Code of Conduct

Talking Creed Tabarome vs Vintage Tabarome - and EDTs, EDP's.

A couple of questions.. long time lurker, rare poster

1)

I wish to acquire Creed's "Vintage" Tabarome. As far as I can tell through much reading, there's 'vintage tabarome' and 'new tabarome'. Both seem to be called "Tabarome" wherever I look online.. so how do I know which is which? I want the "vintage" one - and if possible, I want to get it in a smaller quantity than the flacon

2)

All these creed scents - how can you be sure that you're getting the EDP strength? I got a great deal from scentiments on some Himalaya a while back.. claimed to be EDP, turned out it's marked right on the bottle EDT (I thought all Creeds were EDP strength?) # of sprays it takes for any kind of longevity, amount that comes out of sprayhead, etc testify to the fact that it's EDT and not an EDP.

So how can one be sure of getting the EDP strength?

Last thing - I tend to prefer getting the more concentrated strength of any fragrance - EDP, instead of EDT or cologne - but with respect to creed, is this wise? I'm mostly concerned about value - no need to pay for extra alcohol and water

Thank you for reading this post, and thank you much in advance for any input you can provide.

This basenotes community is a really nice place - wonderful concept, great people

Default Re: Creed Tabarome vs Vintage Tabarome - and EDTs, EDP's.

Hello lurker. Welcome! I don't have personal experience with the Tabarone Brothers but I think the consensus among those at BN that have more than me is that the Original is more desirable. Hopefully one of those folks will step up and give opinions / advice. In the meantime you might want to search the threads as I'm pretty sure that there will be some good info there. Good luck and take care...

Creed does make EDT's but All Himalaya bottles should me in the Millesime category which means its all EDP, along with almost all of the post 1980 fragrances. As far as the Tabaromes, the only one I can speak of is the new Tabarone, which is very worthy. You should like it if you like ginger and tobacco which are present in abundance. My assumption is that now since the vintage Tabarome is part of the private collection non flacon sized bottles would either be old or testers( you do see testers of things like Aubepine-Acacia and Cyprus Musc). As far as the stregnth, I am not entirely sure but since the new tabarome is also called Tabarome Millesime I think a good guess would be that the old one isn't millesime/EDP stregnth.

Quote Originally Posted by Essentious View Post
    A couple of questions.. long time lurker, rare poster

1)

I wish to acquire Creed's "Vintage" Tabarome. As far as I can tell through much reading, there's 'vintage tabarome' and 'new tabarome'. Both seem to be called "Tabarome" wherever I look online.. so how do I know which is which? I want the "vintage" one - and if possible, I want to get it in a smaller quantity than the flacon

2)

All these creed scents - how can you be sure that you're getting the EDP strength? I got a great deal from scentiments on some Himalaya a while back.. claimed to be EDP, turned out it's marked right on the bottle EDT (I thought all Creeds were EDP strength?) # of sprays it takes for any kind of longevity, amount that comes out of sprayhead, etc testify to the fact that it's EDT and not an EDP.

So how can one be sure of getting the EDP strength?

Last thing - I tend to prefer getting the more concentrated strength of any fragrance - EDP, instead of EDT or cologne - but with respect to creed, is this wise? I'm mostly concerned about value - no need to pay for extra alcohol and water

Thank you for reading this post, and thank you much in advance for any input you can provide.

This basenotes community is a really nice place - wonderful concept, great people

Quote Originally Posted by signature View Post
    Creed does make EDT's but All Himalaya bottles should me in the Millesime category which means its all EDP, along with almost all of the post 1980 fragrances.
    I have the bottle (4oz from Scentiments) right in front of me - the front says

CREED

Himalaya

De pere en fils depuis 1760
    38, av. pierre 1er de serbie paris
    120ml 4fl oz.

And on the back says,

Toilet Water PGS J2W05
    Ingredients: SD Alcohol 39-C, Parfume, Water
    Made In France

It's the 'toilet water', + the large size (4oz), plus the price (wasn't that expensive.. under 100 if I remember correctly!), and the sheer AMOUNT of spray that comes out of the spray head , that all make me think this is an EDT.

SO there's basically no way I'm getting any reasonable quantity of vintage tabarome (or Royal English Leather either I imagine) without purchasing a Flacon?

The official Creed site states which ones are EDTs and which are EDPs (all Private Collection frags are EDPs - Vintage Tabarome is from the private collection):

http://www.creedfragrances.co.uk/site/products
    -

Hi all,

Of the HUNDREDS of Fragrances I have bought and/or sampled in my several years here at Basenotes, CREED TABAROME MILLESIME
    (i.e. NEW Creed Tabarome) STILL to this day, continues to be my OVERALL/NUMBER ONE fragrance! I.E., if I could only own ONE fragrance,
    it would be TABAROME MILLESIME!

Regards,
    SixCats!

SO there's basically no way I'm getting any reasonable quantity of vintage tabarome (or Royal English Leather either I imagine) without purchasing a Flacon?
    Have you tried to get a decant from someone here?

I recently bought Tabarome Millesime and really like it. Don't count it out until you've tried it.

Vintage Tabarome is simply called Tabarome, and it is part of the
    Private Collection. I have one of the large 250ml flacons, and I can
    assure you that this one is one of the strongest fragrances anywhere.
    It's at least EdP in strength. Two mild sprays are all that is needed.

