Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: The Ava Luxe Experience!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah View Post
    Last night I took an Ambien for my chronic insomnia. When I woke up this morning I found my roll-on bottle of Love's True Bluish Light clutched in my hand. Empty. Apparently I'd applied what was left in the bottle (over 1/2 full) all over myself. I smelled like heaven, but I'm so mad that I used it all up! My husband saw me putting it on, too, while I was in my daze before falling completely asleep. He figured it was some kind of moisturizer so he didn't question me. Plus it smells so damn good, he didn't care. I'm going to order another bottle and hide it from myself!
    That is HILARIOUS!
    My house is lately awaft with Love's True Bluish Light - my daughter has her own bottle and matching body lotion....it doesn't work on my skin, but it smells divine on her.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

That is one very funny story.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles View Post
    I have, um, just a few Ava Luxe samples (embarrassed blushing - it looks like a long list, typed out like this).
    Believe me my dear, this is only a wee list, compared to what I know I have and suspect other Ava Luxe appreciators have too!

I would love to participate in Ava Luxe week, if there is room.
    Come in, come in! The more the merrier - this is an open house event! Just bring your samples along and join in the fun... :bounce:

Those of you who have been sampling, how do you find the lasting power to be on the Ava Luxe scents?
    Edited to add: Also, do you recommend the extrait/oil or the EDP for best sillage and lasting power?
    Superb lasting power! But I tend to cut to the chase and purchase the parfums as the EDPs don't have as much presence or last as long on me. But that may be due to my personal chemistry. I prefer deep, rich intense perfumes with strength and presence as my skin eats lighter scents for snacks. She also does Bath & Body products in the same scents so that you can layer for greater longevity...

I also happen to just adore parfums to EDPs anyway as I love the sensuality of dabbing parfum on pulse points rather than spraying.

Again, I have a hard time with delayed gratification. It is not my only fault, I'm afraid.
    You are not alone in this... :sigh:
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

ok I am done in!! I think I will have more than enough samples to do an entire Ava Luxe month!!

That darn coupon code was calling me...since I didn't know about it when I first ordered, I just HAD to go and use it on another batch of samples:-))

And Tovah, your story had me cracking up!!!
    Last edited by edain33; 17th April 2007 at 02:38 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezeweasel View Post
    I woke up after having taken Ambien once when I was doing my old, more glamorous job, to discover that at some point in the night I'd deleted an article I was working on for a deadline the next day (a sensible thing about an opera festival in Finland) and had replaced it with a very long, ungrammatical and barely readable screed about pickled herring and saunas. The old article wasn't even in the recycle bin - I appeared to have just written over it and saved. I don't remember writing the new one at all.
    :bounce:
    Laughed until I cried!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

My Ava Luxe samples arrived in the post this morning. The lovely little box seemed too small to hold them and I thought it must be a mistake, but the expert packing held them all in place within. Very nicely packaged. I have just had a sneak preview of the Rasa Xtreme, and it smells wonderful. Looking forward to next week.

Thank you very much Serena if you are reading this (confirmation email will follow later when I'm in the right account).

I must admit I did have a little dab of Rasa on my hand last night. Couldn't resist. I was a bit nervous of this scent's big musky reputation, but my initial impression was overwhelmingly of roses! I could smell the musk a bit later, but it was nice, like Musc Ravageur, and not skanky. Curious about the Xtreme now!
    Perhaps I am losing my horror of musks!
    Serena is definitely going to get some more custom from me... at $2 to the 1 I'd be stupid not to, eh?

I agree the Rasa is very rosey, but I don't find it at all like Musc Ravageur. I put only a small speard onto one finger (don't want to clash with SotD Desert Morocain). Obviously not getting the full effect yet; will leave that till next week.

No, the scent itself isn't similar at all. I just find the musk tolerable like the the MR musk. I've had this thing about hating musks, you see.

My samples are here! *happy dance* Will I be able to hold out till next week though?

You only have to hold out until Saturday. Actually I may start on Friday given I have two extra samples!!

Blog Entries

Countdown to beginning of the wildest fragrance ride! Just 2 days til the party begins!!! Woohoo!!

So, crazy ladies (and gentlemen), watcha gonna wear for the Ava luxe week? Any tentative initial lists?

