Code of Conduct

Thread: Incense

Default Incense

Recently I got a chance to sample Kyoto by CdG, which is an incense-based scent, and absolutely loved it. I have absolutely nothing like it in my wardrobe, and was wondering, what other incense fragrances would you recommend trying before making a purchase?

Default Re: Incense

Quote Originally Posted by Domer04 View Post
    Recently I got a chance to sample Kyoto by CdG, which is an incense-based scent, and absolutely loved it. I have absolutely nothing like it in my wardrobe, and was wondering, what other incense fragrances would you recommend trying before making a purchase?
    You should also try the other three from CdG Series 3. I must too, as I love Avignon which is the only one I have sampled so far.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

LV's Incensi is wonderful in my opinion !!!

Yeah, LVC Incensi is divine, though the vibe is quite different from the CdGs. More cinnamon-christmassy.

Another you have got to try is Vendetta pour homme by Valentino. It's discontinued, but easily available through ebay. Madness. One of the best (incense) frags ever.

Tam Dao has a very strong incense note, mixed with cedar and sandalwood.

Messe de Minuit by Etro is a sweet incense - contains cinnamon. In fact the impression is one of eating cinnamon roles in an ancient, dusty crypt. Quirky. I like it.

DSH Sandalo Inspiritu is a complex blend with a distinct, beautiful incense note, but it is not primary.

And how about C&S Frankincense&Myrrh. Don't know it, but judging from the other C&S's this will have character, for sure.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Dependent

there's also

Creed's Angelique Encens
    Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande
    and
    Armani's Privé Bois d'Encens

Gucci pour homme and CDG 2 Man are also very nice. Some say the CDG is a rip-off of Gucci ph, but I disagree. For me, if anything, it's Gucci ph done right.

I guess the ultimate incense scent would be Norma Kamali Incense.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Basenotes Institution

If you like Kyoto - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE try the other scents in the Incense series scents. They truly capture the smoke, scents and vibe of incense in all of its varieties.

There's actually a total of 5 of them, besides Kyoto: Jaisalmer, Ourazate, Avignon and Zagorsk.

I own Kyoto and Jaisalmer - but almost everyone I know raves about Avignon (this will be my next purchase)

Also, if you can find it, try Chaos by Donna Karan (it's been discontinued) my scent of the day today.

Norma Kamali Incense.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I just put a little of M7 on my finger and I do not know of thr drydown but I smelled INCENSE right away, I mean right off the bat! lol

I might actually just do a little on the inner elbow with M7 sometime soon, I dont know if I'm too crazy about that scent to put it all over the pulse spots.

Definately incense.

I didn't have much luck with Kyoto. I had high hopes but turned out rather ordinary on me.

My favorite with incense is Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange.

Strong, Long lasting, Great Sillage and a scent to remember.

Just about anything from Ava Luxe is very much in the way of incense.

S

MIchel Germain's Sexual is a good one for incense. Intense incense!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    If you like Kyoto - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE try the other scents in the Incense series scents. They truly capture the smoke, scents and vibe of incense in all of its varieties.
    That's great advice.

My favorite in that series is Zagorsk. It has a greater degree of uniqueness than the others, IMO. Avignon is very good too, notable frankincense. Kyoto is also appealing, but kind of similar to Gucci pH.

Smile Re: Incense or ourselves we reach for?

Incense - its such a great fragrance note that brings out the essence of our search. The absolute best place to start for incense fragrance is Commes De Garcon Incense Series. AVIGNON is my favorite but is the most severe, outstanding! KYOTO is light but always excellent. OUARZATE is probably next in personality with much more spice. ZAGORSK is a very severe piny incense, but good for a spartan attitude adjustment. Others in the CdG line that are all about incense but are listed in other categories are: PALISANDER - deep wood with rich spice notes, SEQUOIA - sweet and boozy but with a warming redwood note, CINNAMON - dry woody cinnamon with light incense finish.

Other incenses worth trying are- ARMANI PRIVE BOIS D'ENCENS - A frankincense and resin type incense with deep body. DIPTYQUE - EAU D'TROIS a pine based incense with a soft drydown. ETRO - MESSE DE MENUIT - a deep fruit incense + dry wood notes, very mysterious.

L' ARTISAN PERFUMER has a variety of fragrances that are strong incense category. These are: DZONKA - dry pine (similar to CdG Zagorsk), TIMBUKTU - spicy and fruitbasket but with a nice incense drydown similar to Kyoto. PASSAGE D'ENFER (transl. the road to hell!?) warm incense plus lilly with animalic musk note in the drydown.

Of all of these my personal favorites are CdG Avignon, Armani Bois D' Incens, CdG Kyoto and CdG Palisander. When I really want to add some mystery I will sample the Etro Messe De Menuit.

Default Re: Incense or ourselves we reach for?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Incense - its such a great fragrance note that brings out the essence of our search. The absolute best place to start for incense fragrance is Commes De Garcon Incense Series. AVIGNON is my favorite but is the most severe, outstanding! KYOTO is....

Other incenses worth trying are- ARMANI PRIVE BOIS D'ENCENS - A frankincense and resin type incense with deep body....

L' ARTISAN PERFUMER has a variety of fragrances that are strong incense category....Of all of these my personal favorites are.....
    Wow - that more ore less sums it all up ! I am impressed by this grand debut. Welcome Buzzlepuff - we hope you like it here, and look forward to reading more!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Default Re: Incense or ourselves we reach for?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Incense - its such a great fragrance note that brings out the essence of our search. The absolute best place to start for incense fragrance is Commes De Garcon Incense Series. AVIGNON is my favorite but is the most severe, outstanding! KYOTO is light but always excellent. OUARZATE is probably next in personality with much more spice. ZAGORSK is a very severe piny incense, but good for a spartan attitude adjustment. Others in the CdG line that are all about incense but are listed in other categories are: PALISANDER - deep wood with rich spice notes, SEQUOIA - sweet and boozy but with a warming redwood note, CINNAMON - dry woody cinnamon with light incense finish.

Other incenses worth trying are- ARMANI PRIVE BOIS D'ENCENS - A frankincense and resin type incense with deep body. DIPTYQUE - EAU D'TROIS a pine based incense with a soft drydown. ETRO - MESSE DE MENUIT - a deep fruit incense + dry wood notes, very mysterious.

L' ARTISAN PERFUMER has a variety of fragrances that are strong incense category. These are: DZONKA - dry pine (similar to CdG Zagorsk), TIMBUKTU - spicy and fruitbasket but with a nice incense drydown similar to Kyoto. PASSAGE D'ENFER (transl. the road to hell!?) warm incense plus lilly with animalic musk note in the drydown.

Of all of these my personal favorites are CdG Avignon, Armani Bois D' Incens, CdG Kyoto and CdG Palisander. When I really want to add some mystery I will sample the Etro Messe De Menuit.

I'm with narcus, this was an extremely helpful reply, thanks a bunch! And thanks to the rest of you who posted as well, I have a lot of testing to do...