If you see a bottle marked Tabarome Millesime, then it's the new Tabarome,
    which is also a good fragrance, but is definitely different than the Vintage
    stuff. I prefer the Vintage, but I enjoy both.

I strongly recommend you try to purchase a decant of the Vintage Tabarome,
    since it will take you a _very_ long time to use up an entire 250ml flacon.
    It is just _that_ strong. If you were in the San Francisco area I'd decant
    some for you from my bottle, since it's going to be a long time before I ever
    use mine up. I don't want to ship decants, however.

Regards,
    trumpet_guy

well thank you just the same

yes, I see, my bottle of SMW has something similar written across the bottom, it appears as if it were done with an old dot matrix printer. Despite that it is listed as the only version being an EDP along with Himalaya.

I have the bottle (4oz from Scentiments) right in front of me - the front says

CREED

Himalaya

De pere en fils depuis 1760
    38, av. pierre 1er de serbie paris
    120ml 4fl oz.

And on the back says,

Toilet Water PGS J2W05
    Ingredients: SD Alcohol 39-C, Parfume, Water
    Made In France

It's the 'toilet water', + the large size (4oz), plus the price (wasn't that expensive.. under 100 if I remember correctly!), and the sheer AMOUNT of spray that comes out of the spray head , that all make me think this is an EDT.

I wonder why Vintage Tabarome isn't listed on the Creed website under the 'Private Collection' section?

I've got relatively small amounts of both: a 10ml decant of the Vintage, and a 30ml bottle of the millesime. Both are excellent, but quite different...

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGallacher View Post
    I wonder why Vintage Tabarome isn't listed on the Creed website under the 'Private Collection' section?
    For some reason, its not sold in UK. The french site lists it: http://www.parfumscreed.com/en/indexen.html
    -

haven`t tried vintage Tabarome, but Tabarome Millesime is one of my absolute favourite fragrance. It`s my second favourite creed fragrance together with Bois du Portugal.

It has always been a bit misleading the way they named Tabarome Millsime to me...it is not very similar to "Vintage" Tabarome. But Millesime Tabarome is a fine scent in its own right. I have a guess that the Millesime version was an attempt to do a modernized version of the original, and was probably cheaper and easier to make. The name was likely a way to try and appeal to buyers of the original version. It does live in the same manly scent neighborhood.

Good luck with your Vintage search. It will be at frenzy level soon since Creed just posted their limited "close out" offering on their US Creed Boutique site. I don't think there are any flacons left to be had easily, but possibly one could be found. It's turned into Willie Wonka's Golden Ticket. I would bet money there are some lurking out there somewhere in the store room gathering dust.

While it's going to be getting a lot of attention for the next few days here, this was not a big selling frag for Creed I'm sure, certainly not in the last 10-15years or so. I only ever saw it available in 8.4 ounce flacons which means that most people who liked and bought it have pretty close to a lifetime supply, especially if they're a fume head with a large scent collection.

The only retail alternative right now is the Creed Boutique's 1.7oz for $405 US.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 2nd February 2010 at 09:47 PM.

Royal English Leather should be available in 75ml bottles. I just bought one two weeks ago. Personally- just one man's opinion- let's not start a rumor I think Royal English Leather and Royal Scottish Lavender are also frags with lots of natural ingredients that may go the way of Vintage Tabarome. I just don't think those kind of frags are the bread and butter of a company like Creed anymore. Expensive to make and slow to sell.

Hey StylinLA. I was able to source a 1 liter of VT from Roja Dove last week and ordered it. I couldn't believe it. Its actually on its way right now thanks to a great UK basenoter who shipped it out to me. I am going to be selling a few decants of it when it comes in the next few days. I dont think I will ever use 1 liter. Just in case anyone is wondering, 1 liter is (4) 250ml flacons!!!!
    Last edited by cairomerta; 2nd February 2010 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks cariomerta- I've got 3 oz on the way already. That's amazing you got a liter! You should find plenty of takers.

cariomerta - let me know if you ever want to let go any of your 1 Liter of VT.

Once i get it, I will be posting in the buy/sell forum. Not sure how much I will sell because I want to be able to keep a good amount of this treasure for a very long time but First come first serve is probably what I will do.

Cool Re: Creed Tabarome vs Vintage Tabarome - and EDTs, EDP's.

Damn! I think it might be discontinued, judging by the prices.
    $314.99 for 30ml from The Perfumed Court?
    Don't get me wrong, they're 100% reliable
    http://theperfumedcourt.com/
    I've dealt with them in the past, but I'm sure that VT was much less expensive.
    Well, I'll use what's left of my 15ml very sparingly
    Fortunately VT is strong stuff, so one spritz will do.
    You can buy a 1ml for about $11 or so, I think.
    Silly perhaps but it always pays to know if you're going to really enjoy the frag
    before shelling out this kind of money.

Cheers,

Mario

P.S. The modern millesime tabarome is not bad, just a completely different scent.
    A bit too much ginger--which I prefer with sushi---but not shabby by any means.
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 3rd February 2010 at 12:49 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Big difference between the two. And yes, the large reputation of VT is well-deserved. Best advice you'll get all day: keep an eye on creedboutique.com, and pounce when VT is released. You absolutely will not regret this purchase. Superior collectible value. . . but it's highly likely you won't be able to part with even a tiny sample.