Code of Conduct

Default Chandler Burr on the new Febreze - Holy Lavender!!

"The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chandler Burr on the new Febreze - Holy Lavender!!

This new Febreze may be my SOTD in the future.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I find this false consciousness of consumers somewhat sad. It's like children who, because their parents have never given them anything but industry products to eat, prefer artificial strawberry flavor to genuine strawberries. Slowfood employs smell & taste parcours for children and goes into schools to acquaint kids with the wealth and complexity of natural odors and flavors. I think we need scent education as well.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Thanks for posting!

Although, I can't get these words out of my mind:

"Consumers only loved the idea of natural lavender,” she notes. “They didn’t like the reality.”

Somehow it makes me sad. The smell of natural things, natural lavender in a field under the warm sun.....It is simply delicious.
    But then, I am a lavender lover pur sang.

BTW, that Tiffany ring on top on the advertisement at the right hand side was very distracting
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

I want it!!! My couch needs a-sprayin!

Basenotes Institution

I saw this finally for sale, when I was grocery shopping this weekend. It smells pretty good (I sprayed my pants...!). Very cuddly and sweet lavender - I wish there was a fragrance I've smelled to compare it to, but I've never smelled anything like it.

I didn't buy it, but I most likely will next time I need some for the furniture, bedding, etc...

Anyone else smell it?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th December 2007 at 08:01 AM.

It IS kind of depressing both that most people don't like the stimulating natural scent of real lavender and that the corporations seem to overtest every product until it only appeals to the lowest common denominator. On the other hand, one of the most influential fragrances ever, Caron Pour un Homme, takes the same olfactory journey as the febreze researchers did. It starts with a great sharp blast of lavender (which I love) and gradually gets smoother, sweeter and more vanilla as it goes along. I, personally don't like this progression towards sweetness (Give me Yatagan anyday!) but somebody obviously likes it enough for it to have remained popular for over 50 years.
    I am curious to smell the febreze now, but am pretty sure it will lack enough bite for MY sofa.

Very interesting.

Lavender and rose fragrance are used so much in household products - it’s not surprising that people (particularly children) associate these scents with the products rather than the real flowers.

If you live in the city or don’t travel much … when was the last time you smelled real lavender? Or a fragrant rose? Many roses in the florist are grown in hothouses and don’t smell. Apparently some florists spray a rose/flower scent in their shop!

The reality is that real lavender does have a dry, hay-like smell and can be quite camphorous. Apart from P&G needing to meet consumer preference, the sweet, clean “Disney version” of lavender is probably better suited to a product like Febreze than the real thing.

To be honest, I don't like lavender, but I've smelled quite a few "lavender" scented things I've liked.

Febreze is one of the most vile smelling products I've experienced. I find it especially bad once it's on fabric.
    Last edited by Maxwell; 19th December 2007 at 06:51 AM.

I love Febreze, and I'm definitely anxious to try this one. I have like 2 bottles of febreze spray and 3 aerosol cans of it lol

i agree with the good life. and i do like the natural lavender a lot, in contrast to many household product 'lavenders', i can't stand these sad excuses for the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I saw this finally for sale, when I was grocery shopping this weekend. It smells pretty good (I sprayed my pants...!).
    Sounds like you were really enthusiastic about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Sounds like you were really enthusiastic about this one.
    You beat me to it (no pun intended).

"It’s called Lavender, Vanilla and Comfort" - why does the NY Times illustration use a Creed flaçon?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

A few might say "A more appropriate use for Creeds"
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Now if they would just add a bit of civet we could call it Jicky and be done with this rediculousness.