Code of Conduct

Default A Russian Woman, A French Man, and My Perfumes...

Hey guys, I had to share this with you.

Tonight I was at work tending bar. There was a pretty Russian redhead sitting at the bar next to a French guy. She had an accent and was very attractive. I really wanted to get her attention, but i didn't know how. I didn't want to intrude or anything, but I did want to talk to her.

Well as luck would have it, as i walked past her she was talking about her new perfume and asking the man to smell it. She was talking about how fragrances smell different on other people and how you have to find the one that suits you.

Without thinking, I walked up and deposited two vials on the bar from my pockets. These were two fragrances I had created two days ago. One was a feminine scent-- a powdery green somewhere between Calamus and Escada Magnetism. It's fresh up top and the basenotes have kind of a "Count Chocula" thing going on. The other scent was a masculine scent I came up with when I was trying to hack Antaeus. It's leathery, mossy and actually smells a bit like Tsar or Jazz.

So the girl took the feminine scent and dabbed some on her arm. She was impressed with it. She kept saying, "You made this? How do you MAKE something like this?" And the best part was, I had to get back to work (Some grumpy old 'harrumpher' got mad because he had to wait for a beer because I was talking to this girl --f*ck him!), but after about five minutes of making drinks i walked back past this girl and she smelled really good. And it was my creation that I was smelling! And my ears started burning when this French guy was talking about me like I wasn't there. He was saying about me, "This guy here, he's got a talent. He's going to make a million bucks. I know it."

Then the best part-- She smelled the masculine fragrance which i simply labelled as "chypre" on the vial. She went nuts. She kept going on about how sexy it was, and even if it was for men she was going to wear it herself.

I was finally getting a kind of good feeling I don't get to experience much at work when I'm slinging drinks. I always wonder if my ship is ever going to come in. I don't know if my scents thus far would impress the typical jaded Basenoter or not, but I do know that I'm on the right path. I still have a mountain of stuff to learn, but I will say this--there are few things I've experienced that are as cool as a gorgeous strange woman wearing something you created and smelling unbelievably sexy in the process.

I gave the girl my email so maybe she'll write me and tell me more about what she thought of my perfumes. It's nice to have something to keep you going...

Default Re: A Russian Woman, A French Man, and My Perfumes...

Thats awesome! nothing like getting compliments on your "work" especially if you was passionate about it...

I feel good when a girl agrees with my recommendations when we go fragrance hunting...must be much more satisfying if its something you created....
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like

Great story. Hey, if Andy Tauer did it, so can you (but be sure to charge $100 per bottle from the start )
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Great story, Indie! It must be such an honor to have someone else fall in love with your fragrances and really feel the vibe of what you've been working on. Keep 'em coming.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

It's wonderful to have your work appreciated when it has come from the heart, whatever that work might be, and all BNers will understand the love you would have invested in making your perfumes. Well done Indie, I'm pleased you found such an appreciative recipient to give you encouragement and affirmation.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

And if you can get the grumpy old 'harrumpher' to wear one of your creations you know you can mass-market it also. Good luck!
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

AWESOME...AWESOME...AWESOME...
    Its always strangers who pay the most respect....The people I work with think i'm some kind of freak because I would spend over $100 for "cologne" as they say....But nonetheless...Great story, keep up the good work...and don't forget to send free samples to ME!
    HAHA...Good Luck dude.

Post Thanks / Like

Great story, as always!! That's awesome, I look forward to seeing your creations in the Basenotes' directory, haha!

Great story. Good to have positive reinforcement every once in a while. Especially when it comes in the form of an attractive girl.
    Good to see you posting a bit more again. I am enjoying reading your steady improvement in the world of scents. Keep creating. Hopefully you will have something we basenoters can test soon. Let me know the moment you do, I will have my paypal account armed and ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Woot woot! Congrats!
    I might need to give "chypre" a test run for you, just to make sure the girls won't go too crazy over it.
    I really like this thread because it's the inverse of the usual what scents should I wear to get compliments junk.
    Keep up the good work!
    It's too bad I'm way too busy these days to stop by and sniff your most recent creations...I'll see if I can't find a free day some time in April.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Stuff!

My suggestions (assuming you do want to eventually market your scents)

Try more strangers. When you get a hit rate of 3/4 its time to go to the market, you don't need 100%. Strong reactions are good, even if negative. Also, start building up a data base contact list now of people who are interested. Send them an email now and then to keep them advised of developments and try and find a few who are particularly interested and involve them in testing

GO FOR IT
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ted, you rock . Have I mentioned that I'm glad to see you posting again??

This is a GREAT story!!! Thanks for sharing!!! And I too look forward to seeing your creations in the basenotes directory .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Very cool post. I make my own perfume as well, it's always great when you get positive feed back like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done; you are in a great position to test market your creations here, and I would certainly continue to allow your guest to sample your frags...
    Current Favourites: Touaregh -Il Profumo/ Le Vainqueur- Rue Rance/ Versus Uomo -Versace/ Sculpture -Nikos/ Acier Aluminium - Creed/ Santal Noble - MPG

That is frggin AWESOME Indie. Keep it up, your passion and love for creating scents will eventually pay off .

PM me if you want to test market it.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Thanks for the kind words, all of you!

As I've said before, my passion in life is music. Unfortunately I'm tortured about it. I can write tunes all day, because the music component is abstract. But I don't like writing words anymore, because words can be too concrete and I feel too naked sometimes.

When I was a kid, I used to talk in gibberish a lot. When I would see a new face, something about the proportions or ratios of a person's features would somehow put untranslatable syllables on my lips. I was trying to say things for which there was no language. So i would say a lot of chicken-scratches and verbal scribbles and people would look at me weird. So I had to suppress it.

Even now, the stupor has set in so severely that I'm having trouble even writing this. It's why I haven't felt like posting so much. I've been kind of "hit and run" with postings. I'm sick of words.

Perfume is ultimately gibberish. Wonderful gibberish.

hey Indie ! i want both fragances ! update ur experience soon... sure we will have a happy end history haahah

congrats and go ahead.. !

Post Thanks / Like

Indie,

Nice to read a story or yours again.

Being a musician on the side (I'm an engineer by day), I think you are
    getting some of the same kinds of reactions to your fragrance creations
    that performing musicians get to a particularly good performance. When
    we create we hope that we make a connection with the listener. And
    often one will receive compliments. In fact, the gracious reception of a
    compliment is an integral part of performance, I think.

Evidently, that young woman appreciated your creation very much. There
    will be some who don't, and others who have no strong feeling about it
    either way. If you can get enough reactions like hers, I'd say go ahead
    and see if you can refine your nose and creative skill and try to sell some of
    your scents.

Now, if I could only get compliments from beautiful Russian redheads after
    my trumpet gigs.

Regards,
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: A Russian Woman, A French Man, and My Perfumes...

Very cool story. Made me happy to read it. Hope she e-mails you soon!

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.