Code of Conduct

Talking New to forum- and I reek

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and have enjoyed reading the posts, and learning about perfume for the last couple of weeks. The perfume reviews are most helpful.

Today I got greedy and thought I snapped up some good buys from Sam's club and bought Lucky number 6 and Eternity by CK without smelling them. They are discount priced so you don't get the luxury of a tester. I smell absolutely rank even after washing these off my skin! These perfumes do not like me. lol Learned a valuable lesson. Hope to learn from all of you too.

Lisa

Default Re: New to forum- and I reek

Welcome Lisa!

Yes, it's a valuable lesson that most of us have learned. Some of us still buy blind! I'm guilty

The trick is to read some of these reviews first, before you buy blind. At that point, it's an "informed" decision.

cheers!
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Welcome to Basenotes Lisa,
    Have you ever tried any Creed perfumes? Creed is absolutely the best perfume around. Check it out, you can smell it at Neiman Marcus, and you can get it for a great price at fragrance.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes Lisa,
    Have you ever tried any Creed perfumes? Creed is absolutely the best perfume around. Check it out, you can smell it at Neiman Marcus, and you can get it for a great price at fragrance.net
    Oh, good grief. Oliver, be a man and buy an ad.

Welcome to basenotes, Lisa!

I still buy blind sometimes, but not often. There's really no need, since most everything can be bought as a sample, or scored in a swap. That's one of the things I like about basenotes--it gives me the chance to keep a tidy wardrobe of favorites by swapping off bottles I'd like to clear out. Tastes vary widely, and I've swapped several bottles I didn't care for to dear fellow basenoter who liked them very much. Specifically, I don't like orange blossom but Quarry and Tovah both love it.

I hope you enjoy your time here, and have a blast trying everything!
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Basenotes, the best place on the windy earth! Still buying them blind, have been extremely lucky -- I enjoy almost everything there is to smell. Some people gamble, and some are even lucky at it, so with me hunting a new bottle is almost always a surpirse with multiple facets and things to ponder. I have also been blessed by wisdom and generosity of other Basenoters sharing their samples and impressions. Please jump right in, and be prepared for multiple life-preservers from all of us! You might also need to stock up on "Proceed with Caution" signs for your credit card.

LOL and agree with Shy's first line! Good frigging grief!

Thank you for the warm welcome! I am glad that I am not the only person who has bought "blind". Just last month I did not know there were different notes to perfume. I have a greater appreciation thanks to this site and the members.

Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Basenotes! You don't reek, you smell wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    That's one of the things I like about basenotes--it gives me the chance to keep a tidy wardrobe of favorites by swapping off bottles I'd like to clear out. Tastes vary widely, and I've swapped several bottles I didn't care for to dear fellow basenoter who liked them very much. Specifically, I don't like orange blossom but Quarry and Tovah both love it.
    I hope you enjoy your time here, and have a blast trying everything!

When I first came to this board I thought I feared florals. Our darling Shycat sent me a package filled with samples of gardenia, tuberose, Spring Flowers (it's Creed, ), etc., with a tiny little note that said, "If you like these, I will laugh!"

So, guess what my wardrobe is full of now?

And Quarry's got me layering. (She's a layering genius, btw).:wave:

So you're going to have fun trying and we'll have fun enabling, tee hee.:bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Still buying them blind, have been extremely lucky -- I enjoy almost everything there is to smell.
    Hi Goodkarma - like your name!
    Twolf is so lucky her skin is easygoing . Mine is picky, so consequently I have to test everything first (I learned this the way you did, buying unsniffed). But, I think sampling is a lot of fun. You can try so many samples for the price of a bottle! Ebay figures prominently into that game plan, to let you know.
    Oh, btw, what fragrances do you like? That helps a lot for recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcomewelcome Goodkarma!! :bounce: Am sure your name is fortuitous - proven by all the great responses you're getting from us BNers!!

I'm a newie too and have made several blind buys (one this very day!! A killer deal on L'Interdit at Marshall's). I'm lucky - like TWolf - so far they've all been triumphs.

May I add to the other, excellent, suggestions: When you have some time, list and post your wardrobe, also what you might like to swap (like the unlucky Lucky and the CK) and really get into the swing of things! You'll be addicted in no time!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome.

We all make mistakes, its not the end of the world.
    DONNA

Welcome to the forum!
    Hope you will have nice times here.

WELCOME to the forum GOODKARMA (great name)! I've also made a few "mistakes" with buying blind, but don't really consider them mistakes per se, as there's always someone to trade with or "gift" them to.
    I do love samples and decants for this reason though, as my chemistry is not as forgiving as some of the other "lucky" members.
    Since I am a newbie as well, and have much to learn, I lean heavily on the knowledge of the "oldtimers". They are always helpful! Enjoy the forum!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce: