Code of Conduct

Default The new Mitouko: not so bad after all!

See the expert's verdict:

Luca Turin in Folio of April 2 2007

http://www.nzzfolio.ch/www/21b625ad-...672b2bac9.aspx
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd April 2007 at 04:39 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Default Re: The new Mitouko: not so bad after all!

An interesting read - funny too (especially the bits about the violinists!)

He does say that it smells a tad different though, but to his nose its still compelling.
    -

How big was the cheque hidden in the bottom of the Mitsouko box, do you think ?...

Quote Originally Posted by Manderley View Post
    How big was the cheque hidden in the bottom of the Mitsouko box, do you think ?...
    Can't be bigger than the one Chanel handed him for the exclusifs ..
    -

I sampled the new Mitsouko several times now, and I think it's beautiful. I'm not a Mitsouko connoisseur, so I'm looking forward to read how others compare this new version to older formulations. I've never done a side-by-side comparison myself, but the new edt seems to work really well on my skin. I hope this doesn't sound like blasphemy, but I don't feel the urge to stock up on old bottles (which is what I did with the pre-LVMH Vetiver).

More thoughts?
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    He says what he thinks. Perfume houses have never been fond of him. It's widely known that he isn't paid for his reviews, nor would he take it if they offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Manderley View Post

I don't see how you can even begin to make this assumption. Turin was singlehandedly responsible for making public Guerlain's initial compromise with regard to reformulations. If you look at his NZZ Folio articles, one can trace a very public disagreement with Guerlain and an extraordinarily embarrassing one at that. When he needs to, Turin doesn't pull his punches. What, he can't like something without everyone casting suspicions on his character?

I don't see where this facile cynicism is coming from, but then again no one ever needed a good reason for posting.

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    I don't see how you can even begin to make this assumption. Turin was singlehandedly responsible for making public Guerlain's initial compromise with regard to reformulations. If you look at his NZZ Folio articles, one can trace a very public disagreement with Guerlain and an extraordinarily embarrassing one at that. When he needs to, Turin doesn't pull his punches. What, he can't like something without everyone casting suspicions on his character?

I don't see where this facile cynicism is coming from, but then again no one ever needed a good reason for posting.

scentemental
    I dont know whether you read the Chanel Exclusifs article or not, but it was very over the top (A revolution in perfumery, best colognes ever, etc.). But then yea, you are right, he can post whatever he wants because its his article(s). The Mitsouko article reads better and provides a measured comparison between the old and new formulations instead of blind favoritism.
    -

I don't know if I'm reading the article right, but is there yet ANOTHER reformulation coming or his he speaking of the one we've had now a year or so?
    Last edited by shifts; 3rd April 2007 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts View Post
    I don't know if I'm reading the article right, but is there yet ANOTHER reformulation coming or his he speking of the one we've had now a year or so?
    He is talking about a finished project, a mission that had been stretching out for years but is now considered as completed, I thought.
    (1) [cheque...] "can't be bigger than the one Chanel handed him for the exclusifs .."

(2) "...the Mitsouko article reads better and provides a measured comparison between the old and new formulations instead of blind favoritism."
    It's good to read that you can do more than spread mean suspicions and rumors. But whether it's blind criticism, or your measured acknowledgement of the true capacities in our world - you mostly sound like a dog barking at the moon! And it just happens to be full today...
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd April 2007 at 04:34 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Talking Re: The new Mitouko: not so bad after all!

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

scentemental

Well isn't it funny ! Could you please read what you posted again ? You have just listed all the good reasons why it makes sense to question how unbiased his opinion is !

To be honest, by posting before I only wanted to be "the devil's advocate" and show I for one found his restored, and not just a little so, respect for Guerlain a tad surprising, precisely after HE was the one to start a battle with the old house. I mean, don't you really, really think it is strange he should suddenly regard the new Mitsouko so good it might be even better than the original one ?... Maybe it is. After all, that would be good news.

But please continue reading his reviews religiously. If you don't mind, I will keep taking them with a grain of salt--and seeing what passionate reactions they initiate, and how willing everyone is to believe whatever he says without the slightest hint of doubt, I might even make that two grains... (correction : I may not want to put too much salt in that, that might ruin the new, better version of Mitsouko ;-)

Thumbs up Re: The new Mitouko: not so bad after all!

Thanks for the link Narcus.
    I wore the original formula all last week and it was gorgeous. Unfortunately, I ran out of the decant. With trepidation I tried on the new formula. It's not as deep as the original and the sillage has been noticeably toned down, but I'm happy to say, it's still the legendary Mitsouko! Mysterious smoke and fruit.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 3rd April 2007 at 09:29 AM.