Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Djedi - A True Fragrance Discovery

Djedi is a major discovery, like an archeological dig unearthing a Pharoah's tomb. I can see why bottles of this are selling for $500 and $1,000 on Ebay. There is nothing else like it.

I'm not going to tell you that it is beautiful. It is arresting. It is stunning. It is majestic. But it is not pretty. If you find "challenging" fragrances unpleasant, don't go near this one with a ten-foot pole. If you yearn for a true fragrance experience, you will be amply rewarded. Djedi leaves all the the others behind in the dust as far as the Goth factor goes.

In comparison, Voleur de Rose seems natural, like garden soil and dead-headed roses. Messe de Minuit seems familiar, like a poor, old church. Vol de Nuit seems dry and austere but pretty. L'Heure Bleu is a bit melancholy like a lonely old schoolteacher. And Mitsouko is downright tasty, all things being relative.

So, what does Djedi smell like? Why is it so compelling and sought-after? I must return to my archeological dig metaphor.

Phase One: The top note smells like dirt. It is probably vetiver and/or orris root, but it is very earthy, like shovelfulls of dense clay, full of minerals. One can imagine the door to the Pharoah's tomb opening and being surrounded by air that is thousands of years old, so--extremely--dry, not one hint of sweetness or life, only stillhess, silence, and an oppressive feeling.

Phase Two: Now comes my favorite part. It is brief, so look for it quickly. Oakmoss, some spices, a few faint florals and--powder. There it is! The Guerlain signature scent. Yes, this is a perfume--proud, dignified, and astounding. Ancient, dry, austere, and forbidding, Djedi is still meant to be worn.

Phase Three: Then it lapses into its final, lengthy phase, as captivating as the first two but long-lasting. A growing mustiness overtakes all other notes. It is heavy, sad, and decidedly animalic. It is bitter, strangely herbal, old leathery, and full of civit at it very strongest. I know people who discern civit best in the opening notes of a fragrance, not as it has been listed as a base note. I can understand why. Although civit is persistent (we all have our cat stories to prove it) it can quickly be blended into heavy florals and spices. In Djedi, there is no such coverup occurring. At this point, it smells like a big, old, haunted house, an underground tomb, some dark, dank place of great tragedy.
    How do they make this perfume? Incredible.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Djedi - A True Fragrance Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    ...dirt...clay...minerals...Guerlain signature scent...growing mustiness overtakes all other notes. It is heavy, sad, and decidedly animalic....a big, old, haunted house, an underground tomb, some dark, dank place of great tragedy.

You have me making primitive animal sounds.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Dammit, I wish Guerlain would reissue this one. **wishes upon a star**

Blog Entries

Is it 'real' civit do you think?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

POL gals are talking about Djedi, too. Of course, not with anywhere near the descriptive vocab of our hued bird!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Purplebird, you are a dangerous woman.

I think this is the most enchanting review of Djedi I have ever read. Not even Roja Dove could improve this.
    And you are the cause of a terrible dilemma: I remember the scent of the last drops of my Djedi sample and now I am here with an unopened bottle.

Staring at it and too afraid to open it. Afraid that the memory is better than the extrait I hold now.

I think I will print your words and maybe I will feel brave enough to finally open the bottle.

Will it be heaven or hell?
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

My goodness, Purplebird, that was extraordinary! What an awesome adventure. Loved receiving the postcard back here at home.

I would never believed how a perfume can transport you to the level of an experience before I tried Opone, but I now know it can happen.

You've added another travel destination to my list. But it is shockingly expensive for a sample.
    Last edited by flathorn; 1st April 2007 at 04:02 PM.

Wonderful review!

Here's another scent to add to my list of "must smell".
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Djedi was reissued in 1996. My thanks go to Twolf for getting ahold of a bottle then, and giving me the last, precious drops of it.

Here's my offer: I would like to pass it around.
    mharvey816
    Quarry
    Riannon
    flathorn
    dimples

You people, PM me your addresses, I will make a list. Then I will put the vial in the mail to the first person. Use a small dab or two, cross your name off, and send it on.

Really, this is too fabulous to miss. And Riannon, you can smell it before you open the bottle. At the going price, it is almost an investment.

Really? **fans self** That is just so amazingly generous of you. PMing you now!

.... Use a small dab or two, cross your name off, and send it on......
    Me too! Me too! Please.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Oh my gosh Purplebird. You are truly generous!!!!

Also, we should all write a review after sniffing this one. I must power up my nose, dig up my thesaurus and post a review worthy of this fragrance.

PM sent.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Fanning the flames: Here's a link to Columbina's review of Djedi from almost exactly one year ago.

Sorry to disappoint you all, guys, but I have never had a bottle. This same little sample as received from one wonderful Basenoter is ALL we are all swooning over. I tried it, I passed it to someone else, because everybody should have a first hand (nose) experience of what it is, just for reference purposes and to know what the fragrances should be like.
    Last edited by Twolf; 2nd April 2007 at 12:30 AM.

Djedi was reissued in 1996. My thanks go to Twolf for getting ahold of a bottle then, and giving me the last, precious drops of it.

Here's my offer: I would like to pass it around.
    mharvey816
    Quarry
    Riannon
    flathorn
    dimples

You people, PM me your addresses, I will make a list. Then I will put the vial in the mail to the first person. Use a small dab or two, cross your name off, and send it on.

Really, this is too fabulous to miss. And Riannon, you can smell it before you open the bottle. At the going price, it is almost an investment.
    Beautiful Bird, generosity unsurpassed. A kind offer and I will let it pass.
    I have smelled it before, I have a bottle. I could not live with myself trying your sample just to assure myself I made a right decision.
    Others have never smelled it. Let them be the ones to grasp this opportunity.

Maybe there will come a day when I will overcome my fears. And yet, maybe the dream will be too precious for me too disturb.

When I ever open the bottle, I will go back to this thread. Remembering the ones who longed to dream as well.

Update: I have sent you a long, long mail with the complete explanation.
    Last edited by Riannon; 2nd April 2007 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Updating

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you all, guys, but I have never had a bottle. This same little sample as received from one wonderful Basenoter is ALL we are all swooning over. I tried it, I passed it to someone else, because everybody should have a first hand (nose) experience of what it is, just for reference purposes and to know what the fragrances should be like.
    See? We all owe Twolf the thank-you, and before her, another Basenoter.
    (This community ROCKS!)
    I simply cannot own this sample. It has wings; it wants to travel.
    This is far too important of a perfume to keep to myself.
    "...Nor does anyone after lighting a lamp put it under a bushel basket, but on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house."

Purplebird, heartfelt thanks - reviews like that bring out the lemming in all us.
    A question - is this one better to try in the evening, rather than morning? A rainy day as opposed to a sunny one? It seems both an evening and a cool day scent. I do want to maximize the experience.

Blog Entries

I want to note my experience before I forget. The first thing that strike me is a familiarity. Annoying because it's hard to pin down. There is a definite similarity to Messe di Minuit but after the initial vetiver mellows, the heart is cinnamon, labdanum and myhrr. I pull out a few others that are ringing memory bells; Hermescense--Vetiver & Tonka, Bond--Chinatown (too sweet but cinammon & tonka are so familiar) and Heeley-Cardinal. The Messe di Minuit is closest but the incense is much softer in Djedi. It creeps up rather than bursts into smoke and flame. At the heart is this gentle musty cinnamon which I think might be combined with labdanum. It has an other worldly edible--almost yeasty aspect that makes me think of fresh cinnamon buns (drips partly burned in the bottom of the oven). It's not at all sugary though, dusty as though served in a farmhouse kitchen on an ancient hewn oak table with the sun shining through hand-made glass.There would have to be an iron stove with a wood fire. No wonder those buns are nearly burned!

Thumbs up Re: Djedi - A True Fragrance Discovery

I just want to compliment you on your excellent review.

I'm glad you enjoyed my review. Otherwise... If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Kumquat, I believe you have once again positively identified the elusive notes. Your bloodhound nose is on the right track with Messe de Minuit and cinnamon.
    I smell it, too.
    I have to go out and find some "mastica" powder, which is resin from a tree related to pistachios, and also musty. I will let you match up that aroma to your enormous library of mental reference files.

flathorn - As far as when to try it? I would recommend a humid night at dusk.

