Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fragrance and Demographics

Hi, would just like to say that I'm a complete newbie here and already awed by the vast amount of fragrance knowledge from this community! Anyways, to cut to the chase, I'm currently a senior high school student with a growing addiction to scent, though still very much an amateur in the fascinating world of perfumes. Just out of curiosity, around what age are most of the members here? It sounds like everybody has such a highly trained "nose" perfected by age and experience (it's difficult not to feel a little intimidated!).

Would also love to ask for some recommendations, should anybody be so kind. I'm a huge fan of Coco Mademoiselle, D&G Light Blue, Yves Saint Laurent Nu, Nina Ricci Love in Paris, the "satin" SJP Lovely, Emporio Armani She, and Hugo Boss Femme, to name a few. Florientals? My tastes are probably a little more "mature" than your average high school student, though I'm nowhere quite near the Chanel No. 19 or Guerlain Mitsuoko territory yet. I'd prefer a few less-known, though still accessible fragrances to fit within my budget and lifestyle. Thanks so much in advance!
    If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fragrance and Demographics

First of all...Welcome on boardI wouldn't concider myself all that "well trained"in the world of fragrances yet,but I've learned a lot during my time here IMHO I think you shuld give Coco Chanel a try.

Well hello! As a newbie myself I certainly relate to the feeling of trepidation and intimidation by the sheer knowledge here, but I've found everyone to be very friendly and helpful. I have a daughter aged 17 and a son aged 21, so you can probably guess roughly at my age (a lady never reveals...<g>), and I don't consider my nose to be experienced or trained, it's just sensitive to certain things, and I can pick out fragrances I know very well. I have real trouble separating them when they're in amongst tons of others though!

I can't recommend, I don't know enough, but I'm sure you'll get tons of really helpful suggestions from the people here whose boots I'm not fit to lick! :-)

Have fun!
    Clemmie
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Hi Shanghai Rose and welcome! I'm relatively new to the world of perfume too, and I also find the vast amount of knowledge in the Basenotes community very intimidating, but for the most part everyone is so nice and helpful. I'm 24 and have always loved to smell things (a bit weird?) and have been into perfume since I was about 13. I've generally gone for mass-market fragrances sheerly due to the fact that there aren't too many niche scents available where I live (or in the whole of Australia for that matter). There are so many European names to which people refer that I've never heard of, let alone smelled. Nevertheless I'm enjoying my learning experiences here and my nose has already been introduced to several perfumes that I never would have previously tried, but I sampled due to recommendations from BN. I hope the same happens for you!! One simple thing I could suggest would be to search through the directory for scents you already know you like, and see if they have any notes in common. Then try to smell those notes when you next wear the fragrance, and see if it's what's drawing you in - then you could search for other unknown scents that contain that note. It's a good way of exploring the unknown without totally going into a different fragrance universe.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everybody, for replying! It's nice to see I'm not the only person who feels a little bit awed by the vast amount of expertise here.

ineespenes, I've tried Coco before, but it tends to turn very sour and pungent on my skin. I prefer Coco Mademoiselle since it's lighter and juicier, but, thanks for the suggestion!

Clemmie, your daughter and I are the same age, actually! Most of the girls I know are wearing Anna Sui (Dolly Girl's a favorite), Britney Spears, Cool Water Woman, Ralph... the vast peppiness of it all gets on my nerves at times. I can pick out common department fragrances fairly well, too, but some are just so generic that they just blend like crazy in my brain.

And ozkat, I started enjoying perfumes from about... age 14? I think it was the bottle of Elizabeth Arden Green Tea that did it - I thought it was so minimalist, light, yet elegant. Flash foward a month, I went back to my dorms, and every other girl seemed to have a bottle. *sigh* It's probably because I'm new at this, but I love mass-market scents. There's a familiarity about them, I guess? But the European names intimidate me a little; I always feel like I should grow up another few decades before I even start thinking about trying them. I tried your advice on checking the directory and came up with bergamot, rose, musks, ambers, cedarwood, freesia, jasmine, vetiver, peach/mandarin/tangerine, and orchid. Thanks so much! Knowing the notes will help me alot, I'm sure!

