Code of Conduct

Default Thread ratings abuse?

Currently, there are eleven threads on the first page with a one star rating. If I get the wording of the FAQ right, there needs to be more than one rating cast for an actual thread rating to show up. Kind of sad to have this, the female board somehow can live without it.
    Last edited by fakepurseninja; 3rd April 2007 at 08:14 AM.

Default Re: Thread ratings abuse?

ى'ذع نهتيصعد تحات تهه، جوست تحهوغحت سهمعبهدط شاس فهللهشينغ مع ارهوند تحع بهارد غيصينغ مع هنع ستار راتينغس.

- زيسح

I noticed that too, just thought somebody was following me around the boards, rating my threads as one stars.
    - Rich

PS - That's not really Arabic, it's English written in Arabic script, no real purpose really, if you know the alphabet, it's likely you know Arabic.
    Last edited by _R$_; 3rd April 2007 at 08:48 AM.
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

we could lose the thread ratings and I think only the noobs would miss them.

Basenotes Institution

Thread ratings suck!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Re: Thread ratings abuse?

The thread ratings have become, for some, a way to 'punish' a poster for whatever, regardless of the content's merit or so it seems to me.

I've personally have not found the thread ratings to have any basis in reality and as the title of this thread states, recently there seems to be abuse of the thread system. Specifically it seems that it is being used as a tool for harassment.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

I manage to consistently ignore them. Can we scrap them in favor of editable reviews ?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

scrap thread ratings...

have a new forum section titled "Threads with Distinction" which basically be a "best of" basenotes forum...

just think, it would be a great advertisement on the quality that can be foind on the forums as well as a nice starting point for newbies to catch up to speed on other member's opinions and areas of interests.
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

I do not even notice them.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

I agree with Fred that it seems only new members are overly concerned with thread ratings. I, too, don't even notice them and would hardly miss them if they disappeared. Overall, I've probably rated 10-20 threads in my entire time at basenotes. Most were high stars for really great threads, but a few were one stars for threads that had no purpose.

I'd like to say that "critical" opinions about threads should be posted IN the thread, openly, but unfortunately the overly-PC culture around here gets ten responses that say "Hey, stop being a snob" or "stop being unwelcoming" and a snippy retort from the OP. So, in some cases, rating a thread one star is the only recourse a member has. It's good to be welcoming to everybody, yes, but at some point I think the hand-holding has to stop and we have to ask members really to think about what they are posting.

Nevertheless, I just hope that soon we can try to find a good balance between being helpful to new members and supporting older members who want a little more out of the forum than making Creed recommendations, comparing what two fragrances smell the same, or being treated like a Fragrance Hut Sales Associate. I'm afraid that recently the balance has been in the other direction...
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 3rd April 2007 at 06:55 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja View Post
    Currently, there are eleven threads on the first page with a one star rating. ...
    Who told you that this was abusive, and not a system error? How do you tell if a 1*-rating is abusive or not? Is there a place where this is explained?
    One never knows what a thread turns out to be in the end. Rating at the beginning of any thread is premature or even pointless, as one can never correct the first verdict.
    I would much prefer being able to rate reviews instead. Not all of them are the fruit of the loom, but some are really venomous, and I would like to express that some place by awarding / denying stars.
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd April 2007 at 07:06 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by yonggoh View Post
    scrap thread ratings...

have a new forum section titled "Threads with Distinction" which basically be a "best of" basenotes forum...

just think, it would be a great advertisement on the quality that can be foind on the forums as well as a nice starting point for newbies to catch up to speed on other member's opinions and areas of interests.
    I like this idea a lot. When a moderator decides that a specific thread has become extremely helpful or just plain good, he/she can create a link to the thread in the "Threads with Distinction" forum that will leave the thread in whatever forum it started in, but also mark it as a hallmark. The original "What colognes do the ladies like" should immediately be linked, so noobs can run over there and find out without going through the unspeakable agony and trouble of using the search function, and immediately find out what we think off the bat. Might not be worth the effort to Grant though...

rach2jlc, as far as PC goes, I agree wholeheartedly. Evidence the reaction of many members to "Smells like an old man" phrase. What is meant is completely different from what it is taken as, and in the end, I freakin' love old man scents! Old men have good taste dammit! Much more than the youngin's of today!

How about this, instead of being a pussy and rating every thread you didn't create with a 1, just write what you think on that very thread! That being said, I didn't know there were thread ratings until about a month ago, I'd never noticed them until then.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Blog Entries

I too was wondering the very same thing about the low thread ratings. At first it seemed that someone was following G Man around, rating all his threads with one star. Now, it seems to have spread. It's VERY juvenile, and very noob-ish, and is kind of an eyesore on the site.

I REALLY like the "Best of Basenotes" idea!!! In addition to a comprehensive "what doe the ladies like" thread, there could be an "ultimate sandalwood/leather/rose/whatever" thread, threads about the best scents for each season, and other topics that seem to come up every few weeks.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Lately I have posted three new threads and within minutes they were rated 1 star. Fair enough, someone doesnt like their content, or maybe I am being stalked, but it doesnt bother me as long as I can get some discussion going. I can put a positive spin on things - a 1 star thread is perhaps rated higher than the other 90% of the threads which have no rating ?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Lately I have posted three new threads and within minutes they were rated 1 star. Fair enough, someone doesnt like their content, or maybe I am being stalked, but it doesnt bother me as long as I can get some discussion going. I can put a positive spin on things - a 1 star thread is perhaps rated higher than the other 90% of the threads which have no rating ?
    LOL! That's what I like to hear!

Personally, this thread rating system is quite pointless - if you want to find out about something, it's certainly not going to influence what threads you decide to read. In the past, I've awarded certain threads one star simply for being utterly repetitive and pointless (and it painfully shows when you read them). However, that's just me finding another way to express my opinions about the quality of many recent threads (BTW, my thread about my previous life was just a non-pc spoof to 'shake things up' a little, in case you didn't 'get it').

I recently haven't been posting here that often and this is one of the reasons why - there's been an alarming increase in 'juvenile behaviour' on this forum and it's getting a bit too much now. Yes, I love to play around and have fun but, over the last six months, this forum has been gradually losing its 'edge'.

I hope this is all just temporary but the signs aren't encouraging.

(Mmmmm... this thread had four stars when I started composing this post - now it's gone down to three. Interesting...)
    Last edited by Trebor; 3rd April 2007 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I recently haven't been posting here that often and this is one of the reasons why - there's been an alarming increase in 'juvenile behaviour' on this forum and it's getting a bit too much now. Yes, I love to play around and have fun but, over the last six months, this forum has been gradually losing its 'edge'.

I hope this is all just temporary but the signs aren't encouraging.
    I'm with you, Trebor and I'd HATE to see Basenotes lose that "edge," but I agree that unfortunately the signs are there.

As I said on the thread with Stu about the sales forum, it's not up to the Mods to do everything for us and I see no reason why members can't take up issues with each other in an adult, mature way. Why is it "rude" to ask a member to use the search function instead of starting yet another "Is my GIT authentic?" or asking another member to use consideration before posting "starting out" threads in every forum BUT the "Starting Out Forum?" I don't think it is; but on the times when I've done that, inevitably I get two or three responses that say, "Stop telling other members what to do!" or "Stop playing mod!"

Chris, Grant, and the other mods have far too much else to keep them busy than having to be "the bad guy" every time we have a little issue that we probably could handle ourselves. As members (especially supporting members, although I gave up my supporting membership last month), in many ways it is up to US to define the atmosphere and "culture" of this forum. Over the past few months, frankly, most contributing members have NOT defined that atmosphere, but instead have allowed it TO BE DEFINED in ways that don't do it justice.

Finally, ZZ, I didn't realize that threads were being given one star within minutes. For the past few weeks, I've not been keeping up with the threads, so I thought the OP was talking about the more frequent low ratings given on threads that (in my mind) actually DESERVE low ratings. This random assignment of one-stars as retribution is beyond childish...
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 3rd April 2007 at 07:56 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Thread ratings abuse?

I suggest that Grant (sorry if this causes a lot of software manipulation, guys) or whomever does it change the procedure so all Basenoters who vote a rating for a thread by have it made public, with their names attached to the vote, for all other Basenoters to see if they so wish, similar to that choice in polls that appear in threads from time to time.

The exposure of consistant one-star voters just might discourage those who are rating a good thread low out of pettiness or juvenile pranksterism and still allow others who vote a given thread's merits to be heard also. If you don't want others to see how you voted, then you have the choice not to vote.
    Last edited by kbe; 3rd April 2007 at 09:08 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by incedal View Post
    I do not even notice them.
    same here

it's not a bug, it's a feature! the feature we could live with out.

Some coward scumbag is doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Who told you that this was abusive, and not a system error? How do you tell if a 1*-rating is abusive or not? Is there a place where this is explained?
    I don't know how to tell that this was not a system error. How could I? That's precisely why I put a question mark in the head line for this thread. Judging from the replies so far, some people do think it is abusive behaviour. We're not talking about 2* or 3* ratings, it's about the 1*s - "unspeakably dismal" by the basenotes FAQ. I think the 1* option is recently handled in a different way than it was intended.

Without a doubt there are warranted 1*-ratings. But not all of them are, and the sheer number of them this morning seemed out of place.

Without a doubt there are warranted 1*-ratings. But not all of them are, and the sheer number of them this morning seemed out of place.
    That makes sense and when I posted (basically saying that I thought that there were maybe just a lot more 1* worthy threads) I didn't know how many of them there were assigned to relatively random threads, often just seconds after the initial thread was posted.

I think it's become clear by now - one or more persons seem to have been playing games with the rating machine lately, using hitherto unrated threads. The suggestions to solve this 'problem' should stay in proportion. You are annoyed about a one star rating? For heaven's sake: add five !

My confusion grows, because I now have the impression that people rate thread names rather than thread contents. Isn't it the sum of all posts that qualify a thread more than the initial post and its headline - --

April 5: Problem solved for myself: Rating is always a rather subjective matter. Just as with Eau Sauvage and all the other frags - my own rating is what matters! I found out that maybe 5% (maximum 10%) of all threads contain enough interesting posts that I would like to come back to in the future. I would love to be able to bookmark these in a way that the BN search machine will find them by a few clicks within seconds. For the major bulk of threads however, the present statistics (numbers of visits / posts) are the most reliable (average) rating I can get, and it's there already. But how do I get unnamed threads by posts/and or visits? Our limitation is determined by the BN database, and search functions.
    Last edited by narcus; 5th April 2007 at 09:49 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

The suggestions to solve this 'problem' should stay in proportion. You are annoyed about a one star rating? For heaven's sake: add five !
    That's what I've been doing and anyone else disgruntled by these 'games' should take it upon themselves to do the same - the person(s) will quickly realise what a futile exercise it is and (hopefully) stop.

My confusion grows, because I now have the impression that people rate thread names rather than thread contents. Isn't it the sum of all posts that qualify a thread more than the initial post and its headline - -- :confused
    I think that would really depend on the quality of the opening post. I left a scarcastic remark on one particular thread, the other day, because the member was asking where to purchase a VERY EASY TO FIND designer fragrance (both in stores and on the net). What the f***! Get off your arse and start looking, you _________ [fill in the gap]!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    That's what I've been doing and anyone else disgruntled by these 'games' should take it upon themselves to do the same - the person(s) will quickly realise what a futile exercise it is and (hopefully) stop.
    I have done that sometimes, too. Maybe I/we should do this more often - when the respective thread isn't a 1*-thread.

Personally I think the whole idea of rating a thread is flawed. Threads are evolving, changing things. A dull one can be enlivened by an illuminating post. An intriguing one can become bogged down by a petty argument. Assigning a static rating -- even if it's a composite of several individual views -- to something so dynamic is a bad idea in principle.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Thread ratings abuse?

How about this:

When you rate a particular thread your rating appears in your post(s) only to that thread and not on the thread header itself? No cumulative rating would apply to any thread. In effect the entire thread then cannot be seen as a poorly rated thread or a highly rated one and should be judged by individuals by entering and reading the post(s). Your opinion would still be readable by all so as to get your particular take on the thread across, but not labeling the thread 'on the cover' as either a piece of trash or as a subject worthy of greatness. In reality it could be just the opposite and other Basenoters could evaluate your opinion compared to theirs.

It would be interesting to see how individual Basenoter's votes corresponded to the overall post content, but you could vote without entering any comment, it would just be a post containing your thread rating if you so desired. The key here is others could evaluate your estimate of the thread.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

You guys are being the fine members you are and thinking hard and considerately about this subject. However, any decision that comes about retaining the thread rating feature will almost certainly be very simple--retain it or junk it. Up or down. I don't have insight into what Grant will do with regard to putting his time into detailed measures to preserve the thread rating system and make it perfectly trouble/abuse free (an impossible project if you ask Chris), buuuuuuut, the likely options are the system as-is or no thread rating ability.

Also, were Grant to make the change to no thread rating ability, he'll do it on his schedule as it fits with other priorities. (Who among us would want him it to do it any other way?) So there's no way to know how soon any change might come.

Given these realities, what we've got is what we've got. How much importance we decide to attribute to it ourselves is the issue, or the issue for each of us.

Thanks for everything and for understanding,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Wow, I'm surprised that thread ratings have caused this much energy. I just take it for granted that some people may like something that I write, and others will just think that I'm stupid. To me, that's reality. Like anyone else, I'm glad when they don't flame me, but a low star-rating of my thread is at least more civil than a flame message. "Abuse" is a pretty strong word for this, IMHO. I guess we're a pretty sensitive bunch.

And I agree with Chris... as a programmer who has installed a bunch of forums and loads of other types of scripts, I can tell you that it's difficult enough just to get such a feature as a thread rating working, much less making it very granular and full of options. Forum software is extremely complex when it has a lot of features, as this one does.

So all merits aside, don't hold your breath unless you want to volunteer to write some code and go through the multiple headaches of testing!

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento View Post
    Wow, I'm surprised that thread ratings have caused this much energy. I just take it for granted that some people may like something that I write, and others will just think that I'm stupid. To me, that's reality. Like anyone else, I'm glad when they don't flame me, but a low star-rating of my thread is at least more civil than a flame message. "Abuse" is a pretty strong word for this, IMHO. I guess we're a pretty sensitive bunch.

And I agree with Chris... as a programmer who has installed a bunch of forums and loads of other types of scripts, I can tell you that it's difficult enough just to get such a feature as a thread rating working, much less making it very granular and full of options. Forum software is extremely complex when it has a lot of features, as this one does.

So all merits aside, don't hold your breath unless you want to volunteer to write some code and go through the multiple headaches of testing!
    I called it "abuse" for lack of a better word. Is misuse better? English is not my native language, so I may be underestimating some connotations.

It wasn't even me getting 1* ratings. What you are rightly referring to as "reality" just did not seem to be the case anymore. Getting all your threads rated as 1* by some anonymous person is close enough to flaming imho, and it is anonymous, so in that respect it is actually worse than open flaming.

Well I guess there's not much more to say.

I called it "abuse" for lack of a better word. Is misuse better? English is not my native language, so I may be underestimating some connotations.

It wasn't even me getting 1* ratings. What you are rightly referring to as "reality" just did not seem to be the case anymore. Getting all your threads rated as 1* by some anonymous person is close enough to flaming imho, and it is anonymous, so in that respect it is actually worse than open flaming.

Well I guess there's not much more to say.
    FPN,
    I'm seeing the merit in what you're saying... if a particular person is essentially following you around and giving "ones", then this is more like a vendetta, and actually does come close to abuse, or harrassment (as opposed to something milder - your English is great, BTW). If someone really has a problem with a particular person, they ought to take it up with that person directly, IMHO, and beyond that, there are always helpful moderators.

I've upped the limit to the amount of votes needed to display a star. This should help matters.