Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 43 of 43

Thread: YSL L'Homme

  1. #1

    Default YSL L'Homme

    It has been bashed a lot at Basenotes, but I recently retried it and found L'Homme very pleasant yet elegant. It's not Kouros, M7 or Rive Gauche, but I'm just wondering if it was, say, from Armani, Ralph Laren or Hugo Boss would it be better accepted here? What's your opinion on this one?

  2. #2

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    I think its not bad either. I think people hate it because it not crazy unique or daring. I don't know why people even hate the bottle. I thought the bottle was nice and classy atleast as much as dior Homme.

    It probaly a rather expensive bottle to make.If I weighed the bottle and atleast in my collection it would be the heaviest bottle. Beating out even 200 mL bottles when it itself is only a 100mL bottle.

    People are probaly angry at YSL for making an generally unoffensive safe scent which makes them appear to sell out.

  3. #3

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    I agree with you Breeze11, - Im a little surprised it has been met with predominantly negative reviews where, to my mind, it is a non-offensive and rather enjoyable scent.

    This is the review I wrote for basenotes that is still "pending":

    'L'Homme' pales next to 'Rive Gauche PH' in the YSL portfolio as far as 'modern classic' scents are concerned, however there is a delicious substance and depth that should not be overlooked here.
    L'Homme captivates with its shimmering citrus and herbaceous blend and its dry-down proves softer and warmer than its fresh opening accords.
    The wife thinks its dead sexy, so its already a winner in my book. It's clean, fresh, and has a certain 'je ne sais pas' that makes it likeable and extremely wearable for most occasions. Stacked next to its predicessors, this is YSL's attempt to capture a more youthful audience. And it does just that.

    Im actually wearing it today... quel coincidence!

  4. #4

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    I am not impressed by this one at all, specially not if you compare them IMO to the the other YSL scents; they are all much more unique, daring and complex.
    Current Favourites: Touaregh -Il Profumo/ Le Vainqueur- Rue Rance/ Versus Uomo -Versace/ Sculpture -Nikos/ Acier Aluminium - Creed/ Santal Noble - MPG

  5. #5

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    Compared to the other YSL offerings, it is not so daring. But YSL is also in business to make a profit, not always satisfy the quirky tastes of the minority. Dimitri admits that it is not as daring and unique up against the other YSLs, but alone, it does perfectly what it was designed to do. I sampled it in Dallas this weekend and think it is a very nice scent.

    Unfortunately some of the the 'darling favored scents' of basenotes sometimes don't equate to profit for companies. We here appreciate their artistry and uniqueness, but the mass market doesn't always follow. Examples:
    Dior Homme
    M7
    Rive Gauche Pour Homme

    L'Homme is an attempt by YSL, I guess, to hopefully have a scent that sells alot and puts YSL in a better financial position. Can we argue with that business decision?

  6. #6

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    My wife thinks it's dead sexy, too. My young son smelled it on me and really liked it. I need to wear it more often.

    It's a good everyday type scent. Reminds me of Dunhill 2004. There's a little boozy note, but it's fresh at the same time.

    It's modern, hip, clean and masculine.

  7. #7

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    Not that original, but It's a decent fragrance. It's casual but with a touch of class (reminiscent of those golden YSL years). Its longevity is good.

  8. #8

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    L'Homme is an attempt by YSL, I guess, to hopefully have a scent that sells alot and puts YSL in a better financial position. Can we argue with that business decision?
    These are my thoughts exactly. Still a boring frag IMHO but I hope it sells so they can continue to put out some other more captivating frags.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

  9. #9

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme


    I agree that, for what it is, YSL L'Homme is still a notch above the rest. You can tell there's a certain care that's been taken with its formulation. In a recent post, I mentioned why we should all be rooting for it to succeed and pointed to a possible consequence of its not succeeding. I beg the my fellow Basenoters' indulgence to introduce those comments here where they seem appropriate given that there are others who also share my hope that is does succeed:

    ". . . I think we should all be rooting for YSL, hoping that is finds a middle ground that will allow it to commission great fragrances along with
    YSL L'Hommes despite the dictates of the market. Of course, it could always split itself in two and have an upmarket, exclusive line of fragrances-- the likes of Dior and Hermès--in order to produce quality and compelling fragrances, but if it does, we'll all be paying more for quality YSL fragrances, something, incidentally, we've never had to do."

    scentemental

    P.S. I will be buying a bottle of YSL L'Homme for myself soon.