Blog Entries

On further exploration in the 'olefactory' I realized the same notes are closest in Guerlain; Sous le Vent. This is a re-release limited edition avaiable only in the Paris Salon. I have a decant. Its listed notes are: lavender, taragon, basilic, citrus, carnation, oakmoss, iris, woods & patchouli. It is very much the same note at the heart of Djedi exept for the soft dusty incense. I tried layering it with a touch of CDG Kyoto nearby and it wafted pretty effectively, just not the subtlety of the original of course.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

DJEDI TRACKING:
    The evocative juice has arrived in Wisconsin. I anticipate focusing my full attention on it tomorrow so I can still participate in floral SnS Saturday. Just from sniffing the vial, I'm really looking forward to the experience. Thanks, Purplebird.

You're very welcome.
    And I look forward to your review, Quarry.

Thanks kumquat for displaying your aptitude for analysis that is unrivaled by Sherlock Holmes.

The Sous le Vent reissue is also available at the San Francisco Neiman Marcus Guerlain counter, or at least it was a month ago when I bought a bottle. Divine!

Now I will have to counter-sniff the two when my turn comes in the list to see if this comparison is true for me.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Djedi--

First off, when I sniffed the vial yesterday, imagining the wearing to come, I got a rush of minerals that made me think I had put my tongue to our basement wall of sedimentary limestone, glacier-rolled fieldstone and the leachate of a hundred years. The cool scent I'm attributing to aldehydes and vetiver came to me on the inhale and morphed into a warm wood scent just before I exhaled, when the vapors had been warmed for an instant in my nose. [Our cellar wall and some deep, dark wine aging in glass carboys.]
    Attachment 132
    This morning I showered and scrubbed my arm with vigor, applied only a little moisturizer to my face, in order to be fragrance free, and waited for all household activities to subside.

"What does it smell like?" Mr. Q asked as I sat ceremonious at the table. I offered up the open ziplock bag laden with rich, Djedi basenotes. "Smells like a diaper, doesn't it?" he ventured to say.

(I didn't hurt him.)

Then, at 8:05 a.m., I put a shimmer of Djedi on my left arm, just above the wrist. And the ride began. This is a beautiful perfume. I guess there's a rose here, but it's been cross-bred with something dark--not dark as in depressing (that was my take on Caron's Or et Noir), but dark like coal. I sort of see my mother's leather purse, warmed by the sun, supple and radiating something elegant due to the presence of a perfume sample she must have gotten from the Sunday paper and tucked inside her purse. This pleasurable moment is reminiscent of Dzing! ... I run to my bottle of Dzing! Oh, my gosh, kids, other than Dzing! being much sweeter, there's a real similarity.

I'll enclose a sample of Dzing! when I send this on so the rest of you can tell me if I'm completely crackers!

Okay, I'm exactly one hour in, and I'm getting all nice and musty now.
    Last edited by Quarry; 7th March 2008 at 01:44 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

-----------
    I've mailed the Djedi and Dzing! to Dimples. (That sentence looks like one of those keyboard exercises I remember from seventh-grade typing class.)

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    -----------
    I've mailed the Djedi and Dzing! to Dimples. (That sentence looks like one of those keyboard exercises I remember from seventh-grade typing class.)
    This is a great idea ! It's like the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, except it smells fabulous!

I'm glad you liked it. I like it a lot too.

BTW, Guerlain is issuing this April 28 the once-a-year-for-one-day-only-and-Paris-exclusive release of Muguet (2007 edition of course) , if someone is in Paris by that time, be sure to get it! and to spend some 200 Euros for a small bottle.

Formula remains the same. Only the bottle/presentation is different.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

UPDATE:
    Five hours in, and the mustiness is gone. I'm surprised. There's a sweet base left--woody, maybe cinnamon-like. If this is the patchouli, it's mildly tempered.

I had put a single drop of Dzing! on the other wrist for comparison. It's more potent, and clearly has what I call a sweet Magic Marker accord, but I'm still finding a bit of similarity.

-----------
    DJEDI TRACKING

Hi Quarry,
    Still anxiously awaiting the Djedi. It sounds like you had a lovely trip with it. Easter Monday was a postal holiday for us, so I should be receiving it early next week. Will keep you posted.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I'm glad you liked it. I like it a lot too.

BTW, Guerlain is issuing this April 28 the once-a-year-for-one-day-only-and-Paris-exclusive release of Muguet (2007 edition of course) , if someone is in Paris by that time, be sure to get it! and to spend some 200 Euros for a small bottle.

Formula remains the same. Only the bottle/presentation is different.
    Hi Castorpollux,

Have you sniffed this one? I'm so excited as I heard last month, that they are offering some bottles up for sale at my Guerlain boutique on that same day. I'm on their list to their event and I can hardly wait. It will cost me approximately $300CDN (approx. $250US), which is what they charge for 1oz of L'Heure Bleue parfum. Is it worth it? Should I purchase a bottle? I don't have too much time to decide as I heard if I want one, I have to snatch it up quick. Luckily the store manager and I are on really good terms and if I really want a bottle, she'll do her best to get me one, but I have to buy it on that day.

OK, I'll bite... does anyone want to share some of this. PM me.
    Last edited by dimples; 14th April 2007 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Those basement walls, Quarry.
    Yes.
    How do they get aroma that into a bottle?
    Intellectually, one knows that minerals cannot be bottled for the purpose of emitting an odor.
    Or can they?
    I once got into an arguement about this concerning Messe de Minuit.
    No, no, no, I said. It has to be real-life ingredients. Cinnamon, incense, civit.
    But now, I'm not so sure. Maybe they just scrape the walls...

DJEDI TRACKING:

The package just crossed the border up north and into my waiting :wave::wave: arms. I just received the Djedi and it's sister-in-scent Dzing! This is better than Christmas. I'm holding it reverently, just thinking... hmmm.... how do I best sample these two? I'll have to wait till morning, as my bewitching hour is fast approaching (my snozzle doesn't work very well past 9pm -- this happens almost every night).

I can smell it through the packaging, though, it's very earthy and musty. Very exciting indeed. I'll keep you posted.

Dimples,
    I think Muguet by Guerlain is one of the must-haves when it comes to lily of the valley "soliflores". It's a fantastic scent that as opposed as the sweeter ambery sunny Diorisimo (wich i love and it's another lily of the valley must-have) , Muguet is more of a greener one, spring in a bottle if you will, that when you smell it you get the morning dew, the cool air, the soft green leaves and in a strange way, it's delicate but also strong, almost "constant".
    It's a transparent scent but dense, like a -i think- cool icy glass that you can see right through it and it's shaded in a soft green delicate hue.
    So do i think it's bottle worthy? Sure it is!

and please tell us more about you djedi tracking, i'm counting the minutes too!
    Last edited by castorpollux; 29th April 2007 at 01:42 AM.

Hey fellow fragrance lovers.

I've started on the Djedi journey. About an hour ago, I dabbed the Djedi on my left wrist and the Dzing! on my right wrist. I did the same to my eighteen year old son, hoping to see how our individual chemistries react to this scent. Oh, the hazards of living with frag-a-holic -- the trials and tribulations that he has to put up with -- but that's another story!

Initial notes:

The opening smells very familiar, very true to a guerlain. The smell is similar to another fragrance that I cannot quite put my finger on. I smell the vetiver, some rose, and some spices in the initial blast. It's not a sweet scent, as noted before, but a really warm scent. It's not dark but not bright either, quite elegant and understated. Of course the initial blast smells the same on both my son and I.

After about 30 minutes:

I simply cannot stop sniffing my wrists. The beauty of the guerlain is in the evolution of the scent and this one is no exception. I detect the the strong leather notes now, but they are not animalistic, but rather understated. I can make out a light floral but it does not compete and it works very well with the leather. I do not smell the incense though and it does not remind me of bare basement. To me, this scent reminds me of Chanel Cuir de Russie, but somehow crossed with a Guerlain? Wow, can you imagine that?

My son does not wear it as well as I do. On him, the leather is not as pronounced. I do detect musk and I smell the mustyness, still no incense.

Quarry, I do hear you, wrt to Dzing!, they somehow do share some notes in common, especially in the opening. The Dzing! is more sharp, less spicy. Alas the Dzing! did not last on me.

Will report back after a couple of hours.

After a couple of hours:

My precious, my precious.... I cannot stop sniffing my wrists, my kids were asking what the heck I was doing? After my last report, I sprayed Chanel Cuir de Russie on the inside of my elbow, just to try to get some comparisons going. There are many similar notes in common. The CdR is brighter, more sparkling than the Djedi, even after the drydown, but the leather scent is very much the same. Djedi is much smoother, gentler, more soft than CdR, less leather in your face, if you will.

At this time, I'm noticing the musk, again a rather understated musk, not sexy, nor even sensual -- it just, simply, exists. There is a very, very, very light powder as well and the floral has long flown away. This fragrance reminds me of dusk, turning into night with a huge luminous full moon in the horizon, with enough light to make my surroundings almost bright. It certainly is not dank, nor is it gloomy. It reminds me of the colour deep indigo.

OK, sniffed my son again, the poor boy, he says it's an odd feeling to have him mum sniff deeply into his wrists.... luckily he's old enough not to be marked for life by this! Djedi now smells almost the same on him as it does on me, but with more leather and less musk. We must share similar chemistry. Dzing! smells like vanilla on him now -- very different from the Djedi.

Truly, this is an exceptional, elegant, remarkable fragrance and it works very well with my chemistry, *sigh*. Simply marvelous.

I'll be moving it along tomorrow morning to mHarvey, along with a sample of Chanel CdR. Wish I could keep it for longer... my precious.

Thank you purplebird7, for giving me the opportunity to enjoy this. I am blessed.
    Last edited by dimples; 18th April 2007 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Reporting back after two hours

Hooray, hooray, I'm next! Best news I've heard all week!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    My precious, my precious.... I cannot stop sniffing my wrists, my kids were asking what the heck I was doing? ... sniffed my son again, the poor boy, he says it's an odd feeling to have him mum sniff deeply into his wrists.
    It really is just lovely stuff and made more precious by its scarcity. (It's like a few of us are sharing a canteen in the desert.)

How terrific you've got back-up wrists to turn to, too. Does your son have any idea how special his experience was? Of course, he doesn't have anyone to share this with as you do with us here in this forum. His friends associate Jedi with Star Wars.

It really is just lovely stuff and made more precious by its scarcity. (It's like a few of us are sharing a canteen in the desert.)

How terrific you've got back-up wrists to turn to, too. Does your son have any idea how special his experience was? Of course, he doesn't have anyone to share this with as you do with us here in this forum. His friends associate Jedi with Star Wars.
    LOL Quarry, yeah, some of these young men just don't get it.

My son is quite naive when it comes to appreciating fragrances, everything smells just nice to him. It's good that he humours his mum, he'll make a good BF and spouse one day. But I do know that over in the men's forum, there are some guys his age that do get it, so there's hope for dimples-junior yet. Ooops, hope he doesn't read this forum.

That is totally fascinating, dimples!
    I just love the way people smell things differently, and the way things smell differently on people.

I cannot understand how forum members get bent out of shape when one person says a fragrance is great, then another person says it's horrible, and the first person becomes angry because he thinks the second person is debunking his opinion.
    The cool thing about art is that everyone sees it differently.
    One person loves it, another person hates it.

To me, it was musty.
    Ha!
    Oh, boy, keep that little vial going.

And remember, ladies, write your reviews to the database on the Directory. I was the first person to review Djedi! There were no other reviews at that time, dispite the fact that everyone knew about this fragrance long ago.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 19th April 2007 at 01:01 PM.

Just checked the list and I am next after MHarvey!! :bounce: You guys have got me all worked up!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

And remember, ladies, write your reviews to the database on the Directory.
    Good thing you reminded us.

I'm looking at your taillights now cuz you passed me on the "100 most prolific reviewers list." <seen here> Of course, not only have you logged more miles/vials, but you did so with the creativity of automotive metaphors and superior styling.

Good thing you reminded us.

I'm looking at your taillights now cuz you passed me on the "100 most prolific reviewers list." <seen here> Of course, not only have you logged more miles/vials, but you did so with the creativity of automotive metaphors and superior styling.
    I copied my review in there yesterday, but because I'm not a supporter (yet!), it's not posted for all to see. It may be a few weeks before it appears.

Yay, hooray, the package arrived today! Thanks to Dimples for sending it along and getting it successfully past those nasty confiscating customs people. :P

Thanks to purplebird for the Djedi, Quarry for the Dzing! and Dimples for the CdR EDT. I am looking forward to a full sniff and swoon session with all 3 tomorrow, along with some counter-sniffing of my own Sous le Vent to see if there's a common note there. I will also be including a sample of Sous le Vent in the package when I send it off to TaoLady towards the end of this week.

I can't wait to smell it all! This will be amazing.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

We're all ears, mharvey816.

Finally, an opportunity to try out all these wonderful scents on clean unscented skin, with DH and DS safely out of the house.

Djedi on the left wrist. I am instantly transported...to my grandma's house, at least 35 years ago. I can see all the old furniture she had piled on her screened-in back porch. I can almost touch the individual pieces in her huge collection of salt&pepper shakers. I can see my dad sitting at the kitchen table, eating a big plate of rhubarb, fresh from the back yard garden. These are things I haven't had in my mind for years and years, and thanks to Djedi, they are front and center. I think it's the musty smell that purplebird mentioned before, but it's not a repulsive mustiness -- just a familiar one.

Dzing! on the right wrist. Warm, spicy, enveloping -- this is my grandma's house at Christmas time, with the potpourri smell floating in the air, the oven working overtime in the kitchen and the decorated pine tree in the corner. It's an earlier time than what Djedi evokes, but it's the same location in my memory.

CdR on the right arm. Mmmmm, leather. I'm not smelling leather in the other two, but I always love sniffing CdR. It's almost like sherbet after two similar courses, as it's not similar enough to me, but doesn't clash with them either.

And finally, Sous le Vent on the left arm. Ah, here is Djedi's younger sister. I'm right back to my grandma's back porch, except it's now at a a time before I was actually there, the way I envision it was when my dad was still a kid himself and the porch was more than just the out-of-the-way storage place for unwanted items. I can see him playing in the back yard and my grandma sitting on the porch davenport, reading her beloved trashy romance novels.

The package will be going out to TaoLady in tomorrow's mail. I've included a sample of Sous le Vent in the package (the only vial that isn't labeled with the scent name). I hope it works as well for you as it has for me.

This was just as wonderful an experience at the end of a long week that I had hoped it would be. Thanks to everyone who made it happen. You all are the best!

Fragrant Package from MHarvey arrived today smelling most heavenly. Frags encased in a dental floss case with a Happiness sticker on! Such fun!! :bounce: Am wild to sample - and me in the middle of a Neil Morris week!!

Never mind - today's NM has faded. and I have scrubbed and applied a few drops of Djedi (sample's running low and has two more stops still to make!!) and am transported - but so differently to MHarvey! (Aren't juices wonderful! So evocative in so many different ways!!)

To me this classy scent is all silks and jewels and dinner by candlelight and then off to the theatre in the Rolls. Delicately floral with a powdery musk underneath (as has been said elsewhere - the satin interior of Mother's beaded evening bag in which nested her enameled powder compact and - yes - cigarette case!) - tres raffinee!

Gonna try a couple of the others later on when I've recovered and will report tomorrow. Love the idea of each experimenter adding on another sample. Will brood on what to add!! :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post

To me this classy scent is all silks and jewels and dinner by candlelight and then off to the theatre in the Rolls. Delicately floral with a powdery musk underneath (as has been said elsewhere - the satin interior of Mother's beaded evening bag in which nested her enameled powder compact and - yes - cigarette case!) - tres raffinee!

Wow Taolady, that is way different from all of our impressions, yet I can envision yours -- in my mind I can smell the Djedi. This journey is so cool and it continues....

*sigh* Wishing purplebird7 will sign in to read this thread. Hope she is doing well.
    Last edited by dimples; 3rd May 2007 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mharvey816 View Post
    Thanks to purplebird for the Djedi, Quarry for the Dzing! and Dimples for the CdR EDT. I will also be including a sample of Sous le Vent in the package ....
    Ditto on the thankses guys....today's report:

CdeR - lotsa heady flowers but no Cuir!!! Waaah. Lovely though.

Dzing! - not much zing, but pleasantly citric.Would love to experience the animalic gasoline trumpeted elsewhere but - nada!!

SleV (in the Nordstrom vial) - greeny citrus with a hint of amber. Nice. (Took a generous swig 'cause it seemed appropriate for this warm day!.

Am adding Lea St. Barth to the package going out to Riannon tomorrow!!

This has been a great adventure!! Who wants to start a "Progressive Sniff-In" ??? Like a progressive dinner. :bounce:

Later: Wrongo!!! Going out to Flathorn in Alaska first. By the way - where's she been???
    Last edited by TaoLady; 3rd May 2007 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Refinements!!! And update.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

mharvey, I can just see that porch you're talking about, and I think I smell it too. The fragrance of old houses is special to me. I can understand, too, the elegance Taolady finds in the Djedi. A great perfume can be many things, can't it?

Nobody else seems to wet their pants at a whiff of Dzing! the way I do, I guess. I'm delighted it does impact me so pleasantly as it does.

