Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What makes a scent smell like "old man"

When people talking about old or old men scents it has nothing to do with the scent itself but with persons associated with some notes in some scents.Most of the time it goes about scents with heavy citrus or vetiver notes.Fathers,uncles or grandpa's used a lot of this type of scents and thats why we call some scents old.;do you think your grandchildren will use Aqua di Gio in the future? Of course not;nobody likes to smell like granddaddy!Once I bougth a bottle Armani PH;2 times people around me told me I smelled like an old uncle....people who said this where relatives and they where talking about the same uncle! Thats the scent/person association i am talking about.Well, at the moment I can wear them all,because I am an old uncle now...and when my cuisins smell the scent I was wearing on a friend or girlfiend they will say,,you smell like an old man' .Thats life !

To me "old man smell", or rather "old person smell" is not unsimilar to the "new born baby smell". It´s a milky smell, though with old people it is more pronounced and more akin to the smell of steamed milk with a touch of grey added.
    I am not sure which fragrances, (if any) contain a warm milk note ?

This thread makes me despair - could people attempt to look beyond their limited understandings of age and try to place it in a broader context? We live in a society that celebrates youth and marginalises the old; this thread is a representation of such values. What strikes me absurd about this is what has already been said: we all, if we are lucky, will one day be old.

The language many use in this thread dismisses their future selves.

Please, have some dignity. I visit Basenotes because it is different, in many ways, to other internet evironments focused on the vapid celebration of the young at the expense of the rest of our world - on this thread, vapidity has taken over.

Yours
    An old man-to-be (I hope).

I'd agree with Eau Sauvage, and add Royal Scottish Lavender. I guess thats why I like them so very much. There is something about them which speaks of age, wisdom, and gravitas.

Quote Originally Posted by leopoldo View Post
    This thread makes me despair - could people attempt to look beyond their limited understandings of age and try to place it in a broader context? We live in a society that celebrates youth and marginalises the old; this thread is a representation of such values. What strikes me absurd about this is what has already been said: we all, if we are lucky, will one day be old.

The language many use in this thread dismisses their future selves.

Please, have some dignity. I visit Basenotes because it is different, in many ways, to other internet evironments focused on the vapid celebration of the young at the expense of the rest of our world - on this thread, vapidity has taken over.

Yours
    An old man-to-be (I hope).
    Good morning, my beloved soulmate !
    Nice to spy you here...

What do old men smell of ? REALLY old men ? Men that are homeless?
    Why, aged urine, and unwashed nether-regions, my dear gentlemen.
    Take it from one who has immense knowledge in this arena.

There has been some few comments a long time ago that YSL PH and Héritage (and many others) as being frags that smell like "old man", if that's the case, then i'd love to smell like one, and i see nothing wrong with it.

In fact today, in the day i am turning older, i am wearing Héritage.

Dated notes to me. I am 40.
    Vetiver
    Oak Moss
    Amber/Musk accord