My (initial) Schedule for Ava Luxe Week:
    Saturday: Oriental / Amber - Amber Essence, Kama or Madame X
    Sunday: Fruit / Citrus or Gourmand - Wild Black Fig, Forbidden Fruits, Loukhoum, Cafe Noir or Royal Vanilla
    Monday: Chypre or Vintage - Chaos, Biba, Dark Chypre, Film Noir, Midnight Violet or Silk
    Tuesday: Fresh / Clean or (Light) Musk - Linen Musk, Egyptian Musk, Cashmere Musk or Love's Truish Blue Light
    Wednesday: Green / Herbal or (Intense) Musk - Absinthe, Incense Musk, Kama Xtreme, Tunisian Musk or Rasa Xtreme
    Thursday: Spice or Woods / Resins / Incense - Chaos type, Palisander, Kretek, Incense or Olibanum
    Friday: Floral or Tropical - Incense Rose, Midnight Violet or Venus Sands

I still want to order some others though...
    Last edited by moondeva; 18th April 2007 at 04:55 PM.

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Hello all - I'm new to Basenotes but I'm excited about Ava-Luxe week. I have a bunch of samples and need to re-visit all of them. So following up on Moondeva's post here's my initial schedule for the week:

Saturday: Oriental / Amber - Madame X, Ambra Tibet,
    Sunday: Fruit / Citrus or Gourmand - Loukhoum, Turkish Vanilla
    Monday: Chypre or Vintage - Midnight Violet, Silk, Ingenue, Black Cashmere Type
    Tuesday: Fresh / Clean or (Light) Musk - Nude Musk, Love's Truish Blue Light, China Pearl
    Wednesday: Green / Herbal or (Intense) Musk - Murasaki Type
    Thursday: Spice or Woods / Resins / Incense - Palisander, Incense, Incense Tibet, Nag Champa, Red Tara, Sweet Patchouli, Royal Parvati, Tokion
    Friday: Floral or Tropical - Camisole, Venus Sands, Viva, Tuberose Diabolique

I also allowed myself to order a couple more for the week so i could test some new ones *grins sheepishly* i'm excited bc i want to determine which ones are FBW for me.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Oh, hugs to our new companion Luyuan!

I had this little paper list already taped to my computer monitor:

Sat/Oriental: Madame X
    Sun/Fruit: Wild Blackberry Musk
    Mon/Chypre: Film Noir
    Tues/Lite Musk: Pearl Musk
    Wed/Green-Herbal: Linden Blossom
    Thurs: Wild Black Fig (kinda theme cheating)
    Fri/Floral: White Lilac
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Saturday: Oriental / Amber - Shisha
    Sunday: Fruit / Citrus or Gourmand - Cafe Noir or Forbidden Fruits
    Monday: Chypre or Vintage - Film Noir
    Tuesday: Fresh / Clean or (Light) Musk - White Tea
    Wednesday: Green / Herbal or (Intense) Musk - Rasa
    Thursday: Spice or Woods / Resins / Incense - Opoponax Intense
    Friday: Floral /Tropical - Venus Sands or Gardenia Musk (but I might wear the Gardenia this Friday instead)

I ordered too late for my frags to be here on time for the week, and I did only order the type of scents I'm looking for at the moment i.e musks/tropicals, but I am looking forward to reading all the posts!

I've cheated already (is anybody surprised?) and have Orange Flower, Orange Blossom, Clementine--dried down to light tuberose freshened with orange flower--Camisole, The Noir--?leather? possibly Film Noir? Coconut, Vanilla Coconut-- ready to pass if anyone would like them, PM me.

I really have to wear them to test them--these are oils, and it takes ten or fifteen minutes to even begin to tell how they'll smell. Close up sniffing doesn't work! I have to wear it, and catch the sillage as it was meant to be smelled to decide.

Clementine was a surprise--I set it out months ago to revisit-- I don't like tuberose. I don't like orange blossom. If someone told me I had to wear one, though, I'd chose Clementine. I'm almost worried it's my preconceived note judgements that have me rejecting this. I almost like it.....but my mind says "No, Pat, remember? You don't like tuberose!"

I'd make a list of what I plan to wear but I know I won't stick to it.

Roses, Stargazer, Tea Rose, Angel Face, Doll Face, Peony, Oeillet Blanc, Tuberose Diabolique, Venus Sands, Pearl Musk, Eau de Soie, Linden Blossom, Frangipani, Moroccan Mint Tea, Parfum d'Osmanthus, Loukhoum, Wild Black Fig are still to be tested. And more on the way!
    Last edited by Shycat; 19th April 2007 at 02:08 AM.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I finally committed. After smelling the wonderfully original Film Noir from a sample someone included in my shipment, I was intrigued by the company. I've been meaning to sit down and compile a list of a few fragrances I would like to try myself and some for my mom to try because I'm about to leave for college so I was thinking of getting her a going away gift or something. Instead ordering the 1 or 2 I thought I was going to order, I got 8 instead. Oh well, I got a summer job at sephora yesterday and I will be selling fragrances. So basenotes pays off in the end i guess.

Cafe Noir-Heard good things about this from everyone
    White Lilac-Mom
    Gardenia Musk-Mom
    Lily-Mom
    Kama-I love MR so this could be a cheaper and even better alternative
    Lotus-Mom
    Heliotrope-L'eau d'Hiver is another fragrance I love from Malle
    Sunday Girl-Mom

CANT WAIT!
    Last edited by Redcomet; 18th April 2007 at 10:46 PM.

Welcomewelcome Luyuan!! So glad to have you in the mix!!

Quarry - you and I are scent twins on four out of seven days!!

Shycat - thanks for the preview. Always love to hear what you have to write. And thanks for bringing out the fact that these juices really have to be experienced - you can't tell how they're going to behave for a couple of hours. Always an adventure - and one of the things that contributes to their power, I think. :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Quarry - you and I are scent twins on four out of seven days!!
    Not so peculiar for a pair of Geminis.:bounce::bounce:

Hello everyone – This is my first post. I’m so glad to have enough samples (just) to join in the Ava Luxe week.. I received my first lot of samples about two weeks ago – 11 in all (including 2 freebies). and have tried most of them. The standouts for me were Lily, Loukhoum and Kretek and as there were none I really disliked, I’m looking forward to re-testing the others.

Hopefully, my second lot of samples will arrive sometime through the week so I can test a few more. They are a bit addictive so I guess I won’t stop there. I just love the Ava Luxe website.... so many fragrances to sift through, so many pretty words and pictures.

I have not had a chance to go through the AVA samples list yet to place an order, but will be watching this thread with great interest. I love natural perfumes and oils, so am really looking forward to reading your descriptions and reviews of them.

A big welcome to PEBBLES and LUYUAN! Enjoy Ava Luxe week! :wave:
    Last edited by spicegirl; 19th April 2007 at 02:39 PM.
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"

Welcome, Beachie! I heartily agree. I already have a list as long as my arm I want to try.

Wink Re: The Ava Luxe Experience!!!

The Ava Luxe experience keeps sounding better and better BUT more and more dangerous to my credit card! (And I am trying to be good)

Sorry BEACHIE..... Not sure how I missed you! Welcome!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"

Welcome to Beachie! I look forward to swapping fragrance chat with you

Quote Originally Posted by beachie17 View Post
    Hello everyone This is my first post. Im so glad to have enough samples (just) to join in the Ava Luxe week.. They are a bit addictive so I guess I wont stop there. I just love the Ava Luxe website.... so many fragrances to sift through, so many pretty words and pictures.
    Welcomewelcome Beachie!! :wave: What a thrill to have this be your first communal effort!! "Addictive" doesn't do it justice ... we were seriously thinking of starting an Ava-Luxe Anonymous! :bounce:

Look forward to your posts!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Welcome to the new Basenoters! Have fun with us

Here's what I have in mind for the Ava Luxe week:
    Saturday: Oriental / Amber: Ambre Antique Type, Viva
    Sunday: Fruit / Citrus or Gourmand - Little Love, Sheer Pomegranate
    Monday: Chypre or Vintage - Anne Klein II type, Venice
    Tuesday: Fresh / Clean or (Light) Musk - Love's True Bluish Light, Angel Face
    Wednesday: Green / Herbal or (Intense) Musk - Bois de Figue, Oriental Musk
    Thursday: Spice or Woods / Resins / Incense - Red Tara, Moksha
    Friday: Floral or Tropical - Venus Sands, Heliotrope, Parfum d'Osmanthus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Mine haven't arrived yet (whine), but I am hoping they make it on time.

