Code of Conduct

Default serge lutens bell jar question

ok, so i know this is probably a stupid question, but how do you apply the perfume from a sl bell jar. do you dab it on or does it come with a spray top, like the 50 ml bottles?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: serge lutens bell jar question

There are no spray tops I know of for these bell jars. It might be wise to decant some into a spray atomizer. Otherwise, you must use the applicator and dab it on, remembering to close the jar as soon as possible to prevent unnecessary oxidation.

I have heard that applying fragrance directly from the bottle is bad for the scent because one's skin oils, etc. interact with the perfume and cause... bad stuff.

Have heard the best way to apply from the bell jar is either to decant into a smaller spray atomizer (I've done this with my two SL bell jar frags with nice results and improved sillage! Although my hands end up smelling particularly gorgeous for a few hours post-decanting), or by dipping a cotton swab/q-tip into the scent and roll the wet cotton on your skin -- one time per swab tip, so as not to transfer your skin oils from swab directly into the bottle!

Hope this helps!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

thanks - i'm sure this is covered elsewhere, but what do you use to do the decanting so that it doesn't spill all over the place. also, is it more economical to buy a bell jar vs. just buying the smaller bottles more often?

Blog Entries

I have read this cotton dipping idea before. At $170 a bottle I can't imagine wasting it like like that. I like to decant into a small glass atomiser to carry. The smallest plastic straws you can get in coffee shops work great as pipettes. Just dip it in, hold your finger tight on the top, transfer and release into the atomiser by lifting your finger.VOILA!

My Bell jars of Fumerie each came with a pipette. I pipe them into a small glass roll on bottle, and I can get 10 wearings out of the amount, so there is not much skin that is going to get into the bottle.

Sam

Blog Entries

Well, I'm miffed. I didn't get an official pipette in my Bois Oriental. (The only 1 I own). I want to add, there was another thread about this touching skin, etc. I'm no scientist, but it seems to me, the alcohol that is the medium here is self sterilizing. If any microscopic cells get in, it only personalizes the bottle, kind of like a mascara or lipstick. If it should be spoiled, I would think light /heat would be the key factors. A few skin cells would form sediment and be rendered inert, it seems to me. Maybe in 40-50 years it may alter the juice but I won't be around to care. (wah!)

I decant all of them into a spray glass atomizer using 18G 1 1/2'' needles