Hi Shanghai Rose,

My daughter tends to go for fragrances that are not so common amongst her friends (the only one she wears that everyone knows is JLo Glow, and that smells fabulous on her - it's her favourite). She likes Gaultier Classique, and she wears Serge Lutens Datura Noir most of the time. She also wears Estee Lauder Beyond Paradise. It's really interesting comparing how fragrances react on her skin and mine. The same fragrance can be completely different on each of us, and we like going out sampling together to find out what works and what doesn't. We often spend whole days checking out fragrances (tub of coffee beans at the ready!). What fun!

Clemmie
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like

Im in the same boat as well as far as being overwhlemed by the vast amount of knowledge around here. I haven't been around for awhile so I've kind of forgotten alot of my fragrance know-how but will hopefully re-learn everything I've forgotten and then of course slowly surrender my paycheck over to the providers of the scents I crave.....

Welcome...

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Fragrance and Demographics

bergamot, rose, musks, ambers, cedarwood, freesia, jasmine, vetiver, peach/mandarin/tangerine, and orchid. Thanks so much! Knowing the notes will help me alot, I'm sure![/QUOTE]

Hey, Shanghai!

Welcome!

I am in my late 20's. I am a teacher of middle school students and have also taught high school students.

I also went for the unlikelier choices (not so peppy) when I was your age. Let me see if I can help.

Some things that fit your fragrance likes (I've also included the notes in them that may appeal to you:

-Young Sexy Lovely (YSL) by Yves Saint Laurent (peach, amber)
    -Miss Dior Cherie by Christian Dior (tangerine, jasmine, musk)
    -Dior Addict 2 by Christian Dior (bergamot, freesia, musk)
    -Incanto Shine by Salvatore Ferragamo (peach, freesia, amber)
    -Gucci Envy Me by Gucci (jasmine, musks)-
    -Lovely Prism by Givenchy (tangerine)
    -Clean Ultimate by Clean (bergamot, jasmine, musk)
    -Eau Parfumee Green Tea (the vert) by Bvlgari (bergamot, green tea)
    (I liked the Bvlgari green tea when I was 17; still one of my favorites now.
    It's very classic.)
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

hi de ho.

i'm more of a lurker around here, trying to not be so much anymore, so welcome. :-)

you're not much younger than me (college senior myself), so we're not too far apart.

why be afraid of #19? its beautiful frag. seriously. i adore it, but its hard to find in these parts (how the heck is anything hard to find in miami... sheesh), only the macy's in the mall i work at carries it, sephora wouldn't know #19 if it konked a sales girl on the head.

personally, i wear #5 a lot, as it is one of my faves (cliched, i know). not many gals my age wear it, so i'm special. i also wear jill sanders #4 (and have since i was like five. i had a great-aunt who indulged me with tiny bottles of it every christmas, oh man i could make one last the year... even if it meant perfumed scented bubbles! thank god my boyfriend bought me a real bottle of it). again, not many people wear this, my age or other wise, at least that i know of. another few that get lots of skin time are la instant and champs elysées. just looking at my wardrob shows an odd collection of stuff most of my friends haven't even heard of (they're sorry excuses of perfume girls, i know, considering i don't have a lot of rare or niche stuff) forget even smelt.

moral of the story is, wear what you like! if you smelt something that seems to be too mature or over the top, so what? just think about it this way: someone's going to smell you wearing it and be utterly entraced because no one else smells like that... or at least, that's how i like to think about it.

ok, tis all!

patricia
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is the best answer I can give. I'll leave the recommendations to the girls.

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...&highlight=Age

That was an age poll by one of our members. You'll see what you are looking for there. This was as of last year so you might want to start a new one.