    Last edited by scentemental; 6th April 2007 at 01:20 AM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    YSL L'Homme sucks. Plain and simple. It smells like, if you must insist it has a smell, softly softly softly scented water.
    Awesomeguy

  11. #11

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Compared to the other YSL offerings, it is not so daring. But YSL is also in business to make a profit, not always satisfy the quirky tastes of the minority. Dimitri admits that it is not as daring and unique up against the other YSLs, but alone, it does perfectly what it was designed to do. I sampled it in Dallas this weekend and think it is a very nice scent.

    Unfortunately some of the the 'darling favored scents' of basenotes sometimes don't equate to profit for companies. We here appreciate their artistry and uniqueness, but the mass market doesn't always follow. Examples:
    Dior Homme
    M7
    Rive Gauche Pour Homme


    L'Homme is an attempt by YSL, I guess, to hopefully have a scent that sells alot and puts YSL in a better financial position. Can we argue with that business decision?
    I totally agree with this member - Jock_With_Scents is a member who I tend NOT to agree with.

    YSL L'Homme is a safe scent. It does not smell like Urine; Shaving Cream; or some other scent that appeals to homosexual men. It rivals the best from Giorgio Armani, Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Lacoste (etc.) and other mainstream designers, IMO.

    I haven't had the privilege to hold a conversation with the member Serpent when he was active on this board. However, you should definitely read these two threads:

    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=186854
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=185536

    Very respected member of mine (although he has differing opinions).
    Last edited by Shiver; 6th April 2007 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Posted in the wrong thread

  12. #12

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    IMO, it would have definitely received a positive responce from the Basenotes Community.[/QUOTE]

    There are only a handful of fragrances that receive a unanimous "respoce."

    That's what makes this hobby so much fun.

    We're united here by our love of fragrance, but we're still individuals with different tastes.

    I agree that this one is somewhat of a disappointment compared to other YSL releases, but I agree with Scentimental's proposal as well. First and foremost, fragrance is a BUSINESS and YSL has released so many daring, artful fragrances that I'll allow a mediocre entry...this time!
    Last edited by Stranger; 6th April 2007 at 02:51 AM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    I tried this the other day and found it to be a clean, well made fragrance. This is YSL's "Allure homme" - an inoffensive all-purpose pleasant smelling fragrance. Every house should have one all-purpose frag. The bottle is more impressive than the juice though. Still, I might pick up a bottle if I get a good discount on it.
    -

  14. #14

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    Is it my taste in frags that you do not agree with Shiver? Just curious. I don't see myself as a member that would cause another member to have strong opinions against me. Please let me know so that I can correct it.

  15. #15

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    Not your taste in fragrances, Jock_With_Scents. Just your opinions on other threads.

    I'm sorry if I caused any misunderstanding.
    Last edited by Shiver; 6th April 2007 at 03:21 AM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    That is cool....I knew and many others did too why you 'don't agree with me'. I just needed for you to come clean for the record and you did. Thanks for your clarification.

  17. #17

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    I consider this to be a ''me too'' fragrance which doesnt really have any identity. Unfortunately it comes from YSL which i think has created some great fragrances for men.

    It smells fruity & the opening resembles to the opening notes of CK one. It would just get lost in myriad of other fragrances that are there. What makes this even worse is its pathetic longevity on me. For me it offers the shortest longevity amongst all the ysl offerings that i have (and i must say i have quite a few from YSL).

    I have thought of selling my bottle on ebay so many times but everytime i look at the bottle i think, No, lemme just keep it for the bottle. I think the bottle with the cap just looks gorgeous. I don't quite care for the contents though.

    gupts
    Last edited by gupts; 6th April 2007 at 08:19 AM. Reason: wanted it in blue

  18. #18

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    It's a very boring, clean, fresh frag, that even if it's not bad-smelling, it's as many people have said very safe, i mean i have met tuna-lettuce salads with more personality....

