Code of Conduct

Question Sense of smell sharper in the morning?

I definitely do not think this is in my imagination.

I've noticed that my sense of smell is most sharp about half an hour after a wake up. Throughout the day, it's fine, but at night I can barely smell anything. Sometimes I cannot make out the notes or even smell fragrances that I know have strong sillage.

I've had sinus problems in the past but I don't know if this is related.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is this common? Does the nose get tired as the day wears on?
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Default Re: Sense of smell sharper in the morning?

I can´t speak out of own experience, but I remember reading in some magazine that the sense of smell sharpens througout the day, and is optimal in the evening. The same article said that bc of that, you should wear stronger scents during the day, and weaker/less applied for the evening.
    To me, that really doesn´t make sense, but I´m sure we´ll be enlightened on this topic...
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I think you do get used to your perfume over the course of the day, and it also wears off to a certain extent. Usually I'll be very aware of what I'm wearing during my trip to work (which involves a train and a half hour walk) but then actively have to sniff myself to get anything after that. I then notice it again in the evening when I'm doing hard exercise which raises my body temperature. I usually apply my perfume to the centre of my chest as it tends to rub off my arms after a few hours. Then it can waft up when I'm running or whatever.

When you're talking about your sensitivity I am assuming you mean not just to fragrance but to everything in our surroundings that assaults our olfactory nerves???!! :bounce: 'Cause there is the element of olfactory fatigue when it comes to scents - one reason why it is suggested that you not to try sampling too many different frags at one time....even with the "coffee bean or woolen scarf" neutralizers recommended.

I haven't discovered any "pattern" to smell-ability in myself. But it is affected by: climate/temperature, general health and so forth. Now I'll start noticing time-of-day!! I generally have to "re-load", depending on the longevity of the frag, more than once during the day.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quick question: Do you find the "evening olafactory fatigue" is greater in the spring and fall? Or in hot weather if you leave windows open rather than using air conditioning, and/or in cold weather if your home is "snug"? If so, it could be allergies, particularly to trees, grasses and dust respectively.

Trees exude their pollen at night, and I think most other plants do, too. I know that allergists recommend keeping the windows shut at night in all seasons but winter, and using air conditioning. I personally hate this, the ecologically minded part of me is screaming, "WHAT'S WRONG WITH FRESH AIR?!?" but sadly (from experience) I have to agree that it helps! Especially on those nights in spring when I get up the next morning and find a pale green powder of pollen dusting everything outside and even stuck/sprinkled on the screens of our home's windows.

If you're getting *really* congested, you might want to check in with an allergist, just to be sure.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

What I find interesting is that I notice my fragrance when I wake up (either in the morning, middle of the night, or after a nap). Apparently the brain doesn't connect with the sense of smell while sleeping.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    Quick question: Do you find the "evening olafactory fatigue" is greater in the spring and fall? Or in hot weather if you leave windows open rather than using air conditioning, and/or in cold weather if your home is "snug"? If so, it could be allergies, particularly to trees, grasses and dust respectively.

Trees exude their pollen at night, and I think most other plants do, too. I know that allergists recommend keeping the windows shut at night in all seasons but winter, and using air conditioning. I personally hate this, the ecologically minded part of me is screaming, "WHAT'S WRONG WITH FRESH AIR?!?" but sadly (from experience) I have to agree that it helps! Especially on those nights in spring when I get up the next morning and find a pale green powder of pollen dusting everything outside and even stuck/sprinkled on the screens of our home's windows.

If you're getting *really* congested, you might want to check in with an allergist, just to be sure.
    I do have allergies to dust and mold and do suffer from seasonal allergies (in the fall rather than the spring). My windows have been closed since the fall.

I do think you are onto something though ComDiva. My cousin once told me of the dawn and dusk phenomena. Apparently, the atmosphere changes most during the rising and setting of the sun, and these changes in the air and air quality can cause allergy symptoms (he coughs and clears his throat for about half an hour every dusk).

Last night when I posted (around 9:30pm, way past dusk here), I newly sprayed Tabac Blond on one wrist and Joy on the other (trying to figure out this layering thing, but that's another story ) and I could not even smell either one. I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, around 3am, and could smell both then. Bizarre.

Now, I'm fine and smelling my Apres L'Ondee very well.

Maybe it's just me, but I'll be monitoring this tonight.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

I would agree with the morning = sharper... Or maybe it's not in the receptors, but in the sensitivity. I'm generally very sensitive in the morning, when I get out of bed, I don't want to hear any radio or smell anything or read or whatever... it is too annoying. My senses and the whole me needs some time to switch from night mode to day mode.
    I think it depends on whether you're a lark, jumping enthusiasticaly out of the bed early and immediately ready to work, or an owl. I'm an owl. Watching me waking and getting up is like watching a zombie rising from the grave after thousand years of resting.