Thumbs up Re: Fragrance and Demographics

Hi Shanghai Rose!

I'll throw my hat into the "still learning and not fit to lick the boots of the Sages around here" but, that said, people are very friendly and willing to share tons of info.

One of the things that helps is to read, read, read! You will tend to "follow" certain posters because their taste and aesthetic seems to mesh with yours. Others will lead you into new territory. Explore, explore, explore. Go to the department store and test. Buy samples from Aedes or Lucky Scent. Find what suits you and maybe you will find your HG (Holy Grail) but with so many delicious scents out there, can anyone truly have just ONE?

Use your "wardrobe" to keep track of scents you've tried, want to try, own, and have owned. Make notes, list your impressions. Read and write reviews. You will learn by doing, but yes, some have knowledge here which is just....awe inspiring. The best part about basenotes is the community. You will learn lots just by hanging around here!

Have a great time, oh, and ps, engage in some swapping, trading, and mutual sample-giving with your community here. It is one of the best ways to learn about fragrance.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Post Thanks / Like

Clemmie, it's nice to know that your daughter likes to do things a little different as well! Glow from JLo always seems to smell very differently from person to person - on some it smells like a fresh, warm second skin... (I'm guessing your daughter is so lucky) - on others I think it smells like sweat, unfortunately. I've never tried the Serge Lutens but I have a vague recollection of the Gaultier, and own the Beyond Paradise though I rarely wear it. It's a beautiful floral, but it doesn't meld well with my skin chemistry (it was a birthday gift). Anyways, you sound like just about the world's coolest mom, since mine absolutely hates scents and continually threatens to chuck my entire perfume wardrobe into the trashcan 24/7...

Thanks for the welcome, andiMAC! My wallet is continually being reduced by my excessive buying of new scents... but who can help it, really? Even as newbies, it looks like we're falling head over hells for this sort of thing!

And thanks so much of the list, Kotori! It was really helpful - before the boards went down, I browsed around my local department store and paid close attention to most of these, thanks so much! YSL's I loved in the bottle, but turned to... pepto bismol on my skin, unfortunately =/ Miss Dior Cherie was a little too sweet, even after the nuttier, warmer drydown - but I'm currently considering Dior Addict 2 as a summer scent (it's fresh and lovely!). Incanto Shine was a little too fruity-floral, while Lovely Prism I couldn't find in my local department store... but remember trying on at the airport at least a year ago and finding very nice (so I might make a note to revisit it). We don't have Clean where I live (!) but I tried on the Bulgari; unfortunately, it wasn't a great blend with my skin chemistry, either. But I had just about the biggest blast trying them all on, just like a kid in a candy shop, and Dior Addict 2 just might be my newest addition to my perfume family - thank you! You were a huge help!

Hey, xdattax! Ahh, nice to meet somebody around the same age demographic - hmm, as for why the aversion to No. 19... I don't know, really. I do like other more "mature" scents (I love Chanel No. 5, for example!) - but perhaps something in the mixture of No. 19 just really hits my nose the wrong way. I do like just about every other Chanel scent, though - hmmm. But I totally agree with you - it's best to wear what I like, and hope that others will agree with my assessments. That's such a beautiful way of looking at it Oh! And I really like Champs-Elysees myself... do you mean Guerlain's L'instant, btw? I own that one too (gift from an ex-boyfriend) and I love it on occasions but find it too gourmand-y on others. Guerlain scents are absolutely breathtaking for the most part, though!

Thanks for the link, EnvYuS! I read through it and it seems like most people are from their late twenties to early thirties... really interesting to read!

And mochi227, I did get your PM (and replied to it, thanks so much!), so I'll just make a shorter reply to your post from here. I will definitely read, read, read, and explore, explore, explore! My nose gets tingly just thinking about it all, actually I will definitely make it my resolution to start building up my wardrobe and getting more and more involved in this wonderful community. Thanks for the great advice! It feels like I'm learning so much already.

