Code of Conduct

Default Today I've met Berlusconi at Douglas, he was purchasing Caron Pour Homme.

Today when I was going home from work I stopped by Douglas(a profumary shop in Milano, I dunno if there is any Douglas also in the rest of the world...) to by a hair gel, ad all of a sudden there were all these 2.5m tall men in black suit out of the door and Berlusconi walked in!
    Hahahah I could not believe my eye, since that wasn't a very high-end profumary. There wasn't any other customer in the shop, just me and him other than the sales ladies! LOL

I remember he asked for Caron Pour Homme a special size bottle, I don't remember what size.

Default Re: Today I've met Berlusconi at Douglas, he was purchasing Caron Pour Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by Musician View Post
    I remember he asked for Caron Pour Homme a special size bottle, I don't remember what size.
    Apparently it comes in 70ml, 100ml, 200ml and 740ml (!) sizes.

Default Re: Today I've met Berlusconi at Douglas, he was purchasing Caron Pour Homme.

I always liked him. Maybe I'll run into him in Anghiari, Tuscany? But by then he could be Prime Minister again!

This is, by far, the most unbelievable story I have ever read on basenotes. "Met Berlusconi at Douglas". Maybe he was buying something for his bodyguards. By the way: Douglas exists in Germany, too. But I have never met the chancellor(ess?), Angie Merkel. Guess she doesn't wear a cologne.

Unhappy Re: Today I've met Berlusconi at Douglas, he was purchasing Caron Pour Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    This is, by far, the most unbelievable story I have ever read on basenotes. "Met Berlusconi at Douglas". Maybe he was buying something for his bodyguards. By the way: Douglas exists in Germany, too. But I have never met the chancellor(ess?), Angie Merkel. Guess she doesn't wear a cologne.

ARE YOU SAYING THAT YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME?

The craziest thing is that I was ALONE in the store with him except sales personel! The bodyguards are at the entrance of the store!

Maybe Berlusconi wanted a loo break enroute somewhere else... ?
    -

Dependent

Come live in nyc, after a while seeing people from the front page becomes wearisome. I wish I had a nickel for everytime I saw malcom Forbes and bodyguards tearing through the Lincoln Tunnel on Harleys when he was alive. I wore Quorum then.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 3rd April 2007 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    Angie Merkel. Guess she doesn't wear a cologne.
    No one knows. Possibly "Angeliques Sous La Pluie"?

I wonder if Sig. Berlusconi hasnt a factotum that cares exclusively for his personell shopping? Like: Hey, I have finished my first liter of Pour Homme. Go to Douglas and bring another one. If the story is true he has at least a good taste in frags...
    Last edited by costello; 3rd April 2007 at 10:29 PM.
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

Post Re: Today I've met Berlusconi at Douglas, he was purchasing Caron Pour Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by costello View Post
    No one knows. Possibly "Angeliques Sous La Pluie"?

I wonder if Sig. Berlusconi hasnt a factotum that cares exclusively for his personell shopping? Like: Hey, I have finished my first liter of Pour Homme. Go to Douglas and bring another one. If the story is true he has at least a good taste in frags...

IT'S TRUE IT'S TRUE IT'S TRUE!!! :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Musician View Post
    IT'S TRUE IT'S TRUE IT'S TRUE!!! :'(
    Dont worry, I believe you!!! It sounds just so incredible....
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

Talking Re: Today I've met Berlusconi at Douglas, he was purchasing Caron Pour Homme.

Hi,

I'm not so surprised by this story. Some years ago, around Christmas I saw Madeleine Albright in the SMN perfumery shop of Florence, together with a number of VIPs, politicians, diplomatists (and bodyguards) buying an incredible quantity of perfumes and various items for her relatives, friends and so on. I couldn't buy anything... The salespersons were frantic...
    The episode was reported also on the newpapers.

Anyway I'm so sorry that Berlusconi wears Caron pour un Homme. A dream smashed to bits... Such a classic and refined fragrance...

BTW, doesn't Angie Merkel wear 4711? No, pardon... Russisch Leder?

Hugs. Wald

Forced by circumstance:

1/2 litre of Caron pour un Homme

for immediate sale !

'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

A good fragrance spoiled. Ah well.

ForZa Berlusconi! ForZa AC-Milan!

Die Hard AC-Milan fan

(for those who dont know, Berlusconi is the owner of our beloved Ac Milan Club)
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Forced by circumstance:

1/2 litre of Caron pour un Homme

for immediate sale !

Guys, relax,
    if you knew what Hitler, Stalin or Joseph McCarthy wore, would that lead you to dump your Knize 10 or Old Spice? Napoleon, as we all know, wore Farina 1709, and he was a lot worse than Silvio. That won't keep ME from enjoying it. Let's face it, classic perfumery, music, art, fine wine etc. were created for bloodsucking aristocrats who lived it up on the backs of miserable wretches.

Now, thanks to Tom Paine & Adam Smith, we can enjoy this stuff, too and live...

the_good_life (descendent of 18th century miserable wretches)

P.S.: Anyway, he probably just bought it as a gift to make up with .... Umberto Bossi
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I think he's very bored in his new situation.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Unhappy Re: Today I've met Berlusconi at Douglas, he was purchasing Caron Pour Homme.

Ah, I'm sorry for the rant; I'm not even sure what DesGrieux actually meant. Sometimes I just get carried away... the_good_lfe's post made me notice how unnecessary my answer was.

Nice story Musician!
    I trust you also because Silvio is famous for loving shopping himself and those past days he was pretty around downtown in Milan so there was a good chance to hit him around.
    What wonders me is that, again, he hasn't learned the lesson... Mmmm.... A perfume for him and nothing, neither a small lil juice for his poor Veronica?!? She probably will post a letter on some magazine about him being too much keen to himself and not giving attentions to her!
    Ah, Silvio, Silvio...

