Code of Conduct

Angry Smelled it again...that horrid, powdery sweet, marine men's cologne - what is it?

So that I will try and avoid taking a sniff if I can help it and will never even dream of getting this for my male friends!!! It is very sweet, powdery, aquatic-like. It's far from "fresh", as it's always very very strong when I smell it on a guy. I've smelled this pretty often...and in close-knit spaces unfortunately. So it seems to be everywhere - definitely a mass-marketed fragrance. It seems like all the men I've smelled this on, bathes themselves in it. So I ask this forum..what could this stench possibly be????

Default Re: Smelled it again...that horrid, powdery sweet, marine men's cologne - what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by bashful_in_newyork View Post
    So I ask this forum..what could this stench possibly be????
    JPG Le Male? Sounds like my reaction to it . . .

Default Re: Smelled it again...that horrid, powdery sweet, marine men's cologne - what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
    JPG Le Male? Sounds like my reaction to it . . .
    LOL I actually like JPG Le Male...to me, it smells very clean and soapy on a guy. In fact, the scent drives me crazy when they wear this - makes me want to sit on their laps and wrap my arms around them.

Blog Entries

Most aquatic mens EDTs can be very sexy when worn in moderation, but most general users offend with over application.

A few major suspects are:

Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey For Men
    Armani Acqua di Gio
    Davidoff Coolwater for Men
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Clinique Happy For Men
    Liz Claiborne Curve For Men
    Paris Hilton Just Me For Men

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

First that comes to mind - JOOP!
    Hideous stuff...

I believe Moondeva nailed it with...........Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey For Men this one has always been TOO much for me

L'eau isn't powdery its woody. and its not annoying, it smells crisp and fresh on me at least.

I HATE POWDERY, i WOULD NOT wear l'eau if i detected powder or my g/f said it was powdery.

Use of the word "marine" scares me that my beloved Bulgari Aqua is the fragrance in question! Powdery? Yeah. Sweet? Not so much.

First post too! Not just lurkin anymore, yarrr!

So that I will try and avoid taking a sniff if I can help it and will never even dream of getting this for my male friends!!!
    Actually, I think "taking a sniff" of this stuff once more is the best thing that could happen for you. It's your only chance of finding out for sure what it is...
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Maybe it's one of those ubiquitous body sprays marketed as "babe magnets" to those with low self-esteem and confidence issues.
    Last edited by Sloan; 2nd April 2007 at 11:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    Most aquatic mens EDTs can be very sexy when worn in moderation, but most general users offend with over application.

A few major suspects are:

Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey For Men
    Armani Acqua di Gio
    Davidoff Coolwater for Men
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Clinique Happy For Men
    Liz Claiborne Curve For Men
    Paris Hilton Just Me For Men

Moondeva's suspect list is spot on. In my experience, it's Curve, Acqua di Gio, and especially Cool Water that are so overused & overapplied they'd be on my short list as your despised miasma.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 1st April 2007 at 08:47 PM.

Might be how I'd describe Bvlgari Blv -- An overspray of THAT stuff could do unnatural horrible things to my sinuses.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Travtex View Post
    Might be how I'd describe Bvlgari Blv -- An overspray of THAT stuff could do unnatural horrible things to my sinuses.
    You're right Travtex - I utterly forgot about BLV! See my review below for details:

BLV pour Homme by Bulgari (Thumbs Down)
    I find this one-dimensional, icky sweet brew of gingerbread and nicotiana off-putting in the extreme. It reminds me of those saccharine tunes my daughter used to listen to in the car when she was two. (Just before she developed a taste for Wagner, Beethoven and The Jayhawks.) For me this travels the same road as A*Men. Not one I want to venture on.

05 February 2007
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 1st April 2007 at 08:47 PM.

Well, everyone has nailed the usual marine suspects. But I think the complaint was that the scent was too powdery and sweet, not that it was marine. So, what marine scent ends up powdery and sickly? And is worn by everyone?

Geir comes to mind, but not everyone wears it.

BLV was a good guess, but again, not many wear it.

The only one that sounds likely is L'Eau d'Issey. I'm sorry, but that stuff is just way too sour. When the vanilla emerges, it's simply unbearable. Not really powdery per se, but definitely sickly.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

it's not l'eau d'issey. she told me in a PM that she likes L'eau d'issey.

Blog Entries

Bvlgari Blv immediately came to mind. There's a note or accord in there that is really strange. Same w/ L'eau Bleue D'Issey (but not the original one). Of course...it may very well be Cool Water that you just can't stand.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Could be L'eau Bleue D'issey..

The only marine scent that I know is powdery is Laguna Homme. However, not many people wear it around here.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Maybe it's one of those ubiqitous body sprays marketed as "babe magnets" to those with low self-esteem and confidence issues.
    Right, that settles it then! Lynx! LOL!

Clemmie
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Dior Homme immediately came to mind.

It's pretty new so it's probably very popular at the moment.

And it's powdery & ickly sweet...ugh.

It is very sweet, powdery, aquatic-like. It's far from "fresh", as it's always very very strong when I smell it on a guy.
    Though Aqua Motu from Comptoir Sud Pacifique is not really mass-market, but it fits your description in my opinion well enough. And there is at least one man on earth with similar opinion - one review:
    -----
    "Light and fresh"? I don't think so. Try sickeningly sweet, more like rancid suntan lotion. There is a fresh air / ozone note buried in there somewhere, but it's way too hard to find it.
    -----

Lacost Essential?

Quote Originally Posted by bigsink View Post
    Lacost Essential?
    ...or Lacoste Pour Homme

...or maybe even the new Dunhill (2003). Bleck.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

What about Allure?
    It's got those citrusy notes that can make it seem fresh or aquatic, but the dry down is kind of sweet and powdery. Maybe even Allure sport.

They're both becoming popular enough that you'd probably smell it pretty often.

A lot of the others I can't see as being too ubiquitous. Maybe the Blv, it seems pretty popular- but I don't usually think of it as powdery.

I really like Burberry brit's powdery nature- but I don't think it would be considered aquatic at all so I'm pretty sure that's not what you're smelling (even though it's become pretty common)

Aqua di gio
    ok it's not sweet but if it's something you smell too much of...

LOL I actually like JPG Le Male...to me, it smells very clean and soapy on a guy. In fact, the scent drives me crazy when they wear this - makes me want to sit on their laps and wrap my arms around them.
    I'm getting some and moving to NYC...(that is your real picture isn't it?)

<wolf puts JPG Le Male on list>
    wolf

So that I will try and avoid taking a sniff if I can help it and will never even dream of getting this for my male friends!!! It is very sweet, powdery, aquatic-like. It's far from "fresh", as it's always very very strong when I smell it on a guy. I've smelled this pretty often...and in close-knit spaces unfortunately. So it seems to be everywhere - definitely a mass-marketed fragrance. It seems like all the men I've smelled this on, bathes themselves in it. So I ask this forum..what could this stench possibly be????
    Simple solution Bashful - next time just ask the offender what he's wearing. He'll think he's being complimented and you'll find out the stench's identity. "Win - win".

Besides those already listed, I'd add Fierce by Abercrombie. Not exactly what your notes suggested, but I know this stuff makes me sick (I smell it everywhere).

For some reason, Polo Sport comes to mind...

It could be Halston Unbound which smells aquatic and powdery sweet to my nose.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Givenchy Blue Label. It's not horrid, but it's powdery sweet and marine.

That's the reaction I have to Blue Water (Davidoff). I finally found out what it was by asking a guy on the street.

My first guess was Bvlgari Aqua, and BLV is a good guess too, but probably not as popular.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Maybe it's one of those ubiquitous body sprays marketed as "babe magnets" to those with low self-esteem and confidence issues.
    Exactly...like axe kilo that i used to wear when i was a teenager and knew nothing of good fragrance! ha ha