Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help a new frag fiend -- wardrobe review

Dear fellow BN'ers-

I'm sure many of you know the joy and intensity of jumping full force into the world of fragrance. It certainly has captured my attention, and I'm loving it.

I've spent some time and money the past few weeks working on my wardrobe. It's to a point where I hope I have most of the bases covered (american baseball metaphor); that is, I don't have any egregious gaps in my selection, but I can't be sure.

I know that I have omitted many of the boutique brands, but that's only because I haven't had time to access them. If I stick with this addiction, I see no reason I won't get to them eventually; it's only a matter of time and/or money.

Anyone with a moment today please take a peek at my wardrobe and wish list and let me know your opinions about what my next steps might be.

My wardrobe is here.

Thanks for your expert and varied opinions!

NB- A few of the frags are not in hand yet, as they are still en route. In order to keep track I've added them to my wardrobe so they are not yet tested on skin. Also, a few I own aren't rated because I haven't worn them enough yet to post a rating. Anything I've "tested" means I took a pass -- otherwise it would be on my wish list.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help a new frag fiend -- wardrobe review

hi,
    as a new basenoter myself, I would only recommend checking out Jo Malone's line. They aren't terribly commercial (some might disagree-- but in the grand scheme of things, I would re-assert) and there is a pretty good range of scents in there. I myself have Amber & Lavender and Black Vetyver Cafe in high rotation. They aren't the cheapest nor the most expensive bottles, but I'm happy with the stuff. People often ask "what is that you are wearing?" and not with a negative connotation!

Hello, maybe add a few more Guerlains? Habit Rouge, L'Instant EDP and Coriolan would compliment the two that you have.

Oh yes, I see you have yet to take on Kouros.

Maybe add Opium EDP, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, test the Jo Malone line. Especially 154, Pomegranate Noir, and Black Vetyver Cafe. I recently tested about half the entire line except for the citrus fragrances but received samples of those. Bought three of the scents I tested and added Black Vetyver Cafe to my fall buy list.

Looks like you have fresh/clean, citrus/woody, and woody/spicy covered including a few of my faves. I recommend testing some L'Artisan, Serge Lutens, and Diptyque fragrances. I would also add Creed Himalaya and Malle's Musc Ravageur to your To Test list.

For a wide range of variety, try the Comme de Garcons series. Just choose 1 from each (there are a total of 8) and go from there. I own and love Sequoia from the red series.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you've got a great start to a collection there man! Check out some Chanel, the aforementioned CdG (I'd recommend Palisander), look up some roses (The ones I'd recommend, in this order: Rose 31, Rose (CdG), and Czech & Speake #88 (Not a personal favorite, but still recommended)), try some Creeds (SMW first), and get yourself some Dior boy! I use the term boy lightly, because we do have some Basenoters that remember Garfield (NOT the cat), so quick question , how old are you?

As far as Dior goes, you simply must try their line, they have a signature fragrance for everybody, the standouts for me being Dior Homme, Eau Sauvage Extreme (Or the original), and Fahrenheit. Funny, I own all of those, so that's probably why I'd recommend them! Fahrenheit is really a hate it or love it scent, Eau Sauvage (Either one) may give you the vibe of "older distinguished gentleman", and Dior Homme is only a little feminine.

Also, get some samples of the Bond No. 9 line, they may be overpriced, but that doesn't mean they don't have some really quality fragrances. Riverside Dr, Bleecker Street, and Wall Street I enjoyed very much.

Enjoy, and welcome to addiction!
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Great wardrobe.

Recommend:

Jaisalmer by Comme de Garcons
    Rose Poivree by The Different Company
    Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

These 3 should 'shake things up' a bit...have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

You must acquire Chanel Egoiste of course.

Wink Re: Help a new frag fiend -- wardrobe review

Well, I see you own Heritage, Rive Gauche and VC&A - all very classy.
    You tested, but passed on Eau Sauvage - Very Citrus and very 60's.
    You owned Grey Flannel - Another classy, classic.
    You wish for The Dreamer - A gourmand/in your face type.
    You want to test Frederick Malles, Creeds and L'Artisans - All niche brands.
    IMHO, you like classics, but you want some variety. You really want to bite the bullet and buy something exclusive, but at this point you have more or less purchased mid-priced fragrances.
    My suggestions:
    1) Your next purchase should be: Caron's 3rd Man. It's nothing like anything you own, but would fit in nicely with your classic taste level, it's a bit of a floral, which you don't have yet. And you can always find it on the internet for around $30.
    2) Buy either Tea for Two or Silver Mountain Water, as everyone needs a niche fragrance. And these two are easy one's to pull off.
    3) Skip The Dreamer, your Mugler B*Men does the same job.
    4) No more aquatics, please.
    5) No more Gucci, YSL, D&G. You have the Oriental thing covered.
    6) Test Dior Homme before you buy. It is a very unique and exciting new direction for men's fragrances, but a lot of men do not like the "old make-up bag" smell.
    Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Great wardrobe - to me it looks like you have all the bases covered except for :

1) Florals: Mens florals that is - I would highly recommend Czech & Speake no. 88 (niche): Its pricy, but well worth it. (test first!)

2) Animalic/Musky scents: Do you like notes of civet, castoreum (sp?) and musk in fragrances? What do you think of YSL Kouros or Kiehls Musk? If you like them, you might want to give Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur, Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan, Givenchy Gentleman, Guerlain Jicky, and....erm, I am drawing a blank here, but perhaps other basenoters can have further recommendations.

3) Leather frags: Some good choices for leather are Knize Ten, Creed Royal English Leather, Cuiron, Dior Jules, Creed/Chanel Cuir De Russie, Caron Tabac Blond, and others.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

To remain in your metaphorical vein . . .

If I'm not off base in concluding you've assembled most of this wardrobe in just a few weeks, my advice would be to hold up. As you can see, there is no immediate shortage of other things to buy or suggestions for how to spend your money. I think getting too much too fast is as unwise in its way as making blind purchases. It's true with clothing, music, camera lenses, whatever: when you buy rapidly to cover all the theoretical bases others have identified, you frequently don't have time to learn what you like in the situations you really encounter. And you end up with clothes you've never worn, music you've never listened to and a bunch of "shelf queen" lenses.

But, I don't want to depart too much from the spirit of these proceedings, so I'll second Jaisalmer, propose Philosykos and L'Eau de L'Artisan for the coming warm weather, and encourage you to move L'Artisan Vetiver right to the top of your list. It's one of the very best of all, in my view, and recently discontinued, so now is the time to get some.

Most of all, keep enjoying yourself.
    Last edited by Tuner_Watson; 2nd April 2007 at 09:26 PM.
    “They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson” - Jim Rockford

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input from everyone.

Tuner_Watson, I agree. I'm going to slow down now, that's part of why I asked. I think I have a nice wardrobe, all the basics covered, and will only spend more on scents that amaze me or fill a gap.

I forget who mentioned Chanel, but that is a house I'm going to get at least one or two scents from. I hope to have Pour Monsieur by week's end, and may acquire Antaeus as well.

As for Dior, I've smelled most and nothing really interested me. If anything, I want to give Dior Homme a whirl, but as for the others I have to be honest and say they aren't for me.

Thanks again for everyone's help!