We don't see a lot of famous people here in Portland Oregon.

Someone mentioned Caron Pour Homme coming in very large sizes... does anyone know why Caron makes such large bottles of it?

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Guys, relax,
    if you knew what Hitler, Stalin or Joseph McCarthy wore, would that lead you to dump your Knize 10 or Old Spice? Napoleon, as we all know, wore Farina 1709, and he was a lot worse than Silvio.
    Would I drop Knize 10 - never !! Old Spice - also not, I met too many GI's as a boy (in Germany). I even use the Autobahn - so tell me what did Hitler wear, and Eva Braun? - I sound like you just talked me out of dumping PUH then! I still wish B. would stick to Emporio Armani !

Naming Napoleon and Berlusconi in one breath - debatable, to say the least, my friend! The decimal metering and money systems alone were worth an effort, and when in Cologne, where would we buy 4711 had he not ordered house numbers? DesGrieux - hope for nothing but hard arguments from me. We might be allies concerning Nap Bon, but history didn't really end there...:brolly:
    Last edited by narcus; 4th April 2007 at 03:09 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I'm close to removing all posts about politics here. I will if the posts continue.
    From the rules:
    #9: Avoid hot topics
    Posts/signatures that involve politics are expressly forbidden on this board.

Thank you,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvydas View Post
    We don't see a lot of famous people here in Portland Oregon. Someone mentioned Caron Pour Homme coming in very large sizes... does anyone know why Caron makes such large bottles of it?
    my holidays have started, that's why I am posting like mad.
    Large bottles are an old cosmetics, and veritable cologne tradition. Some decent old companies still maintain that service for traditional customers (that often meant: lifetime). The big bottles are for refilling the usual desk or shelf bottles and I only know ones with either a stopper or screw-on cap. This way you do not keep spending money for de luxe packaging and new spray systems. Very economic! Refills can be had with several great companies, but stores do not always carry them. I suspect they have a lower margin on refills. Divine offers them on the website, and even Malle does, albeit small ones only.

(p.s.: I wish somebody would pass that hint to Tauer so he could rethink his miserable strategy.)
    Last edited by narcus; 4th April 2007 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    my holidays have started, that's why I am posting like mad.
    Large bottles are an old cosmetics, and veritable cologne tradition. Some decent old companies still maintain that service for traditional customers (that often meant: lifetime). The big bottles are for refilling the usual desk or shelf bottles and I only know ones with either a stopper or screw-on cap. This way you do not keep spending money for de luxe packaging and new spray systems. Very economic! Refills can be had with several great companies, but stores do not always carry them. I suspect they have a lower margin on refills. Divine offers them on the website, and even Malle does, albeit small ones only.

(p.s.: I wish somebody would pass that hint to Tauer so he could rethink his miserable strategy.)
    That's interesting, thanks. I also heard that Caron Pour Homme was designed to go well with the scent of food, and to be worn with dinner. I thought maybe that was why the large bottles were made (maybe as a diluted splash).

I've deleted six posts from this thread that were what I judged to be essentially political in nature. They involved issues of which political/historical figure was worse, who is a one-party-only system politician, and some other commentary I thought too political.

I've left some like/dislike Berlusconi posts here also, because the man is simply a public figure. Were a movie actor public figure the subject of this thread, and I didn't like the actor's work, it would be a reasonable post to say "well, another good fragrance ruined for me." So I'm not judging those posts to be political referenda.

Several of the posts I deleted, and the ones I'm leaving, are good-natured fun between members and I don' find them offensive or irritating. I do find, however, that they violate the direct letter and spirit of a Basenotes rule:
    "#9: Avoid hot topics
    Posts/signatures that involve politics are expressly forbidden on this board."

I think we're all intellectually curious people here, and I think it natural and healthy even to have wide-ranging discussions. It is also my responsibility to remove and request the avoidance of subjects that even if not out-of-control, can easily become out-of-control.

I'm not an angry moderator about this, and no members need to worry or fear, but I am a responsible moderator about this.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thumbs up Re: Today I've met Berlusconi at Douglas, he was purchasing Caron Pour Homme.

Well said and well done DustB, you are an excellent moderator.

I agree that things can get out of control, mainly - I believe - due to the misunderstanding between members. After all, we were communicating with practically one-liners. Thus the actual opinion or perspective is easily misunderstood. I have noticed it's common, that differencies in opinions are not always as real as they first seem, even when talking with fellow philosophers in my own language, let alone when communicating like this.

I hope nobody got hurt here .

Fair Call DustB

So Chris, what would George W. Bush wear?
    Just kidding man, you're doing a great job moderating here.

Regards,
    trumpet_guy

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post
    So Chris, what would George W. Bush wear?
    He wears Gendarme, according to perfumeshrine. No comment on the name, but it seems apt.

Quote Originally Posted by yonggoh View Post
    ForZa Berlusconi! ForZa AC-Milan!

Die Hard AC-Milan fan

(for those who dont know, Berlusconi is the owner of our beloved Ac Milan Club)
    Maybe he was trying the forget the AC Milan/Bayern Munich Champions League draw, hehehee

Actually, I was on the opposite end of the spectum and was so delighted with the draw (and 2 aways goals!) that I bought some Versace Man Eau Fraiche on Ebay.

The smell of victory is in the air, and I intend to be there with a flacon to capture it!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Dependent

Could we move this somewhere else. It's no longer relavent to Caron pour Homme and I'm sick of hearing about Berlesconi. some Italian has been. Originally I thought he was an actor.