Quote Originally Posted by shanghai_rose View Post

Hey, xdattax! Ahh, nice to meet somebody around the same age demographic - hmm, as for why the aversion to No. 19... I don't know, really. I do like other more "mature" scents (I love Chanel No. 5, for example!) - but perhaps something in the mixture of No. 19 just really hits my nose the wrong way. I do like just about every other Chanel scent, though - hmmm. But I totally agree with you - it's best to wear what I like, and hope that others will agree with my assessments. That's such a beautiful way of looking at it Oh! And I really like Champs-Elysees myself... do you mean Guerlain's L'instant, btw? I own that one too (gift from an ex-boyfriend) and I love it on occasions but find it too gourmand-y on others. Guerlain scents are absolutely breathtaking for the most part, though!

ah, yes... Guerlain is probably one of my favorite perfume houses. i'm kicking myself for last night though, I believe I finally found mitsoku and la her blu (my spelling is horrid, you'll see!) in Saks, but since i and a friend were there an hour before closing and on a mission (bridesmaid dresses) i did not get to smell them, and by the time i got back to saks, the gate was down. :-(

mmm. not every one loves 19. i do, my mom dislikes it. its a love or hate frag, i think.

and for l'instant, yup, its a guerlain. funny, how that frag is also connected to an ex for me, but in a different way. my current beau bought it for me as a late birthday gift (as part of an expensive set) right in front of the at-the-time boyfriend. my 3rd male friend later told me it was all an effort to make the now-exboyfriend look cheap and lazy. no one can accuse my hunny of not being sneaky and going for what he wants! ;-)

cheers!
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

Post Thanks / Like

Way too cute about the bf! Just to share a story, before my ex and I were going out, we got each other Issey Miyake (his and hers) for Christmas without even realizing it. I guess it shows great minds think alike? (We're still good friends, now.) Your boyfriend sounds like a great guy, though - any guy who buys a Guerlain gift set for his girl is a keeper! My ex got my Guerlain, Issey Miyake, Kenneth Cole (Black), along with other non-perfume presents within the three months we dated... needless to say I was sorry it had to end. Now I have to buy them all myself!

Ack about the Mitsouko (sp as well?) - I'm sure you can always go back another day, right? I'd really love to smell Mitsouko; I never have! I do like Shalimar as well, though - it's such a dreamy, exotic, gorgeous scent. As for No. 19, I suppose it's a love/hate, too. Coco Mademoiselle is my personal favorite, followed by No. 5, and then it might just be Gardenia, Allure, etc... No. 19 and Chance are the only two I can't really bring myself to like.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome to Basenotes, shanghai_rose. Very pleased to meet you, and let me tell you, surprised here by your fragrance maturity and your ability to string the words in an intelligent manner. Will be awaiting more insightful and exciting posts from you!

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest you write to Frederic Malle (or go to website and fill out questionnaire) - they usually send free samples (especially if you write en Francais) - my recs would be Carnal Flower, Iris Poudre and Une Rose. These would agree with your mature outlook on perfume (although Lipstick Rose is meant to be more fun and young, and Angeliques SLP is nice and light). My wife loves all these in addition to the great Chanels you have mentioned - Allure, Coco Mme, Gardenia and also Bois des Iles, and L'Instant and Shalimar.

Other suggestions:

Burberry Brit
    Annick Goutals (Heure Exquise is our favourite)
    Hermes 24 Fauborg
    Serge Lutens (try all of them!)

Have fun!
    --------------------------------------
    And Miss Dior!!! The original is infinitely superior to the Cherie version, and far more suited to your excellent taste.
    Last edited by Ged; 12th April 2007 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! I sent you a PM.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I'm concerned it's demographics that kill a sweet beautiful scent for older women...IMHO.

Welcome to the website I have to say first. As far as I see there is no "Flaming" on this site. They are very helpful indeed!

Personally, as a guy and going with my wife to check out nice perfumes for her and what I like to smell on her....I smelled The Princess from Vera Wang....awesome!!!!!!!! I smelled Tommy Bahama...another light coconut island fragrance....these 2 are un-real to me, real nice!

Now let me explain how demographics can be damaging...lol. You know and I know when you pass a woman in her early to late 60's or mid 50's...at least out here on LI, you smell the "Older lady perfume"...that strong as hell, putrid, annisette powder smell.

However, even if your still that age YOU CAN wear youthful "Bubble Gum" type of perfume that men LOVE. The Princess to many is Saccharine and cotton candy-ish, yet it smells sweet and awesome to me, insatiable to be honest. Tommy Bahama is light as hell not overpowering yet "Island-like" as it's name smooth and not SPICY, or "Older lady smelling" or musky for that matter...lol

You are never too old to wear anything. Be different, be unique in your own way. It's a shame to smell these "Old lady perfumes" on woman at all. I hate em' and they stink soooooo bad it's repulsive...lmao. I'm a more "metallic" scented person. I like dark colognes and perfumes, dont get me wrong , BUT...smooth and sexy is nice..not "In your face" stinky scents.

Even if your in H.S. you are very unique in what you have as perfumes, almost way ahead of her time. Sounds cool. people say Princess is too "teeny Bopper" but I dont look at it that way cause if I do I'd feel like an idiot pedophile or somethin' lol lmao. I'm in my 30's and my wife cracked up when I told her this. Does it make me a nut? No. lol I just like food! lmao.. and Princess is sweet and nice like Bahama as well.

Just wished older women would stick to these kind of scents. I have a lady at work who LOADS on the Old Lady powdery annissette perfume EVERY day.....HORRIBLE.

Good luck and sorry about the novel, but there should be no demograhics in my world, ya get what's sexy and what you like. Older woman too, stay way from that "Old Lady perfume"..lol.
    The search for the perfect cologne is like a composer searching for the ultimate note.

P.S. F' Imus...Stern is King!

Post Thanks / Like

Squire, I honestly don't think 'old ladies' wear 'old lady perfumes' because they HAVE to--I think they wear them because they WANT to. I know the old ones aren't for everyone, but so what? What stinks to you may not stink to everyone else. I'm proud my wardrobe consists of everything from Mitsouko to Miss Dior Cherie (Princess does not work on me...alas, I wanted that bottle). I'm 25. Quite frankly, the world is large enough for anyone to wear whatever they want, and I have to defend the Older Lady Perfume.

Post Thanks / Like

lol lol...Maybe it's to "ward-off" men in general?

I kid ofcourse.. I guarantee though that if you asked enough people, I guess men, in a poll most would think IMHO that those older fragrances I mentioned that have that scent are putrid. Now that being said...there are men who believe or love some colognes they wear that women think may be putrid as well.

lol...Sometimes the posts or the written word comes out or is read the wrong way.

All I'm saying is I swear to god that every single time I've encountered that "Old lady perfume smell" it's been overpowering and horrendous....to me, thats all. Theres "old man" Hai Karate and Musky putrid scents as well that guys wear.

I guess there is scents that people wear to entice the other sex. Theres scents to entice themselves or what they like or think is good for them alone. Theres the "popular" colognes and perfumes as well. It's all out there.

This IS NOT a ploy to sell Princess OR Bahama, I'm just saying that I....I, like and am posting my OP on what smells pleasant to me. I aint here to degradate senior citizens etc. BUT...but....I've smelled this "annisette powdery scent" on women of that age, that's all. I know it, I've smelled it. Personally to me theres nothing enticing about this certain scent. I wish I knew the notes but I dont. Those guys out there know exactly what I'm talking about.

Hey, in the end ya wear what you want. I'm told women love Le Male for men and I hate it so I wouldn't buy it, so I understand. It's all Opinion....it's not a shouting match or a flame up.

It is an interesting thing to bring your Husband OR boyfirend to the perfume counter and let him smell...I never thought of it that way until I went and it was fun picking out "Good" or "No Good".

Thank you and have a pleasant day and happy scent hunting! lol
    The search for the perfect cologne is like a composer searching for the ultimate note.

P.S. F' Imus...Stern is King!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Twolf, for the lovely welcome! I hope to become more and more involved here, too!

Ged, thank you for all the suggestions! Now I'm extremely curious I'm going to check out the Frederic Malle website right after this and take a closer look at the scents you mentioned, because they sound extremely lovely and enticing. While I can't write in French, never having learnt it... (Chinese is my second language, and snippets of Latin my third, with Japanese as my fourth) I'm definitely going to try and get my hands on a few samples. Your wife seems to have great taste! I've tried Burberry Brit and while I love the scent in the bottle, it turns completely sour on my skin - but the Hermes 24 Fauborg has always intruiged me, and yes, Miss Dior smells so much more wonderful to me than Cherie, I can't even believe it! As for the other two, I have yet to try them, but will definitely make it a priority as well. Thanks so much; I'm so excited now!

Thank you, The Squire, for your advice as well! I like "young" scents as well - I think the Tommy Bahama scents are really beautiful, especially for summer vacations - and I also happen to like YSL Baby Doll, Lacoste Touch of Pink, and a few other more girly scents as well. I can't say Princess is one of my favorites, but I have a friend who wears it and it smells absolutely delicious on her; it's just a little too... gourmand-y for me, I suppose. I certainly agree with you that there shouldn't be an age limit as to perfumes, but the reality is that certain age groups just usually prefer certain scents, hmmm? But to me, it's how old you feel on the inside that matters the most I can sympathize with you that certain scents smell "old lady" to me as well, but it really depends on whether or not the wearer can carry the scent. I think they're more "old lady" since a woman needs an air of worldliness to be able to pull them off in the first place; but, I don't always think they're so bad. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but I sometimes think young scents smell great and sometimes horrible as well. Women really like to feel unique with their scents, as opposed to men... who usually seem to want their girlfriends/wives to smell nice, I suppose? I'm not seeing anybody now, but I definitely tried to ask my boyfriend his opinion on some of my collection, and tried my best to wear the ones he liked best when I was with him. But since men's tastes differ as well, perhaps there are men out there who adore those musky, old lady smells as well

And thank you as well to Arhianrad, I did get your PM and will try to reply ASAP! I also think it's best to have a range of fragrances in one's closet, so one can pick and choose at his/her will! And, judging by most of the posts from this thread, I'm also pretty sure women wear the "old lady" scents because they want to, not because they feel trapped into them. I find some "old lady" scents very nice myself, but in the end, I think people should just wear whatever suits them best. Whether it's a light, bubblegum scent normally targeted towards thirteen-year-olds or a heady, musky "old lady" fragrance... it's up for the wearer to decide what to put in their perfume wardrobe!

Post Thanks / Like

And then there are scents that are young forever, like Jicky...which, for a fragrance formulated in 1889, still holds itself up as a very modern-smelling fragrance to my nose.

Shanghai-rose, as a 'young' 20-something, I'm proud of ya My little sister's about your age and ran away screaming from Miss Dior, lol (actually she runs away from anything with oakmoss in it. sigh). I'll admit I had to try Mitsouko several times before I 'got' it.

Hello and welcome!

I really enjoyed reading your posts and the great responses you got, what a reception! (but i didn't read it all, sorry)

here are some other recs:

Nirmala by Molinard
    All about Eve by Joop
    Lolita Lempika by Lolita Lempika
    Pure Wish by Chopard
    Burberry for women
    Armand Basi in Red by Armand Basi
    Chantilly by Dana
    Initial by Boucheron
    Gloria by Cacharel
    KL by Lagerfeld
    Jeans Couture Glam by Versace
    360 woman by Perry Ellis
    Boss Woman by Boss
    Daliflor by Salvador Dali
    Love in Paris: Fleur de Pivoine limited ed.by Nina Ricci.

cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone is SO nice in here, i cannot believe it!

I just took my time and read this whole post and besides learning some new vocabulary for my very pretty bad english i really could feel, that all the people in here are interested in helping others.

i havent found this helpfulness in any other board yet.

just great

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Arhianrad! I've tried Jicky and think it's very modern, too, though it's not really my style. It really is a masterpiece, though! I love the older Guerlain scents.

Aww, too bad about your little sister - I'm pretty sure most of my friends would run away screaming from Miss Dior as well, which is a shame since it's so lovely! As you know, I've yet to try Mitsouko, but I have a feeling I'll like it - it sounds gorgeous from description.

And wow, castorpollux, thank you so much for the list! I actually searched for every single one through the directory and there are some that I absolutely vow to try now, so it was extremely helpful! I'm glad you enjoyed reading my other posts and I'm so grateful for the warm welcome that's been bestowed on me by Basenotes members; everybody has been unbelievably friendly and helpful so far! Anyways, out of the list you compiled, I'm definitely going to try Pure Wish, Armand Basi, Gloria, Daliflor, and the limited edition Love in Paris. I've tried a few others on the list, but I'm going to re-try the Versace Jeans Couture Glam because the descriptions sound really compelling. Once again, merci beacoup for taking all the time to compile everything for me!

And hi, kiddo! I feel so blessed that people here have been SO nice - to think I was intimidated in the first place! People here have been wonderfully helpful and accepting, and I agree that I haven't been to any other boards where people are so kind. I'm really getting addicted to this fast, eep! (I'm replying to threads while I should be writing an English essay...) - and, oh! Since you're new as well, welcome! I wish I could help you with something, but I'm such an amateur myself that I have nothing to offer except a hello. Hopefully that isn't too paltry!
    Last edited by shanghai_rose; 13th April 2007 at 07:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Fragrance and Demographics

And thanks so much of the list, Kotori! It was really helpful - before the boards went down, I browsed around my local department store and paid close attention to most of these, thanks so much! YSL's I loved in the bottle, but turned to... pepto bismol on my skin, unfortunately =/ Miss Dior Cherie was a little too sweet, even after the nuttier, warmer drydown - but I'm currently considering Dior Addict 2 as a summer scent (it's fresh and lovely!). Incanto Shine was a little too fruity-floral, while Lovely Prism I couldn't find in my local department store... but remember trying on at the airport at least a year ago and finding very nice (so I might make a note to revisit it). We don't have Clean where I live (!) but I tried on the Bulgari; unfortunately, it wasn't a great blend with my skin chemistry, either. But I had just about the biggest blast trying them all on, just like a kid in a candy shop, and Dior Addict 2 just might be my newest addition to my perfume family - thank you! You were a huge help!

You're welcome, Shanghai! Hope you enjoyed your shopping. I am also a fan of Addict 2. I absolutely adore Grapefruit. You might also enjoy Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien. (A citrusy boutique gem)

Have fun looking for your new fragrance!

BTW, while you might immediately love Mitsouko, I might warn you: She is an acquired taste. See my review of it. I own it and enjoy it immensely, but for a young person, it may take some time to enjoy.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, grapefruit is a great note! Not as sweet as orange, not as sour as lemon, but a little bitter and a little sassy/fresh. The Dior counter where I live doesn't give out samples, though, so I'm still deliberating on it... I'll probably buy it when the time comes, though!

Will try Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien, thank you!

And will also check out your review of Mitsouko - judging by the advice I'm getting from more than one person, I'll probably run away screaming from the bottle first sniff... but I'm so incredibly intruiged anyways!