I am particularly looking forward to my sample of Moss, I am craving a new very mossy scent

Basenotes Institution

Mine just arrived today (whew!) also got bonus free samples from Ava Luxe of:

Fig
    Midnight Violet
    Royal Parvati

Anyone try these?
    Anyone know what a 'parvati' is?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Fig
    Midnight Violet
    Royal Parvati

Anyone try these?
    Can't help with "Parvati" (but I bet an "E' to Serena would clear it up!!) but I have tried Midnight Violet and I loved it. Lightweight but lasting, neither sweet (on my skin) nor powdery. True violet!!

Looks like I won't be able to join everyone here for the Ava Luxe Experience as my package has not arrived yet. I will keep checking the threads and read the verdicts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Fig
    Midnight Violet
    Royal Parvati

Anyone try these?
    Parvati is a 'who' not a 'what'...

"Parvati is the Hindu Goddess of Love and Beauty. The wife of Lord Shiva and mother of Ganesha, she is adored by Hindus everywhere. Parvati gives her love and blessings freely to all. She is known for her great felicity, nurturing and fertility.
    Parvati employed the help of Kama, the love god, to enchant Lord Shiva and make him her husband.
    On their honeymoon, Shiva and Parvati scaled the great Mount Kailasha where they spent many years in sacred union.

This fragrance, inspired by Parvati, is composed of rare and precious woods - Creamy Sandalwood from Caledonia, Exotic Cabrueva wood from the South Pacific, and Sweet Parvati Sandalwood. The fragrance is enhanced with a touch of Rosewood and Ambergris.
    Notes:
    Cypress Leaf
    Rosewood
    Caledonian Sandalwood
    Parvati Sandalwood
    Cabrueva Wood
    Peruvian Balsam
    Orris Root
    Ambergris"

From the Ava Luxe website.

Parvati sounds heavenly. As soon as I placed my order, I second guessed myself and wanted more!

I've got a "favourites / safe" list & a "out of my comfort zone" list for Ava Luxe week & I'm not sure which way I'm going to end up choosing????

Favourites/ safe list:

Saturday: Oriental / Amber: Dark Amber
    Sunday: Fruit / Citrus or Gourmand - Forbidden Fruits
    Monday: Chypre or Vintage - Midnight Violet
    Tuesday: Fresh / Clean or (Light) Musk - Love's True Bluish Light
    Thursday: Spice or Woods / Resins / Incense - Sweet Amber Wood
    Friday: Floral or Tropical - Bohemian Rose

Out of the comfort zone list:

Saturday: Oriental / Amber - Madame X
    Sunday: Fruit / Citrus or Gourmand - Creme Brulee
    Monday: Chypre or Vintage - In the Garden (All about Eve type)
    Tuesday: Fresh / Clean or (Light) Musk - Wild Blackberry Musk
    Wednesday: Green / Herbal or (Intense) Musk - Tunisian Musk
    Thursday: Spice or Woods / Resins / Incense - Turkish Vanilla
    Friday: Floral or Tropical - Orange Flowers

Well, I could not resist any longer and started a day early with my bonus sample (ie, one I didn't choose but was sent free), Gardenia Musk. Being a Londoner I had little idea what Gardenias smelled like, and of course, I have this thing about some musks.

However, after dousing myself with the stuff (an entire sample!) I have to say I'm really liking this. The musk is very subtle, allowing the Gardenia to dominate the show.
    It's very fresh, but also sweet and heady.
    My colleague said it smells like fresh laundry, if you got your laundry done at Harrods! He also said it really suited me and that I should definitely buy a bottle.
    I think this is going to be an expensive week. :/

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    Parvati is a 'who' not a 'what'...

[LEFT]"Parvati is the Hindu Goddess of Love and Beauty. The wife of Lord Shiva and mother of Ganesha, she is adored by Hindus everywhere. Parvati gives her love and blessings freely to all. She is known for her great felicity, nurturing and fertility.
    Parvati employed the help of Kama, the love god, to enchant Lord Shiva and make him her husband.
    On their honeymoon, Shiva and Parvati scaled the great Mount Kailasha where they spent many years in sacred union.

This fragrance, inspired by Parvati, is composed of rare and precious woods - Creamy Sandalwood from Caledonia, Exotic Cabrueva wood from the South Pacific, and Sweet Parvati Sandalwood. The fragrance is enhanced with a touch of Rosewood and Ambergris.
    Oh jeeeze! I gotta have it!!! (swoons) Mike - be sure to let us know what this beauty is like!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight_flower View Post
    I've got a "favourites / safe" list & a "out of my comfort zone" list for Ava Luxe week & I'm not sure which way I'm going to end up choosing????

Favourites/ safe list:

Saturday: Oriental / Amber: Dark Amber
    Sunday: Fruit / Citrus or Gourmand - Forbidden Fruits
    Monday: Chypre or Vintage - Midnight Violet
    Tuesday: Fresh / Clean or (Light) Musk - Love's True Bluish Light
    Thursday: Spice or Woods / Resins / Incense - Sweet Amber Wood
    Friday: Floral or Tropical - Bohemian Rose

Out of the comfort zone list:

Saturday: Oriental / Amber - Madame X
    Sunday: Fruit / Citrus or Gourmand - Creme Brulee
    Monday: Chypre or Vintage - In the Garden (All about Eve type)
    Tuesday: Fresh / Clean or (Light) Musk - Wild Blackberry Musk
    Wednesday: Green / Herbal or (Intense) Musk - Tunisian Musk
    Thursday: Spice or Woods / Resins / Incense - Turkish Vanilla
    Friday: Floral or Tropical - Orange Flowers
    moonlight_flower: I would start out with the new, unknown list so that you can share the excitement of new discoveries with many of the rest of us, but should you need a day off or the comfort of what you already know and love then switch to the favourites list. This event is not set in stone, you don't even have to wear scents from the set theme on any given day, if you don't want too. This is just an opportunity for many of us to discover, enjoy and share all things Ava Luxe!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    Well, I could not resist any longer and started a day early with my bonus sample (ie, one I didn't choose but was sent free), Gardenia Musk. Being a Londoner I had little idea what Gardenias smelled like, and of course, I have this thing about some musks.

However, after dousing myself with the stuff (an entire sample!) I have to say I'm really liking this. The musk is very subtle, allowing the Gardenia to dominate the show.
    My colleague said it smells like fresh laundry, if you got your laundry done at Harrods! He also said it really suited me and that I should definitely buy a bottle.
    Ooh, Gardenia Musk is one that I have heard so many good things about! It sounds like a wonderfully feminine floral musk, perfect for spring and summer wear. At least for me - I am already wondering whether it will layer well with my beloved TBS Japanese Musk...

I must say, I am flabbergasted that you used a whole sample in one application! Was it the eau de parfum strength?

It does sound like you found a winner, though! Yay, you!
    Last edited by moondeva; 20th April 2007 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well, it was quite a small sample... And I do tend to apply a lot of scent due to the fact my skin chemistry eats up most things rather quickly! But I think in this case, I didn't need to as it's quite potent!
    I think it was the EDP, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post

That one sounds lovely and I'm pleased to learn that you get samples with samples. How long did it take to arrive?
    Last edited by Zibeline; 20th April 2007 at 03:28 PM.

I think it took about a week. I ordered seven samples and got two freebies.

Blog Entries

Less than 10 hours until the festivities begin for us here in the UK and even sooner for the fragrance buddies in the east! :: waves :wave: at Coconut::

I am so excited!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Can one of the kind moderators please make this thread a sticky?!

Or should I begin a fresh thread?
    Last edited by moondeva; 20th April 2007 at 04:51 PM.

And didn't I get two more samples today as lagniappe in a decant order!!! Red Tara and Lotus!!! Must rush right to the site and see which categories they fit into!! :bounce:
    Last edited by TaoLady; 20th April 2007 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Too much color!!

I think a fresh thread would be a good idea, since the posts will be more review oriented.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Fresh & Sticky!

I'm getting nervous. I have 2 AL samples in hand, but if the mailman fails me on Saturday ...

It's Party Time!!!!!

Started the day wearing Madame X but the Civet, Ambergris & Castoreum combo decided to have their own party on my skin - result - a horrid stench. My DH told me to run to the bathroom & wash it off quick smart! Not a great start to trying different scents that take me way from my usual fragrance comfort zone!

I'm now wearing Vamp (for the first time) on my other wrist & will post my review on this one later on today.

Have fun everyone!!!