Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1

    Default Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Whether I've admitted it or not, I think all my frag purchases up until now were strongly influenced by the desire to be sexier or more appealing to girls. This lead to a very long list of frags that were discarded in disatisfaction. I've finally gotten to a point overall where I just can't care about that anymore or let it dictate who I am. I hadn't worn an EDT in months when a few days ago, when I was finally sickened by my deodorant sprays, it came to me that girls aside, it was important to me that I smell good.

    So when shopping for a few other things I stopped in the frag section at Nordstroms. Of the things I hadn't sampled in the past I checked out Prada - too sweet, Terre de Hermes - better than the Jardins IMO but not for me, and Equipage which on first sniff was like a jolt of recognition - this is it! A rather a princely bouquet of florals and spices. I didn't let myself get carried away on the initial impression, but sprayed some on skin for the real test. I then went into Sephora to look around and checked out Eau Sauvage which was nice and struck me as having a similar quality with Equipage, and I retried Guerlain Vetiver which seemed better and more refreshing than I'd remembered. There were a couple other too-sweet things that I sniffed at but I can't remember them now. As Equipage continued to open up, spreading out its melange of spices I resisted the temptation to head back to Nordstroms for a bottle. I left the mall but the drydown just kept getting better, I kept picking up this golden sillage, and it continued to evolve and it became duskier and smoky. I ended up going back for a bottle that night after dinner.

    After living with it for a few days I'd at that it a great frag when you are relaxed and in a good mood. It is extemely smooth, but the unabashed richness of its notes give one an unmistakable sense of being perfumed - in the old world aristocratic sense of the word. It requires nice clothes and nice shoes - no shorts or flip flops. It would be like wearing the crown jewels with jeans. It is too rich and heady to be worn without a certain gravitas.

    As an aside, it was this that made me understand a large part of the rise of aquatics: they are the fragrance equivalent of logo T-shirts and blue jeans in our casual wear culture.

    I ended tossing everything else in the bin, from AXE and RGX to Guerlains and Diors. No crying: it was mostly just samples and decants that hadn't met my foolish attempts to be sexier. I now have the novelty of just a single bottle of EDT, but I won't pretend that it will be my only frag or that it defines me in any way. We'll call it a new beginning.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Whether I've admitted it or not, I think all my frag purchases up until now were strongly influenced by the desire to be sexier or more appealing to girls. This lead to a very long list of frags that were discarded in disatisfaction. I've finally gotten to a point overall where I just can't care about that anymore or let it dictate who I am. I hadn't worn an EDT in months when a few days ago, when I was finally sickened by my deodorant sprays, it came to me that girls aside, it was important to me that I smell good.

    So when shopping for a few other things I stopped in the frag section at Nordstroms. Of the things I hadn't sampled in the past I checked out Prada - too sweet, Terre de Hermes - better than the Jardins IMO but not for me, and Equipage which on first sniff was like a jolt of recognition - this is it! A rather a princely bouquet of florals and spices. I didn't let myself get carried away on the initial impression, but sprayed some on skin for the real test. I then went into Sephora to look around and checked out Eau Sauvage which was nice and struck me as having a similar quality with Equipage, and I retried Guerlain Vetiver which seemed better and more refreshing than I'd remembered. There were a couple other too-sweet things that I sniffed at but I can't remember them now. As Equipage continued to open up, spreading out its melange of spices I resisted the temptation to head back to Nordstroms for a bottle. I left the mall but the drydown just kept getting better, I kept picking up this golden sillage, and it continued to evolve and it became duskier and smoky. I ended up going back for a bottle that night after dinner.

    After living with it for a few days I'd at that it a great frag when you are relaxed and in a good mood. It is extemely smooth, but the unabashed richness of its notes give one an unmistakable sense of being perfumed - in the old world aristocratic sense of the word. It requires nice clothes and nice shoes - no shorts or flip flops. It would be like wearing the crown jewels with jeans. It is too rich and heady to be worn without a certain gravitas.

    As an aside, it was this that made me understand a large part of the rise of aquatics: they are the fragrance equivalent of logo T-shirts and blue jeans in our casual wear culture.

    I ended tossing everything else in the bin, from AXE and RGX to Guerlains and Diors. No crying: it was mostly just samples and decants that hadn't met my foolish attempts to be sexier. I now have the novelty of just a single bottle of EDT, but I won't pretend that it will be my only frag or that it defines me in any way. We'll call it a new beginning.
    Great post, Carlos. There is no doubt that women will now find you sexier than ever.

    Good observation too about the rise of the aquatics.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    I strongly agree with you Eluard, absolutely great post Carlos. Wear what makes you feel good and sexy and confident.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

  4. #4

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Carlos,
    Good stuff, man! You've graduated.

    And yes, your self-assurance will attract the ladies more than trying to second-guess and chase them.

    Dave

  5. #5
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,559

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Great post - I love discovering new scents that not only go against what I'm 'supposed' to like but also scents that I enjoy simply for singular personal reasons and experiences

    I want to resniff Equipage now...I've forgotten what it smelled like.

  6. #6
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,820

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Well you're doin pretty good because Équipage is a great one that women also like. You can wear it anytime. No rules other than don't wear too much.

  7. #7
    Thrax
    Guest

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Start saving your money...

  8. #8

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Thanks guys. I'll remain skeptical on the subject of girls , but at this point I have to do my own thing even if all three billion of them turn their noses up at it. I literally threw away most of my wardrobe and shoes recently and just got what I wanted. A new frag was one of the finishing touches.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Great post! And insightful comment on the rise of aquatics...
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

    =

    current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

  10. #10

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    What a great post. Hopefully one of us will remember to link to this thread next time someone starts a "What scents do [insert gender preference] dig/like/prefer?" thread.

    Wear what you like what makes you feel confident and comfortable. Decide for yourself but take reviews with a grain of salt. One person's no-star fragrance is another person's five-star favorite.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    I went through the same revelation awhile back. You start appreciating fragrance in general a lot more when you stop making yourself wear things that you don't really like. I, for instance, kept forcing myself to wear vanilla scents thinking that they were somehow sexier than others. I HATE VANILLA!

    Have fun branching out!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  12. #12

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    As an aside, it was this that made me understand a large part of the rise of aquatics: they are the fragrance equivalent of logo T-shirts and blue jeans in our casual wear culture.
    Interesting post, indeed. However, I'm not sure about this. Consider the (certainly small) amount of niche-aquatics, like Erolfa (Creed). I cannot get away from appreciating creations like this as a concept of p e r f u m e r y, not a representation of "casual wear culture" (a phrase which you certainly meant in a pejorative way, if I got you right). Regarding "mediocre" aquatics, the one's we all (believe to)know (because of their popularity and their "simplicity" which generally seems to be connotated rather negatively), I'm completely with you.
    Last edited by DesGrieux; 2nd April 2007 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Grammar

  13. #13

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    you shouldn't have discarded all the other stuff though!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Great decision... it always shows when someone is trying too hard, and your newly relaxed attitude sounds far more comfortable, not just for you, but for others to be around

  15. #15

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Well done Carlos! Self confidence is much sexier than Kouros.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    if i saw a confident girl and went up to her and stunk like crap because she decided to rebel from generally liked perfume, I would walk away.

    People can't tell "unique" cologne anyway. Go ahead...girls in the majority say "he smells good" not "he smells like creed GIT" or something. they think "smells good" or "stinks" simple as that.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    they think "smells good" or "stinks" simple as that.
    What a shame. I don't like such girls.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    What a shame. I don't like such girls.
    Hate to tell you, but the world is full of girls like that. Well actually a lot of guys are like that too.

    I think basenoters are rare and a very small percentage of the population.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Excellent post! I've always felt perfume was really personal, as in, I like it, I'll wear it. Heck, no one chooses my underwear, why should I let anyone decide my perfume!
    De gustibus non est disputandum

  20. #20

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    And let's hear it for Equipage too! One of the best!

    I wonder if anyone has ever uttered the following sentence: "Equipage is da bomb diggety, yo."
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

    CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:




  21. #21

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    And let's hear it for Equipage too! One of the best!

    I wonder if anyone has ever uttered the following sentence: "Equipage is da bomb diggety, yo."
    I think that is a new one.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Quote Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
    Great post, Carlos. There is no doubt that women will now find you sexier than ever.

    Good observation too about the rise of the aquatics.
    +1. Good work Carlos.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Great post. I think you're right on about the mainstream aquatic fragrances. It's funny that I've never thought about it quite like that before.

