Code of Conduct

Default Thread Spinoff - Linden-Trivia For the Day

A"linden" tree or "tilleul" tree is a tree (or bush) that's called "lime blossom" in many places in the US. This is a complete misnomer because it infers that the scent is of the blossoms on a citrus lime tree - like orange blossom, lemon blossom, etc. It's not. A Linden tree (genus Tilia), is also known as a Basswood tree.

Linden Tree:

Linden is one of my favorite notes in perfumes. It's uplifting, unusual, and enchanting. Some fragrances with Linden are:

L'Artisan L'Ete en douce
    D'Orsay Tilleul
    L'Artisan d'Humeur Reveuse
    L'Artisan La Chasse aux Papillons
    DSH Perfumes Les Petites
    DSH French Linden Blossom
    Jo Malone
    DSH Perfumes Lili
    Jo Malone French Lime Blossom
    Voluspa Linden Blond Tabac
    Provence Sante Tilleul
    Ava Luxe Linden Blossom
    Lothanique Linden
    Zents Elixir
    Bond No. 9 Hamptons

Default Re: Thread Spinoff - Linden-Trivia For the Day

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah View Post
    A"linden" tree or "tilleul" tree is a tree (or bush) that's called "lime blossom" in many places in the US. This is a complete misnomer because it infers that the scent is of the blossoms on a citrus lime tree - like orange blossom, lemon blossom, etc. It's not. A Linden tree (genus Tilia), is also known as a Basswood tree.

L'Artisan L'Ete en douce
    D'Orsay Tilleul
    L'Artisan d'Humeur Reveuse
    L'Artisan La Chasse aux Papillons
    DSH Perfumes Les Petites
    DSH French Linden Blossom
    Jo Malone
    DSH Perfumes Lili
    Jo Malone French Lime Blossom
    Voluspa Linden Blond Tabac
    Provence Sante Tilleul
    Ava Luxe Linden Blossom
    Lothanique Linden
    Zents Elixir
    Bond No. 9 Hamptons
    Tovah, you're my hero! I'm always looking for good Linden fragrances! But don't forget to add my cheap bath store must-have:

Pre de Provence Linden Blossom
    --------------------------------------
    By the way, Tovah, what can you tell me about Ava Luxe? I'm considering picking up some samples, and I wondered if they are natural, or if they also use synthetics? Would you know?
    Last edited by Kotori; 5th April 2007 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Tovah, you're my hero! I'm always looking for good Linden fragrances! But don't forget to add my cheap bath store must-have:

Pre de Provence Linden Blossom
    --------------------------------------
    By the way, Tovah, what can you tell me about Ava Luxe? I'm considering picking up some samples, and I wondered if they are natural, or if they also use synthetics? Would you know?
    Sorry, I don't know about naturals vs. synthetics with Ava Luxe. I highly recommend DHS Essense Studios for a huge variety of scent samples, too. She's got some incredibly beautiful fragrances. (www.dshperfumes.com). Also Talisman Natural Perfume Essences (www.madini.com), Nantucket Natural Oils (www.nantucketnaturaloils.com), and Ayala Moriel (www.ayalamoriel.com). Thanks for the Pre de Provence tip - I haven't tried but will!

Did you try Bond's Eau de Noho? I got a generous sample from our lovely Twolf and smell a strong linden blossom note that is almost as beautiful as the one in Tilleul, only greener and less honeyed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Great post! Where was it a year ago? When I was so confused with all the synonyms???

Please tell me what are your favorites?
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I get samples from Nature's Gift when I order my glass vials. Most natural essential oils have a simple beauty, but I don't consider them "complete" fragrances appropriate for wearing alone. I've tried to blend them, but I always come up with overdone, busy, jangling concoctions that I wouldn't wear to a dogfight.

Anyway, they sent me a vial of 10% Linden essential oil from France, and I loved it. I actually wore it as a perfume. I will buy that one. Amazing aroma, linden blossoms. I totally agree, it is captivating.