wrist to nose".

Default Re: Shalimar is Butch!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I've tried Jicky and I just can't get past that "baby vomit" top note. I'm a vanilla and lavender fanatic and I am freaking out over Shalimar. It is, that good. The current "gourmand" frags have a huge debt to this sublime creation. Mind you, I am not the biggest gourmand fan, but I think that these days, "sweet" equals modern. I realize that the original oak moss has been replaced, but this stuff is so, "wrist to nose".
    Did you try the parfum? That stuff is amazing.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Actually, I started with the EDT, but today I had unlimited access to the parfum. Yes!!!!!!!

Can anyone verify that Shalimar is masculine enough to wear? It's not that I don't trust Ruggles, it's just that the more men who testify about Shalimar's manlyness the better. Also, is it true that Shalimar is similar to Jicky?

Quote Originally Posted by yepyep View Post
    Can anyone verify that Shalimar is masculine enough to wear? It's not that I don't trust Ruggles, it's just that the more men who testify about Shalimar's manlyness the better. Also, is it true that Shalimar is similar to Jicky?
    Although Jicky and Shalimar may share some notes, Jicky makes me physically ill, but Shalimar is my favorite fragrance for a woman. Personally, I think it's strictly a feminine fragrance, but if you're a guy and it works for you then go for it.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

I tried Shalimar a while ago and it seemed distinctly sweet, with lots of vanilla (hence the "feminine" tag). It was tough to love. I might need to try this old classic again, but it seems I might be more of a "Jicky" guy.
    Last edited by zztopp; 30th March 2007 at 03:23 AM.
    -

Like DJB, Shalimar is the fragrance I find most appealing on a woman. For a man, if you feel confident enough to wear it, I believe you can pull it off. There are numerous unisex scents out therethat are probably more feminine than Shalimar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Wrist-to-nose frag (for a man), that's nail on! Shalimar (1925) is the next generation in Guerlain perfumes after Jicky. And they are both based on latest discoveries of making vanilla in chemical labs of their time. With Shalimar their famous house smell, the Guerlinade was born. The backside of this: a similarity in perfumes extending to Habit Rouge (1965). House smells can get a little enervating if you own more than two or three from the same (Creed, Montale, Lutens, and a few others). After an overdose of Shalimar vanilla in fragrances has become slightly problematic with me, and I now enjoy Caron's p.u.Homme (1934) less than I did before - much to my regret!
    Last edited by narcus; 30th March 2007 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Blog Entries

For cripes sake man, you already have your own!!

Guerlain Habit Rouge is the masculine 'interpretation' of the Shalimar theme.

It is very similar but a little less sweet and densely powdery. I tend to wear it in summer when Shalimar is too cloying and powdery. Though I haven't tried it, I believe the EDP version is even more similar to Shalimar than the EDT or Cologne; (and yes there is an EDP strength available).

http://www.osmoz.com/encyclo/marques...RFUM&LANGUE=en
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    Guerlain Habit Rouge is the masculine 'interpretation' of the Shalimar theme...
    I guess you are right, Moondiva! If I am not mistaken Habit Rouge EDP is one of the very few Europerfumes, before Montale, that have a minute dose of oudh included. Maybe that's why I can bear it on me. One could revert what you just said, and encourage men who are almost in love with HR to try Shalimar instead.
    Last edited by narcus; 30th March 2007 at 07:24 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Thumbs up Re: Shalimar is Butch!

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Wrist-to-nose frag (for a man), that's nail on! Shalimar (1925) is the next generation in Guerlain perfumes after Jicky. And they are both based on latest discoveries of making vanilla in chemical labs of their time. With Shalimar their famous house smell, the Guerlinade was born. The backside of this: a similarity in perfumes extending to Habit Rouge (1965). House smells can get a little enervating if you own more than two or three from the same (Creed, Montale, Lutens, and a few others). After an overdose of Shalimar vanilla in fragrances has become slightly problematic with me, and I now enjoy Caron's p.u.Homme (1934) less than I did before - much to my regret!
    Brilliant post, Narcus.
    Shalimar has taught me that Vanilla has always been my touchstone. It helped me move my attraction to it from a sub-conscious desire into a conscious decision. Perhaps this is a version of Aroma Therapy?
    I certainly hope that I don't loose my enjoyment of Caron pour un Homme as a side effect. LOL.
    I couldn't agree more with your point that every fragrance house wears its signature on its sleeves. So many Serge Lutens are variations on a theme, Arabie and Santal de Mysore, for example. Love them both, but do I need them both? As far as Creed goes, I love so many of their top and middle notes, but then there's that Creed base that I just don't care for.