Code of Conduct
    Dependent

Default Oliver Creed Eau De Cologne For Men, Vintage Rare

240ML
    YOU ARE BIDDING ON A NEW FULL BOTTLE OF OLIVER CREED EAU DE COLOGNE FOR MEN, 8 OZ FULL BOTTLE, IN ORIGINAL BOX.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLIVER-CREED-240...ILF%3AUS%3A102

anyone ever seen one like this? The name is spelled Olivier on Box and bottle and the crossed swords are there but I never heard of a cologne before.

Default Re: Oliver Creed Eau De Cologne For Men, Vintage Rare

LoL it looks like the result of bottle sex between the Creed and L'Artisan flacons
    -

Can we all say "fake" together? Dude, that is a questionable purchase. If it were legitimate, which it is not, the bottle would not look like that. You can bid on it, but you might as well flush your money down the toilet, or send it to me. I would love to get my hands on another bottle of Himalaya!
    Last edited by Maz24; 4th April 2007 at 01:23 AM.

Dependent

I have no intention of bidding. I thought maybe, well.... thats why I came here. I'll keep it on my radar. I think the seller is in Tijuana.

Don't know about historical creeds but the guy has quite a few other ancient ones that look legit to me. Lanvin, Gres, Balenciaga, there's quite a treasure trove here. I'm a little concerned about the odd quantities in a lot of the bottles, though. Looks like evaporation and that almost always means turned product. Still,

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    Can we all say "fake" together? Dude, that is a questionable purchase. If it were legitimate, which it is not, Oliver's name would at least be spelled correctly. The bottle would not look like that either. You can bid on it, but you might as well flush your money down the toilet, or send it to me. I would love to get my hands on another bottle of Himalaya!
    There is an Olivier Creed

http://www.creedfragrances.co.uk/sit...e/ios_mar_2003
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I still doubt that that is a real bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    I still doubt that that is a real bottle.
    I don't know why anyone would go through the trouble of making a fake obscure bottle. Creed has been around for a long time. They probably have had different bottle styles and limited editions that we haven't heard about.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!

He does seem to have a lot of old but legitimate looking stuff...

Ok I changed my mind. This is definitely fake. No one should bid on it. (except for me)

I cant tell whether its real or not. The only way to know is to email Creed at their official US site. Oh btw, they told me that Creed Bois De Santal from their private collection is exclusive to Saks in nyc and Harrods haute perfumery (or something like that) in London.

I recall there being another Creed fragrance I saw on Ebay 1.5 years ago..."Bois De Rhodes" ... didnt know if it was fake.
    -

...i find the "housing" quite interesting....very .."vintage"....perhaps a very famous..." artiste " has been involved...or maybe we are all just fools!!!!

Dependent

who was the nose before Olivier? could this be a first cologne for young Olivier to get the hang of things?

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    who was the nose before Olivier? could this be a first cologne for young Olivier to get the hang of things?
    From what I know, Zesta Mandarin Pample-pimp was olivier's first fragrance. I asked the seller about the origins of this frag and heres what he replied:

"HI, THIS SHOULD BE FROM WAY BEFORE THE 80'S OR EVEN 70'S, MY GRANDPARENTS HAD A PERFUME STORE FROM 1928 TO 1986, AND THIS IS ONE OF THE OLDEST COLOGNE'S I'VE FOUND IN THE WAREHOUSE, AND I HAVE JUST FOUND FOUR, THREE OF THEM WHERE EMPTY AND THIS IS THE ONLY ONE FULL. THANKS, FOR ASKING, THEIMPORTSGUY. "
    -

The guy who runs the European Imports Store inherited all of the fragrances from his grandfather who had an imports store from 1928 -1986. The grandson is selling everything that was left in the warehouse. He doesn't know anything about perfume. He has stuff that goes back to the sixties. He's a cool guy and will refund your money if you don't like the product. I'd bet the bottle is real. Whether or not its been stored properly is another question.

I've purchased items from theimportguy before, no worries of the authenticity. How these fumes have been stored is another matter...Caveat emptor might be too strong of language, but use your head (eyes).

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    "...AND THIS IS ONE OF THE OLDEST COLOGNE'S I'VE FOUND..."
    Sounds interesting, but I have a strong policy against buying things from people who pluralize words by using an apostrophe.

All kidding aside, it seems someone wouldn't go through the trouble of aging a box like that just to pawn off some fake juice. I'd be interesting to see what this is all about.

yes, there is a distinctly '60s vibe to this packaging. Anyone today wishing to make fake Creed probably would make their bottle and box a bit more true to the present's. Or is that using reverse psychology on reverse psychology?

While not being familiar with 1960s Creed product or potential spin-offs, there is something about this which seems like a real deal to me. At least very much from that time period. Maybe there was a lower-priced line that was extremely short-lived. Something about the packaging seems a bit down-market: "cologne for man?" It's like a foray into mass-production. If it is a fake, it definitely doesn't seem like a contemporary fake. Where are the fragrance historians out there? Maybe this is historical as the first of the Creed frauds!

On kind of a different note though, I'm surprised how much effort fakers put into the bottle and packaging of ersatz Creed anyways. Wouldn't their efforts be more profitable making fake Rolexes? Seems like a LOT of work striving for a reasonable facsimile without a high profit margin.

Dependent

I'd like to see what's printed in black inside the oval. You can read Paris at the bottom.
    This is also called Olivier Creed possibly an in house variation that escaped.
    Olivier's first bespoke cologne?
    I don't know. I do know if it came from Creed it must have more historical value than $35.00. Maybe I'll wait to the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    The guy who runs the European Imports Store inherited all of the fragrances from his grandfather who had an imports store from 1928 -1986. The grandson is selling everything that was left in the warehouse. He doesn't know anything about perfume. He has stuff that goes back to the sixties. He's a cool guy and will refund your money if you don't like the product. I'd bet the bottle is real. Whether or not its been stored properly is another question.
    I second all of this. I've talked with him (I think his name is Jaime) a few times and he's quite open about where his items came from, how they've been stored, etc. As Pluran noted, condition is definitely a risk, but not authenticity. Given how reasonable some of the prices are; I'd say it might be worth the risk, especially considering he'll make good on them if they have turned. I ordered a few discontinued Lubins from him and will post here when they've arrived as to condition and such.

As for fakes, I think a dose of reality is good here because the Creedy-hysterics can run a little high. Being a smart consumer can help you find/distinguish fakes much more than just saying, "I've never heard of it, it's on ebay, so it must be fake!" and then posting incorrect information like happened on the first page.

The general rule to remember is that counterfeiters are there to make money (plain and simple) and so fake the goods that will sell the most easily. An unknown Creed fragrance like "Olivier Creed EdC" will never sell as quickly as a fake of GIT, so they don't bother. Hell, fake Sean John will sell more than Olivier Creed EdC. Likewise, a fake LV bag will sell a lot faster than a fake Valextra, even though Valextra is a much nicer, more exclusive and expensive bag. But, because nobody has heard of it, counterfeiters don't bother.

So, my advice is that we think these things through before jumping on the "it's fake!" banner. Let's do our homework or check into these things first.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 11th April 2007 at 03:01 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Dependent

it sold for $99.00 and there was one bidder.

it sold for $99.00 and there was one bidder.
    ...and were you the bidder, fred?

I'd like to email the winner just to find out what it smells like...

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post
    As for fakes, I think a dose of reality is good here because the Creedy-hysterics can run a little high. Being a smart consumer can help you find fakes much more than just saying, "I've never heard of it, it's on ebay, so it must be fake!" and then posting incorrect information like happened on the first page.

The general rule to remember is that counterfeiters are there to make money (plain and simple) and so fake the goods that will sell the most easily. An unknown Creed fragrance like "Olivier Creed EdC" will never sell as quickly as a fake of GIT, so they don't bother. Hell, fake Sean John will sell more than Olivier Creed EdC. Likewise, a fake LV bag will sell a lot faster than a fake Valextra, even though Valextra is a much nicer, more exclusive and expensive bag. But, because nobody has heard of it, counterfeiters don't bother.

So, my advice is that we think these things through before jumping on the "it's fake!" banner. Let's do our homework or checking into these things first.
    this is an unidentified fragrant object for now.

I was hoping to find out more about the bottles provenance. It may not be an ebayers fake. It may have been faked 50 years ago in Europe and wound up with "the import guy".
    From what I've read Olivier is the number one nose in Paris (the world?) because he can rattle off the notes of a perfume which has been disguised and sprayed before him. The idea that he had to rattle off all the notes before all the droplets hit the floor I am a bit leery of.
    And he had to start somewhere.
    I wonder who the buyer is. Basenoter?
    --------------------------------------
    I just emailed him to ask whether he had ever seen this product before and whether he could tell me when it was made. If he's engaging we might learn something. There's also the chance that he'll tell me to stuff it in my hat. Oh yea I told him where basenotes is and that a few people are curious.. Maybe he'll be amenable to decanting a bit.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 11th April 2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

oh SHIT. I would have loved to have that.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

How come it was sold for $99 when there was only one bidder and the starting bid was $39 ?
    -

How come it was sold for $99 when there was only one bidder and the starting bid was $39 ?
    The Minimum Bid Price has been revised at 04 of April.
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

I emailed Matt at ParfumsRaffy about this and he said that he forwarded it on to Olivier himself....No word on the response though yet.
    If I get one I'll post the jist here.

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22 View Post
    I emailed Matt at ParfumsRaffy about this and he said that he forwarded it on to Olivier himself....No word on the response though yet.
    If I get one I'll post the jist here.
    Thanks; I'm curious to see what you can find out.

It happens I really like the bottle design. I sure want it to be a long forgotten rich uncle of a scent and no fake.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Dependent

I'm still curious about how it got to Tijuana so...

I emailed the buyer

"Hi
    I'd like to ask if you had ever seen an Olivier Creed bottle before. we've been discussing this bottle on basenotes.com where fragrances are discussed. We're all stumped having never seen one before.
    It seems rather unique and I was wondering if you had an idea of when it was made.
    Thanks
    Gary"

and got back an answer...

from the UK

"nope! I've not got a clue unfortunetly,I have not managed to find out anything about this frag.Regards Ian""

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post
    . I ordered a few discontinued Lubins from him and will post here when they've arrived as to condition and such.
    Got my order today; packaged safely, posted quickly,and (best of all) the juice is still good. The vintage Chanel no. 19 I got from him in the old formulation is worth it by itself; the fact I also was able to get some older Lubin just makes it even better.

Just got an update on this from Creed USA. The query went all the way to Olivier Creed who personally replied to this query. Yes, its the real thing, and it once housed Selection Verte. Here's the reply from Creed USA:

I write you to convey a correction of earlier information we provided concerning the fragrance container seen in the attached photo. You had inquired about the container's authenticity.

Mr. CREED contacted us today to say that, despite earlier recollections to the contrary, this particular style of container was briefly used to hold CREED Selection Verte in the year 1965. Mr. CREED was in his early 20's at that time and was still completing his university studies, and I'm sorry to say the container was not immediately recognized by him when he saw it recently. As you know, Mr. CREED's father was master perfumer and CEO of CREED in 1965.

The container is indeed authentic, according to our research and archives, and I apologize for the error.
    -

Dependent

I'm so happy that you stuck to this and persevered! I was very curious about the bottles provenance and have seen it on ebay once or twice since, Congratulations ZZ!!!!

I'm so happy that you stuck to this and persevered! I was very curious about the bottles provenance and have seen it on ebay once or twice since, Congratulations ZZ!!!!
    I had actually forgotten about it but just got an email today so I decided to share it before some of us went on a crazy bidding war over a bottle of Selection Verte.
    -

Thanks Zz! Great to get news like this shared.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Dependent

for a Creed collector especially the purist this just became a very valuble bottle. The trail will lead back here I would imagine.
    I thought they were blatant fakes when I first saw them.

Nice work ZZ

Just got an update on this from Creed USA. The query went all the way to Olivier Creed who personally replied to this query. Yes, its the real thing, and it once housed Selection Verte. Here's the reply from Creed USA:

I write you to convey a correction of earlier information we provided concerning the fragrance container seen in the attached photo. You had inquired about the container's authenticity.

Mr. CREED contacted us today to say that, despite earlier recollections to the contrary, this particular style of container was briefly used to hold CREED Selection Verte in the year 1965. Mr. CREED was in his early 20's at that time and was still completing his university studies, and I'm sorry to say the container was not immediately recognized by him when he saw it recently. As you know, Mr. CREED's father was master perfumer and CEO of CREED in 1965.

The container is indeed authentic, according to our research and archives, and I apologize for the error.
    Interesting. What I don't understand is that the flacon carries Olivier's name - if his father was boss. I thought OC's first was Acier Aluminium in 1973? I also thought Selection Verte dates from 1970?
    I was thinking that maybe this bottle was from the time that Olivier was launching Creed as a public perfume brand and before he had the brilliant idea of grafting the tailoring history of Creed, royal warrants and all, onto his basically newly invented perfume house.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Interesting. What I don't understand is that the flacon carries Olivier's name - if his father was boss.
    Perhaps a way to start promoting the next-generation perhaps, similar to how Erwin Creeds' name is tagged onto all the new Creed releases even though they are 95% composed by Olivier Creed ?

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I thought OC's first was Acier Aluminium in 1973? I also thought Selection Verte dates from 1970?
    OC's first was Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse (1975). 1970 was the date Selection Verte joined the permanent collection. Its an older fragrance (created by Henry Creed, OCs great-grandfather) which must have been offered in this 60s guise sometime in the past. It may also have been reformulated.
    -