Code of Conduct

Default Searching for a Helmut Lang replacement

Hi folks,
    I'm new to this board, but I thought someone might be able to help me. Several years back, I bought a bottle of Helmut Lang cologne (not the Cuiron) while traveling through the UK and loved it. I know some folks consider it a bit "powdery" but I like the way it works with my skin and smells clean and not overpowering. Perfect for the office.

Since then, I've been able to find it either at Neiman's or online, but it seems that it's been discontinued and is getting harder to find.

I'd like to find a replacement cologne that is at least similar. I believe some of the white musk scents smell "clean" but I know very little about cologne so I don't know where to start.

Can anyone offer some advice/suggestions?

Claude

P.S. I currently live in the States.

Default Re: Searching for a Helmut Lang replacement

I just found a bottle of Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne. I had been wanting to get a bottle of it forever so I was thrilled to snap up the one bottle I saw.

I don't know what would be comparable to Helmut Lang EDC besides the "women's" Helmut Lang-- the Eau de Parfum. I actually have the EDP also of the Helmut Lang, and it's very similar to the "men's". Maybe even a bit better. The mens' starts off nice, but quickly gets a "dusty" character about it. The womens' starts off the same but stays creamier and retains its "baby oil" quality for longer. It's a bit smoother. So if you scan the internet and see a bottle of the Helmut Lang Eau de Parfum, you should try it. Very similar.

As to what other fragrances smell like Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne, I have no idea. It is pretty unique when you think about it. A fragrance that isn't all that similar, yet has the same effect on me is Tam Dao by Diptyque. It's a simple creamy sandalwood with a bit of musk. When Helmut Lang dries down on me, it smells a little like sandalwood incense. So I'm making the recommendation of Tam Dao as something you might enjoy. I remember the day I got my Tam Dao I was completely blown away by how perfect it was in its simplicity. I always get compliments on it as well.

Don't give up hope on the Helmut Lang-- there are bottles floating around out there, you'll get your hands on one soon enough if you keep looking.

You can purchase both the EdC and EdP here at Perfumebay.

My personal opinion is that you should go for the $90 and get the EdP. It smells almost EXACTLY like the "men's" EdC but lasts much, much longer.

Thank you for the input and the links. I think I will try the EdP then. Also glad to know where I can get it.

This thread is pretty old, but for anyone who stumbles upon it, I have some suggestions for Helmut Lang EDC replacements:

The best replacement, in my opinion, would be Labdanum 18 by Le Labo. It was created by the same perfumer of Helmut Lang EDC, Maurice Roucel. They only smell a bit similar, but the overall vibe is the same, and they share a lot of the same notes, mainly a touch of vanilla, clean/soapy musk and sandalwood in the base.

The second best replacement would have to be Habit Rouge by Guerlain. Although Habit Rouge smells quite different from Helmut Lang, it's obvious that Helmut Lang was inspired by Habit Rouge. If you took away the lemoney notes from Habit Rouge, it would smell a lot like Helmut Lang, only less modern and more powdery.

The third best replacement would be Cologne Blanche by Dior, but it smells quite different from Helmut Lang as well. It does however, share the same clean, musky, powdery and "barbershop" qualities that Helmut Lang has. Unfortunately, Cologne Blanche is also discontinued, however I think it's a bit easier to find than Helmut Lang.

Finally, there's CKBE by Calvin Klein, but it doesn't anything smell at all like Helmut Lang. It does however fit into the same category as Helmut Lang; clean, musky and soft.

Best of luck trying to find a bottle of Helmut Lang, or, at least a replacement you're happy with.

L'Occitane Labadnum perhaps.

Isn't it Le Labo's Musc 25 that is more like Helmut Lang EdC or EdP?

I haven't found anything quite like either the EdC or EdP, which is why I've secured backups. The EdC is amazing in the summer sun - I really look forward to wearing it!

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    The best replacement, in my opinion, would be Labdanum 18 by Le Labo. It was created by the same perfumer of Helmut Lang EDC, Maurice Roucel. They only smell a bit similar, but the overall vibe is the same, and they share a lot of the same notes, mainly a touch of vanilla, clean/soapy musk and sandalwood in the base.

The second best replacement would have to be Habit Rouge by Guerlain. Although Habit Rouge smells quite different from Helmut Lang, it's obvious that Helmut Lang was inspired by Habit Rouge. If you took away the lemoney notes from Habit Rouge, it would smell a lot like Helmut Lang, only less modern and more powdery.

The third best replacement would be Cologne Blanche by Dior, but it smells quite different from Helmut Lang as well. It does however, share the same clean, musky, powdery and "barbershop" qualities that Helmut Lang has. Unfortunately, Cologne Blanche is also discontinued, however I think it's a bit easier to find than Helmut Lang.

Finally, there's CKBE by Calvin Klein, but it doesn't anything smell at all like Helmut Lang. It does however fit into the same category as Helmut Lang; clean, musky and soft.

Best of luck trying to find a bottle of Helmut Lang, or, at least a replacement you're happy with.

It was hard for me to find hl too, but i stumbled on some vintage givenchy gentleman, i love the powdery drydown on the new version also, on me it lasted for four whole days and nothing ever came close to 3 days on me, ever! I think it comes close to gg due to the leather and civet notes. So look for scents with this, iv heard knize ten is some what near helmut lang, good luck and let us know.
    Ε'ΣΤΙ ΗΜΑΡ ΟΤΕ ΦΟΙΒΟΣ ΠΑΛΙΝ ΕΛΕΥΣΕΤΑΙ ΚΑΙ ΕΣ ΑΕΙ ΕΣΕΤΑΙ

Knize Ten is nowhere near Helmut Lang, sadly... and vintage or current Givenchy Gentleman doesn't evoke any sort of similarity to HL either, to my nose.

What one might want to consider in order to find something comparable is a fragrance that contains sandalwood, musk and vanilla - a creamy, somewhat animalic blend.. but there's no easy replacement unless it might be another M. Roucel creation in the Le Labo lineup (I've heard Musc 25 but L'Aventurier has said it is Labdanum 18 - I haven't tried either!)

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    It was hard for me to find hl too, but i stumbled on some vintage givenchy gentleman, i love the powdery drydown on the new version also, on me it lasted for four whole days and nothing ever came close to 3 days on me, ever! I think it comes close to gg due to the leather and civet notes. So look for scents with this, iv heard knize ten is some what near helmut lang, good luck and let us know.

Knize Ten is nowhere near Helmut Lang, sadly... and vintage or current Givenchy Gentleman doesn't evoke any sort of similarity to HL either, to my nose.

What one might want to consider in order to find something comparable is a fragrance that contains sandalwood, musk and vanilla - a creamy, somewhat animalic blend.. but there's no easy replacement unless it might be another M. Roucel creation in the Le Labo lineup (I've heard Musc 25 but L'Aventurier has said it is Labdanum 18 - I haven't tried either!)

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post

The most similar fragrance to Helmut Lang is Tom Ford Musk Pure which smells halfway bewteen HL EDC and HL EDP...same clean musk with a subtle metallic vibe.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    The most similar fragrance to Helmut Lang is Tom Ford Musk Pure which smells halfway bewteen HL EDC and HL EDP...same clean musk with a subtle metallic vibe.
    I have bought a botte of HL Cologne about 10 to 12 years ago and it became my favourite scent. About 2 years ago I went to a perfumer and wanted him to rebuild it, but the scent was very different! I went - here in Germany - to a few high end perfume shops (thedifferentscent.de and http://www.harald-lubner.de) and wanted a scent that is similar to HL, but they can't help me! There are scents with vanilla, there are scents with sandalwood and there are the white musk scents like Acca Kappa. There should be a similar fragrance from Serge Lutens with should only be available in Paris, but I don't know the scent! I am a traditional wet shave fan and I ordered an old after shave from America via ebay. It is called Gabels Aftershave http://www.ivory-s.com/images/Gabels...er%20Shave.gif (not the staa cool!!!!). It doesn't last as long as the HL Cologne but I think, that it's the one that is very similar! Sometimes it's available on ebay or at Us shaving shops!