Code of Conduct

Default the 10 most legendary perfume houses

what do you think?which are the most legendary perfume houses that were ever made ?we are talking about quality,name,package,difference here...no ads

Default Re: the 10 most legendary perfume houses

I don 't think I see 10 legendary perfume houses, 10 great yes but legendary or cult definitely not; my favorites:

Guerlain

Dior

Chanel

Shiseido / les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Blog Entries

Coty
    Jean Patou
    Guerlain
    Caron
    Lanvin
    Balmain
    Dana / Houbigant
    Crown Perfumery
    Chanel
    Lentheric
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Hermés
    Chanel
    Guerlain

These three are all I can think of (immediately) that I would consider 'Legendary' perfume houses.

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    Lentheric
    I don 't mean to be sarcastic (this is a discussion not a fight) but I never heard of Lentheric, I 'm skeptical about the validation of something so unheard of as "legendary"...??
    I mean make no mistakes, in my case I love love love Gobin Daude, her discontinued scents have reached cult status specially on ebay lol selling over $250 a bottle like hot buns but even that is not legendary.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin de Grasse View Post
    I don 't mean to be sarcastic (this is a discussion not a fight) but I never heard of Lentheric, I 'm skeptical about the validation of something so unheard of as "legendary"...??
    I mean make no mistakes, in my case I love love love Gobin Daude, her discontinued scents have reached cult status specially on ebay lol selling over $250 a bottle like hot buns but even that is not legendary.
    My dear Jasmin de Grasse, just because you have never heard of something does not invalidate its place on my list.

As antonio_montana19 posted:

Quote Originally Posted by antonio_montana19
    what do you think? which are the most legendary perfume houses that were ever made? we are talking about quality,name,package,difference here...no ads
    (emphasis is mine) He asked for a personal opinion and I shared mine. I don't know why you felt the need to make such a point about it. I would have hoped that it may have encouraged you to actually research the brand a little rather than dismissing it as not relevant because you do not know of it.

If you had looked you would have seen that there is actually a permanent link Lentheric / Mayfair on the front page, which I think may lead to the conclusion that many know of it and wish to know about it.

I conceed that Lentheric / Mayfair may not have the extensive history and gravitas of perfume houses such as Guerlain and Caron but it was one of the biggest perfumery houses during the 20th Century, especially prior to World War II.

The reason it has probably failed to register on your radar is due to the fact that many of it's best loved scents are now considered to be only suitable for 'old women' and too 'old fashioned' for many 'modern' tastes.

Some classic scents from the Lentheric / Mayfair stable include:

Pagan
    Tweed
    Panache
    Flair
    Tramp
    Just Musk
    Fleur
    Baroque

I have a few of these being a classic's lover myself. I happen to have a vintage gift set of Tweed, which comes in the most amazing plush chequered box upholstered in soft chocolate suedette and gold. A beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

Sadly, like Coty and Dana/Houbigant, Lentheric/Mayfair has gone the way of the cheap drugstore market but that does not eradicate or invalidate the worthiness of them being considered legendary - especially in their heyday.

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Nice thread! Personally, I think that some of the most influential, distinct and meaningful houses to the fragrance industry are:

Guerlain
    Annick Goutal
    Santa Maria Novella
    Chanel
    Serge Lutens
    Christian Dior

I do not necessarily enjoy all of their scented offerings, but they have certainly made a lasting impression on me.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

My dear Jasmin de Grasse, just because you have never heard of something does not invalidate its place on my list.

As antonio_montana19 posted:

(emphasis is mine) He asked for a personal opinion and I shared mine. I don't know why you felt the need to make such a point about it. I would have hoped that it may have encouraged you to actually research the brand a little rather than dismissing it as not relevant because you do not know of it.

If you had looked you would have seen that there is actually a permanent link Lentheric / Mayfair on the front page, which I think may lead to the conclusion that many know of it and wish to know about it.

I conceed that Lentheric / Mayfair may not have the extensive history and gravitas of perfume houses such as Guerlain and Caron but it was one of the biggest perfumery houses during the 20th Century, especially prior to World War II.

The reason it has probably failed to register on your radar is due to the fact that many of it's best loved scents are now considered to be only suitable for 'old women' and too 'old fashioned' for many 'modern' tastes.

Some classic scents from the Lentheric / Mayfair stable include:

Pagan
    Tweed
    Panache
    Flair
    Tramp
    Just Musk
    Fleur
    Baroque

I have a few of these being a classic's lover myself. I happen to have a vintage gift set of Tweed, which comes in the most amazing plush chequered box upholstered in soft chocolate suedette and gold. A beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

Sadly, like Coty and Dana/Houbigant, Lentheric/Mayfair has gone the way of the cheap drugstore market but that does not eradicate or invalidate the worthiness of them being considered legendary - especially in their heyday.

Would just like to say that as a young girl it was Lentheric, Coty & Dana fragrances that opened up the magical world of fragrance to myself & to many young people here in Australia.

Yes, they were sold in Chemists (drugstores) & were very reasonable in price . Yes, all of us have moved on to other fragrance houses except for when we want a trip down memory lane. But, what an amazing gift & legacy these mostly forgotten houses have left us with...they were the ones who ushered us through that magical doorway to paradise!!! Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva;1004913[FONT=Book Antiqua
    (emphasis is mine) I don't know why you felt the need to make such a point about it. I would have hoped that it may have encouraged you to actually research the brand a little rather than dismissing it as not relevant because you do not know of it. [/FONT]
    moondeva, only because as a reminder this is a discussion and fortunately we can debate things, and please don 't take it personal, I don 't know you, again it 's just about discussing passionately and opinions.

in my "world" legendary is a strong statement and I was not even sure Caron deserved that title. not just in terms of history prestige but also actual popularity, reputation, innovation, artistic creation and integrity is necessary make it as legendary. for such a legendary definition Guerlain surpasses all the other perfume houses to be quite honnest.
    They too still have their loads of great classics that are considered "old ladies" for the youngest average consumers but the truth is that Guerlain still sell Mitsouko, L 'Heure Bleue and Jicky and why? because Mitsouko is Mitsouko and l 'Heure Bleue is L 'Heure Bleue, a series of unique classics that defy fashions and trends which other perfume houses don 't have, at least to that extent.
    Last edited by Jasmin de Grasse; 30th March 2007 at 11:17 PM.

I happen to have a vintage gift set of Tweed, which comes in the most amazing plush chequered box upholstered in soft chocolate suedette and gold. A beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

My mother would *love* to see your vintage Tweed set. When I hear 'Tweed', I think of her - there were so many women of her time who wore this.
    Assessing legendary perfume houses is hard without 100 years of hind- and foresight, so we must select subjectively. I agree that unless you were of a prior generation you wouldn't understand how pervasive was the use of the fragrances of these widely loved, but sadly diminished, houses.
    In my mother's circle, Coty, Houbigant, and Lentheric were the common names, and the Carons, Guerlains and Chanels were reserved for special occasions, as they were very expensive. The former ones served an entire half century of women's needs when they went out to lunch, visited friends, had Tupperware parties, or just wanted to feel more feminine. To be honest, they were far more suitable and friendly for such things, too. So how do you rate the value of these perfume houses? I rate them highly, even if some are in the twilight of their influence.
    I tried a perfume nip of the, to me, unknown Lentheric Confetti, and it was a nice amber/woody oriental? - very Casablanca. I'd never even heard of it. What treasures there must be in those lost perfumes.

Caron
    Chanel
    Coty
    Creed
    Dior
    Estee Lauder
    Guerlain
    Houbigant
    Lentheric
    Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido (Serge Lutens)

Serge Lutens is barely a decade and a half old, while Frederic Malle is a relatively new house; they may have put out some good stuff, but more time is needed to see if they hold up well. I certainly wouldn't apply the "legendary" tag to them yet - its just too soon. They need to establish more history.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Serge Lutens is barely a decade and a half old, while Frederic Malle is a relatively new house; they may have put out some good stuff, but more time is needed to see if they hold up well. I certainly wouldn't apply the "legendary" tag to them yet - its just too soon. They need to establish more history.
    I agree with you, they would both qualify for living legends (specially Serge Lutens who has reached such cult status worldwide because he 's an exceptional man of culture who was recently honored in France and a visionnaire who brought new concepts to a tired perfume industry in the 90's with Shiseido) but not legendary (yet)
    Last edited by Jasmin de Grasse; 31st March 2007 at 12:35 AM.

Ahhh, Just Musk by Lentheric, this was one of MY first perfumes, I must have been 14 or 15 years old when I bought my first bottle - I can still remember the fragrance well. I was only wondering what happened to the half full bottle the other day. It was a lovely young, fresh smell. I wonder if it is still made? And when did Lentheric change to Mayfair? ( I have been out of touch with things for a while, but making a come back )

Guerlain,
    Chanel
    Lentheric
    Coty
    Auntdaisy2
    Azienta Tibetan Spaniels
    & Stoney Meadows Alpacas

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post

i agree with that way of thinking...

actually my question was wrong in terms of 10 legendary ...there are not 10..

i would say no more than 5..

and creed is def one of them

I am also surprised creeds not making this list. It been around longer than most and its history is among the richest.

Caron, Creed and Guerlain.

(if Coty still existed in the same way as the ones I mentioned, I would have included it)
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

IMO, legendary perfume houses are those that have a long history and are known world-wide. Therefore, I'll go with:
    Caron
    Guerlain
    Penhaligon's
    Creed
    Patou
    Chanel
    I just can't come up with ten of them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Legends are more than great houses that still produce, but include those that evoke wonderful memories, be they memories of what you wore, what someone else wore beautifully (family member, celeb, whatever)

So I would list :
    Coty (Chypre is a legend, practically a mythical creature, as is La Rose Jacqueminot, and early L'origan, L'Aimant and even Emeraude)

Lanvin (Not because of current Arpege, but vintage version as well as My Sin, Scandal)

Caron

Guerlain

Chanel (Madame herself qualifies for a host of reasons: her style, her talent the drama of her life and even if "every woman alive" does not love Chanel #5, they've certainly heard of it and can conjure up visions of Coco or of Marilyn Monroe)

Lentheric: Not much to it now, but Tweed and others like Confetti, Dark Brilliance, and A Bientot, were associated with the chic midcentury woman.

Dior

Patou

Penhaligon

#10...there are so many I'd like to put here from my own experience and nostalgia, but I'd rather not look to silly or mawkishly sentimental.

As for Serge and Frederic, I'm adopting a wait and see attitude. They are beautiful, but will they survive and become iconic. Part of what "what becomes a legend most", to borrow from an old ad campaign is marketing and a broad base of customers to build up memories that will last a lifetime. In perfume circles, they are legends already, but to a general population? On ne sais jamais.

Thumbs up Re: the 10 most legendary perfume houses

Don't forget Givenchy!!!!!
    Chanel
    Guerlain
    Dior
    Estee Lauder
    Creed

Guerlain
    Chanel
    Dior
    Givenchy - not my fav house of perfumes on my skin, but others are great in Givenchy-perfumes.
    Yves Saint Laurent - just for Rive Gauche during the 70´s
    Laura Biagotti - I have loved Roma, Venezia, Venezia Pastello, Sotto Voce and Tempore Donna
    Lancôme - just for Tresor, who spellbounded me for severale years during the 90`s.

Well, I came to seven houses, not bad, IMO.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.