    Many people have difficulty in differentiating this one as well, a couple of months ago, in one of the many test-drives i gave YSLL'H, someone said to me that it smells like everything typical for men that's out on the market.

    I thought that it was too broad a comment, but she might have been onto something.
    I think i wrote a review for this one...

  19. #19

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    I guess my observation is that it's a good scent for just smelling good, not a good scent if someone is an afficianado of scent.

    It's probably not distinctive enough to impress this crowd. It's a Toyota Camry. When you drive it through this crowd of Ferrari's and Bentley's, this Camry is not going to wow anyone.

    That said, I'll wear YSL L'Homme over many niche scents I have owned and tried.

  20. #20

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    I wore this to dinner last night and enjoyed it. Nothing special, but I needed a 'safe, no-brainer' scent in my wardrobe that I cannot overspray even with my heavy hand.

    A good addition to my wardrobe and the bottle is a winner. Come on YSL, we are cheering for you now. Make a big profit on this baby and then give us another 'artistic shocker scent'.

  21. #21

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    I have random question to ask. What does IMO stand for?

  22. #22

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    IMO is In My Opinion

  23. #23

    Angry Re: YSL L'Homme

    YSL L'Homme is a safe scent. It does not smell like Urine; Shaving Cream; or some other scent that appeals to homosexual men.

    Shiver you are an ignorant idiot. Why don't you go get some more your Brut and Old Spice and go to your Nascar rally and discuss the deep humor of Jeff Foxworthy.

    Jeez!

  24. #24

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    I wore this 2 days ago. I overdid it, which I've been prone to lately. Still, it's nice.

    3 sprays would achieve a subtle aura. 5 will flat-out choke you.

  25. #25

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    LOL LMAO..I'd hate to be the poster boy for," See!...if Squire likes it it IS a safe scent!" lol

    BUT......you all guessed it right. I'm gonna post a thread on my adventures at Roosevelt Field on LI this past Monday.

    The woman behind the Nordstrom counter brought over Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme BECAUSE I told her that I did not like M7 at all. Very 'Incense" smelling.

    So she sprayed L'Homme on my right wrist and on the card...the card first. The wife LOVED it as well as the young counter woman..lol. She said that L'Homme is reallll nice and I'm a "clean scented woody typr of fragrance person" when it come to my colognes. I'm kind of done with the PI Givenchy and realll musky colognes. Amost doen with L'eau Dissey..want new adventures, will not buy it again.

    Man'.....L'Homme is awesome to me. I guess that would be an evening wear cologne? For warm AND cold weather?

    Thought you guys would get a kick out of it....lol. I guess they HAVE gone a bit "Commercial" with this scent BUT I dont see those cologne commercials on TV or anything. I think it's a great choice...yes...safe..but if the broads love it...hey..why not!

  26. #26

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterV View Post
    Shiver you are an ignorant idiot. Why don't you go get some more your Brut and Old Spice and go to your Nascar rally and discuss the deep humor of Jeff Foxworthy.

    Jeez!
    PeterV, please grow the f**k up.

    If it is you are fishing for a flame, you wouldn't get it with me, as I refuse to lower myself having a flame with someone like you. It really isn't worth it. If you want to bash members here for simply voicing their opinions, by all means feel free to. The rest of us will wait and see how far you'll get.

    Have a great day.

    EDIT: Your post, which clearly indicates your level of immaturity, has been reported.
    Last edited by Shiver; 11th April 2007 at 07:30 PM.

  27. #27

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    Please keep this thread on topic, and take any disagreements to private message

    Thanks
    Last edited by Grant; 11th April 2007 at 08:17 PM.

  28. #28

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    I just sampled this today at Lord & Taylor's and I have to agree with most of the "scentiments" so far ... it's neither a stinker nor a stunner.

    BTW, if anyone is thinking of purchasing this, Scentiments has a great price for a 3.4 oz. tester here.

  29. #29
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,570

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    I remember the SA at Nordstroms telling me to try the new YSL L'homme since he 'loved it' and it really was a 'yawner' for me - truly bored me.

    Perhaps this was due to the fact that the colognes I am getting excited about now include pretty daring and expressive scents and/or good-ol classics.

    I remember smelling Jicky RIGHT BEFORE I smelled L'Homme...maybe I shouldn't have done that

  30. #30

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    My most recent trip to Nordstrom had SAs pushing YSL Homme too. I think it is its turn on the promotions wheel.

    The smell does nothing for me either.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  31. #31

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I tried this the other day and found it to be a clean, well made fragrance. This is YSL's "Allure homme" - an inoffensive all-purpose pleasant smelling fragrance. Every house should have one all-purpose frag. The bottle is more impressive than the juice though. Still, I might pick up a bottle if I get a good discount on it.
    Good comparison. I guess, when Allure Homme just came out, many thought that it wasn't what real Chanel fragrance should smell like. Allure became the bestseller, but it doesn't smell like Antaeus or Egoiste...
    Last edited by breeze11; 12th April 2007 at 07:53 AM.

  32. #32

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    My first impressions about l'homme were negative

    it's because I expected something in the style of YSL - very daring , original

    if you like correct scent, it would be not a bad choice.
    l'homme would be a great alternative to Hugo Boss scents
    Last edited by DreamerII; 12th April 2007 at 02:44 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

    Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

  33. #33

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    It is a great office, morning, or public place fragrance..
    it is kind of fragrance that won't harm the others niether you.

  34. #34

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    Good to see fellow BN'ers revising their initial reviews on this fragrance.

    Not being Daring is a good thing about YSL, IMO. No more "Urinal cake" (whatever the **** that is?), "Barber shop smell", or "Strong Coriander note" comments.
    Last edited by Shiver; 14th April 2007 at 02:13 PM.

  35. #35

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    I sampled YSL's "L'homme Eau d'été" (Limited Edition) yesterday, and was disappointed to find practically no difference to the original.
    Its fresh and enjoyable, but its longevity is lacking. Aside from that, nothing more and nothing less than the original release.
    I had kind of hoped they'd "turn up the volume" by playing with some of its citrus, ginger or violet accords, ... but... nothing.

    Anyone else have the same opinion of this "Eau d'été" version?

  36. #36

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    Oooherr! Some pretty harsh criticism on this one!
    Quite surprising for a scent that is fundamentally quite middle-of-the-road.
    I think it's pleasant and fresh. Could use this one as an office or everyday scent. Nothing extraordinarily unique or daring, but nice all round.

  37. #37

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
    I totally agree with this member - Jock_With_Scents is a member who I tend NOT to agree with.

    YSL L'Homme is a safe scent. It does not smell like Urine; Shaving Cream; or some other scent that appeals to homosexual men. It rivals the best from Giorgio Armani, Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Lacoste (etc.) and other mainstream designers, IMO.

    I haven't had the privilege to hold a conversation with the member Serpent when he was active on this board. However, you should definitely read these two threads:

    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=186854
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=185536

    Very respected member of mine (although he has differing opinions).
    I'm still trying to understand your first sentence. Did you read your post after writing it?

    and you may respect your member... but your member is in your pants. probably smelling of urine and shaving cream.

    Jock with scents has pretty good taste as far as I'm concerned. He's recommended a few really good fragrances. He's among a handful with good taste and the ability to expess himself clearly.
    One of the reasons I like this place.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 29th April 2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling

  38. #38

    Lightbulb Re: YSL L'Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by breeze11 View Post
    [...] if it was, say, from Armani, Ralph Laren or Hugo Boss would it be better accepted here?
    I doubt it. How well are RL and Boss fragrances accepted here in the first place?

    Funny you mention RL. The closest comparison for YSL L'Homme I can think of is RL Romance.

  39. #39

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by d4 View Post
    I doubt it. How well are RL and Boss fragrances accepted here in the first place?

    Funny you mention RL. The closest comparison for YSL L'Homme I can think of is RL Romance.
    Here on Basenotes, Ralph Lauren frags have a mixed bag of reception, ranging from pretty darn good to lousy. A lot of people here do like Polo Double Black, their most recent release. Likewise, Safari for men and Polo Blue are also well regarded. Polo (original) is a love/hate scent here on the level of Kouros, Antaeus, or Angel Men.

    As for Hugo Boss frags, the reception is pretty negative, especially among European Basenoters (though a lot of American Basenoters hate them, too, for being too generic and too similar to each other).
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

  40. #40

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    I'm still trying to understand your first sentence. Did you read your post after writing it?

    and you may respect your member... but your member is in your pants. probably smelling of urine and shaving cream.

    Jock with scents has pretty good taste as far as I'm concerned. He's recommended a few really good fragrances. He's among a handful with good taste and the ability to expess himself clearly.
    One of the reasons I like this place.
    I find it strange you now noticed that post after such a long period. Perhaps you are going blind?

    If you read my followup post more carefully, which I know could be difficult for your aging and senile mind, you'll notice that I apologised to JWS and made clear that I, like many others, respect his taste in fragrances.

    I'm also proud of the member in my pants, which you claimed smells of urine and shaving cream. I'm sure many other male BN'ers are proud of theirs too. But you, as a member of this fine community, have absolutely nothing to be proud of. You are an embarrassment and a shame to Basenotes with your poor taste and senseless, off-topic replies. I don't think members here expect much of you, yet you are a menace to this community.

    This is neither the first or second time you have tried to start a flame with me and I am beginning to feel frustrated being constantly harrassed by you, fredricktoo. Chris or Grant may ask me to take this to PM's because of the risk of ruining the community's reputation and I agree. You'll regret it if that ever happens, as I've had enough of your BS.
    Last edited by Shiver; 29th April 2007 at 07:20 PM.

  41. #41

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
    I find it strange you now noticed that post after such a long period. Perhaps you are going blind?

    If you read my followup post more carefully, which I know could be difficult for your aging and senile mind, you'll notice that I apologised to JWS and made clear that I, like many others, respect his taste in fragrances.

    I'm also proud of the member in my pants, which you claimed smells of urine and shaving cream. I'm sure many other male BN'ers are proud of theirs too. But you, as a member of this fine community, have absolutely nothing to be proud of. You are an embarrassment and a shame to Basenotes with your poor taste and senseless, off-topic replies. I don't think members here expect much of you, yet you are a menace to this community.

    This is neither the first or second time you have tried to start a flame with me and I am beginning to feel frustrated being constantly harrassed by you, fredricktoo. Chris or Grant may ask me to take this to PM's because of the risk of ruining the community's reputation and I agree. You'll regret it if that ever happens, as I've had enough of your BS.
    Start a poll Shiver. Write it up as above and we'll see how the voting goes. If you win, I'll leave. If I win you leave. How come after you report other people and Grant tells you to stay on topic, you post here instead of IM's. I knew I should have never taken you off ignore.
    Start the poll. I'd love it.
    --------------------------------------
    Shiver don't forget PM's you were told once.
    PM me if you have a problem.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 29th April 2007 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  42. #42

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    Start a poll Shiver. Write it up as above and we'll see how the voting goes. If you win, I'll leave. If I win you leave. How come after you report other people and Grant tells you to stay on topic, you post here instead of IM's. I knew I should have never taken you off ignore.
    Start the poll. I'd love it.
    --------------------------------------
    Shiver don't forget PM's you were told once.
    PM me if you have a problem.
    So now you want to play games with me? Start a poll? You have to be insane. I'd also like to know who's the "people" I reported. It looks like Peter V, according to you, is more than one person?

    You're a joke, fredricktoo. I don't play games with lunatics.
    Last edited by Shiver; 29th April 2007 at 11:45 PM.

  43. #43

    Default Re: YSL L'Homme

    PM's Shiver

    I've never tried YSL L'Homme

    I like cologne

Similar Threads

  1. YSL L'HOMME vs. Lancome Hypnose
    By KiatBkk in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 19th December 2007, 07:07 AM
  2. I just got a YSL L'Homme promo postcard...
    By Serpent in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10th August 2006, 11:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •