Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Bel Respiro - one of the Chanel Les Exclusifs

It's been like a month now, I think, since Chanel released those 6 exclusive scents that had everyone all a-twitter, so I finally got myself down to the local Chanel boutique and sniffed them.

When I walked in the Chanel boutique I couldn't find them, because when I walked to the fragrance section I didn't see them. A nice SA (her name was Yoko, and she had an extremely strong Asian accent) asked if she could help me and directed me over the Les Exclusifs 'area' - a mirrored backlit mini booth, with all 6 scents plus all 4 re-issues and all 10 of them lit in all of their 200 ml glory - with stark flourescent lighting... like jewels or expensive electronics.

I suddenly felt very underdressed.

There was NO way I was sniffing 10 scents (I didn't even see any coffee beans around...I resorted to sniffing the sleeve of my polo shirt to refresh my nose) but I sniffed about 6. Most of them are very feminine IMO (and I wear women's scents proudly), but a few stood out and those that did, I splashed on my wrist, including:

Coromandel: nice but honestly I was underwhelmed

Eau de Cologne: really refreshing scent, however I think it lasted 5 minutes on my skin and it was GONE (Bath and Body works splashes have lasted longer on me...WTF?)

Bel Respiro: this is the one that GRABBED ME. Grassy, green and verdant that lasted for atleast a couple of hours on my skin and dried down to a fairly unisex light clean finish, reminiscent of...White Linen but not in a bad frilly girly way, just that crisp almost starchy floral way.

Yoko let me have a Bel Respiro 'mini' (I was told they only give one sample per person). I plan on giving it a good full wearing, in the Spring season.

Anybody else like to comment on their Les Exclusif 'experiences' - I have not read of much about these on the Mens Discussion threads?

p.s. - all of the scents come in 200 ml bottles except the Eau de Cologne which also comes in a LARGER size bottle, about the size of a small newborn child

Thumbs down Re: Bel Respiro - one of the Chanel Les Exclusifs

I've tried them all & I can't find what is so exclusive about them?
    I'm so disapppointed with these, I had great expectation on Polge!!
    they don't have that strong CHARISMA as in Hermessence, Armani Prive' or Dior Homme trio.
    they doesn't last long enough, so it is a waste of money.

& as for the unisex one ''Çologne'', the new ''Allure Sport Cologne'' has a stronger character , lasts longer & cheaper.

I quite like No.18, it has an intresting medical opening, but it fades in a second

Default Re: Bel Respiro - one of the Chanel Les Exclusifs

Anybody else smelled Les exclusifs?
    It's very interesting to here your opinions about them
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Wink Re: Bel Respiro - one of the Chanel Les Exclusifs

I also found them a bit underwhelming. IMHO Jacques Polge was given an impossible task by the Werthheimers in trying to create something new with an old attitude.
    My old EdT of Cuir de Russie from the mid-90's was more distinct and authentic feeling than the new one.
    However, I find the over-sized bottles very cool. Chanel on steriods!

The Exclusifs are understatement in a bottle IMHO (with the exception of Coromandel): very refined, classy and with some kind of cool chic, but very subtle in terms of sillage. I have to admit that at first I was a bit disappointed, too, but after some further trials I developed a certain addiction for them.

Bel Respiro and No 28 La Pausa are perfect for summer; no big sillage and lasting very close to my skin for a few hours - but only if applied generously (maybe that's why they filled it in that huge bottles...) Both smell very natural and evoke an atmosphere of green, wide open spaces and breezes of fresh air. BR is grassy-green with a slightly bitter touch, while No 28 is darker with an earthy drydown. The powdery, dry iris sadly disappears after a couple of minutes. Both seem totally unisex to me, just as No 18 and Coromandel:

No 18 starts with a sharp, boozy note (Gin Tonic?) that keeps lingering around on all stages of this scent's development. The big dose of Ambrette seeds makes 18 vivid and sparkling, but that note isn't everybody's cup of tea, as it also has a certain sourness and some find it smelling like pickles.

Coromandel is the most opulent of the Exclusifs, with ample sillage and remarkable longevity. Coromandel is all about Patchouli, Amber and Vanilla. The bittersweet earthiness of Patchouli is masterly softened by the vanilla note, but it never gets too sweet.

I don't care much about the Eau de Cologne, which is too sweet for my taste and the most fleeting out of the Exclusifs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    The Exclusifs are understatement in a bottle IMHO (with the exception of Coromandel): very refined, classy and with some kind of cool chic, but very subtle in terms of sillage. I have to admit that at first I was a bit disappointed, too, but after some further trials I developed a certain addiction for them.

Bel Respiro and No 28 La Pausa are perfect for summer; no big sillage and lasting very close to my skin for a few hours - but only if applied generously (maybe that's why they filled it in that huge bottles...) Both smell very natural and evoke an atmosphere of green, wide open spaces and breezes of fresh air. BR is grassy-green with a slightly bitter touch, while No 28 is darker with an earthy drydown. The powdery, dry iris sadly disappears after a couple of minutes. Both seem totally unisex to me, just as No 18 and Coromandel:

No 18 starts with a sharp, boozy note (Gin Tonic?) that keeps lingering around on all stages of this scent's development. The big dose of Ambrette seeds makes 18 vivid and sparkling, but that note isn't everybody's cup of tea, as it also has a certain sourness and some find it smelling like pickles.

Coromandel is the most opulent of the Exclusifs, with ample sillage and remarkable longevity. Coromandel is all about Patchouli, Amber and Vanilla. The bittersweet earthiness of Patchouli is masterly softened by the vanilla note, but it never gets too sweet.

I don't care much about the Eau de Cologne, which is too sweet for my taste and the most fleeting out of the Exclusifs.
    Is coromandel suitable for a man? or does it smell very feminine?
    Last edited by DreamerII; 6th April 2007 at 01:50 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Basenotes Institution

Coromandel is definitely a 'light' amber scent (Ambre Sultan it aint!) - I would say it leans towards the more 'feminine' side of a unisex scent. If that makes sense.

If you like Dior Homme, MPG Ambre Precieux and Gaultier Le Male (all marketed towards man), then for sure you can wear Coromandel. But as always, it's a matter of individual taste and skin chemistry - many men wear Jicky, Musc Ravageur and Bois des Iles without risking to appear effeminate, so Coromandel at least may be worth a try.

I was given a sample of Eau de Cologne. I like it very much, but it
    doesn't last long at all. I could see myself wearing it regularly in summer,
    but I already have Acqua di Parma Colonia, which is a fantastic citus.
    I think I'll hold off on these Les Exclusifs.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 6th April 2007 at 06:31 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I think Eau de Cologne by Chanel lasted...oh, fifteen minutes on my skin and then it was GONE.

Perhaps you're supposed to bathe in a tub full of it?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I think Eau de Cologne by Chanel lasted...oh, fifteen minutes on my skin and then it was GONE.

Perhaps you're supposed to bathe in a tub full of it?

That's the reason why they offer that one also in 400 ml

Unhappy Re: Bel Respiro - one of the Chanel Les Exclusifs

I tried all of them and the only ones that "worked on me" where:

Coromandel: I liked it but it smelled EXACTLY like Prada for women (but didn't last as long!)

Cuir de Russie: Loved the scent but felt a tad watery and disspaeared in 15 minutes.

Cologne: Very fresh and clean but poof! gone in 5 minutes!

I would try these again if the made an Eau de Parfum. Hopefully in the near future?

I ordered 2.5 ml decants of all 6 for my wife to try back in mid-February. No. 18 was the one that worked well with her. Bought the full bottle. I loved Rue 31 but didn't even last 20 minutes on her. Coromandel to my surprise smelled wonderful on both of us. I ordered a 15 ml decant from a different scource so we each could spend some more time with it to decide if we wanted a full bottle. Second sample didn't smell remotely like the first. Decided to not purchase because I didn't know which one I would get. Last week my wife and I went to Las Vegas and decided to visit Chanel in the Bellagio. Coromandel smelled exactly like the first decant I tried. Coromandel smells great on my wife, but the female sales person thought it even smelled better on me. Bought a bottle to share. I love Coromandel. Of course had to get a bottle of Egoiste while I was there.

JUST RECEIVED COROMANDEL. IT'S NOT SAME AS I SAMPLED IN VEGAS .MY BOTTLE WAS SENT FROM FLORIDA. I'M SENDING BACK. MAJOR QUALITY CONTROL WITH THIS ONE. MAKE SURE YOU SAMPLE FROM THE BOTTLE YOUR BUYING BEFORE YOU TAKE HOME. I'M REQUESTING A REPLACEMENT FROM A DIFFERENT LOCATION. I'LL REPORT BACK.
    Last edited by thebeck; 12th April 2007 at 12:25 AM. Reason: received coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    Anybody else smelled Les exclusifs?
    It's very interesting to here your opinions about them
    Yes! Bel Respiro and n.18! I have purchased on ebay two sample.
    Me and' difficult to describe them but if I had to purchase one of the two I would decidedly choose surely Bel Respiro, more "floral" and less binding to wear...

mr.setter
    http://basenotes.net/wardrobe/8905

"Il profumo dei fiori non puo' andare controvento, ma il profumo delle buone azioni compiute da uomini virtuosi si effonde in tutte le direzioni."[Dhammapada]