Yes, ladies, save those flip-top dental floss dispensers. They're sturdy and, with a little decoration, almost elegant holsters for those vials entrusted to postal transport.

This is fun, but less so since purplebird is on leave.

DJEDI TRACKING:
    I just picked up the sample at the post office, and I have to say I haven't been as excited and expectant over trying any other fragrance to date.
    I'm spending some time reading the reviews and it's history, so am not plunging right in like I usually do, without an ingredient list or a clue. I realize this may be my only chance to sample it so I'm going to approach Djedi the way it deserves.
    I have to admit after reading so many stellar reviews, I have impossibly high expectations, so I need to clear my mind a bit and approach this as if it were 1928, trying a new release for the first time.
    The smell of it in the baggie is, surprisingly, all the things others have said of it. I'm prepping myself for it right now. This is really such a fun experience. I would love to do something like this again.

- Kathy -

Oh, I can't wait to hear your impressions Kathy.

I've been trying it for 3 hours, and my feeling right now is ... depression. This is an awesome fragrance - how am I going to get some of this stuff? I should never try these impossible to get fragrances I almost wish I didn't try it now.

I'm not saying this in the heat of the moment. It is what I wanted Cuir De Russie to be but never was on me - sensual, leathery, animalic, enticing, bewitching, dark, yet refined, almost ladylike. It got everything just right. Sous Le Vent felt spritely and annoyingly bright next to it. Dzing was reduced to a leather without the depth, animalics or submerged floral element that gives Djedi a a satisfyingly full roundness to it. Neither have the animalic smoulder of Djedi. This is a perfume to call your signature scent. I must say this was a bit of a set-up as I love chypres and especially leathers, so I was destined to take a fall here.

I'm finding it hard to do an adequate review with one small testing, but will proceed with the knowledge everyone is suffering the same limitation.

This was a sensual fragrance right out of the gate, and I smelled the dry earthy quality of vetiver immediately. The presence of the submerged rose was also apparent from the beginning, so when the leather emerged in a few minutes it wasn't the straightforward leather of Dzing, but a more subtle rounded one. Also present from start to drydown was a suffuse low-key sweetness, in the style of Messe De Minuit. Balanced against these elements was a flirting in and out of animalics, in *just* the right amount, and, tmn, the musty earthy spiciness of angelica. On me it became more the "tremendous animalic vetiver " of Luca Turin than the "driest perfume of all time" of Roja Dove. There is a certain indolic note to it all, which adds to its sensuality and earthiness. But with that angelica note, it's incapable of staying in the earth, as is the paradoxical angelica, a root basenote that reaches to the heavens.

It was satisfying and strong in all phases, a requirement for a great perfume. My favorite phase though was the top midnote. It was wonderful, with a strong, wild presence.

There are several things I appreciate about this fragrance. One is that it isn't blatant in spite of being a leathery floral animalic. No note predominates or stands out. Everything is made subject to the service of the fragrance as a whole. It doesn't flaunt itself as a leather, it doesn't highlight a vanillic note, it doesn't proclaim itself a chypre. It feels categoryless and timeless. I get a little tired of the labels and "types" sometimes. The creator obviously had a vision in mind, not a type or category.

Two is that it didn't have an hesperidic opening, and is one of the rare fragrances I've smelled that doesn't seem to have any hesperides. Bergamot is a classic component of chypres and leathers and is probably there, but if so it's almost entirely submerged and used only for modification. As above, I sometimes get a little tired of the token citrus opening notes.

There is a refined tragic note to this fragrance, in a grand Goth tradition. But it is high-minded, and doesn't involve anything as prosaic as cellars or crypts to me. It would be more the cold regalness of a castle, as the energy of this fragrance does seem age-imbued.

In a thread last winter people were speculating what fragrances Catherine and Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights might wear. I said the soul scent they had in common would have been Black Aoud. But I now feel it would be Djedi. It has an air of time past Black Aoud doesn't.

So beautifully worded, dear. I hope Purplebird will be back soon to read this.

And so, I am next. Take your time, because I have developped an extreme allergic reaction to perfume and I think it will take quite some time before I am able to wear anything again

We are so lucky to have a reviewer like this on Basenotes! Thanks, Flathorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    We are so lucky to have a reviewer like this on Basenotes! Thanks, Flathorn.
    Major Ditto!! Great job! :bounce:

Like you Flathorn, I braced myself, going in, knowing that's it's discontinued. Kind of like knowing that Sean Connery is already happily married but enjoying "Robin and Marian" anyway!!

Thanks so much for a wonderfully worded review Flathorn. I was re-living my experiences with Djedi through your words.

Riannon, I hope you get over the allergies soon. I for one, would dearly love to hear your poetic impressions of this one.

BTW, I couldn't resist, and ordered a small sample of "my precious" from Buffalo_Gals -- just to sniff, for medicinal purposes, you know.

Riannon, that is a shocking turn of events - I hope you get over your allergies soon. I might need to send this to you quickly, as like Dimples, I am calling it My Precious, and we all know what happens to those who fall under the spell of My Precious. Actually, that sounds like a powerful name and concept for a fragrance, though maybe a little kitchy with its tie-in to LOTR...
    Taolady - so you too carry a torch for the most classic man on the planet. Thanks for the little shift in perspective. I've been dejected since last night. The pleasure is in the moment and the pain comes from holding on. You truly are a "Tao" lady.
    I've been gone for several weeks - is Purplebird okay?

On reflection, it's difficult to say where the power of Djedi lies. It isn't as long-lasting as it would seem. When I woke up this morning I couldn't smell it on my wrist anymore, though I could still smell the Sous Le Vent. The drydown of SLV was really very nice, and much stronger to the nose than Djedi. If I sniffed SLV I couldn't smell D anymore and had to clear my olfactories. But it just wasn't as compelling as Djedi.
    Those combination of notes seemed to tap into the limbics more, and work on a deeper level where the true power of a perfume lies. After all, the original uses of fragrances were for spiritual purposes, to connect one to the gods. Djedi has that same authority in that it works on a more submerged level, and taps into some primal stuff. Jacques Guerlain was more than a genius or master perfumer - considering he created some of the most evocative fragrances ever made, he was connected at a level you can't teach in perfumer's school.

Edit: Oh yes, I wanted to thank Twolf and Purplebird for making this experience possible. This was a wonderful idea.
    Last edited by flathorn; 8th May 2007 at 04:49 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Ditto everything said by Riannon, Twolf, Taolady, and Dimples.

You, Flathorn, make me more aware that Djedi is a symphony. That analogy is probably used too often with regard to perfume, and seldom when it's really warranted. But Djedi is a performance, consistent in elegance but changing so as to maintain interest for both the well-schooled nose and the nose of the common man, as it were--in a league with Mozart.

Additionally, Flathorn, I must thank you for the nudge your review of Nanadebary Green gave to me (I'm hesitant and shy in all things by nature). When almost no one wrote of NG and I sat sniffing droplets of my sample, your comments prompted me to get a bottle of NG, which I'm now loving to death. (Oh, the theatrics of those words--I know, but we can do that here of all places, can't we?)
    Last edited by Quarry; 8th May 2007 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flathorn View Post
    I've been gone for several weeks - is Purplebird okay?....Edit: Oh yes, I wanted to thank Twolf and Purplebird for making this experience possible. This was a wonderful idea.
    A couple of weeks ago, PurpleBird7 said she had to leave for a while - here's the thread: http://community.basenotes.net/showt...=195568&page=4. I think it's safe to say we are all sending healing positive vibes in her direction.

And I would join in your vote of thanks for this great - and generous - idea. We are blessed!! :bounce:

what a description! you should be a writer

Djedi is back in the Old World from where she came.

Flathorn's parcel arrived yesterday but somehow I was hesitant to open it. Almost afraid.
    Last night, thunder and lightning and I can't sleep. And I open the parcel, knowing I am the last in this line of sharing beauty.

Holding you all in my hands, everyone who shared this vial before it reached me. I try to imagine what you have felt at those first moments of wonder.
    Everyone who added a scent of her own choice. To compare, to make it even more complete.

Fragrance and memory. Not often does a scent hit so hard. The moment I apply one precious drop on my wrist, time turnes and there are tears in my eyes.
    I remember you, Djedi. And every emotion that came with you so many, many years ago.

Like a lover whose face you can't forget. Whose last embrace lingers in your heart.
    The fragrance embraces me again and I welcome her. You are home at last.

For the moment this will have to do. Right now I need to be alone with her.
    But how could they ever call this a 'dry' scent? The richness of earth and smooth leather sings in her.

To be continued........