  24. #24
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,748

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Screw sexy - Sexy happens when a guy is confident and alive. Anyone looking to substitute confidence with a fragrance is on the express route to rejection.

    I've never bought a fragrance with anyone in mind except myself. Now when my ex used to say that she didn't like one of my frags, I'd just make a little mental note of it and remember not to wear that around her...and another mental note that she has no idea what the hell she's talking about.

    There are a few I own that I'd use if I was going to try to obtain some female companionship (Hugh Parsons instantly comes to mind, given it's great compliment "track record"), but as far as buying something with the intent of wearing it to make other people like me...that's backward thinking! - - - My awesomeness radiates from within!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  25. #25

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Screw sexy - Sexy happens when a guy is confident and alive. Anyone looking to substitute confidence with a fragrance is on the express route to rejection.

    I've never bought a fragrance with anyone in mind except myself. Now when my ex used to say that she didn't like one of my frags, I'd just make a little mental note of it and remember not to wear that around her...and another mental note that she has no idea what the hell she's talking about.

    There are a few I own that I'd use if I was going to try to obtain some female companionship (Hugh Parsons instantly comes to mind, given it's great compliment "track record"), but as far as buying something with the intent of wearing it to make other people like me...that's backward thinking! - - - My awesomeness radiates from within!
    Right on.

  26. #26
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Personal epiphanies are good to go man. Juice doesn't "make" you anything. It simply smells good or it doesn't. You don't need a scent to be anything more than what you already are.

    Equipage is a favorite. Eau de Patou smells eerily similar to me.

  27. #27
    Morning Star

    Astaroth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    West Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,015

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    As an aside, it was this that made me understand a large part of the rise of aquatics: they are the fragrance equivalent of logo T-shirts and blue jeans in our casual wear culture.
    Interesting post, indeed. However, I'm not sure about this. Consider the (certainly small) amount of niche-aquatics, like Erolfa (Creed). I cannot get away from appreciating creations like this as a concept of p e r f u m e r y, not a representation of "casual wear culture" (a phrase which you certainly meant in a pejorative way, if I got you right).
    I agree with DesGrieux here. There is nothing that prevents aquatics from being considered as part of the haute culture of perfumery, despite whatever trend might be active at a certain point in fragrance history. My Profumum Acqua di Sale, or the i Profumi di Firenze Brezza di Mare I'm thinking of getting soon, are not any less enjoyable aquatics for me just because teenage boys in Los Angeles clubs like bathing in Acqua di Giò, or because the fragrance industry decides to push the envelope in this category for 5 to 10 years. If one reads the negative reviews of Acqua di Giò, virtually all of them cite the popularity and "overuse" of the fragrance, and many go so far as to insult those who wear it. But this doesn't make it smell any less enjoyable. Smell is (or should be) too basic and primal an experience to be influenced in this way. Are you planning on not enjoying the Missionary position anymore just because it might be the most popular one.

    Carlos, I think the fact that you threw out some of the fragrances is more indicative that you might have had overly high expectations of them. They're just fragrances; they aren't meant to be a major component of your attractiveness. They just provide a nice "extra something" to go along with the package. The fact that you like them should always be the determining factor.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 29th November 2008 at 08:20 AM.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    I'm too sexy for my colognes.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    I hear ya, Carlos. I realized awhile back when I really started to have an affinity for the CK One and Tommy H Summer editions, that "sexy" just wasnt in the cards for me after that point. But damn, they really do smell good!
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

  30. #30

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Grant, give this man an honorary fifth star! He 'gets it'.

    Well done, Carlos. Possibly the best and most insightful post I've read in months.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

  31. #31

    Default Re: Finally stopped trying to be sexy...

    Great post, Carlos!

Similar Threads

  1. Suggestions for a fresh, sexy frag!
    By Tanzfreak24 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 30th September 2008, 12:34 PM
  2. Very Sexy 2: Get It Cheap Now
    By ToughCool in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th June 2008, 02:13 PM
  3. REMINDER ::: Sniff-n-Speak Saturday, Jan. 6>>>ORIENTALS
    By Quarry in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 10th February 2007, 12:46 AM
  4. But what is the word .....SEXY.....
    By Markinlondon in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16th September 2006, 10:36 AM
  5. 212 Sexy...a better choice for me that Chanel
    By Carribeanblue79 in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31st March 2006, 12:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •