Code of Conduct

Default A bounty of discontinued frags!

Several weeks ago a manager at a local shop, seeing my interest in finding older and discontinued frags, offered to help me track down some of them. I made a list of about 40 frags and gave it to him. He in turn copied the list and gave it to several salesmen friends of his who make the rounds to all the shops in the region.

I expected that they might find one or two a week or several a month, but he called me today and rattled off a whole list of frags, so many that I couldn't keep track of them all.

I went to his shop today after work and picked up bottles of:

Patou Pour Homme
    Ungaro I
    Ungaro II
    Balenciaga Pour Homme
    Aramis JHL
    Nina Ricci Signoricci 2
    Nina Ricci Phileas
    Romeo Gigli Sud Est
    Guerlain Derby
    Lancome Sagamore
    Nicole Miller for Men
    Bogart Furyo (a set with edt, after shave, soap, and deodorant)
    Donna Karan Men Unleaded
    Alain Delon AD Plus

I was shocked that they had found so many so quickly, and since I had already promised him that I would buy any that he found, forked over the dough. I hadn't planned to spend so much at one time, but felt obligated and also wanted to take advantage of this great opportunity to get these rare frags.

Since I coughed up so much money he threw in two free bottles of Yatagan after shave (the older bottle style, not the newer one) and a free bottle of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme.

Now I'm wondering what the next few weeks will bring. There are still about 25 frags left on my list. They might be able to keep up the pace but I'm not sure that I can

I'll try to post some comments about some of these frags once I get a chance to try them out.

It's been an expensive day, but a great one as far as frags go!

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 2nd April 2007 at 06:18 PM.

Default Re: A bounty of discontinued frags!

I'm so jealous!

I really need to make some well-connected fragrance distributing friends....

Same here,just scored some at Jasina in Singapore:
    Furyo(still a couple of bottles left at the store)
    Balenciaga PH(two left)
    Hohang Club(two left)
    Krizia Spazio(none left)
    Original Jazz in plastic bottle
    Dunhill Blend 20
    Carven Vetiver Dry
    Kouros Fracheur(almost none existent to South East Asia)
    Obsession for Men(stopped being imported to South East Asia)
    Zino Davidoff(stopped being imported to South East Asia)
    Nicole Miller for Men
    Rochas Macassar(almost impossible to find in South East Asia)

I didn't get the chance to get Dior Jules.
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Yes, that sounds like an expensive day, Noggs, but you bought really great stuff! Sud Est, Signoricci 2, and Derby, not to mention the Patou and Sagamore, man, you scored big time. You've now got a collection to inspire envy.

I look forward to your reviews and thoughts as you wear these greats.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

How much did you spend on the Patou? -- if you don't mind me asking. Please disregard if it's too intrusive.

UngerWoo,

Regarding the price for the Patou, it was $35 for a 90ml bottle. I've already asked him if he could find more

The guy just added up the marked prices on each bottle and gave me the total. Since most of the bottles had been sitting around for a while most of the prices were kind of old, too

Normally, if I were buying stuff from the shop I'd get a good discount off the marked prices. But since these bottles came from various shops in various cities that wasn't possible. But the guys did a lot of legwork to find this stuff for me, so it was worth it.

BTW, the Signoricci 2 is the old one in the tall, round Lalique bottle.

noggs

noggs,

That is just too cool for school! Congratulations on getting some superb scents on the relative cheap though, yes, I imagine overall it was a noticeable "hit" on your wallet. I am fortunate to have nearly everything on your list, though from the sounds of it at steeper prices than you've been afforded. From your list, I find Patou PH, Nicole Miller for Men, Sud Est, and Signoricci 2 to be the real standouts from a wearability standpoint, and I am also interested to hear of your impressions with these classic scents.

Jeff

Your biggest score was the Nina Ricci Phileus. Rare, indeed. I spent years looking for my bottle.

The others are available--at a price, of course. Contrary to popular opinion, JHL is widely available, including my local Nordy's.

Congrats on some wonderful finds!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Talking Re: A bounty of discontinued frags!

Ummm.. Noggs? Where exactly do you live, and what nights won't you be home and don't forget those nights to leave your front door open, OK?!

Dayum! You hit paydirt! WTG!
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Ummm.. Noggs? Where exactly do you live, and what nights won't you be home and don't forget those nights to leave your front door open, OK?!

Dayum! You hit paydirt! WTG!
    I was thinking the same thing! Time to pull the dark face paint and commando-pants out and we can all raid Noggs's house. I got dibs on the Derby.

Next month we do Abimanyu's.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Stranger,

The guy told me he could get another bottle of Phileas if I wanted it. The price is $30. I'll check it out and if I like it (of course I will!) I'll think about getting the other bottle.

The one bottle of JHL they found for me is the only one I've ever seen. Markets are different. For example, Dior Jules, which many people in other countries have difficulty finding, is available at nearly every shop here. Also, the original Jil Sander Man Pure is still widely available here, but scarce in most places. But JHL is very rare here.

noggs

Colour me jealous!!! Chris, sign me up for the commando raid: I think I can dig up a man from U.N.C.L.E. shoulder holster and P39 from somewhere.

Tonight we ride!
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter they are known as liars.