Code of Conduct

Thread: Hi new here.

Default Hi new here.

I had a few questions. What the current trend replacing the aquatic scene for cologne. I am getting sick of the aquatics and want something new and trendy(I am a guy by the way).

I am starting to like the spicier smells like Micheal kors, gucci rush and farenheit.

Also is their a good place to get frangrances online in Canada. I keep on getting killed on shipping from places in the united states.

Also is there anyway to get perfume and cologne samples in Canada. Most places offer US only. I find it wierd that I have no samples but close to 40 bottles of cologne(crappy I know compared to everyone here).

Also to those In Canada, here are some local deals you can probaly find in your local Walmart and Superstore.

They Have Rive gauche(ysl) for $19.999 125mL) and have Opiom Pour Homme(ysl) for 24.99(100mL)(both walmart). Also The real Canadian superstore had 100 ml of D and G be for $29.99 (100ml) and female Armani shi for 19.99(50ml). The Demeter collection(women stuff) is 5 dollars for those interested also at this store. Also Kouros Body at zellers for 30 dollars for 100 ml.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 30th March 2007 at 06:24 AM.

Default Re: Hi new here.

How come acquatics are so popular in Canada?

I'd have thought they'd be more used in a warm place, but Canada is generally a cool place - perfect I'd have thought for Opium and Body Kouros for evening wear, and D&G Homme for anytime wear.
    Renato

Unhappy Re: Hi new here.

Its probaly because we wish we were a warm place

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Cool Re: Hi new here.

"When cold-freeze. When hot-burn".--Zen saying.

Our summer is already peeking over the horizon here in south Florida. Havana for Men, shorts, Tommy Bahama shirts and Cuba Libre's on the beach and under the palm trees for all the guys! Move over, gentlemen, because ladies, you are also invited...
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

IMHO, if the popularity of Terre d'Hermès and Dior Homme are any indicators, the trend is towards sweet, but not gourmand, masculines. At the same time, it also seems to be a very anti-vanilla moment.

Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    I had a few questions. What the current trend replacing the aquatic scene for cologne. I am getting sick of the aquatics and want something new and trendy(I am a guy by the way).

I am starting to like the spicier smells like Micheal kors, gucci rush and farenheit.

Also is their a good place to get frangrances online in Canada. I keep on getting killed on shipping from places in the united states.

Also is there anyway to get perfume and cologne samples in Canada. Most places offer US only. I find it wierd that I have no samples but close to 40 bottles of cologne(crappy I know compared to everyone here).

Also to those In Canada, here are some local deals you can probaly find in your local Walmart and Superstore.

They Have Rive gauche(ysl) for $19.999 125mL) and have Opiom Pour Homme(ysl) for 24.99(100mL)(both walmart). Also The real Canadian superstore had 100 ml of D and G be for $29.99 (100ml) and female Armani shi for 19.99(50ml). The Demeter collection(women stuff) is 5 dollars for those interested also at this store. Also Kouros Body at zellers for 30 dollars for 100 ml.

I am in Canada too and have had very good luck with ebay.ca (reputable sellers only) and I have bought a few from basenoters. I too have found some deals at SuperStore. May I ask what city you are in? Sounds to me like Toronto has bigger stores than Vancouver increasing chances of getting more and better deals.

Hi i am in Regina. Sk. Here it is still snowing and we had a blizzard 2 weeks ago.

Actually I think I can find these deals because its basically the boonies here and not very many people are into colognes. However regardless of where you go, shoppersdrugmart rocks, when it is 20x points day.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 30th March 2007 at 09:15 PM.

Basenotes Institution

New trends, you ask?

How 'bout the 'Black'-ness of most scents: Polo Black, Polo Double Black, Azzarro Silver Black Onyx, Bijan Black, Hugo Boss in Motion Black, Kiton Black, Perry Ellis 360 Black, Roberto Cavalli Black, blah, blah, blah

Kinda derivative, no?

Yeah that is alot of black, but would you say all those scents have a darkness to them, or rather they have black in the name to sound cool.

Paco Rabanne Black XS smells nothing like what its called

since we at it...it falls under that 'newer' scent that tries to satisfy to sweet tooth
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    Yeah that is alot of black, but would you say all those scents have a darkness to them, or rather they have black in the name to sound cool.
    Most of the 'black' scents are darker versions of the non-black scents...if that makes sense...And this is a little confusing because some of the originals are not 'light' scents, so the 'black' versions are not only just more suited for nighttime since the original might be suited for nighttime already...

However there is a portion of these, that just are using the 'black' term as a marketing ploy (yes, Polo Double Black...I'm talking to you)

p.s. - I love Paco Rabanne XS Black...but really it should be named Paco Rabanne XS Strawberry

Yeah, the latest thing is to append the word "Black" to any existing scent.

I wouldn't be too worried about what the trends are if I were you,
    but there's nothing wrong with wearing the latest popular scent, if
    that's what you want. Black Code, Polo Double Black, these are some I hear
    good things about.

I still think the best advice is to sample a _LOT_ of fragrances and
    then just buy the few that you love tremendously. That advice may have
    kept my wardrobe a lot smaller and my wallet a bit fatter.

Nonetheless, enjoy the fragrance journey, and welcome to Basenotes.

trumpet_guy

Thanks. Honestly I might slow down a big, I have purchased 20 fragrances in the last 3 months. For the type of person I am, thats crazy. Especially since I don't plan on selling or decant anything I have.

Well we can definitely agree on 1 thing, atleast they come in black bottles.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 31st March 2007 at 12:01 PM.

at least the black bottles are useful at somewhat sheilding the juice from sunlight
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

The current "trend" (but that's moving very very slowly) is "abstract florals" -as i like to call them!.

oh and Welcome!

Very true about black. However black also absorbs all wavelengths of light, so I wonder how much this would effects the contents inside.(e.g black absorbs all colours and hence a black car will get warmer, while a white reflects all colours which is why they remain cooler in sunny conditions)

Smile Re: Hi new here.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    The current "trend" (but that's moving very very slowly) is "abstract florals" -as i like to call them!.

oh and Welcome!
    I agree, Dior Homme is certainly an abstract riff on the Iris note and its popularity surprises me. Who knew that men would respond so well to a fragrance that is similiar to women's make-up?

I'd forget about any trends and wear what makes you feel happy

When all around you people seem to be drowning in Hugo Boss and Acqua di Gio, wear something that'll make you stand out and get people interested.

Off-Scenter

Thumbs up Re: Hi new here.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post

I still think the best advice is to sample a _LOT_ of fragrances and
    then just buy the few that you love tremendously. That advice may have
    kept my wardrobe a lot smaller and my wallet a bit fatter.

trumpet_guy
    Trumpet_guy's hit the nail on the head. I enjoy sampling, but given my "champagne taste," I've got to be utterly sold on a scent before I spend money on a bottle. I'm not likely to keep more than (a paltry by BN standards) twenty bottles at a time, but they're all 4-5 star scents for me.

Oh, and ditto Biffo_The-Bear: wear only what you like, not what's trendy!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 1st April 2007 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    IMHO, if the popularity of Terre d'Hermès and Dior Homme are any indicators, the trend is towards sweet, but not gourmand, masculines. At the same time, it also seems to be a very anti-vanilla moment.
    Popularity here or popularity in general?
    --------------------------------------
    Oh and Taj, you mentioned Fahrenheit. Can't go wrong there. Not exactly current and trendy anymore, but an excellent selection nonetheless.

Lets see. Spicy.

-Opium
    -Yes, Fahrenheit
    -Gucci PH
    -Azzaro Visit (aviod if you don't like nutmeg)
    -Terre d'Hermes (definitely has a peppery note even though its an earthy citrus overall)
    -L'Air du Desert Marocain...expensive but you should at least order a sample if you like spice.
    -Diptyque Eau Lente (again, expensive. sample)

Take this list as a stepping stone, not as stopping point. As others have said, sample EVERYTHING you can.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 1st April 2007 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

[QUOTE=LiveJazz;1005969]Popularity here or popularity in general?
    --------------------------------------
    I think that both Terre and Dior Homme are hugely popular with the general public. They certainly are very promimently displayed in both Sephora and Duty Free Shops throughout the US. I seem to be smelling the two around quite a bit these days.